✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Yeah ok. Im sorry, shouldve thought more about the word 'popact'. Of course they are a band, even though the last album didnt have a very clear band sound.

But I just mean pop band really. And pop as in: simple, popular and more commercial music. At least.. many singles are.

Yes, people that are into mainstream bands will come up with those bandnames. Coldplay fits in there. But they also now fit with the most popular stuff because of their pop singles. People that dont know anything else than pop/rnb, katy perry and the rest, like sky full of stars/paradise. These people will not even know Muse.

i dont think so, i think you are underestimating how mainstream the other bands are, OneRepublic are way more mainstream than Coldplay will ever be, if you ask people if they heard Magic or Counting Stars, youd know that Counting Stars was way more popular than Paradise, Magic and Asfos

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont think so, i think you are underestimating how mainstream the other bands are, OneRepublic are way more mainstream than Coldplay will ever be, if you ask people if they heard Magic or Counting Stars, youd know that Counting Stars was way more popular than Paradise, Magic and Asfos

Alright. One band being more mainstream than the other. But i wasnt really talking about how bands compare.

Its just that they now have many hits that are popular with people that just like whatever is popular. I notice this in 'my little world'. People who never liked coldplay before, now like their pophits.

Alright. One band being more mainstream than the other. But i wasnt really talking about how bands compare.

Its just that they now have many hits that are popular with people that just like whatever is popular. I notice this in 'my little world'. People who never liked coldplay before, now like their pophits.

Im comparing them cause you talk about coldplay like they are the only band they got through this, its not the first time that a band originally alternative went into the mainstream, damn Radiohead were in the same situation in 1997 and they got out with Kid A.

So if you want that Coldplay get out from that area im afraid they will have to release their own Kid A, but i dont think thats what they want in their carreer

Im comparing them cause you talk about coldplay like they are the only band they got through this, its not the first time that a band originally alternative went into the mainstream, damn Radiohead were in the same situation in 1997 and they got out with Kid A.

So if you want that Coldplay get out from that area im afraid they will have to release their own Kid A, but i dont think thats what they want in their carreer

I dont know much about this.. im sorry. But radiohead.. really? What did they release in 1997? There are big bands like muse/radiohead that i never got 'into'. To me they always seemed 'too alternative' :)

I dont know much about this.. im sorry. But radiohead.. really? What did they release in 1997? There are big bands like muse/radiohead that i never got 'into'. To me they always seemed 'too alternative' :)

they released OK Computer and that got them in the mainstream, but actually songs like Creep, High and Dry and Just were big BIG hits back then

Indeed, Radiohead was one of the few bigger alternative/pop rock bands in the nineties to really go 180 degrees on Kid A (and parts of Ok Computer) In my opinion, they never quite got back to their poppier, more accessible self until In Rainbows. And you should try them out Midnightspies! I was into Coldplay first because they are less harsh and alternative, but the albums I mentioned above I would consider absolute masterpieces, truly beautiful music.

To briefly weigh into this smallish debate, however, I think it is a difficult conversation to have about Coldplay because they mean different things to different people. I certainly beilieve that Coldplay is a top 40 band but also a solid alternative act. Why Top 40? Well the facts are that every young person has known Coldplay over the past 6 years for their smashing singles. Every tween probably loves ASFOS, while every teenager loves Paradise, and every early twenty something loves VLV. Of course, us Coldplayers love every album and every track that these folks have never heard. I think it is really cool Coldplay can be as popular as Rihanna but also have an alternative listening audience.

The next album, with the trends they have been setting, I personally believe could be their poppiest to date. I mean, MX was a pop-slposion,, but at least it had a distinct electronic quirkiness and rock-ability to it. I just hope that if they go for a pop-tacular, that it has an alternative and quality edge to it (which I would argue MX mostly does.)

Let's be honest here gang, LP7 is with 90% certainty is going to be another pop record. The only question I have is what other genre(s) will be incorporated? MX had indie rock/arena and dance pop. GS had indie-pop, dream pop, EDM. VLV had bits folk-pop and piano-ballads.

So LP7 has what? Acoustic pop? Punk-pop? Straight EDM? I want some educated predictions/desires here.

Let's be honest here gang, LP7 is with 90% certainty is going to be another pop record. The only question I have is what other genre(s) will be incorporated? MX had indie rock/arena and dance pop. GS had indie-pop, dream pop, EDM. VLV had bits folk-pop and piano-ballads.

So LP7 has what? Acoustic pop? Punk-pop? Straight EDM? I want some educated predictions/desires here.

Just do a straight edm to get it out of their systems xD

Naw, I believe that it won't be anything to far from MX or GS. Since the album is linked to GS, it will be heavily electronic. I think it will MX without the UATW and MM and thos type of songs. In their ideal world, 11 paradises. Maybe im being a pessimist (or an optimist if u dig paradise) but the fact they still play mostly MX songs live and prefer that energy tells me they aren't ready to let the charts go yet. I think this will be one of their last efforts to be the "biggest band in the world" before the inevitable slow decline begins.

you know what would be really interesting? if guy and will took on a more of a songwriter role. i can't imagine what kind of genre songs written by them would sound like. it certainly looks like chris would be open to the idea. or i hope the band would take on more of lead in driving the sound of the songs (which seems to have happened in certain songs before).

Indeed, Radiohead was one of the few bigger alternative/pop rock bands in the nineties to really go 180 degrees on Kid A (and parts of Ok Computer) In my opinion, they never quite got back to their poppier, more accessible self until In Rainbows. And you should try them out Midnightspies! I was into Coldplay first because they are less harsh and alternative, but the albums I mentioned above I would consider absolute masterpieces, truly beautiful music.

To briefly weigh into this smallish debate, however, I think it is a difficult conversation to have about Coldplay because they mean different things to different people. I certainly beilieve that Coldplay is a top 40 band but also a solid alternative act. Why Top 40? Well the facts are that every young person has known Coldplay over the past 6 years for their smashing singles. Every tween probably loves ASFOS, while every teenager loves Paradise, and every early twenty something loves VLV. Of course, us Coldplayers love every album and every track that these folks have never heard. I think it is really cool Coldplay can be as popular as Rihanna but also have an alternative listening audience.

The next album, with the trends they have been setting, I personally believe could be their poppiest to date. I mean, MX was a pop-slposion,, but at least it had a distinct electronic quirkiness and rock-ability to it. I just hope that if they go for a pop-tacular, that it has an alternative and quality edge to it (which I would argue MX mostly does.)

Okay. So many bands go from mainstream to alternative and/or alternative to mainstream... but how does that compare to a band that always fitted in the mainstream, they went from that to muuuch more popular/commercial music. This is what made many older fans lose respect for them. The problem is that their alternative audience is shrinking. Just reading on serious album reviewer sites (for music lovers, not reviewers) this what I see.

Im fine with the 'pop area' if coldplay really goes back to their roots someday. Im afraid they are a bit stuck in where they are now.

Anyway, off topic: can someone tell me a few accessible song titles from radiohead? That paranoid song just really does not work with my ears lol. So it has to be something for the feels. I believe 'Spies' is radioheadish and its 1 of my fav. CP songs. Thanks!

Okay. So many bands go from mainstream to alternative and/or alternative to mainstream... but how does that compare to a band that always fitted in the mainstream, they went from that to muuuch more popular/commercial music. This is what made many older fans lose respect for them. The problem is that their alternative audience is shrinking. Just reading on serious album reviewer sites (for music lovers, not reviewers) this what I see.

Im fine with the 'pop area' if coldplay really goes back to their roots sometime. Im afraid they are a bit stuck in where they are now.

Anyway, off topic: can someone tell me a few accessible song titles from radiohead? That paranoid song just really does not work with my ears lol. So it has to be something for the feels. I believe 'Spies' is radioheadish and its 1 of my fav. CP songs. Thanks!

if you like spies or high speed you should listen to subterranean homesick alien, all i need, climbing up the walls

Im fine with the 'pop area' if coldplay really goes back to their roots someday. Im afraid they are a bit stuck in where they are now.

I completely agree. The alternative audience (which includes myself) has been shrinking :( Hopefully they will get out of this spot!

As far as Radiohead goes check out these more pretty and less crazy tracks, once you get into those it is easier to like some of their more strange stuff: All of "In Rainbows." Pyramid Song, Optimistic, National Anthem, Ideoteque, Karma Police, No Surprises, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit (Fade Out), Thinking About You.

All of these tracks either inspired Coldplay or have Coldplay elements in them!!

I think their label wouldn't want a record with no commercial and popular significance after the release of their quietest record to date (Ghost Stories-though it has EDM and Electronic elements that are popular nowadays). Music is an art, a form of a brilliant expression for musicians but not for their recording companies. For them music is money. And how will they earn a huge amount of it? By releasing records embedded in or born from the pop culture that is currently prevailing. Well, it doesn't mean that this is the very case of Coldplay's last two records. I know they care for their art (even their album artworks are really good) but that reality certainly affects their song writing.

^ I agree with you, but I wonder if this fact truly does have an effect on their songwriting. Certainly a large amount of pop music nowadays is whipped up fresh in record label labs and then given to the artist that will make it most successful. The result is a pretty repetitive and monotonous radio-sounds cape as far as many pop artists are concerned. Some bands break the mold though, and produce clean, honest, (mostly)original pop. Coldplay is in this category in my humble opinion.

I mean, at this point, and unfortunately we will never have an answer, we have to ask: Does Coldplay's label ever come to them and suggest they produce certain songs and do they listen? I really don't know... I am sure that the label has made requests before, but songs like ASFOS really just sound like Chris wanted to them because he likes that genre of music, whether it is popular or not... So it is hard to say.

This reminds me of alt-j recently though. On their new record, which is pretty good, their label wanted "more rock." So the band sarcastically came out with Left Hand Free, which is, as they described, the most cliched, cheesy rock song possible!

In conclusion though, I personally think it shouldn't, and doesn't, matter how Coldplay interacts with their label. Coldplay is a band that sells a lot of albums no matter what. At this point if they did something crazy and unexpected it would only get them more attention and cred. At this point, their label probably asks them to write songs for them haha.

^ I agree with you, but I wonder if this fact truly does have an effect on their songwriting. Certainly a large amount of pop music nowadays is whipped up fresh in record label labs and then given to the artist that will make it most successful. The result is a pretty repetitive and monotonous radio-sounds cape as far as many pop artists are concerned. Some bands break the mold though, and produce clean, honest, (mostly)original pop. Coldplay is in this category in my humble opinion.

I mean, at this point, and unfortunately we will never have an answer, we have to ask: Does Coldplay's label ever come to them and suggest they produce certain songs and do they listen? I really don't know... I am sure that the label has made requests before, but songs like ASFOS really just sound like Chris wanted to them because he likes that genre of music, whether it is popular or not... So it is hard to say.

This reminds me of alt-j recently though. On their new record, which is pretty good, their label wanted "more rock." So the band sarcastically came out with Left Hand Free, which is, as they described, the most cliched, cheesy rock song possible!

In conclusion though, I personally think it shouldn't, and doesn't, matter how Coldplay interacts with their label. Coldplay is a band that sells a lot of albums no matter what. At this point if they did something crazy and unexpected it would only get them more attention and cred. At this point, their label probably asks them to write songs for them haha.

Mmm for the alt j thing, it's not true their twitter account has revealed that that song wasn't written sarcastically but was meant to be like that