✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

Should have posted my ranking...

VLV or Death And All His Friends/Prospekt's March

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Parachutes

Ghost Stories / X&Y

MX

Despite some good songs I rank X&Y quite low as I think it has a similar problem to Ghost Stories musically, even if the emotions in the latter come from an honest place. Felt like they were trying to fit in with trends of the time as opposed to the experimental/rock tightrope they treaded perfectly with AROBTTH or Viva.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face the truth coldplayers.... This album blows! And the problem is Chris Martin.

He's gone way to deep in that Hollywood life and the results are soulless lyrics and overproduced music that aspires to be on top of the pop charts. By the way in Los Angeles

ASFOS is a total flop.. The juggernaut rock radio station here won't play it because it's to pop and The pop stations won't play it because frankly it's that same avici song all over again. Remember what the oracle answered when asked why avici was asked to help.

The answer was " because Chris loves avici" he didn't say jonny or will or the band.. This is all Chris martin... The guys are just smart enough to not turn down the millions that come with being in the band.. I personally recommend listening to kings of Leon. There is a band that has avoided overproduction and write some descent lyrics they have evolved without alienating there fans... Something that this band wasn't able to do

ASFOS is an avici song featuring Chris Martin!

Agreed. Many people are saying his break up is the reason for the lyrics but even then they hadn't broken up before the album was made... unless Chris just decided to change the lyrics completely.

Even in the Zane Lowe interview... he says he 'invited' avici over... WHY?!

His 'never be as lyrically good as Jay-Z' argument is also flawed because Shiver, Spies, VLV, Violet Hill, AROBTTH all have IMMENSELY good lyrics

Wish someone would interview the rest of the band and see what they think about MX/GS even though GS is a massive improvement on MX. Some beautiful music but the weird effects and weak lyrics kinda ruin it

someone even quoted me RE complaining about the over use of synths and said 'the band could've removed it but chose not to.'... Yes, I'm aware. Just want to know WHY they used synths considering this was meant to be their stripped back album.

I now also heard Ghost Stories for the first time, after never listening to AIMH and all the rest.

Only heard Magic, Midnight and A sky full of stars before and nothing else.

To be quite honest...i overall like the album, it is really understated most parts and with all going on around Chris personal life I totally understand the direction they have taken. For me it is no Viva, but I never expected such a beautiful piece of work again after all the MX stuff appeared.

So I'm quite happy if the band brings out a album I don't have to be ashamed of like I felt after MX to be quite honest.

All in all I can share some critics:

- ASFOS: I will never dig that Coldplay is doing such generic EDM music. Sorry for that and all of you who like the song...it is just my honest to god opinion that I will never like something. And it totally does not fit the album mood at all.

- for me it is a bit too short...at least one more song would have been great. Especially between ASFOS and O.

- For me some very little details are quite sad and are the reason because it is just a "good" album for me. its a little sad that O is a little short towards the end. Fly on has so much potential and I really dig it but a bit more instruments would have probably worked well to make it even more perfect. The same with AIMH...such a lovely song but a little to short and the ending is too abrupt.

- sometimes the bridges towards the next song is quite harsh like as I said from AIMH to Magic. Or from ASFOS to O.

- Lyrics are especially in ASFOS and Anothers arms terrible though I never expected too much. (For me the least important critical point by the way).

- sometimes less is more: Some songs suffer a bit too much producing like Oceans. But overall it is by faaaaar better than MX production.

For me this album could have been even a lot better than it actually is, it offers great potential but some little details and a big one (ASFOS) only makes it to a "good" album which is really, really fine with me. I really enjoy listenting to large parts of the album. Since there will be no Parachutes or AROBTTH again I can really hope that they will continue to do so.

For me AIMH, Midnight, O are the best songs. Unfortunately Oceans is not as good as the live version otherwise it would be a standout for me as well.

I really dig True Love as well as Ink, like them.

Anothers arms could have need less production.

Overall a solid 7,5/10 from me. I'm glad that the band decided to bring a album out anyway with Chris trouble in his personal life....some would probably rather take a biiig break. Brave step guys! Like it! :)

For me-

AROBTTH

X+Y

GS

VIVA

MX

Parachutes

I think the best think that I possibly did was listen to the album and then not come onto the forums instantly. That way I know that my opinions haven't been influenced by anyone else, and I can safely say that I love the album. Sure it's not the stadium filling album, and it's not in your face (apart from one exception)- it's mellow.

Always in my Head is the one of two songs on the album that I would call "classic Coldplay." It doesn't set a good precedent for the rest of the album in terms of lyrics, but it's beautiful musically. My favourite concert opener since Politik.

Magic- Getting a bit bored of this song now, but I do love most things about it except the lyrics, and the fact that the "big part" ends too soon.

Ink- I actually really like Ink- it reminds me of Strawberry Swing and definitely wouldn't be out of place on Viva- having said that I have to say that these are the worst lyrics on the whole album.

True Love- Not the most incredible track by any means, but it has a certain charm to it. I love the fact that Jonny gets chance to let loose a bit on at least one song.

Midnight- Grown on me so much. I couldn't stand it when it was released, but after seeing the new film and seeing the live performances, it's something special. Lacking in Jonny and Will, but it is an amazing spectacle.

Another's Arms- It upsets me so much that Chris used awful lyrics for this song. Musically I think it's stunning, and Jonny's guitar playing is as good as on any other Coldplay song. I love the sound effect on it, and the general feel to it.

Oceans- Chill music. Better lyrics than most songs on the album, and on obvious salute to the Parachutes era. The radar sound grinds on me after a while, but I love the simplicity of it all. It's one of the highlights of the new film.

ASFOS- I could listen to this track if it was Avicii. I could listen to this track on the radio if it was anybody else. And I would like it. But by Coldplay and on an album like this, it is just completely out of place. It annoys me even more because I know that this is the product of the industry, which Chris always claims isn't a big influence on the music. I imagine that it will be incredible live, but on an album, I'm a bit peeved.

O- I can honestly say that this is my favourite Coldplay song ever. I judge songs very much on the emotions they make me feel, and I was completely overwhelmed by O- even from the snippet on the Zane Lowe interview. It's the song I was waiting for and it is absolute perfection. BEST LYRICS ON THE ALBUM! Will's harmonies are haunting, the bass blends in perfectly, and the piano playing is pure. If Coldplay wanted to do a "stripped down" album, O is the direction they should have taken all the way through. I would rank this with Us Against the World, Fix You, and The Scientist.

Overall, I'd give this album an 8/10. It's got the flavour of "true" Coldplay throughout, but with a new direction in terms of production. I love it.

My only critic will be the following:

Too much teasing previous to the release of the album. Considering how short it is, you can't release in advance so many songs (and here I am including also Always In My Head, Another's Arms and Oceans, which were performed publicly by the band previous to the release of the album).

The album, although new, seems a bit outdated too me since out of 9 songs, I have already heard 6 before it began streaming on iTunes. And that without counting that some minutes before the streaming we heard Always In My Head and O in the Zane Lowe show.

So, boys, next time, when releasing so a short album, please only release a single and shortly after the album.

My only critic will be the following:

Too much teasing previous to the release of the album. Considering how short it is, you can't release in advance so many songs (and here I am including also Always In My Head, Another's Arms and Oceans, which were performed publicly by the band previous to the release of the album).

The album, although new, seems a bit outdated too me since out of 9 songs, I have already heard 6 before it began streaming on iTunes. And that without counting that some minutes before the streaming we heard Always In My Head and O in the Zane Lowe show.

So, boys, next time, when releasing so a short album, please only release a single and shortly after the album.

I've been saying for the past 6 months or so that they better not play more than half the album before release. and they did. The only song that was a surprise for me was Ink. Truly disappointing. I got so excited for the album then when I listened to it I left saying wow I already heard all those songs...

Me waiting for the biggest interlude ever (Oceans into ASFOS) to end:

But it's not like it's a chore, it's such a peaceful piece of music. But that 'thump' when ASFOS hits....

creepy-15.gif

Guest howyousawtheworld

A Sky Full Of Stars is perhaps the only stumbling block on this album. It does contradict the other 8 tracks on the album but it doesn't ruin the album at all.

If we want to compare them I will say this. Ghost Stories doesn't seem to drag on in the way Parachutes did. Parachutes is nice but it's nothing more than that. Ghost Stories, while playing the same tricks of introspect, mellowness and minimalism of Parachutes, keeps to the point and is a swift but more rewarding affair. It's up there with A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida for me and acts as the perfect antidote to the unrivalled mess that was Mylo Xyloto.

For the most part, it is intricately beautiful. If I was to settle on a score RIGHT NOW it would be an 8/10. An understated and humble success.

I'm surprised how many people hold VLV in such high esteem. That album for me is when I started to lose interest in Coldplay, far too sugary and not much depth to it. Id struggle to listen to it now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised how many people hold VLV in such high esteem. That album for me is when I started to lose interest in Coldplay, far too sugary and not much depth to it. Id struggle to listen to it now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I see a lot more depth in Viva then X&Y or even Parachutes. Viva, for me, is an amazing journey from beginning to end. And Coldplay is at the top of their game too. Chris wrote great lyrics for every song, every band member was busy. My favorite album by far by coldplay.