✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really only a few small gripes...

I'm picky but at the first "put yourself into me" in another's arms, Chris' voice f**ks up a little bit

Also those dissonant notes in Jonnys solo in true love are a little unsettling... But I'm sure ill appreciate them wih more listens

And yeah the lyrics aren't brilliant the entire album.... The only line that is really really bad is the first one in Ink. 2gether thru life... That's just painful

Been a fan since Day 1 - since they were an "indie" band.

What I dislike primarily about this album is the drums and most of the lyrics. They are really weak and almost laughably simplistic at times. Surprising since he's stated many times he wanted to improve that. "such a precious jewel" literally made me wince. I don't get how Chris can site the influences he does then come up with the lyrics he does on this album.

ASFOS is this albums ETIAW - both soulless songs in my opinion.

I really, really wanted to like this album because....well, I love Coldplay. I can't see this one growing on my like Mylo did. Thankfully there's a few songs I like but overall, very disappointed.

I know right. That's why it's like poison in my blood now. I guess I had this cold shower from this album just like some people had it with Mylo Xyloto.

I suspect the experience is half ruined with the early release of big part of the songs. Maybe if we hadn't heard most of the album, its quality would be embossed. The problem is we listen too soon and get used to the songs that are supposed to be the best ones, the singles... not sure though, but maybe, just maybe, the CD should be completely unheard until the release.

Been a fan since Day 1 - since they were an "indie" band.

What I dislike primarily about this album is the drums and most of the lyrics. They are really weak and almost laughably simplistic at times. Surprising since he's stated many times he wanted to improve that. "such a precious jewel" literally made me wince. I don't get how Chris can site the influences he does then come up with the lyrics he does on this album.

ASFOS is this albums ETIAW - both soulless songs in my opinion.

I really, really wanted to like this album because....well, I love Coldplay. I can't see this one growing on my like Mylo did. Thankfully there's a few songs I like but overall, very disappointed.

Thank you, your opinion made me feel much better

Guest howyousawtheworld
I felt MX was a lot more diverse than this album. But that's my opinion.

MX is their nadir in my opinion. Overproduced, inconsistent, mushy, sugary sweet and poor on the melodic front. On first listen Ghost Stories is understated with beautifully crafted songs, a dark atmosphere and phenomenally well produced. A Sky Full Of Stars works better within the album. For sure it is the only song that sticks out as abnormal relative to the other 8 songs but you can get away with it, as long as it is just one song. U2 perfected that technique in the way they incorporated Pride (In The Name Of Love) onto The Unforgettable Fire.

Also The start of the guitar solo in True love it just doesn't fit well it sounds out of tune.

I found my issue with True Love.

Call it... (magic right? wait am I listing to magic)...TRUE LOVE (AHHHH)

I suspect the experience is half ruined with the early release of big part of the songs. Maybe if we hadn't heard most of the album, its quality would be embossed. The problem is we listen too soon and get used to the songs that are supposed to be the best ones, the singles... not sure though, but maybe, just maybe, the CD should be completely unheard until the release.

I don't know if this is the problem. I was totally sticking to Ink and True Love that has been the ones I didn't hear, but they ended up being the ones I hate the most. I can deal well with Magic and ASFoS, I like Midnight and love Always in My Head and O. But It just could be so much better with DRUMS.

MX is their nadir in my opinion. Overproduced, inconsistent, mushy, sugary sweet and poor on the melodic front. On first listen Ghost Stories is understated with beautifully crafted songs, a dark atmosphere and phenomenally well produced. A Sky Full Of Stars works better within the album. For sure it is the only song that sticks out as abnormal relative to the other 8 songs but you can get away with it, as long as it is just one song. U2 perfected that technique in the way they incorporated Pride (In The Name Of Love) onto The Unforgettable Fire.

I agree, although ASFOS is in no way near Pride onto Unforgettable Fire and just doesn't work in the album in my opinion. I get your point though.

Some of the melodies, hooks and dark production on GS is outstanding. Oceans is a throwback to some of the early bsides like Careful Where you Stand and O has the vulnerability of Everythings Not Lost, also the production and melody on True Love leading into the dark strange guitar at the end is really fantastic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guest howyousawtheworld
I agree, although ASFOS is in no way near Pride onto Unforgettable Fire and just doesn't work in the album in my opinion. I get your point though.

Some of the melodies, hooks and dark production on GS is outstanding. Oceans is a throwback to some of the early bsides like Careful Where you Stand and O has the vulnerability of Everythings Not Lost, also the production and melody on True Love leading into the dark strange guitar at the end is really fantastic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Definitely not comparing it to Pride (few songs match the brilliance of that tune) but I feel it works fine. It doesn't add or detract from the album in my opinion.

I love this album! Everything is so great, I love the dark sound it has going on.. The only thing that bothers me is ASFOS.. I just feel like it doesn't fit anywhere near this album. Everything is so slow and sad, and then you have this huge, jumping, happy song.. I know Chris said it's supposed to be a glimpse of hope, but I feel like they could've portrayed that with a different song that fit in more.

i can see how some people see more CHRIS than anybody else on here and dont like that and that the rest of bands instruments dont stand out as much but that doesnt mean they arent their.

They are just doing other things withhin the songs and i dont really mind that.That being said...I love the album but some lyrics are VERY cheesy and wrong imo and thats my main problem with the album. I can stand and get to like how some songs sound very R&B but the lyrics are always a big deal for me when it comes to bands i love cause i know they can deliver amazing lyrics cause they have in the past. I go to Coldplay when i need something deep and when i want my mind to wander and i didnt get it with most of this album. BUT i still very much do enjoy it and love it.

PS: I kinda think its like with Radiohead when they first released Kid A. Some people probably were really confused and didnt like that fact that Jonny and Ed didnt stand out i guess but learned to love it..... atleast i did

For me, the only problem is Magic. And tbh, its because I've heard it a billion times. I almost wish they had dropped this album right away. The electric drums dont bother me, because they serve a purpose. Besides, Will probably wanted to go this direction. It's not like Chris told WIll that he wouldn't drum on the record.