✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overbearing electronic beats + not enough guitars. Bringing in Avicii and replacing lead guitar with synths wherever possible (with the notable exception of True Love's solo) is less like innovation and more like jumping on the pop bandwagon when all the other "pop" guitar bands are doing the same thing. Also, no b-sides. Why? What do they gain by not releasing more material?

Chris hailing One Direction, Bieber and all that lot as impossible to criticise because they're "fun" gets on my pip, too. It's a similar situation to the movie industry, when people go and see big, brainless blockbusters and you can't say it's poor quality because people are enjoying it. Viva era got the balance right between pop, rock and experimentalism, and was fun as well as clever.

~

Also Midnight being composed pretty much entirely by Jon Hopkins, and the bookending synth noises (arguably one of the best moments on the album) by the producer dude. The collaborative spirit is fine but they should have at least advertised it a bit more openly that yeah, Midnight is basically Amphora with vocals.

And True love is Timbaland's Apologize part 2. Also, I don't know if someone realized but the entire killer guitar sliding on Oceans Live was TOTALLY replaced by Synths. I want to get this world rid of SYNTHS. I can't hold them anymore.

i don't like the lyrics that mushc but who cares, the music is great

the production is perfect and i don't have any problems with electronic drums, and i am the only who actually ears the guitar??

just chill out it's an album not your life

and the synths are being used in an inteligent way, not like in ETIAW

i don't actually care about what other people say, most of the time the thing that ruins an album for you its not the album itself but people complaing about it like it's the end of the world

Im really struggling to like true love... I just don't get it. On the contrast though before the album midnight really didn't make much sense to me but in the album context I think it fits much better. Everybody has different views, not everybody was ever going to like it.

Im really struggling to like true love... I just don't get it. On the contrast though before the album midnight really didn't make much sense to me but in the album context I think it fits much better. Everybody has different views, not everybody was ever going to like it.

Strange, I think along with O its one of the best songs I've heard from them since AROBTTH.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Strange, I think along with O its one of the best songs I've heard from them since AROBTTH.

I'm loving O but for some reason true love just isnt doing anything for me right now, im sure it will do at some point though.

i don't actually care about what other people say, most of the time the thing that ruins an album for you its not the album itself but people complaing about it like it's the end of the world

I'd like to shove 38923749 thumbsup in your face but I only have two :wacky:

I have none actually, only thing is that I understand that most of it would not make for a thrilling show maybe if you'd play all the ghost stories tracks, that would be rather mellow. But it's becoming one of my favorite albums.

Chris hailing One Direction, Bieber and all that lot as impossible to criticise because they're "fun" gets on my pip, too. It's a similar situation to the movie industry, when people go and see big, brainless blockbusters and you can't say it's poor quality because people are enjoying it. Viva era got the balance right between pop, rock and experimentalism, and was fun as well as clever.

This irritates the shit out of me, too! Makes him look like such a suckup sometimes. I don't think he needs that, that and his at times fake humbleness...

Who cares about who he talks about, there are singers that talk about rape being a normal thing, and one direction gets more than they should, they did nothing wrong and from what I hear they are nice people. I can't say the same thing about bieber, but at least Chris said that he needs good people around and didn't defend him for what he had done

At first listen A Sky Full Of Stars seems really out of place, other than that the whole thing is pretty solid, there aren't really catchy songs but looking at thw whole picture it's damn good. Althought it really feels almost like a Chris solo album

Guest howyousawtheworld
Overbearing electronic beats + not enough guitars. Bringing in Avicii and replacing lead guitar with synths wherever possible (with the notable exception of True Love's solo) is less like innovation and more like jumping on the pop bandwagon when all the other "pop" guitar bands are doing the same thing. Also, no b-sides. Why? What do they gain by not releasing more material?

~

Also Midnight being composed pretty much entirely by Jon Hopkins, and the bookending synth noises (arguably one of the best moments on the album) by the producer dude. The collaborative spirit is fine but they should have at least advertised it a bit more openly that yeah, Midnight is basically Amphora with vocals.

Amphora is NOT the title of the Midnight track, Jon Hopkins said so. What's clear is that Hopkins is listed as a writer on the track (so it's not as if he's not getting credit from the band) and that he layed down this old composition of his alongside Chris's vocal melody. The base track that was bizarrely called 'Amorpha' by some internet hack was not supposed to be released. I really don't see the problem with this track which was known pretty early on that it was a collaborative effort between Coldplay and Hopkins. Is that such a crime?

A lot of people are saying there isn't enough Will in this album. I disagree. This whole album lacks a lot of the band, it definitely feels like they kind of let Chris take it, though that is total speculation. But Will is there in almost every song. One thing I am loving about this album is the drumbeats. It may not sound like live drumming, but some songs like Another's Arms, Magic, AIMH all have some really quality beats that you can tell have Will behind them. Okay, so he isn't really there during True Love, ASFOS, Oceans, O, but neither is the rest of the band really. I know Guy produced and that each song has layers, but there are few distinct bass lines on this album, and literally only a couple noticeable Jonny guitar moments. That is why live I think these tracks sound so much better, because you can hear the instrumentation more clearly. Oceans and ASFOS being the leading example.

Fixed. I don't care for X&Y much at all.

There's some great songs on it, White Shadows, Fix You, The Original Talk(not the album version), Swallowed in The Sea, A Message.

I forgot to add this to my rankings.

Parachutes

AROBTTH

Parachutes & AROBTTH B-Sides

GS

X&Y

Viva

MX

Now that the initial excitement has cooled down a bit and also now that i've listened to the whole album like 12,673 times i can honestly say that there are only two songs which i don't see myself listening to in 3 years and those two songs are Ink and Another's Arms, i just didn't connect with Ink and i haven't liked Another's Arms ever since the iTunes show, the other 7 songs are really great with my standouts being Always In My Head, True Love, ASFOS, Midnight and O. I didn't like the fact that Jonny's riffs are sort of muted but, besides that, i really liked all of the production choices. Overall, i loved the album and now my album ranking stands as follows:

Parachutes

AROBTTH

Ghost Stories

X&Y

Viva La Vida

MX

GS/Viva/MX (really love this trilogy - they're all great in my opinion - the evolution and progress of their sound is astounding).

AROBTH/X&Y (tie - X&Y really had increased the experimentation from AROBTTH with Square One, X&Y, Low but they have some absolute classics, especially Swallowed in the Sea for me, Fix You, Til Kingdom Come, A Message...)

Parachutes

If they replaced all the synthy background noise with piano/electric/acoutic guitar and put Will on an acoustic drumkit the album would be beyond perfection

Can someone confirm: are the background string noises actual violins etc or just keyboard noises? :'( DON'T BREAK MY HEART

As if them boys can't do it. They could. They chose not to.

My album order would go something like this:

VLV

GS

AROB/Parachutes

Every Coldplay b-side

Alternative versions of tracks

Unreleased tracks

Interviews with the band

Cover versions of the band's songs

MX.

I feel as though VLV to GS would've bee a much more natural progression rather than VLV to MX