✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Guest howyousawtheworld
I haven't listened to it for a week! Might give Birds a listen every now and then but that's about it. I too sense this era feels quite different, the beginning of an end somehow.

The album is as irrelevant and unnecessary as they come. I can only hope the band takes a few years off after the tour to seriously contemplate their output for the past 8 years.

Genuinely I've had a Coldplay embargo for the last week or so which is going to last well after New Year. Doing so because this album has made me want to distance myself from them in the short term. Also I don't want to listen to their previous albums because the last thing I would want is to taint their older music via guilt by association (yes AHFOD is that poor). In February or March I'll go back to listen to their first four albums and think 'yeah - THIS is why I still love them'. For the moment though I can't really be doing with them. In the long term I think it will make me appreciate them again.

In the meantime, been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen, Sigur Ros and Travis (the original Coldplay) the past week. Just so so much better than what Coldplay just produced and a lot more honest as well.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Genuinely I've had a Coldplay embargo for the last week or so which is going to last well after New Year. Doing so because this album has made me want to distance myself from them in the short term. Also I don't want to listen to their previous albums because the last thing I would want is to taint their older music via guilt by association (yes AHFOD is that poor). In February or March I'll go back to listen to their first four albums and think 'yeah - THIS is why I still love them'. For the moment though I can't really be doing with them. In the long term I think it will make me appreciate them again.

In the meantime, been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen, Sigur Ros and Travis (the original Coldplay) the past week. Just so so much better than what Coldplay just produced and a lot more honest as well.

Same. Their music is becoming more "pussy" to the masses and their music just isn't my type anymore. Only songs I will listen to consistently in the future from AHFOD are the title track, Birds, Up&Up, Amazing Day, and Everglow (live). But, I will go on a CP embargo just like you and try to explore more artists/Strengthen my bond with other artists that I already listen to.

I just can't help but keep wondering, what got left off of the album because of Stargate's ultimatum policy?

Because I could sit here and listen to Moving to Mars and spend the rest of my life guessing as to why that, one of my favorite songs all-time, wasn't on MX.

It blows my mind that they would throw away all of those songs ("eight or nine for every one they accepted") at the behest of someone completely outside of the band. Who knows what we lost in the process... it hurts to even think about it.

A song that beat Up With The Birds, as impossible as it seems, probably got thrown away in those sessions. Stargate. Not cool. :(

^ It's starting to lose some of its sparkle for me also. I started out thinking it was an okay album--better than GS and MX--but now the only songs I listen to are AHFoD, Birds, Kaleidoscope, and sometimes Up&Up and Fun.

I'm forever saddened that the rest of AoaL isn't as good as that fantastic riff.

I find it interesting that there was all this hype before this album.. that this was going to be the return to "Oldplay", and that this was going to be the best album ever. Some died after they mentioned Tove Lo, Beyonce, and Stargate, and extra was generated because of Noel. After Amazing Day (before all of this got revealed) the forum polarized, and some said that this was going to be a bad album, some of the people who thought it was bad said that this is most likely going to be a worse song on the album, then the others got hyped for the album even more. After AOAL, mainly really positive and applauding Coldplay for trying yet more new things. After the preview of the MV for it some hype died again. After the leak, mainly positive.

After the release though... I just find it puzzling! The people who liked the album suddenly started to find it losing it's sparkle, and as a result the reactions to this album went steadily from positive... to a surprising more than half negative!....

It's weird with me too, because I also find it losing it's magic. I don't know why, this album as it gains it's "Coldplay identity" is losing it's sparkle. I think it's because it was so new and exciting and fresh from Coldplay in the beginning and we were all excited, yet as time past and we started to see it as any other Coldplay album, we all start to realize how good the rest of Coldplay's discography is... and as a result AHFOD's magic it losing quickly since we start to see the major flaws in it compared to the others. I must admit this is dropping in my album List. It's because I'm now seeing it as a Coldplay album, the "newness" and the awesomeness coming from it is fading, and we compare it to the rest of Coldplay's discography and it feels "incomplete" like something it missing. AROBTTH and MX were just so rich... but this one feels hollow now. And incomplete. Still massively good compared to other pop acts but this compared to a lot of the rest of Coldplay's discography just pales... Something's missing. :( :( :(

So much hype, all to be lost........ :(

• Like 1

Not getting all this about Stargate...the only thing I read was that they wanted to hear the songs before committing cuz they wanted to know if it was something they wanted to work on. So not sure what the ultimatum is that is talked about here, unless Im missing some official info. Clearly the songs on the album are the songs Coldplay wanted to put on the album...to me its really not more complicated than that.

As for Moving to Mars, I truly love that song! But I can see how it may not flow very well with the rest of MX as it was put together, though I seem to remember it was close to being included.

• Like 2

It's weird with me too, because I also find it losing it's magic. I don't know why, this album as it gains it's "Coldplay identity" is losing it's sparkle. I think it's because it was so new and exciting and fresh from Coldplay in the beginning and we were all excited, yet as time past and we started to see it as any other Coldplay album, we all start to realize how good the rest of Coldplay's discography is... and as a result AHFOD's magic it losing quickly since we start to see the major flaws in it compared to the others. I must admit this is dropping in my album List. It's because I'm now seeing it as a Coldplay album, the "newness" and the awesomeness coming from it is fading, and we compare it to the rest of Coldplay's discography and it feels "incomplete" like something it missing. AROBTTH and MX were just so rich... but this one feels hollow now. And incomplete. Still massively good compared to other pop acts but this compared to a lot of the rest of Coldplay's discography just pales... Something's missing. :( :( :(

So much hype, all to be lost........ :(

well maybe you've been listen to it way too much lol .. try to listen to some other artists and then get back to it you will find it awesome once again .. i do that all the time

i listen to all of kind of musics and i still find AHFOD as one of their finest albums

the only albums that stuck to me through all this years are VLVODAAHF and AROBTTH and MX .. time will tell if it same goes with AHFOD

• Like 1

^ Funny thing is, I've listened to it only like 3 times....

I suppose it's actually quite good but not as good as when it first came out. Again I think it goes along with that comparing it to Coldplay's discography that drags it down. If you listen to it on it's own without thinking about anything else it's really good.

Again I think it goes along with that comparing it to Coldplay's discography that drags it down. If you listen to it on it's own without thinking about anything else it's really good.

Probably true, cuz when you listen to something having other songs in mind, you kinda end up expecting something similar or have specific expectations and then you perhaps conclude its not good because it doesn't meet those expectations. But without preconceptions you´re free to just listen and enjoy. :) I´ve never compared to anything while listening so I wud not personally know, but I think you have a good point :)

• Like 1

So, what other artists do some of you generally agree on to be making good music now/albums to look forward to.

i really liked Florence and the machine album " How Big , How Blue , How beautiful " i feel like it's the album of the year .. I'm looking forward to new stuff from Green Day and the killers and quit allot of bands really :D

Not getting all this about Stargate...the only thing I read was that they wanted to hear the songs before committing cuz they wanted to know if it was something they wanted to work on. So not sure what the ultimatum is that is talked about here, unless Im missing some official info. Clearly the songs on the album are the songs Coldplay wanted to put on the album...to me its really not more complicated than that.

As for Moving to Mars, I truly love that song! But I can see how it may not flow very well with the rest of MX as it was put together, though I seem to remember it was close to being included.

Did Chris not say in the Ryan Seacress interview they had to "auditon" songs for Stargate before Stargate decided whether they would work on them or not?

Grab Army Of One

Burn it

I'm gonna buy this place and burn it down

Also gonna bury it six feet underground :p

Another way to fix the record:

• Listen to AROBTTH, Parachutes, X&Y and not Katy Perry
  • Take inspiration (from those albums)
  • Use (real) instruments
  • Invite Noel G and Thom Yorke
  • Don't bring in a pop producer

• Like 5

I didn't mean to say I did not ever enjoy them but when you stop listening to something for a while and then listen to it again you note even more how good it is !

I just realised that after I posted it. Why'd you stop listening to them for a while, though?

I just realised that after I posted it. Why'd you stop listening to them for a while, though?

To have exactly that effect. When you listen to something daily, after some months/weeks it becomes ordinary and you don't appreciate it as much. Stop listening to it for a while and the next time you do it sounds fresh and awesome again !

• Like 3

I hope you understood it was all about hype and not the quality of the album in itself. I listened to it fully only 4-5 times, the only 3 songs that I think I might listen to in the future will be Birds, Everglow and Fun, the rest is noise (like Jamie xx says lol)

• Like 1

I'll listen to AHFOD, Birds, Up&Up, AOAL, Fun and Amazing Day + the interludes as transitions.

Everglow= Boring and nothing amazingly special but quite beautiful

Hymn=Too poppy and too much Beyonce but at some point I'll begin listening again, I love the Mark Ronson style trumpets and piano/guitar riffs

XMTS=Not very very very very bad but the lyrics are damn awful and just no to a Coldplay-Drake song, I like them Kid-A noises though

Army Of One=Bland, annoying and terrible. Lyrics aren't even close to AROBTTH