🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

AHFOD Reviews by Music Critics

CP-EST

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ You three (@howyousawtheworld, @Coldmartin and @Batman) I know it sounds horrendous but it's obviously the kids!!! Particularly now he's technically no longer with their mum, CM has got to find a way to connect with his kids... What better way to do that than through music! And if the kids are listening to Bieber et al, then he'll be keeping an ear out that way - who wouldn't want to appear cool to his / her kids?? The way I see it, he's just making the best out of the situation... Might as well absorb the best of those influences while you're at it and make some lemonade with your lemons That's why my prediction is in another couple of albums (5-10 years) they'll go back to making rock again, coz that's when the kids will be discovering the new rock bands of their age! So don't sweat, they'll go back to becoming proper musicians again in a few years

Well then...

*pulls up sleeves*

time to get some fear and paranoia back into that singer!

*jumps into bat-van to abduct some kids*

:awesome:

You make a good point, it makes a lot of sense. Can't wait to his kids being old enough to listen to some other ahem better music

Oh how I wish Coldplay would take it upon themselves to make another Animals

o gosh yeS!!

Guest howyousawtheworld
:laugh3:

But seriously though, I was just done reading the interview and I'm baffled how much Chris has changed. He did a 180° turn. It's great for the people who like the stuff that's on the charts nowadays, and a nightmare for people who prefer Coldplay's older style.

I cannot deny that some of the new songs are great and catchy... but I personally resonate much more with Chris' younger self from that interview, so I really cherish the older songs. The article mentions how magnificent the song Animals is, and I can only agree on that!

They're catchy but I fear they will be like bubblegum once again - ludicrously juicy and sugary to enjoy for a few minutes but quickly the taste wears off and you're left chewing on blandness. Ghost Stories was just like that. On first listen I thought it was undoubtedly better than MX but then after a couple more listens could not find the will to go back into it. Yes there are a few songs on it that still have good playback value - Always In My Head, Midnight and O (Fly On), but I really don't feel compelled to go back and listen to the others.

By contrast I find their older work a lot more durable and like a fine wine or cheese that gets better with age. Classic songwriting never dies and as successful as songs like Paradise and A Sky Full Of Stars were, they have failed to imprint themselves on the public consciousness in the same way that similar chart hits like Yellow, The Scientist, Clocks or Viva did. They are enduring masterpieces whereas Paradise and ASFOS have arguably been buried under the refuse of what is now a quality less mass produced commercial mainstream that churns out 'hit after hit' like McDonalds does with cheeseburgers.

Guest howyousawtheworld
^^ You three (@howyousawtheworld, @Coldmartin and @Batman) I know it sounds horrendous but it's obviously the kids!!! Particularly now he's technically no longer with their mum, CM has got to find a way to connect with his kids... What better way to do that than through music! And if the kids are listening to Bieber et al, then he'll be keeping an ear out that way - who wouldn't want to appear cool to his / her kids?? The way I see it, he's just making the best out of the situation... Might as well absorb the best of those influences while you're at it and make some lemonade with your lemons ;) That's why my prediction is in another couple of albums (5-10 years) they'll go back to making rock again, coz that's when the kids will be discovering the new rock bands of their age! So don't sweat, they'll go back to becoming proper musicians again in a few years :D

A moot point indeed!

Well then...

*pulls up sleeves*

time to get some fear and paranoia back into that singer!

*jumps into bat-van to abduct some kids*

:awesome:

You make a good point, it makes a lot of sense. Can't wait to his kids being old enough to listen to some other ahem better music

o gosh yeS!!

Hahaha.... LMFAO!! :laugh3:

Here, let me help you, I'll be the one in a ski mask at the back of the van :wink3:

Yup, I'm looking forward to that time too when they'll be ready to search for themselves and have some angst with the world... I'm sure the musical sources and output then will be good given their musical parentage / heritage:D

They're catchy but I fear they will be like bubblegum once again - ludicrously juicy and sugary to enjoy for a few minutes but quickly the taste wears off and you're left chewing on blandness. Ghost Stories was just like that. On first listen I thought it was undoubtedly better than MX but then after a couple more listens could not find the will to go back into it. Yes there are a few songs on it that still have good playback value - Always In My Head, Midnight and O (Fly On), but I really don't feel compelled to go back and listen to the others.

By contrast I find their older work a lot more durable and like a fine wine or cheese that gets better with age. Classic songwriting never dies and as successful as songs like Paradise and A Sky Full Of Stars were, they have failed to imprint themselves on the public consciousness in the same way that similar chart hits like Yellow, The Scientist, Clocks or Viva did. They are enduring masterpieces whereas Paradise and ASFOS have arguably been buried under the refuse of what is now a quality less mass produced commercial mainstream that churns out 'hit after hit' like McDonalds does with cheeseburgers.

:nod::nod::nod:

Hahaha.... LMFAO!! :laugh3:

Here, let me help you, I'll be the one in a ski mask at the back of the van :wink3:

Yup, I'm looking forward to that time too when they'll be ready to search for themselves and have some angst with the world... I'm sure the musical sources and output then will be good given their musical parentage / heritage:D

I'm always glad doe some help bAHAH

Hopefully so! I mean, I'm a terrible person for saying this, but maybe something bad needs to happen for them to make memorable music again. Just a thought! in case anyone wants to kill me for saying that :o

A moot point indeed!

How is it moot? Much as all of us here (me included) would love if they could just concentrate as musicians and not be affected / influenced by their other roles in their lives, it is just not going to happen... If they care enough about their world to donate 10% to charities and be involved in causes like Global Citizen, don't you think they would try and make sure they fulfill their other roles as good parents first? My suspicion is if they had to choose between being in a band and being a good parent, they would go with parenting, not because they don't care about music anymore, far from it!

Thank goodness for everyone (us included) that they've managed themselves, their careers, lives, and relationships well enough that none of them have had to leave the band behind.... But with all the things that can go wrong / need lining up, it's a minor miracle they are still together and making music that rocks people's socks off and isn't tired or recycled... Now that's real commitment! When you listen to their music, consider how many other worries/priorities they've each had to put aside to reach that sound we are hearing... That's another reason it doesn't surprise me that they are now doing more uplifting music - no one could survive doing Oldplay music and live with those extra worries and responsibilities without having a mental breakdown.

I'm always glad doe some help bAHAH

Hopefully so! I mean, I'm a terrible person for saying this, but maybe something bad needs to happen for them to make memorable music again. Just a thought! in case anyone wants to kill me for saying that

the thing is, i've seen a lot of people wishing bad things on the band (especially chris) to get better music as in the old days :laugh3: so you are definitely not alone in thinking so. the trade off is a dilemma alright. happy band vs. good music. too bad that seems to be the case.

i do remember chris saying around x&y that at the time he tried not to enjoy himself much (feel like the guy who left the party too early) to make good music. i remember this, because he was mocked for saying this at the time :)

the thing is, i've seen a lot of people wishing bad things on the band (especially chris) to get better music as in the old days so you are definitely not alone in thinking so. the trade off is a dilemma alright. happy band vs. good music. too bad that seems to be the case.

Well then I'm not the only bad person around here, good to know:sweatdrop:

i do remember chris saying around x&y that at the time he tried not to enjoy himself much (feel like the guy who left the party too early) to make good music. i remember this, because he was mocked for saying this at the time
Now you mention this, I remember him saying that as well! I love X&Y so much :wacko:

@gai and @Batman, I personally feel there are enough unhappy/ difficult things in the world to not want to wish that unto others, much less this band I love... All those worries will come soon enough- sick relatives, relationship changes, realizing there's not much you can do to protect your kids from hurt.. The usual cycle of life. I'm just happy for the band that they've found a time in their life that they are genuinely happy about, and that they can all be happy together in this time and appreciate it with one another.. We're lucky that they're good musicians in this age and time coz that means we get to share and partake in that journey together with them, in this good period in their life. That's why I feel we should celebrate! We truly are lucky (in the whole scheme of things), and I think sometimes it is not acknowledged often enough here...

Whew, that was a bit serious, wasn't it? Phffffft! :P

@gentleparachute i'm with you :) that's why i try to keep a positive look on the musical output, even though i haven't been that satisfied by a record since viva. doesn't mean i'm not disappointed. still, great to see the band happy and content. and even though the new music may not be my cup of tea, there is plenty to enjoy and that's why coldplay are still my favorite band.

How is it moot? Much as all of us here (me included) would love if they could just concentrate as musicians and not be affected / influenced by their other roles in their lives, it is just not going to happen... If they care enough about their world to donate 10% to charities and be involved in causes like Global Citizen, don't you think they would try and make sure they fulfill their other roles as good parents first? My suspicion is if they had to choose between being in a band and being a good parent, they would go with parenting, not because they don't care about music anymore, far from it!

Thank goodness for everyone (us included) that they've managed themselves, their careers, lives, and relationships well enough that none of them have had to leave the band behind.... But with all the things that can go wrong / need lining up, it's a minor miracle they are still together and making music that rocks people's socks off and isn't tired or recycled... Now that's real commitment! When you listen to their music, consider how many other worries/priorities they've each had to put aside to reach that sound we are hearing... That's another reason it doesn't surprise me that they are now doing more uplifting music - no one could survive doing Oldplay music and live with those extra worries and responsibilities without having a mental breakdown.

Excellent point. How many bands of their level of fame have been able to stick together for almost 20 straight years with still no sign of breaking up and while continuing to put out albums every 2-3 years? I can think of U2 and Muse, and that's literally it.

Even if I may not be a fan of their most recent material, I continue to be thankful that they're still together. I'm lucky to have discovered my favorite band during a time when I can enjoy albums for the first time with thousands of other fans and listen in when they're on the radio and buy magazines they're interviewed in. It's that sense of community that I believe will help keep Coldplay from ever being knocked off the top of my all-time favorite bands list. :wacky:

@gentleparachute i'm with you :) that's why i try to keep a positive look on the musical output, even though i haven't been that satisfied by a record since viva. doesn't mean i'm not disappointed. still, great to see the band happy and content. and even though the new music may not be my cup of tea, there is plenty to enjoy and that's why coldplay are still my favorite band.

This is the lens that not only music should be looked at, but really life should be looked at from as well... it's actually one of the things that Chris has been focusing on in a lot of his interviews which I really like- the whole thing of being grateful for something like even being alive today and everything else we do end up taking for granted. We should all be thankful for what we get (that includes getting this Coldplay album in 2 weeks, even if it isnt our favorite per-say) and be living life optimistically. That's one vibe I think we're gonna get from this album- the whole optimism thing... frankly I don't mind that as long as there is stuff to be listened to that is worth listening to!

Anyway //Deep gratefulness speech-rant thing

:)

I disagree when it comes to Paradise. I'm british but i'm currently in the US. Ever since Paradise was released four years ago, Paradise has always been played on radio as a recurrent. In fact, Paradise is a radio favorite on most alt stations, especially in the west coast. I follow radio charts and song sales charts.. Paradise, at least on US radio is one of the most requested songs on Alt radio stations.. and yes.. that song is more requested than Yellow (it is sad though cuz i like Yellow so much) :(

I remember watching an old OLD interview (from 2000) where he noted the band's influences were the likes of Radiohead and Idlewild. IDLEWILD!! The great Scottish rock band (Listen to their song American English if you love old Coldplay...oh what sublime song!)

And now he's on Ryan Seacrest radio talking about how he was loving and listening to...err Justin Bieber?

In what sane world do you regress from listening and being influenced by Idlewild and Radiohead...to lauding Justin Bieber? Surely it's the other way round.

I'm genuinely starting to think that Chris Martin and Coldplay are the Benjamin Button's of the music world

So? It's not like Chris hates Radiohead or Idlewild. You and I both know he fucking loves them still. I don't understand the boner people have against Justin Bieber. That, and pop music. Why should we care that much about who he likes?

(I'm not trying to argue, just curious.)

So, basically, this? :uhoh2: :

IyOFd23.jpg

:uhoh:

This is a really well done graphic. :thumbsup:

They're free to be positive (though they do sound just a little blind-to-anything-that's-not-incredible :P). More than anything, I wish the lyrics felt more substantial.

Quality positive lyrics that come to my mind from MX

"Bullets fly, split the sky; but that's alright, sometimes sunlight comes streaming through the holes."

"The birds they sang, all a choir, "start again a little higher." It's a spark in a sea of gray."

Granted, we haven't heard the whole album. There's still time yet (I hope)!

They're a pop band for fuck's sake not the GIGN! Let's look at the band and how they work/live in the grand scheme of things. Realistically they lead an extremely easy and sumptuous life and their effort-reward balance is ridiculous compared to lets say teachers or soldiers fighting terrorism. So if we're pragmatic about people's lives in the real world, it's not a miracle that a pop band have stayed together.

They also don't "rock people's socks off"!! Coldplay have as much rock factor in them as a can of beans.