✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD Reviews by Music Critics

CP-EST

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're a pop band for fuck's sake not the GIGN! Let's look at the band and how they work/live in the grand scheme of things. Realistically they lead an extremely easy and sumptuous life and their effort-reward balance is ridiculous compared to lets say teachers or soldiers fighting terrorism. So if we're pragmatic about people's lives in the real world, it's not a miracle that a pop band have stayed together.

They also don't "rock people's socks off"!! Coldplay have as much rock factor in them as a can of beans.

Yes, they are a band (pop, or rock or whatever) and not the GIGN... I think they know that full well too, that's why they're usually humble as pie. I don't think anyone (least of all themselves) is comparing them to teachers / soldiers / healthcare providers in terms of the role they serve in society... But the facts still are they have led and managed their lives well enough that everyone has been together through this time, still likes being in the band, and have not had any major issues - put that down to luck over 2-3 years if you like, but over 20 years? That's a well-led and well-managed life, my friend, times 4 (or 5 if you want to include PH) and their respective families, kudos to them as well!

No Oasis-type break-ups or Muse-type breakdowns or public spousal feuds... Too many groups (pop or not) have disbanded, then re-banded, or fallen into quiet mediocrity by this time. And yeah, RH and U2 have stayed together through this period similarly with minimal fuss and with (at least most of) their credibility intact - that makes a grand total of 3 (including Coldplay) out of how many that have fallen by the wayside??? Don't forget INXS, G&R, Nirvana to mention but a few. Before you talk about RHCP, Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, etc, remember personnel changes to these bands (looks like only the British ones know how to stay together) and that the other bands eg Travis, Keane etc sell less records (ie are smaller bands).

And yeah, they have it "easy" compared to a lot of people living on the poverty line - they know that anyway (and never complain) - but it's really demeaning to label their life "extremely easy" and "effort reward is ridiculous" just because they don't like to point out they have their own issues in life too... they still have had to put in the hard work, worked through a lot of personal issues, and I'm sure suffered a few knocks through their time together... Of course it's not going to be a medical emergency "gotta save this guy or he's dead" sort of situation... But don't forget the role of art is to uplift and inspire society, give us something to look forward to / get us through (and that listening to this band is not compulsory like national service :rolleyes:)... I am sure there are a number of fans who will readily identify this band as being responsible for helping them through very difficult periods in their lives, if not outright kept them alive (I should know, I am one of them, and now I spend my daily life helping others in my occupation, and sometimes hanging out here in my spare time :sneaky:).

As for "rocking socks off" - seriously that's a personal opinion... But if you want some examples, take Talk, Low, parts of Clocks, Major Minus, Chinese Sleep Chant, HLH and AOAL most recently - I never meant rock in a classic rock sort of way (d'oh this band have never done classic rock). And yeah, lets not involve the drunk soldiers who rape vulnerable people, or teachers who bash their partners up at home after a bad day at work from your examples above 'coz they're not coping... I do not want my musicians to end up with these sorts of issues just to produce "good" music - give me blander music anytime - I do not want that sort of blood on my hands just to experience a "high" of good music.

FFS, it is just music, so give this band who are trying to live their good lives in peace a break while we're on this rant! What did they ever do to you to inspire such scorn and belittlement... And if you have previously been touched by their music, be thankful that you have had that experience - plenty of others have not (with any band / music)!

I get the frustration that they are no longer producing as much "good" music as some people here would like... what a waste of emotion if you're still that involved with a band that does not fulfill your emotional need anymore / frustrates the shit that much out of you... Unfortunately no one can "force" matters of the heart, much as people try... Realise that and either accept reality or consider moving on... Alternately you are always free to debate on this topic and vent your frustration, however you will receive no sympathy from myself regarding your predicament... I feel for you, but at the same time cannot take on your position.

Guest diogo_sg
Yes, they are a band (pop, or rock or whatever) and not the GIGN... I think they know that full well too, that's why they're usually humble as pie. I don't think anyone (least of all themselves) is comparing them to teachers / soldiers / healthcare providers in terms of the role they serve in society... But the facts still are they have led and managed their lives well enough that everyone has been together through this time, still likes being in the band, and have not had any major issues - put that down to luck over 2-3 years if you like, but over 20 years? That's a well-led and well-managed life, my friend, times 4 (or 5 if you want to include PH) and their respective families, kudos to them as well!

No Oasis-type break-ups or Muse-type breakdowns or public spousal feuds... Too many groups (pop or not) have disbanded, then re-banded, or fallen into quiet mediocrity by this time. And yeah, RH and U2 have stayed together through this period similarly with minimal fuss and with (at least most of) their credibility intact - that makes a grand total of 3 (including Coldplay) out of how many that have fallen by the wayside??? Don't forget INXS, G&R, Nirvana to mention but a few. Before you talk about RHCP, Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, etc, remember personnel changes to these bands (looks like only the British ones know how to stay together) and that the other bands eg Travis, Keane etc sell less records (ie are smaller bands).

And yeah, they have it "easy" compared to a lot of people living on the poverty line - they know that anyway (and never complain) - but it's really demeaning to label their life "extremely easy" and "effort reward is ridiculous" just because they don't like to point out they have their own issues in life too... they still have had to put in the hard work, worked through a lot of personal issues, and I'm sure suffered a few knocks through their time together... Of course it's not going to be a medical emergency "gotta save this guy or he's dead" sort of situation... But don't forget the role of art is to uplift and inspire society, give us something to look forward to / get us through (and that listening to this band is not compulsory like national service :rolleyes:)... I am sure there are a number of fans who will readily identify this band as being responsible for helping them through very difficult periods in their lives, if not outright kept them alive (I should know, I am one of them, and now I spend my daily life helping others in my occupation, and sometimes hanging out here in my spare time :sneaky:).

As for "rocking socks off" - seriously that's a personal opinion... But if you want some examples, take Talk, Low, parts of Clocks, Major Minus, Chinese Sleep Chant, HLH and AOAL most recently - I never meant rock in a classic rock sort of way (d'oh this band have never done classic rock). And yeah, lets not involve the drunk soldiers who rape vulnerable people, or teachers who bash their partners up at home after a bad day at work from your examples above 'coz they're not coping... I do not want my musicians to end up with these sorts of issues just to produce "good" music - give me blander music anytime - I do not want that sort of blood on my hands just to experience a "high" of good music.

FFS, it is just music, so give this band who are trying to live their good lives in peace a break while we're on this rant! What did they ever do to you to inspire such scorn and belittlement... And if you have previously been touched by their music, be thankful that you have had that experience - plenty of others have not (with any band / music)!

I get the frustration that they are no longer producing as much "good" music as some people here would like... what a waste of emotion if you're still that involved with a band that does not fulfill your emotional need anymore / frustrates the shit that much out of you... Unfortunately no one can "force" matters of the heart, much as people try... Realise that and either accept reality or consider moving on... Alternately you are always free to debate on this topic and vent your frustration, however you will receive no sympathy from myself regarding your predicament... I feel for you, but at the same time cannot take on your position.

I adore this post. Please don't feel offended @nvdmm.

Guest diogo_sg
I am not offended or disheartened at all. I find it exhilarating that you have so much passion for the band. I applaud your frame of mind and positivism.

Are you talking to @gentleparachute or to me?

If it is to me, thank you.

I am not offended or disheartened at all. I find it exhilarating that you have so much passion for the band. I applaud your frame of mind and positivism.

i hope u did not intend to be sarcastic in this post. its almost christmas,.. let there be peace on earth :D :D

They're catchy but I fear they will be like bubblegum once again - ludicrously juicy and sugary to enjoy for a few minutes but quickly the taste wears off and you're left chewing on blandness. Ghost Stories was just like that. On first listen I thought it was undoubtedly better than MX but then after a couple more listens could not find the will to go back into it. Yes there are a few songs on it that still have good playback value - Always In My Head, Midnight and O (Fly On), but I really don't feel compelled to go back and listen to the others.

By contrast I find their older work a lot more durable and like a fine wine or cheese that gets better with age. Classic songwriting never dies and as successful as songs like Paradise and A Sky Full Of Stars were, they have failed to imprint themselves on the public consciousness in the same way that similar chart hits like Yellow, The Scientist, Clocks or Viva did. They are enduring masterpieces whereas Paradise and ASFOS have arguably been buried under the refuse of what is now a quality less mass produced commercial mainstream that churns out 'hit after hit' like McDonalds does with cheeseburgers.

Expanding on this, I've always felt like the first four Coldplay albums work because the songs sound like they could've been written at any point during the last 40 years. MX and GS on the other hand sound very of-the-moment, it's hard to imagine them being written or recorded at any other point in history. That's fine in the short term but it also means they won't age well. For me it still feels like Coldplay released Viva yesterday, yet MX feels like forever ago now.

I don't buy into the whole Chris being happy = bad music thing either. Viva was ludicrously happy at points and most love that, whilst GS is sad and downbeat for the most part and people here don't seem to get into it at all. I actually think one of the reasons why MX failed was because it seemed like Chris was pretending to be happy through his songs, which could be why a lot of it feels so hollow. Not so much the emotion itself, but the sincerity of it. He seems genuinely happy now though, which gives me some hope for AHFOD.

Expanding on this, I've always felt like the first four Coldplay albums work because the songs sound like they could've been written at any point during the last 40 years. MX and GS on the other hand sound very of-the-moment, it's hard to imagine them being written or recorded at any other point in history. That's fine in the short term but it also means they won't age well. For me it still feels like Coldplay released Viva yesterday, yet MX feels like forever ago now.

I don't buy into the whole Chris being happy = bad music thing either. Viva was ludicrously happy at points and most love that, whilst GS is sad and downbeat for the most part and people here don't seem to get into it at all. I actually think one of the reasons why MX failed was because it seemed like Chris was pretending to be happy through his songs, which could be why a lot of it feels so hollow. Not so much the emotion itself, but the sincerity of it. He seems genuinely happy now though, which gives me some hope for AHFOD.

just my opinion though.. Paradise may have some 2011-ish production, but that string/synth section or melody alone extremely makes up for it.. that melody alone is timeless. and IMO, Paradise will age very well..

just my opinion though.. Paradise may have some 2011-ish production, but that string/synth section or melody alone extremely makes up for it.. that melody alone is timeless. and IMO, Paradise will age very well..

I wonder whether the string / synth thing will be dating? Although Paradise will continue to be a good song for its era anyway...

I had a thought relating to this just last night that's kind of similar to what you're saying, so I'm just going to piggyback off this if that's okay :D

I agree with you as to why MX seems to fail at being "happy," although I think there is another reason that it and GS seem to ring so hollow in the eyes of a lot of fans. For one, MX seemed to be trying too hard to be different. With Viva it came naturally, but it always seemed to me that they guys didn't really know how to keep that wildcard experimental aspect going, so they just seized onto the first "non-rock" influence they could find (pop) and ran with it. It also (in my eyes anyway, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this) doesn't really have a great flow. It's like a trumped-up version of X&Y, there are some good moments here and there, but they get buried under a lot of mediocrity and forgotten in the very jarring way that everything is organized.

Relating to that, I think we can all agree that many (if not all) of Coldplay's albums have always had two/three main themes undercutting everything: love/hope and heartbreak. I think where some of Coldplay's lesser-liked albums (MX and GS mainly) fall flat is that that's all those two albums are about.

MX: I love you, we're gonna definitely win this urban revolution thing; oh actually you're breaking up with me? That's cool, we're still gonna come out of this okay.

GS: I am sad, but wait, it's okay to be sad!

You just get bashed over the head with it and it really cheapens what could be a nice message. Obviously, Viva and ARoBttH deal with those themes too, but in between ARoBttH's anger and Viva's life/death struggle, you get some breathing room.

Conclusion: Writing songs about happiness is fine; writing songs about sadness is fine, but we need something other than those two things to really make a good record.

Conclusion: Writing songs about happiness is fine; writing songs about sadness is fine, but we need something other than those two things to really make a good record.

I agree with this too. Every album has lyrical bright spots, some more than others. AROBTTH and Viva had the most diversity in my opinion, whereas MX, X&Y, GS, took lyrics to the most simplified level possible. I am not saying that all of the lyrics are bad on these albums..in fact some of my favorite lyrics come from White Shadows, HLH, DLIBYH, Magic.

I guess the point I am trying to add is that Chris is the master of pop songs about overcoming sad feelings for gleeful happiness and I love that so I hope they always do it. "Can't get over you, Still I call it Magic." or "I'm a dream that died by light of day." "go on and tear me apart, I don't care if you do" All of these lyrics are poppy and simple but quite powerful.

I think AHFOD is going to have the best lyrics since Viva. I am definitely expecting some really crappy, universal abstractions about sadness or depression but then joy. But Viva had those too. I don't know. just my prediction. I could be completely wrong and this Q review definitely didn't seem impressed by the lyrics.

They're a pop band for fuck's sake not the GIGN! Let's look at the band and how they work/live in the grand scheme of things. Realistically they lead an extremely easy and sumptuous life and their effort-reward balance is ridiculous compared to lets say teachers or soldiers fighting terrorism. So if we're pragmatic about people's lives in the real world, it's not a miracle that a pop band have stayed together.

They also don't "rock people's socks off"!! Coldplay have as much rock factor in them as a can of beans.

"As a can of beans." Literally the funniest expression I have read in a while. I just loled in the middle of a car full of people and have no idea how to explain myself. Thank you.

Um I logged onto this thread to read actual reviews - are there any more of those?

Good point! There isn't more of those, but people kind of carried on the general Coldplay discussion, like they do in every thread during these crazy days, my thread is ruined. haha :D

Hopefully there will be more reviews and less general discussion in here soon.

Good point! There isn't more of those, but people kind of carried on the general Coldplay discussion, like they do in every thread during these crazy days, my thread is ruined. haha :D

Hopefully there will be more reviews and less general discussion in here soon.

Sorry your thread kinda got ruined by some OT posts, including mine. Promise I'll try to be good and stay on-topic :P

on the topic of the lyrics: I think that for the most part, the lyrics will be piss poor on this album basing on both the Q magazine review and what we've heard already. Generally, bad lyrics don't bother me too much (bad Coldplay lyrics anyway) as if I can connect with the music, I usually fool myself into relating with the lyrics. Case in point would be X&Y. Some of the lyrics on that album are shocking but they are cryptic enough that you can make anything you want out of them. It seems we won't have that on AHFOD.

I also don't think Chris has lost the knack of writing lyrics, rather he discards the good ones as he believes they wont have the same "Pop" appeal. Just my 2 cents

on the topic of the lyrics: I think that for the most part, the lyrics will be piss poor on this album basing on both the Q magazine review and what we've heard already. Generally, bad lyrics don't bother me too much (bad Coldplay lyrics anyway) as if I can connect with the music, I usually fool myself into relating with the lyrics. Case in point would be X&Y. Some of the lyrics on that album are shocking but they are cryptic enough that you can make anything you want out of them. It seems we won't have that on AHFOD.

I also don't think Chris has lost the knack of writing lyrics, rather he discards the good ones as he believes they wont have the same "Pop" appeal. Just my 2 cents

I honestly just don't think he puts enough effort in. I imagine he expresses his usually-broad sentiment in the first simple way that comes to mind and fits the melody and calls it a job well done.

I really wish they would just hire a proof reader to simply read the lyrics, cross out the cliches, and hand it back to Chris to rewrite until we get a decent enough song. It would force Chris to express himself more creatively, and make listening to Coldplay a much more rewarding experience.

Chris is capable of good lyrics, even now. Moving to Mars, mentioned above, is a great example. Rather than just offer cliches about being forced apart, its presented through the metaphor of being taken to another planet. That's really cool and creative, and it's combined with great imagery and writing - particularly the very first line.

Maybe we'd see more stuff like that if Chris wasn't allowed to rest on hearts beating, birds flying, stars shining and general happy/sad emotions.

X&Y. Some of the lyrics on that album are shocking but they are cryptic enough that you can make anything you want out of them

I love it when Coldplay has cryptic lyrics. Makes it easy for you to relate (which is often part of the emotional experiencing of songs), and often they are very poetic too. AROBTTH and X&Y both use this kind of lyrics very well.

Guest howyousawtheworld
How is it moot? Much as all of us here (me included) would love if they could just concentrate as musicians and not be affected / influenced by their other roles in their lives, it is just not going to happen... If they care enough about their world to donate 10% to charities and be involved in causes like Global Citizen, don't you think they would try and make sure they fulfill their other roles as good parents first? My suspicion is if they had to choose between being in a band and being a good parent, they would go with parenting, not because they don't care about music anymore, far from it!

Thank goodness for everyone (us included) that they've managed themselves, their careers, lives, and relationships well enough that none of them have had to leave the band behind.... But with all the things that can go wrong / need lining up, it's a minor miracle they are still together and making music that rocks people's socks off and isn't tired or recycled... Now that's real commitment! When you listen to their music, consider how many other worries/priorities they've each had to put aside to reach that sound we are hearing... That's another reason it doesn't surprise me that they are now doing more uplifting music - no one could survive doing Oldplay music and live with those extra worries and responsibilities without having a mental breakdown.

Thinking about it and re reading your original point I actually think you're bang on. Apologies!

Quick Reply: I think MX is a masterpiece - one of their greats and a concept/story album to boot. I can listen to MX straight through all the time. I also love GS as well - Always in my Head is one of their best openers and the album overall is totally a night album - peaceful, reflective. I can't get into it more for now, but just want to give out my love for the previous 2 albums, and I love Viva too. X&Y was a bit all over the map but it has amazing songs as well.