✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[21-Mar-2014] Coldplay @ Sony Pictures Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Tash

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily the best event I've ever been to. For those of you who don't know this about me yet let me tell you. Coldplay is my absolute all-time favorite band. I've had a love affair with their music for 15 years now. Literally every one of their albums coincides with a different era of my life. So in a weird way their music is a guide map and a soundtrack to my life. So each time they put out something new it signals change and new time of my life.

That said, my latest chapter started off with a bang. I was able to go see them last night at Sony Studios in Culver City. I had no idea if Laura and I would be able to get in and kept my excitement level to a minimum. That was until they snapped the wristband on and I knew for sure I was getting in. I had a nice preview before we got in by getting to be next to the studio building while the band was doing a rehearsal.

After hours of waiting anxiously surrounded by fans, one of which flew all the way from Turkey to see the show, we were finally let in. The setup was unbelievable. The entrance into the venue was thru a giant studio which was lit with a darkish red and filled with prop trees and candles. It immediately filled us all with the sense we were about to be let into a world of intimate music that which the world had not witnessed yet. Laura and I were gushing and I was a giddy as a schoolgirl. Our seats were astounding. The stage was dead center surrounded by a circle of seats. We were 15 feet away from the stage. Not a bad seat in the house. It was the sort of thing you dream of. Being that close to anything you dream of seeing is unbelievable.

After a few seconds of sitting and taking in the view we realized they would be taping this session. I noticed a tracking rail that went in a circle all the way around the stage. There were giant screens that also ran in a circle above us. This couldn't be real.

The stage manager came out and told us about the show and what to expect. The band would play 2 older songs to get going and then play the entirety of the new album Ghost Stories. I was losing my shit and Laura couldn't help but smile at my absolute joy. The stage manager made some funny remarks about not picking your nose and if you were there with someone you shouldn't be then maybe now was the time to get out. The crowd laughed and we all were bursting with anticipation.

Then Chris Martin came out and we all went nuts. He thanked us all for coming out to a venue of which we knew nothing about (which was true). No one had a clue as to what the show would be. He explained we were apart of history in that they were recording these next 2 shows to make a dvd which would release with the album (something they've never done). He also told us that we would hear the entire new album of which they had not played for anyone. I equated that idea to a famous painter who had a small opening for a gallery of their new work. I was honored beyond all belief to be in the same room sharing in a completely new sound and new songs. I could not believe it.

Coldplay came back out and started the show. They opened with Paradise and Clocks. The screens that surrounded the walls above us were playing video footage along with the song with random clips from what was being shot. It was truly like watching a painting come to life with color and sound and movement.

Then the fun stuff happened. The new record is going to amaze people. I think it is a detachment from the upbeat and colorful Mylo Xyloto (which to be fair was a concept album). Ghost Stories is a culmination of all that Coldplay as a band is to date. It’s filled with sweeping hooks and timeless melodies. However there is a new and interesting sound that you can tell the band has been keen on trying. Each song sounds completely different but is utterly connected to the previous one played. Seeing the imagery above along with the extreme chemistry the band has made for the most cinematic of concerts I've attended.

Seeing as how I've only heard most of the songs from tonight for the first time I cannot give a detailed review of all of them. However I can tell you that A Sky Full of Stars will be a huge hit for them very soon. Midnight, Magic and True Love are other stand outs from the record. But being completely honest there was not a single track that sounded like the weak part. This record is meant to be listened to start to finish.

Sadly the new album consists of only 9 songs which for any true Coldplay fan is just not enough. I'm spoiled and want 20 new songs lol. The band finished the new stuff and came back and played Viva La Vida (of which Chris came into the small crowd and literally ran to where Laura and I were standing.) He was 3 feet away and I could do nothing but smile like an idiot. I was starstruck for the first time ever. Their music has been the heartbeat of my life and I am so grateful for them. I would not be able to make sense if I ever spoke to them.

The night was finally over and after shedding some serious tears I accepted that they were gone and it was time to go home. I cry for multiple reasons when I see them. Firstly, their music evokes so much emotion and nostalgia for me. It also brings about such hope for the future. Secondly, there’s the sheer gratitude that my life allows me to be in the same room celebrating such a creative entity that is Coldplay. Thirdly, their music is just so fucking beautiful and it moves me in a way no one else does. Finally, when the show is over there’s the thought that I may never see them in concert again. Not in morbid manner, but life happens and bands split. I take that moment to enjoy all that I've heard and hope that I will share in this with them again one day.

As we were about to leave Laura and gathered a bunch of paper stars that had fired off during the show and I noticed the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow across the room with their beautiful children. Just a neat sight. The stage manager made it aware that Coldplay had left us a little present at the door. The pictures above are what they gave us. The signatures say it all. Just a special band that is genuine and caring and truly loves their fans.

All in all this has been one of the best nights of my life. Thanks again to Laura for taking me. I could not be more grateful. I may sound nuts but this night and hearing their new music inspired me to no end. Viva la vida. Loving life, loving you.

Easily the best event I've ever been to. For those of you who don't know this about me yet let me tell you. Coldplay is my absolute all-time favorite band. I've had a love affair with their music for 15 years now. Literally every one of their albums coincides with a different era of my life. So in a weird way their music is a guide map and a soundtrack to my life. So each time they put out something new it signals change and new time of my life.

That said, my latest chapter started off with a bang. I was able to go see them last night at Sony Studios in Culver City. I had no idea if Laura and I would be able to get in and kept my excitement level to a minimum. That was until they snapped the wristband on and I knew for sure I was getting in. I had a nice preview before we got in by getting to be next to the studio building while the band was doing a rehearsal.

After hours of waiting anxiously surrounded by fans, one of which flew all the way from Turkey to see the show, we were finally let in. The setup was unbelievable. The entrance into the venue was thru a giant studio which was lit with a darkish red and filled with prop trees and candles. It immediately filled us all with the sense we were about to be let into a world of intimate music that which the world had not witnessed yet. Laura and I were gushing and I was a giddy as a schoolgirl. Our seats were astounding. The stage was dead center surrounded by a circle of seats. We were 15 feet away from the stage. Not a bad seat in the house. It was the sort of thing you dream of. Being that close to anything you dream of seeing is unbelievable.

After a few seconds of sitting and taking in the view we realized they would be taping this session. I noticed a tracking rail that went in a circle all the way around the stage. There were giant screens that also ran in a circle above us. This couldn't be real.

The stage manager came out and told us about the show and what to expect. The band would play 2 older songs to get going and then play the entirety of the new album Ghost Stories. I was losing my shit and Laura couldn't help but smile at my absolute joy. The stage manager made some funny remarks about not picking your nose and if you were there with someone you shouldn't be then maybe now was the time to get out. The crowd laughed and we all were bursting with anticipation.

Then Chris Martin came out and we all went nuts. He thanked us all for coming out to a venue of which we knew nothing about (which was true). No one had a clue as to what the show would be. He explained we were apart of history in that they were recording these next 2 shows to make a dvd which would release with the album (something they've never done). He also told us that we would hear the entire new album of which they had not played for anyone. I equated that idea to a famous painter who had a small opening for a gallery of their new work. I was honored beyond all belief to be in the same room sharing in a completely new sound and new songs. I could not believe it.

Coldplay came back out and started the show. They opened with Paradise and Clocks. The screens that surrounded the walls above us were playing video footage along with the song with random clips from what was being shot. It was truly like watching a painting come to life with color and sound and movement.

Then the fun stuff happened. The new record is going to amaze people. I think it is a detachment from the upbeat and colorful Mylo Xyloto (which to be fair was a concept album). Ghost Stories is a culmination of all that Coldplay as a band is to date. It’s filled with sweeping hooks and timeless melodies. However there is a new and interesting sound that you can tell the band has been keen on trying. Each song sounds completely different but is utterly connected to the previous one played. Seeing the imagery above along with the extreme chemistry the band has made for the most cinematic of concerts I've attended.

Seeing as how I've only heard most of the songs from tonight for the first time I cannot give a detailed review of all of them. However I can tell you that A Sky Full of Stars will be a huge hit for them very soon. Midnight, Magic and True Love are other stand outs from the record. But being completely honest there was not a single track that sounded like the weak part. This record is meant to be listened to start to finish.

Sadly the new album consists of only 9 songs which for any true Coldplay fan is just not enough. I'm spoiled and want 20 new songs lol. The band finished the new stuff and came back and played Viva La Vida (of which Chris came into the small crowd and literally ran to where Laura and I were standing.) He was 3 feet away and I could do nothing but smile like an idiot. I was starstruck for the first time ever. Their music has been the heartbeat of my life and I am so grateful for them. I would not be able to make sense if I ever spoke to them.

The night was finally over and after shedding some serious tears I accepted that they were gone and it was time to go home. I cry for multiple reasons when I see them. Firstly, their music evokes so much emotion and nostalgia for me. It also brings about such hope for the future. Secondly, there’s the sheer gratitude that my life allows me to be in the same room celebrating such a creative entity that is Coldplay. Thirdly, their music is just so fucking beautiful and it moves me in a way no one else does. Finally, when the show is over there’s the thought that I may never see them in concert again. Not in morbid manner, but life happens and bands split. I take that moment to enjoy all that I've heard and hope that I will share in this with them again one day.

As we were about to leave Laura and gathered a bunch of paper stars that had fired off during the show and I noticed the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow across the room with their beautiful children. Just a neat sight. The stage manager made it aware that Coldplay had left us a little present at the door. The pictures above are what they gave us. The signatures say it all. Just a special band that is genuine and caring and truly loves their fans.

All in all this has been one of the best nights of my life. Thanks again to Laura for taking me. I could not be more grateful. I may sound nuts but this night and hearing their new music inspired me to no end. Viva la vida. Loving life, loving you.

that was a very well written review :) very vivid and very emotional. thank you for the review, now we're more hyped for the album than ever before :D :D

Thanks to everybody for all the reviews.

I would have given anything to be able to be there. I remember how it felt to hear Paradise 3 days before the release, so I can't even imagine how it must have been to have the full album, with such an incredible installation and experience, 2 months before the release. I'm kinda glad it all happens on the other side of the planet to be honest, I'd be dying if it all happened next door and I didn't manage to get a ticket or something! :lol:

Now I have a question for the people who have been there. According to this setlist, the band came on stage with something like a bit of O playing in the background.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31686[/ATTACH]

My question is, did it sound anything like the intro at the iTunes Festival? (First 25 seconds)

[video=youtube;JCEPvayuNvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCEPvayuNvk

Or were these 25 seconds part of Always in My Head?

If anybody remembers somethings and answers, thank you very much :) In all cases, thank you for reading!

Anyone else feel like this was totally unexpected? Not even one month ago this era was merely a rumour! Next we know, an album would be released less than 3 months after the first song was released!

I hope they start doing intimate shows, as that is what this album sounds best for. I also hope they release a mega pack with the CD, Vinyl, DVD/Blu-Ray and other material (bit like the MX book).

The band sound to have really gone back on what we thought, that every album was much more experimental. This seems like a Parachutes deal to me, in between ROBTH. It's the era everyone seems to want back, and I hope all Coldplayers love it

Anyone else feel like this was totally unexpected? Not even one month ago this era was merely a rumour! Next we know, an album would be released less than 3 months after the first song was released!

Yeah totally. Pretty overwhelmed by all the new info in such a short period of time.

Also just a tiny bit jealous of those who are going to the secret shows this weekend. Wish I could just take the next plain from Denmark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah totally. Pretty overwhelmed by all the new info in such a short period of time.

Also just a tiny bit jealous of those who are going to the secret shows this weekend. Wish I could just take the next plain from Denmark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, maybe Coldplay will do some small gigs to replicate these secret ones. I don't think a massive arena tour would suite this album

I am so overwhelmed just reading the reviews. I love the stage theme and that the confetti is stars to go with A Sky Full of Stars, which apparently is a stand out song for many. I am a puddle on the floor.....

Thanks so much for taking the time to write these reviews for us!

does oceans/stars seem a central theme?

I don't know that I'd call it central, but it certainly features prominently.

Thank you so much for the details!

Do you (or anyone else) by any chance remember what the "O" lyrics are about? Do they mention a "missing piece"? Thanks!

I don't remember "missing piece," but that doesn't mean it's not there. The only specific thing I remember about the O lyrics is the comparison of a flock of birds overhead to love. Trust me, it sounds way better in the song than in the way I described it, which is why I'm trying to avoid being detailed about much of anything I'm posting. :D

Thanks to everybody for all the reviews.

I would have given anything to be able to be there. I remember how it felt to hear Paradise 3 days before the release, so I can't even imagine how it must have been to have the full album, with such an incredible installation and experience, 2 months before the release. I'm kinda glad it all happens on the other side of the planet to be honest, I'd be dying if it all happened next door and I didn't manage to get a ticket or something! :lol:

Now I have a question for the people who have been there. According to this setlist, the band came on stage with something like a bit of O playing in the background.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31686[/ATTACH]

My question is, did it sound anything like the intro at the iTunes Festival? (First 25 seconds)

[video=youtube;JCEPvayuNvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCEPvayuNvk

Or were these 25 seconds part of Always in My Head?

If anybody remembers somethings and answers, thank you very much :) In all cases, thank you for reading!

It's part of AIMH. I didn't get to see a set list when I wrote my initial post, so I didn't know the music they played at the very beginning/end was actually titled music. It certainly sounded very much like something that could've been off their record (very "ghostly"), but then again, I was thinking the music played before their iTunes show sounded like it could've been from their record, and that turned out to be from Tycho! O (Reprise) and O Part II sound very similar to each other, so much so that I thought they played the same thing at the beginning and end of the show, but I guess it's two separate pieces. Interesting that the opener was a "reprise;" it was perfect in terms building the mood and sounded like something meant to come at the very beginning.

So I wonder if O (Fly On) is just the full title or if the Fly On part is a second song? Does anyone who went remember if this sounded like two songs?

It sounded very much like one song to me. Not a two parter like Up With The Birds, at least.

How big was this show exactly? Attendance wise?

The guy at the door said "around 1,000" and my guess is that it's mostly correct. We were let in the sound stage in groups of 50, and based off of that I tried to guestimate how many people were there. Definitely more than a couple hundred like I initially thought it would be. My guess put it closer to 800 before door guy said 1,000.

That said, I want to reiterate that this thing felt TINY. I know I said earlier I didn't want to give too many details with the setup, but it looks like other reviews did that already so might as well go for it. Not only is the stage circular and dead center of the room, but it's ridiculously small. they crammed everything they could possibly need on that thing. And with no barriers and no guards standing around, the audience was able to get a lot closer than normal. I was row 2 and was about 4 feet away from the stage. I was a bit worried that this would be the typical, non-participatory crowd common in LA, but everyone was on their feet the whole time. I think in that kind of setting it's impossible not to be.

What album would you compare Ghost Stories with?? And could you explain better Oceans? :D I have not understood much your explaining about it

Probably closest to AROBTTH with some of the musical experimentation of VLV. Definitely got X&Y vibes a few times from the synths.

Seriously Tash, you can't write such things, you've made me cry of happiness, and a lot too... Now I need to watch my face! :') This band is just... This is one of those moments when, as you also said, I feel so grateful to be alive in this era and be able to witness their pure, magnificent talent... Though I wish I were as lucky as you to have been listening to them from the beginning, I was too young :P

What else could I say... I'm speechless and absolutely glad for you!!! And I can't wait to have both the album and the DVD... It'll be the highlight of the year.

I guess I'll forgive them for being in LA when I went to London for the first time in my life in the beginning of the month. :P

I didn't find them, that's why I haven't written about it here... But I met this young woman with curly, dark brown hair who told me they wouldn't have returned before 6 weeks (it was March 6th); when she went back in, I put some chocolate and a little (quite cheesy) letter into the mailbox and then ran away :P

"Such a precious jewel", that's what they are. No words can explain how proud I am of them.

One thing I found pretty amazing about last night was how well rehearsed they sounded playing all 9 songs from the new album. Five of those songs were played for the first time ever, yet they sounded real tight. Since 2005, I've seen Coldplay do small performances in L.A. 1-2 months before the release of albums, but they never played more than around 5 songs from the upcoming album. This time they had to learn to play live the entire album, while at the same time completing the album. I don't know how much better these songs may get as the tour continues, but they sounded real good last night.