✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I'll listen to AHFOD, Birds, Up&Up, AOAL, Fun and Amazing Day + the interludes as transitions.

Everglow= Boring and nothing amazingly special but quite beautiful

Hymn=Too poppy and too much Beyonce but at some point I'll begin listening again, I love the Mark Ronson style trumpets and piano/guitar riffs

XMTS=Not very very very very bad but the lyrics are damn awful and just no to a Coldplay-Drake song, I like them Kid-A noises though

Army Of One=Bland, annoying and terrible. Lyrics aren't even close to AROBTTH

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I love this album and it's the best early Christmas gift the guys could have given me (well, along with the concert in Offenbach). I'm not sure how I'll see this album in a couple of years, but right now it makes me happy and introspective at the same time.

Yeah, I'm weird. :eek: (<- actual depiction of me :D)

I wish I would have remembered to make one of the custom covers for the album I'm giving away as a Christmas present. But of course I remembered when it was already wrapped. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I know this is a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I love this album and it's the best early Christmas gift the guys could have given me (well, along with the concert in Offenbach). I'm not sure how I'll see this album in a couple of years, but right now it makes me happy and introspective at the same time.

I wish I would have remembered to make one of the custom covers for the album I'm giving away as a Christmas present. But of course I remembered when it was already wrapped. :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty much 50-50 when it comes to liking or disliking AHFOD. It's just that the people who dislike it tend to be more active on the forums :)

you're not weird actually allot of people out of this forum really liked it

• Like 1

Not weird at all! A lot of people actually love the album I believe, just the loudest voices are always going to be the negative ones.. Look at the user names of people who just utterly hate the album, it's basically the same 5 people..(not to say there aren't more who hate it) I myself love it, and at times while reading through these post want to present a defense, but I know the type of people who hate this album, I have close friends who are the type who would hate this album. There is no reasoning with them. None. They're opinion is God to them. So enjoy the album, like many of us are. I think many agree it's not their masterpiece( so far that's VLV or AROBTTH IMO) but it's not by any stretch of MY imagination a bad record. Who knows maybe one day I'll make a "in defense of AHFOD" thread, but for now I'll just enjoy some good music and good vibes.

• Like 1

I've noticed an interesting effect... In the act of defending / analyzing this album, I find that I notice and appreciate the musical aspects eg beats / rhythm, bass, production, etc more. But funnily enough the act of doing this does seem to take away from actual enjoyment of the album - I find it does something to my emotions so I connect (i.e. enjoy) less than if I were just sitting there allowing the music to sink in and not try to mould it a certain way emotionally.

I don't know what it means (or even if it means anything significant), but I find the music in this album doesn't drown out / lead away from pre-existing emotions into a mood / feeling set by the band - think how Don't Panic and Trouble were melancholic but led to comfort and reassurance, AROBTTH was a quiet rage and sense of loss, 1st half of MX was leading us towards joy etc... Whereas this album seems more reflective overall and often amplifies (at least for me) how I'm already feeling before hand, eg I feel more uplifted when I'm already in a good / relaxed mood, or feel bored if I was uninterested to start with, or negative about the album if I was already in a peeved mood in the first place. This album strikes me as lacking that sense of wanting to bring / force the listener to go with them in a specific direction emotionally, rather invites the listener to come with them for the ride - it doesn't suck you into the music, but offers an invitation to a warm embrace should you decide to go along for the musical ride.

I know we don't want this in rock music - hell, it's so not rock... But this seems to be what this album is about, emotionally at least

• Like 9

I've noticed an interesting effect... In the act of defending / analyzing this album, I find that I notice and appreciate the musical aspects eg beats / rhythm, bass, production, etc more. But funnily enough the act of doing this does seem to take away from actual enjoyment of the album - I find it does something to my emotions so I connect (i.e. enjoy) less than if I were just sitting there allowing the music to sink in and not try to mould it a certain way emotionally.

I don't know what it means (or even if it means anything significant), but I find the music in this album doesn't drown out / lead away from pre-existing emotions into a mood / feeling set by the band - think how Don't Panic and Trouble were melancholic but led to comfort and reassurance, AROBTTH was a quiet rage and sense of loss, 1st half of MX was leading us towards joy etc... Whereas this album seems more reflective overall and often amplifies (at least for me) how I'm already feeling before hand, eg I feel more uplifted when I'm already in a good / relaxed mood, or feel bored if I was uninterested to start with, or negative about the album if I was already in a peeved mood in the first place. This album strikes me as lacking that sense of wanting to bring / force the listener to go with them in a specific direction emotionally, rather invites the listener to come with them for the ride - it doesn't suck you into the music, but offers an invitation to a warm embrace should you decide to go along for the musical ride.

You make the best points on the entire forum. Spot on:D

I know we don't want this in rock music - hell, it's so not rock... But this seems to be what this album is about, emotionally at least

Post of the thread.

Very interesting analysis.. I believe it's where they're at as people that is transmitting this emotion.. Possibly why my wife has always hated MX but actually quite liked this album. She says that MX felt like a forced joy/happiness whereas this one actually seems like they are happy or at least in much better place.(those are her feeling, I have my own opinion on that matter, but I posted that somewhere else :)) Also musically i agree with your points, seeing people bring out the negative things and then re examining for myself I have discover many musical gems that I quite adore.

You make the best points on the entire forum. Spot on:D

Thanks for the compliment (and @Rickulus @ticking_clocks), it's very high praise I'm not sure I entirely deserve :p I just wanted to share what I had observed about my experience with this album, and hope I'm not imagining things... Hope some others here have noticed something similar?

wow post of the era :D

im quite interesting what's your albums ranking ?

Could it be that there is a sense of a lack of emotion in the album? It just drifts by without pulling you in anywhere into any sort of emotional ride, it's kind of soulless. Also, I don't think it captures any sort of feeling at the moment,great albums usually capture the mood of the people at that time and I don't think this really does. But i really do feel there's quite a lack of soul (emotion) in it.

Anyway, it seems to be very polarising some love it and some hate it.

wow post of the era :D

im quit interesting what's your albums ranking ?

Geez, thanks guys... I'm kinda in awe at the response to the post! As for the album ranking, I still haven't settled for one yet... Unlike GS for me, this one still feels it's got some ways to go yet before it settles itself, both in terms of how it ranks within all their other albums, and how it ranks by itself.

Musically (i.e. from a more technical and inspirational / originality of music perspective), it currently keeps see-sawing between a 5-7/10 for me... That doesn't bother me as I've never thought they were as gifted or brilliant as say Radiohead. But in terms of musical connection (i.e. how much I like the album based on whatever factors / biases / how I feel about it), I would say it swings quite a lot - sometimes it's a 5/10, other times it actually reaches an 8 or more... The interesting thing is, after hitting 8, it doesn't hook into a 9 or 10, rather it just feels more profound and moving than ever before - certainly makes me feel 'alive again' :)

EDIT: I should clarify that 10/10 musically is something like Bohemian Rhapsody, or Paranoid Android. AROBTTH album would rate 8-9 on this scale

• Like 1

Could it be that there is a sense of a lack of emotion in the album? It just drifts by without pulling you in anywhere into any sort of emotional ride, it's kind of soulless. Also, I don't think it captures any sort of feeling at the moment,great albums usually capture the mood of the people at that time and I don't think this really does. But i really do feel there's quite a lack of soul (emotion) in it.

Anyway, it seems to be very polarising some love it and some hate it.

I agree that traditionally great (rock) music pulls you in and captures the mood of the people... I don't know that this album was made to do that, or even if it was intentionally made this way or as a result of other factors - from this point of view the album is quite different to their previous work and will be polarizing due to this (in terms of whether fans rate this reflective quality / lack of emotional direction or not). Additionally, I'm sure opinions on the album will also differ based on whether people feel that this lack of emotional push / pull is actually intentional by the band or not...

• Like 1

Did Chris not say in the Ryan Seacress interview they had to "auditon" songs for Stargate before Stargate decided whether they would work on them or not?

Yes, thats what I mentioned in my post as well. That Stargate wanted to hear the songs before saying whether they wanted the job as producers or not. They showed them the demos or some demos before they decided to get on board. Thats not unusual to me, as Stargate comes from a different music world than Coldplay, they probably wanted to hear some songs before deciding whether they could be fit as and wanted to be producers to the album.

How does this in any way translate to Stargate, as I think it was hinted somewhere here, vetoed songs, set ultimatums or decided how the songs were gonna sound? That sounds just, well, crazy to me :) Obviously they did not. Coldplay chose the demos they wanted, put the songs they wanted on the album, gave them to Stargate for "tinkering", listened back at the result and approved or not (as we hear from Will and Guy interview). Coldplay hired Stargate, not the other way around *lol*

I´d say if anyone doesn't like the sound of the album or doesn't like the songs on it, then the "blame" is squarely to be put on Coldplay´s shoulders and I see no reason or information we have so far that would justify putting it on anyone else´s.

• Like 3

I agree that traditionally great (rock) music pulls you in and captures the mood of the people... I don't know that this album was made to do that.

I dont feel the album lacks emotions, but I dont feel it was made as a poignant deep piece of work either. I feel it was made in the spirit of and to convey fun, joy and positivity. I see it as a celebration with balloons and people dancing, while reflecting on the past and everything that led to said celebration :)

• Like 2

what we do know is there were more collaborations that didn't come out as well. we know of the times they went to the studio with madeon and sza. who knows how many coldplay songs never saw the light of day this era?

Geez, thanks guys... I'm kinda in awe at the response to the post! As for the album ranking, I still haven't settled for one yet... Unlike GS for me, this one still feels it's got some ways to go yet before it settles itself, both in terms of how it ranks within all their other albums, and how it ranks by itself.

Musically (i.e. from a more technical and inspirational / originality of music perspective), it currently keeps see-sawing between a 5-7/10 for me... That doesn't bother me as I've never thought they were as gifted or brilliant as say Radiohead. But in terms of musical connection (i.e. how much I like the album based on whatever factors / biases / how I feel about it), I would say it swings quite a lot - sometimes it's a 5/10, other times it actually reaches an 8 or more... The interesting thing is, after hitting 8, it doesn't hook into a 9 or 10, rather it just feels more profound and moving than ever before - certainly makes me feel 'alive again' :)

I agree with gentleparachute. With the release of A Head Full of Dreams, I see a different band. It's Coldplay alright but without giving a f***k on charts, records, on what the critics have to say.. everything. Seems like the band is indeed in a much comfortable place right now. The album for me is being grateful that we are alive, whether we are currently experiencing pain and challenges or simply mesmerized by how simple things could bring happiness... I found peace in this record though sometimes there are certain points wherein it gets too poppy for my taste.

• Like 6

With the release of A Head Full of Dreams, I see a different band. It's Coldplay alright but without giving a f***k on charts, records, on what the critics have to say.. everything.

Uhm, I feel completely the opposite. To me this album sounds totally made for the charts, the kind of music 100% made to be played 450 times a day by radios for a few months, but then drops off pretty quickly because it's nothing memorable, really.

• Like 6

Basically, my official thoughts on the album are this- there's some sprinkled magic in there- Birds, Amazing Day, Kalediscope..

And I even think Birds and Amazing Day are some of the best songs they've done since AROBTTH.

But the rest- is really ... not so good. And the main reason is...they're using tricks by the professionals ...and these professionals are usually hired for people with little talent...to throw in clap tracks and ...work with guest stars.. to release that ultimate radio-friendly pop music.

These are tricks that a band like Coldplay has never needed ...or probably wanted.

And it does bother me...if I think that these are tricks Coldplay are going to be using from now on... instead of just being a band again.

• Like 4

Basically, my official thoughts on the album are this- there's some sprinkled magic in there- Birds, Amazing Day, Kalediscope..

And I even think Birds and Amazing Day are some of the best songs they've done since AROBTTH.

But the rest- is really ... not so good. And the main reason is...they're using tricks by the professionals ...and these professionals are usually hired for people with little talent...to throw in clap tracks and ...work with guest stars.. to release that ultimate radio-friendly pop music.

These are tricks that a band like Coldplay has never needed ...or probably wanted.

And it does bother me...if I think that these are tricks Coldplay are going to be using from now on... instead of just being a band again.

it's such a mixed bag with several real highs and terrible lows. ultimately the lows outweigh the highs in number and in quality. that's why this was disappointing for me.