✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, INK & ASFOS are the weakest songs. This album is beautiful nonetheless. IMO, the name of the record really fits perfectly with the sound and the feel of it. The electric sounds don't bother me too much because I feel like they've proved themselves enough with their previous records. We know they can play and we know Chris can write great songs (Politik, Viva la Vida, 42, The Hardest Part, etc.) But some of the lyrics on this record are really bad?? Like in INK and True Love? ''All i know is that i'm lost, All i know is that I love you so'' OK not the best from Coldplay but it doesn't affect my love for this record because I feel like everything (except for ASFOS, I can't) fits well together. I can listen to this with my eyes closed and get transported someplace else.

Definitely not comparing it to Pride (few songs match the brilliance of that tune) but I feel it works fine. It doesn't add or detract from the album in my opinion.

It is only 1 song, but I kind of get the feeling it was thrown in to keep newer fans happy. I wouldn't mind if it was upbeat and sugary if it had a good song and melody behind it but it doesn't.

I keep noticing new "dark" sounds in in the album like the "slide down" sound in Another's Arms. Love it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I think this is my least favorite Coldplay album of all.. Which saddens me cause I was really enjoying the ride, I love where Viva and Mylo headed.. this time, it's not the production, it's not the sounds, it's just the songs themselves, they did not surprise me in any good way.. I really love Midnight, and enjoy AIMH, ASFOS, O and Magic, the rest of the album just doesn't move me.. :(

I haven't been active here the last several years so I have no idea what "Car Kids" is, but did people finally stop asking about Famous Old Painters?

I've only listened to this album once, but A Skyfull of Stars is basically their label saying "Guys, this album is too mellow for the masses who discovered you through Paradise so we need you to shit out an EDM number for their sake."

I'm okay with it being a short album. The latest Lykke Li album is 9 tracks too and it's incredible.

Well... So far...

- It's nice music but it's not Coldplay. It's Chris Martin.

- No drums, obviously

- Claiming that it's supposed to be honest and what they wanted to make but actually sounds too modern and over the top mainstream (for the most of it)

- No real depth to the songs, teenage-y sound...

- Oceans is awfully produced. Did they really leave it like this? The volume mix is horrible.

- A Sky Full of Stars should have never ever happened.

Well... So far...

- No drums, obviously

- Claiming that it's supposed to be honest and what they wanted to make but actually sounds too modern and over the top mainstream (for the most of it)

- Oceans is awfully produced. Did they really leave it like this? The volume mix is horrible.

:uneasy:

Gwyneth, come backkkkk

Well... So far...

- No drums, obviously

No real depth?? Have you really been listening? Depth goes beyond lyrics/words sometimes.

It's not that ok. 90% of the time I can't tell if it's the guitar or if it's a Synth but the drums are worse

Opinion Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

That is your opinion. My OPINION is that the drums are groovy and unique-- no two songs have the same drum samples and as yet because the entire album has electronic drums, it adds to the cohesiveness of the piece.

Opinion Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

That is your opinion.

Like you just said.

Opinion Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

That is your opinion.

Drums on Ink are the poor ever made and True Love wasn't even Will so...

Well... So far...

- No drums, obviously

Summed up what I was thinking. A few of the songs are nice to hear but very forgettable. Especially Ink and True Love, which are nice, "poppy", teenage songs but really nothing special. Oceans sounded much better live. The album version sounds odd. Another's Arms sounds like Chris fell asleep while singing and I don't understand the rave over "O". Better lyrics than the other songs but it's a boring song. It kind of reminds be of a mixture of U.F.O. and Up With the Birds. Always in my Head is probably my favorite, but even then it's a quite simple song with simple lyrics. Nothing spectacular. Still, majority of the album is very nice to listen to but it's nothing amazing in my opinion.

Opinion Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

That is your opinion. My OPINION is that the drums are groovy and unique-- no two songs have the same drum samples and as yet because the entire album has electronic drums, it adds to the cohesiveness of the piece.

Yeah I'm with you. I'm afraid this album is going to cause a lot of division between Coldplay fans. I, for one, love the use of electric instument. Others don't. I think the one general thing we can all agree is that this album has meh lyrics, but we already knew that from the beginning. I'd say this album has something other Coldplay albums don't which is this dark personality.

Like you just said.

Opinion Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

Opinion

That is your opinion.

It's a shame you didn't keep reading because I followed that by CLEARLY stating that that what I was about to say WAS my opinion. I invite you to look and see. Obviously tastes are tastes, but I THINK that electronic drums can be just as intriguing as real drums as long as the best isn't too simple and the sounds' dull (see Up In Flames). But the drum beats in ghost stories to me are complex, funky and unique.

Please don't be offended by opinion though-- because I can totally understand and relate to yours (electronic drums used to anger me greatly)

Lets hear what you don't like about it!

Personally this is my list of things I didn't like

-Weak lyrics

-Electric drums instead of acoustic.

-Felt very chris-centric

- No song really stuck out to me. The only song that I see playing 3 years from now would be AIMH

What other gripes do you have?

Basically this overall.

It's a shame you didn't keep reading because I followed that by CLEARLY stating that that what I was about to say WAS my opinion. I invite you to look and see. Obviously tastes are tastes, but I THINK that electronic drums can be just as intriguing as real drums as long as the best isn't too simple and the sounds' dull (see Up In Flames). But the drum beats in ghost stories to me are complex, funky and unique.

Please don't be offended by opinion though-- because I can totally understand and relate to yours (electronic drums used to anger me greatly)

I read everything I just didn't quote it. I understand what you mean by 'adds cohesive' but even the the less worst use of synth drums - Another's Arms can easily be switched for actual drums without losing the ambientation. But don't care too much about what I say in the next days, I'm just too mad at William Champion, one day it will be fine.

I really enjoy the electronic beats throughout the album. They're swift and slick. I'm very satisfied with how this album turned out.

It's not quite as brilliant as Viva, but I honestly believe that was the peak of their recording careers anyway. The important thing is, they didn't strain themselves to reach for something they couldn't achieve. They were true to themselves, and I know many Coldplay fans have been begging them to do this for years.