✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay to headline Radio 1's Big Weekend (24 May, 2014)

Coldplay to headline Radio 1's Big Weekend

23 April 2014 12:00 pm

Band top the bill on Saturday, 24 May

Good afternoon. We're very pleased to report that Coldplay will headline the Saturday night of Radio 1's Big Weekend in Glasgow, Scotland, on Saturday, 24 May.

The free tickets for the event have already been allocated, but the show will be broadcast on the radio and online (where you'll be able to listen worldwide). For more information, head to the Radio 1's Big Weekend website.

- Anchorman

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=1491

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday is the 26th, not the 24th

May 24 is a Saturday, actually :)

Quite frustrated that this falls on the day I leave this fckin country :)

But the event has sold out long ago anyway so I had very little chance to end up going there I guess

The annoying thing is I was going to enter for tickets as this is just down the road from me but wasn't really into any of the artists. If I'd have known Coldplay were headlining though, that would've been a different (ghost) story...

The annoying thing is I was going to enter for tickets as this is just down the road from me but wasn't really into any of the artists. If I'd have known Coldplay were headlining though, that would've been a different (ghost) story...
Same. I was supposed to leave later in May at the time the first lineup was announced. I could have tried to get tickets but I wasn't really into anyone either. :(

Thankfully, I managed to get my hands on tickets for all three days before the lineups were announced! Pretty sure I'm now the envy of most of my friends.

Obviously, this is a free show which is being used to promote the new album and broadcast live on BBC Three and Radio 1. What kind of setlist do you think we'll see? A mixture of the new album and the hits (similar to the iTunes set)? Or will it be a live version of the 'Ghost Stories' TV special (with a few hits at the beginning and end with the full album in the middle)? Headliners of Big Weekend in the past have varied in set length (a few years ago Foo Fighters performed for 90mins while Madonna played for just over 30mins) so I'm hoping for a decent length of set from the boys!

(First time posting on these forums but I've been a long time member!)

Thankfully, I managed to get my hands on tickets for all three days before the lineups were announced! Pretty sure I'm now the envy of most of my friends.

Obviously, this is a free show which is being used to promote the new album and broadcast live on BBC Three and Radio 1. What kind of setlist do you think we'll see? A mixture of the new album and the hits (similar to the iTunes set)? Or will it be a live version of the 'Ghost Stories' TV special (with a few hits at the beginning and end with the full album in the middle)? Headliners of Big Weekend in the past have varied in set length (a few years ago Foo Fighters performed for 90mins while Madonna played for just over 30mins) so I'm hoping for a decent length of set from the boys!

(First time posting on these forums but I've been a long time member!)

Welcome (back)! :D

Personally, I think the set is likely to be closer to the iTunes festival than to the TV special. I'd expect around 15 songs, lots of big hits and some GS tracks. It's a festival, and, the tickets were free and before Coldplay were even announced, so they don't really know if the crowd will have lots of fans, so I would expect a festival kind of setlist.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Bummed that tickets were already allocated. Only a mile and a half from where I am at the moment as well. Merde! Oh well it looks like it's going to be a night of Champions League Final football as planned!

Bummed that tickets were already allocated. Only a mile and a half from where I am at the moment as well. Merde! Oh well it looks like it's going to be a night of Champions League Final football as planned!

Arrghh, that's crap. I didn't realise it clashes with the Champions League Final.

Looks like it's the footy until Coldplay take to the stage...:P

• 2 weeks later...

Radio 1's Big Weekend

Coldplay Live @R1BW

SAT 24th May

9:55pm - 11pm BBC Three

Continued coverage of the annual music festival from Glasgow Green. Presenters Greg James and Jen Long bring the day's proceedings to a close with a performance by Coldplay. Regarded as being among the biggest bands in the world at present, they are one of the event's headline acts. Coverage continues tomorrow at 7pm, and throughout the day on BBC Radio 1.