• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prospekt's March 6

VLVODAAHF 2

Parachutes 1

X&Y 1

Prospekt marched straight out of the game.

So now in Round 6 we're left with the four first Coldplay LP's, all of them fan favorites and classics ! At this point the battle is probably gonna get really intense, so vote away !

Parachutes

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

X&Y

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

It's really hard now for me to decide. AROBTTH and X&Y are my top 2. So that leaves either Parachutes or Viva to eliminate... I vote for Viva to be eliminated.

X&Y.

Easily.

Weird how the fan perception here is so different to the general music community. Almost every non-Coldplay-fan I've spoke to think their first two albums are far superior to everything else - with X&Y being their low point.

IMO, Parachutes is a mini-classic. X&Y is a bland, trite, cliched, "how-epic-can-we-make-this-song??", rework of A Rush of Blood to the Head.

X&Y.

Easily.

Weird how the fan perception here is so different to the general music community. Almost every non-Coldplay-fan I've spoke to think their first two albums are far superior to everything else - with X&Y being their low point.

IMO, Parachutes is a mini-classic. X&Y is a bland, trite, cliched, "how-epic-can-we-make-this-song??", rework of A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Nah X&Y is great, easily their third best after A Rush Of Blood and Parachutes as you say. Not really a re-work of AROBTTH at all, it's very unique in my opinion. The technological, futuristic appeal of the album is great (Sampling Kraftwerk, probably one of the most influential groups in modern music is a great omage and a great fusion of two different genres of music) It just seeps atmosphere... X&Y has hardly aged at all and still sounds modern in 2015. X&Y is Coldplay's longest album as well and there are so many underrated gems there. Low, White Shadows, Square One. X&Y is how you do experimentation right in my opinion, something different yet still true to your core sound. 2003-2006 was their peak.

I vote VLVODAAHF.

X&Y.

Easily.

I could say that X&Y is their most intimate and mature album in terms of lyrics and musical style, the right balance between previous eras and the following ones, that the first album where they tried to create their own formula and not trying to emulate their favourite artists (Radiohead in Parachutes and U2 in AROBTTH), except for Speed Of Sound whose story is related to Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill, that is the album which made them an inspiration for other pop groups of the last years (The Script, Kodaline , Imagine Dragons, Amber Run, ecc ecc)...

However, the most important fact about it is that X&Y is basically a guilty pleasure: I know that technically they made better albums (AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF), but their souls reside in that album. That's why a lot of fans claim it to be their best.

The people have spoken, and Parachutes had to flee the game and is now a fugitive, look at the way it lives...

Parachutes 5

VLVODAAHF 2

X&Y 2

AROBTTH 1

The contestants for Round 7 are:

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

X&Y

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

I'm sad about Parachutes but I am glad that X&Y is at least still there. The X&Y Era was their artistic peak, imho, the album is my favourite along with AROBTTH: Maybe AROBTTH has the better flow as an album, but X&Y has the better individual songs. Each song a gem !

So I still vote VLVODAAHF to be eliminated.