🎉 WATCH COLDPLAY LIVE AT iHEART RADIO FESTIVAL 2020 🎉
Blakexy1125

Criticisms with the album?

I really enjoy the electronic beats throughout the album. They're swift and slick. I'm very satisfied with how this album turned out.

It's not quite as brilliant as Viva, but I honestly believe that was the peak of their recording careers anyway. The important thing is, they didn't strain themselves to reach for something they couldn't achieve. They were true to themselves, and I know many Coldplay fans have been begging them to do this for years.

You hit it on the head. I think they have one more big album in them... im thinking a return to guitar rock a bit more. But I think this was a great album.

Oh and the thing I forgot to mention is... I don't feel the urge to listen to this album. The same problem I had with Mylo Xyloto , more often than not. Whereas I couldn't give up on Viva, that was brilliance.

BTW, kudos on the guys for being brave and trying sth new. For them.

this expresses my feelings exactly.

although I love MX almost as much as I love VLV. With GS everything is low key. Like you go on a field trip to the planetarium, everything looks amazing but you go back home and forget about it)

^I am OK with the album not being all huge and stuff but I think they should have focused fully on the dark, moody, mysterious atmosphere that Another's Arms, Oceans and Midnight deliver. The "happier" songs really ruin the flow for me.

this expresses my feelings exactly.

although I love MX almost as much as I love VLV. With GS everything is low key. Like you go on a field trip to the planetarium, everything looks amazing but you go back home and forget about it)

Man can I use that as my signature?

Man can I use that as my signature?

No problem) You're kidding, right?)

Honestly I feel some people are let down because we already heard 77% of the album before release. All I have to tell the fans is, don't worry that you didn't feel anything special on first listen. It often doesn't work that way.

Take a break from coldplaying. Get some work done. Talk to your friends. Come back later when your ready to fall asleep and listen to it one more time. Let the music rock you to sleep.

can someone pm me a link im on my break

Here is something I still don't get. Do you remember the Viva Demos? It was just Chris and the piano - nothing else. And yet they sounded complex, interesting, unusual. All Viva tracks sound complex and exoteric. Interesting choice of instruments, african beats, brass bands...and everything is intricately intertwined to really tell a story, convey a feeling.

These synth intro and outro, on the other hand, on Ghost Stories seem like an afterthought... Even that little ending after Oceans was put there because the next track is too upbeat - a calculated move....

What happened after Viva and who told Coldplay that it's ok to just use two sounds from the drum machine and four basic chords?

Oh man... I listen to a lot of music, cause I kind of work in the industry...but Coldplay is the only band that I really love. There is no-one else like them for me) And I have a feeling the magic is going away...

Here is something I still don't get. Do you remember the Viva Demos? It was just Chris and the piano - nothing else. And yet they sounded complex, interesting, unusual. All Viva tracks sound complex and exoteric. Interesting choice of instruments, african beats, brass bands...and everything is intricately intertwined to really tell a story, convey a feeling.

These synth intro and outro, on the other hand, on Ghost Stories seem like an afterthought... Even that little ending after Oceans was put there because the next track is too upbeat - a calculated move....

What happened after Viva and who told Coldplay that it's ok to just use two sounds from the drum machine and four basic chords?

Oh man... I listen to a lot of music, cause I kind of work in the industry...but Coldplay is the only band that I really love. There is no-one else like them for me) And I have a feeling the magic is going away...

I like the new album (certainly more than MX), but it definitely seems like the VLV era was the band's peak in most ways.

I dont get why people are comparing this to Viva while everyone is shitting on it. At worst, its still much better then X&Y and the MX. Personally, I like it more than Parachutes.

I like the new album (certainly more than MX), but it definitely seems like the VLV era was the band's peak in most ways.

Yeah, but what about that back catalogue?

Lovers in Japan was written way back in 2005 and appeared on VLV in 2008.

Couldn't they just use what they already have?

:facepalm:

I don't think Coldplay wants to use stuff from three to six years ago on a sad album basically about a break up.

BBCR1 Live version of Oceans is so much better. That vocal delay effect annoys me. I don't like that pitched-up Sonar-like sound that starts from the second chorus.

They make a effort

- The album is too short

- Where is Johnny ?

- WHERE THE FUCK IS WILL :(

- Oceans is'nt too bad guys !

- ASFOS isn't bad, but don't have place in the album :/ Maybe in MX

- O boring ? What are you say ?

PLEASE, ANOTHER AROBTHH AND I WILL DIE IN PEACE (or Another piano intro with the passion of Clocks)

Well, I guess it still is great that we have an album, considering everything that's happened in CM's life recently. So I am grateful for that)

My only big gripe is with Another's Arms, which seems to be a bit awkwardly produced. The vocals have some strange effects, and the instrumentals seem too electronic. The live version sounded a lot better in my opinion. Reminds me of how I felt about Hurts Like Heaven when the album version came out. Unnecessary effects thrown onto a song I really enjoyed the live version of.

I really like this album so far though. It's a very sweet, understated piece of pop-rock with some really catchy tracks. Really tugs on the heart-strings too. Perhaps one of Coldplays most cohesive and tight albums in a while?

I have no problems with the lyrics, and the songwriting is fine for the most part. I just wish they'd arranged it in a more acoustic Parachutes-y way as opposed to a modern electronic sound. I've got nothing against electronic music, but over the years Coldplay have shown me they just don't do it that well. This is a band who are at their best when seated at real instruments, it just feels so much warmer and more human that way. It's no coincidence that Oceans and O are the best songs on here.

Half the songs are positive steps forward, and half the songs (possibly less) feel like an MX hangover. ASFoS shouldn't have been included and Ink is just too cheesy for me.

Still overall, a big improvement over MX.

I honestly have no idea how I feel about the album. I am do sad there wasn't more Johnny. I feel like we got tiny snippets here and here but nothing that makes the blood rush to my head and warm my heart like listening to their older music. It is darker, yes. I have to really really listen to it. I am grateful the feature video is excellent quality. Going to give it a week and see how I feel. Wondering what the release in six months will look like based on Chris' comments about the Target songs...made me think we were getting a reprise featuring some of his son's contributions. I just feel like saying 'meh' which is sad. I wanted to 'feel' it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

African beats.. what do you mean??

AROBTTH>Viva>Parachutes>X&Y>MX>GS

My main criticism with this album is that it might be trying too hard to fit into the mainstream. I am more of an alternative music listener, but I still love pop, so Coldplay is ideal because they straddle both sides and make incredible pop hits and often amazing alternative sounds. This album though, I feel slips too often into some trends that make it sound less like Coldplay.

ASFOS and True Love, for example, feel overproduced to the point where you cannot tell if there is a band even present. They feel like decent tracks that got an unhealthy dose of influence from big name radio hits, Avicii, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lana Del Rey. I feel like this album explored some amazing sounds that I really really love, but they get pushed to the corners to make way for songs that are more likely to sell. Midnight for example is my favourite track. The atmoshpere in O, AIMH and the end of Oceans also sums up my favourite parts of this album.

Critically, I am afraid we will see some hate in the reviews for the lyrics (deservingly) and the forays into generic pop. I find this too bad, because I think this album easily could have been one of their best had they just pushed that electronic/ambient boundary a little bit more.

Honestly I feel some people are let down because we already heard 77% of the album before release. All I have to tell the fans is, don't worry that you didn't feel anything special on first listen. It often doesn't work that way.

Take a break from coldplaying. Get some work done. Talk to your friends. Come back later when your ready to fall asleep and listen to it one more time. Let the music rock you to sleep.

this

African beats.. what do you mean??

Strawberry Swing, for instance - listen only to the beat.