✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I was just listening to Ink and Oceans live and have now come up with one single desire for LP7: Please let it sound natural. GS has really grown on me as a record, but I can't get over the fact that it sounds so damn clean and crispy. There is never any harshness coming from guitars, and Chris' voice sounds way too pure! Listen to Oceans for example. The song is incredibly beautiful and haunting, but the acoustic guitar feels like a computer whipped it out rather than having some nice, imperfect strumming. Same with Fly On, the song is so damn lovely, but the piano feels like it was recorded in a room that is void of anything organic. Anyone else have this problem with the record?

MX occasionally had this same problem, but I think some of the rawness of certain tracks saved it. GS live is going to be such a great album because the tracks will feel more natural, so I hope that LP7 sees the guys record TOGETHER in the same room, and the amount of added production kept to a minimum so it doesn't feel too shiny and pieced together.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As weird as it sounds but i think its actually the beginning of something. Not the end of an Era. Why would they call this Messenger No.1 Vol.8 if its the end of the GS era? It's like they started a new chapter with this. No idea whats to come but for me this seems more like the start of whatever there is to come instead of the last thing before the GS era ends. Otherwise calling it No.1 Vol.8 would literally make no sense at all.

^ Oooooh that is a very good point indeed! Interesting! I wonder what they still have up their sleeve for GS!

I was just listening to Ink and Oceans live and have now come up with one single desire for LP7: Please let it sound natural. GS has really grown on me as a record, but I can't get over the fact that it sounds so damn clean and crispy. There is never any harshness coming from guitars, and Chris' voice sounds way too pure! Listen to Oceans for example. The song is incredibly beautiful and haunting, but the acoustic guitar feels like a computer whipped it out rather than having some nice, imperfect strumming. Same with Fly On, the song is so damn lovely, but the piano feels like it was recorded in a room that is void of anything organic. Anyone else have this problem with the record?

i agree with you except on oceans. it sounds very organic to me. you can even hear the acoustic guitar strumming out of rhythm and the beat. i love that about the song. but in general, the record is too clean. it needs a bit of rawness to it.

lol this is so strange, i love GS cause it has a more mature and clean and dynamic production than MX and X&Y, my least favourite albums

To a certain extent I agree with you. Some of that cleanness was really refreshing. Perhaps the ideal sound is a mix of clean production and raw instrumentation, which in many ways is what VLV was. MX and X&Y sometimes didn't always feel mature, but I really enjoy some of the musical styles they embraced. Were it not for a few tracks on both albums, I think they would be masterpieces.

MX occasionally had this same problem, but I think some of the rawness of certain tracks saved it. GS live is going to be such a great album because the tracks will feel more natural, so I hope that LP7 sees the guys record TOGETHER in the same room, and the amount of added production kept to a minimum so it doesn't feel too shiny and pieced together.

That is why I'm scared about LP7, because Chris lives in a different continent than the rest of the band... and even though there is technology and even though he is commuting between the US and UK, they can't meet up at the Bakery anytime they feel like it...

I honestly think that were about to hear an announcement for the next album very soon... Things are changing.. New dates being announced for December...and didn't Chris say The new album will be sort of a celebration or the end of a story or chapter? (New year). We are sure to hear new music when they pjay at the BBC awards and Munich in December.. We're definitely feeling the calm before the storm right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest howyousawtheworld

LP7 could do with a lot less 'challenged relationship' lyrical claptrap that has infested their last two albums. Where that resonated most was A Rush Of Blood To The Head which was more introspective, personal and conflicting with the individual as much it was with another person. It was also totally exempt from cliche ridden mush that resonate only with school age girls in naive and immature "relationships". It's an utterly tired concept and leaves Coldplay severely lacking in lyrical range or depth.

LP7 could do with a lot less 'challenged relationship' lyrical claptrap that has infested their last two albums. Where that resonated most was A Rush Of Blood To The Head which was more introspective, personal and conflicting with the individual as much it was with another person. It was also totally exempt from cliche ridden mush that resonate only with school age girls in naive and immature "relationships". It's an utterly tired concept and leaves Coldplay severely lacking in lyrical range or depth.

Preach brotha

well said. coldplay are desperately in need of more interesting, new (at least to them) lyrical themes that are worth talking about. and hope the repetition stops or at least reduces. the only song from GS era that came close to rush of blood levels lyrically was ghost story. now that is how you make a great song out of a simpler theme. i do love the contradictory nature of true love though. even with the over blown repetition.

^^^For shizzle. We know Chris is way better than MX and GS. I really liked how parts of MX mixed things up. I mean overall, now that I think of it, the album has serviceable lyrics. I particularly like lines on HLH, ETIAW, MM, DLIBYH and UWTB. The problem is that every other song was super cliched and mostly unimaginative. GS was a bigger offender. I mean, I like AIMH, and Magic is a really fun and interesting dichotomy when you think of it. Midnight and Oceans are overall good too.

All those songs show that they are perfectly capable of having decent lyrics. I am not saying any of them are poetic masterpieces, in fact, I hardly think any Coldplay song is really all that poetic, but on LP7 they need to get rid of that repetition and love/loss themes. Plus, no more fire, birds, smoke, sky, star cliches. Really over those.

chill

I wonder what they'll come up with next. I hope it's isn't repetition of this new stuff. This new cliche lovey dovey music becomes insufferable at some point. The only people on Instagram that I see purchasing, showing off and listening to this stuff seems to be what howyousawtheworld said, teenage and prepubescent girls. Once they grow up, they'll realize how simple and generic this music is. I can't stand hearing what could be One Direction tracks. Chris really needs to start challenging himself and getting the band more into the songwriting process. I have this small feeling that either Jonny, Guy or William don't totally like where their music is going. I'm still listening to the Brothers and Sisters EP in hopes that they'll escape from this cage of... Mediocrity.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. I feel very strongly about this.

It's nice to read opinions like this, because too many people just accept whatever they write. But I see there is a group of Coldplay fans that shares the same critical thinking. We just want them to sound mature.

Just wondering, have you heard Ben Howard's new album? He is a great example of an artist that just took the other direction. His first album is more of a mainstream folky album with many radiofriendly songs (love this album very much though, many good lyrics) and now he released a dark deep melancholic album (Song: End of the affair: OMG!). Not following what other young guitar-singersongwriters are doing like Ed Sheeran. That's a brave thing to do, it's only his second album.

+ Listening to his album, makes me wish even more that Coldplay would just finally leave the polished computer production and go for a much more natural/organic sound. I miss that!

If Coldplay wants to take a alternative/mature direction they can do, other artists do it. If their record label tells them not to, they should leave the label! Come on Chris, you're Devonian like Ben :p

can't help but feel like coldplay are getting too comfortable right now. it seemed like the incredible viva was a direct influence of the harsh criticism they got for x&y. specially chris has said that he doesn't want to be cool anymore and he doesn't care what anyone says. while it may be good for them as people to have that attitude, it may have the opposite effect on their music and creativity. i think trying to fit in with the "cooler" bands, to validate their creativity put a spark on their music when challenged. btw, i'm glad that this discussion started. was wondering if no one else felt this. it is ok for bands to have missteps. everything can't be top notch. but as long as they come back strong.