✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

I know what you mean by peak.. popularity, the music, the tour, as much as i hate to say it I feel like they're on a slow decline.. as much as i love GS it just isn't on VLV level.. I hope the next album shuts me up.

i think its because once a band like coldplay releases their magnum opus, its really hard for them to top it. they have already created to magnum opuses. Viva and A rush. so yeah, its hard to top that. maybe lets compare Ghost stories with the material released by other artists and im sure, were gonna say GS is much better :)

IMO :)

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face the truth coldplayers.... This album blows! And the problem is Chris Martin.

He's gone way to deep in that Hollywood life and the results are soulless lyrics and overproduced music that aspires to be on top of the pop charts. By the way in Los Angeles

ASFOS is a total flop.. The juggernaut rock radio station here won't play it because it's to pop and The pop stations won't play it because frankly it's that same avici song all over again. Remember what the oracle answered when asked why avici was asked to help.

The answer was " because Chris loves avici" he didn't say jonny or will or the band.. This is all Chris martin... The guys are just smart enough to not turn down the millions that come with being in the band.. I personally recommend listening to kings of Leon. There is a band that has avoided overproduction and write some descent lyrics they have evolved without alienating there fans... Something that this band wasn't able to do

ASFOS is an avici song featuring Chris Martin!

Kings of leon flopped a long time ago. juz go check the critical and commercial devastation their last album suffered and u will know what i mean ;)

For me, I actually didn't wanna compare to their previous album. This album is unique by itself, they never done this before, eletronic drums, blazzing synthesizer, packed and less lyrics, sincere musics, superb concept album. But then if I compare them with the previous album, a lot of flaws we would find.

Kinda like a standalone album from Coldplay. A kind of album which I care for every track, I won't skip a track, the album tells you a great story about fixing relationships.

Well.. i really like it. i didn't like ASFOS but i'm starting to get the sound. I was thinking that maybe i liked it (album)because I was really into a Band called Phantogram and this album looks like if coldplay ate some Phantogram so i don't really feel it's poppy like MX

I really do not care how many radio stations play it...I don't like what the radio plays anyway. This album is probably not going to be liked by many ...But thats what coldplay wanted I guess. I think Chris made this album more for himself than anybody else. Making this album was his breathing space when his personal life was in ruins. I personally, love the album though I am not a huge fan of "Ink" ...else than that I love it...even A sky full of Stars...I doesn't matter if it is a hit or not. The lyrics are as true and honest as you can get. It almost sounds like we are peeping into Chris and Gwyneth's conversation. I think I make meaning of that weird Conscious Uncoupling thing better now. It will be part of their discography and I will cherish it as a part of my collection.

PS> Some songs are amazing. I mean, find me a single melody in modern music as good as Oceans!

I really do not care how many radio stations play it...I don't like what the radio plays anyway. This album is probably not going to be liked by many ...But thats what coldplay wanted I guess. I think Chris made this album more for himself than anybody else. Making this album was his breathing space when his personal life was in ruins. I personally, love the album though I am not a huge fan of "Ink" ...else than that I love it...even A sky full of Stars...I doesn't matter if it is a hit or not. The lyrics are as true and honest as you can get. It almost sounds like we are peeping into Chris and Gwyneth's conversation. I think I make meaning of that weird Conscious Uncoupling thing better now. It will be part of their discography and I will cherish it as a part of my collection.

PS> Some songs are amazing. I mean, find me a single melody in modern music as good as Oceans!

i agree with this!! although i think this album will be successful. most analysts expect GS to debut in the US with more than 400k. :)

Listening for the fourth time now, i really like the album, maybe my second fav Coldplay album.

Awesome!

I actually think people are jumping to criticize way too early-- give it a couple days, weeks, even months or years of listening and next thing you know, people begin to appreciate the songs for what they are.

My only "big" gripe is the take that was used for Oceans. I mean, I get it. Obviously there was something they liked about the off kilter-ness of it, probably done very spur-of-the-moment in a single go. But that first radio performance we heard was just so... perfect. That being said, I'm sure I will grow to appreciate it more over time. I do wonder how different reactions would be to the album overall had they just dropped it out of nowhere instead of playing most of the songs live beforehand.

You say that Kings of Leon's album(s) flopped, commercially and critically - why is that an important factor when choosing whether to listen to them or not? Or for determining the quality of the band in question?

thats not the point of my post, chill. ;) its in direct response to the statement of the user that Coldplay flopped in LA. i was merely stating the fact that critically and commercially, kings of leon flopped. Meaning, kings of leon has already experienced what coldplay is (allegedly) experiencing in LA, which is, to flop ;) that has no relation whatsoever to the argument that critical and commercial success is a key element in determining the quality of a song that a particular person should listen to ;)

thats not the point of my post, chill. ;) its in direct response to the statement of the user that Coldplay flopped in LA. i was merely stating the fact that critically and commercially, kings of leon flopped. Meaning, kings of leon has already experienced what coldplay is (allegedly) experiencing in LA, which is, to flop ;) that has no relation whatsoever to the argument that critical and commercial success is a key element in determining the quality of a song that a particular person should listen to ;)

Sorry. I stand corrected. ;)

Here is something I still don't get. Do you remember the Viva Demos? It was just Chris and the piano - nothing else. And yet they sounded complex, interesting, unusual. All Viva tracks sound complex and exoteric. Interesting choice of instruments, african beats, brass bands...and everything is intricately intertwined to really tell a story, convey a feeling.

These synth intro and outro, on the other hand, on Ghost Stories seem like an afterthought... Even that little ending after Oceans was put there because the next track is too upbeat - a calculated move....

What happened after Viva and who told Coldplay that it's ok to just use two sounds from the drum machine and four basic chords?

Oh man... I listen to a lot of music, cause I kind of work in the industry...but Coldplay is the only band that I really love. There is no-one else like them for me) And I have a feeling the magic is going away...

Thats well said. I feel the same. After 4 albums which I all love from start to finish, I couldnt imagen this band ever dissapointing me. Most of the music since MX is just so much more simple and many songs are not as interesting. There are nice songs there, but not that many great ones. Almost all songs on the first 4 albums are brilliant to me. What happened.. Does Chris martin really want to sound like rihanna, one direction and the rest? Im not against the use of electronic music and I like other bands like bombay bicycle club for instance. They are just so very good at it. They created their sound with it. Coldplay should stick to real instruments.

I really dont know how you anyone can feel this album is better than parachutes. Really..? Better than spies, trouble, yellow, dont panic.. those songs are the real magic to me. (I do find oceans and O to be near that quality)

But they really need to become more alternative, more rawness, real instruments. Which makes them a real band. Thats the only way they can get some respect back and many many fans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Did he really had to kick his colleagues out?

Thats well said. I feel the same. After 4 albums which I all love from start to finish, I couldnt imagen this band ever dissapointing me. Most of the music since MX is just so much more simple and many songs are not as interesting. There are nice songs there, but not that many great ones. Almost all songs on the first 4 albums are brilliant to me. What happened.. Does Chris martin really want to sound like rihanna, one direction and the rest? Im not against the use of electronic music and I like other bands like bombay bicycle club for instance. They are just so very good at it. They created their sound with it. Coldplay should stick to real instruments.

I really dont know how you anyone can feel this album is better than parachutes. Really..? Better than spies, trouble, yellow, dont panic.. those songs are the real magic to me. (I do find oceans and O to be near that quality)

But they really need to become more alternative, more rawness, real instruments. Which makes them a real band. Thats the only way they can get some respect back and many many fans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

This + 1000

Overbearing electronic beats + not enough guitars. Bringing in Avicii and replacing lead guitar with synths wherever possible (with the notable exception of True Love's solo) is less like innovation and more like jumping on the pop bandwagon when all the other "pop" guitar bands are doing the same thing. Also, no b-sides. Why? What do they gain by not releasing more material?

Chris hailing One Direction, Bieber and all that lot as impossible to criticise because they're "fun" gets on my pip, too. It's a similar situation to the movie industry, when people go and see big, brainless blockbusters and you can't say it's poor quality because people are enjoying it. Viva era got the balance right between pop, rock and experimentalism, and was fun as well as clever.

~

Also Midnight being composed pretty much entirely by Jon Hopkins, and the bookending synth noises (arguably one of the best moments on the album) by the producer dude. The collaborative spirit is fine but they should have at least advertised it a bit more openly that yeah, Midnight is basically Amphora with vocals.