✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

I know there are a lot of coldplay haters out there, I am most certainly not one of them. I was going to stay up and watch it live, but it got to 11.40pm gmt, and I thought sorry I am too tired. So I watched it first thing this morning, and I knew from the start it was going to be epic. I just had tears going down my face for the last three minutes, it was just so beautiful, I loved the way they paid tribute to Purple Rain, and Beautiful Day.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw Im starting to see why Coldplay are deemed boring by some (especially lovers of mainstream chart topping music like Beyonce).

It becomes quite evident to me from the show. If you´re used to bombastic drums, lots of dancing and short "one-liners" lyrics, you certainly don't have the attention span to actually listen to a more complex melody or actually appreciate a lyrical message. To me its just a matter of what they are used to. This is the generation of the short attention span of social media, their brain would implode if they had to sit through say a listening of The Beatles Abbey Road or God forbid a concept album *LOOL* I conclude people nowadays are not "trained" to actually absorb complex melodic/music/lyrical structure anymore. They re just used to short instant pangs.

When are you overstimulated like this, no wonder Coldplay sounds boring...

Point made so...Let's change this.

I want this upcoming generation to respect and be able to enjoy bands music like Coldplay and Radiohead, so let's show this group of social media lovers the true side to music!

Oh well I can

Dream:P

#NoCharts

And surprise, surprise, seconds after the Halftime show she announced an European tour.

Yes she clearly timed it all well with promotion of her album/tour, which is ok I guess. Its still left quite unexplained why Chris clearly stated that he would not play their latest sing because it would not be right....yet Beyonce did. Something there is not making sense yet to me.

The show was like they were trying to please everyone. It felt kinda unfocused. Loved the last part, of course.

Your comment got me thinking and I think I agree with you! But more than trying to please everyone I think they were trying to follow their own "idea" that all music can be easily mashed together and its all wonderful. haha Everyone should of course be free to include any element from any genre in any song, but its also clear to me that there is a point where songs will naturally diverge because of their genre and thats ok too! Its not "music discrimination" hehe

As you rightly noted if you try to cram everything together it will indeed lose focus and be "watered down". I agree

• Like 1

Point made so...Let's change this.

I want this upcoming generation to respect and be able to enjoy bands music like Coldplay and Radiohead, so let's show this group of social media lovers the true side to music!

Oh well I can

Dream:P

#NoCharts

Thats a noble intention and I wanna join! But I think it will take a looooot more than just "showing them the true side of music" haha Its unfortunately a malady of our modern world, where everything is fast and consumerism. No wonder so many suffer from ADD...we get so many inputs all the time its crazy! The media of course reinforces this, so its all connected. I agree we need to change our brain or else future generations will truly be completely unable to appreciate anything beyond the super simple, basic and fast!

• Like 1

While coldplaying.com has been under ddos-attack (the same shit when album has been leaked), I think it somehow connects with quite subpar performance on SB.

First of all what's the hell with Chris voice? It's completely out of tune, hard breath, jeez, why this chap Mars and Beyonce sounds clearly and loud? Perhaps phonogram? But they stole the show.

Secondly why songs was cutted just like preview in itunes? Without transitions, just one accords from one part of the song then another part of the song, awful. It would be better just stick to three full songs - and all crowd would sing along the boys.

Third, Coldplay doesn't belong to this kind of show. Bruno Mars and Beyonce - yes, they fit perfectly, but not Chris Martin. Coldplay doesn't need this couple sloppy minutes of ads, they are bigger then this. At least they could do it alone.

I hope tour gigs would be miles better, especially in terms of sound.

PS Remember Chris closed one of the Apple presentation when S. Jobs was still there - just three songs and it was completely amazing, with mistakes (I guess jet lag) but still, it was incredible.

• Like 5

Yes she clearly timed it all well with promotion of her album/tour, which is ok I guess. Its still left quite unexplained why Chris clearly stated that he would not play their latest sing because it would not be right....yet Beyonce did. Something there is not making sense yet to me.

I've read in an article today that the SB Halftimeshow artists are not paid for their performance. Only expenses and production costs are covered.

So, the (only) reason they are doing it is to promote upcoming tours or music.

And the reason why HFTW was not played, well I can only guess that Beyoncé wanted to promote her new single and playing HFTW together would make 2 songs. Now it was equally divided with Bruno Mars & Beyonce.

Guess what's got more views than that? The video of the whole performance on our Facebook page. Has 1.4 million views and we've reached over 7 million people with the post! My jaw is still wide open haha!

Nice HD pics :D

The performance was great from the guys. I would prefer full songs and no Beyonce + Bruno but hey, was an awesome 5-6 mins :) There will be loads of media sites who don't like Coldplay or ignore their presence (Buzzfeed & BBC to name a few) but hey, it doesn't matter really, it's always been that way. Means they're doing something right :P A bit like Glasto 2012 when Coldplay smashed it but media reported on Beyonce instead, who many fans at Glasto said was underwhelming.

• Like 2

For posting a video using the 'media' option, all you have to do is post the Instagram / Facebook (or other) link in the box and it will pull the ID from it. That's all you need to embed the video :)

There wasn't an ddos-attack, it was a mixture of a database issue we've been having this week and largely the huge amount of traffic. A lot of it is to do with our Facebook video reaching millions! Added a forum link at the end of the vid and we've had at least 20,000 clicks from that :o Everything is starting to settle down now and Stephen's been working to fix the database issues.

• Like 3

I would say the audio problems are a result of not having the wonderful Dan Green at the controls. I got to say hi to Miller though just before the halftime show and he was walking out to the staging area with his camera. I couldn't quite tell if he wasn't thrilled being there or just focusing on getting where he needed to go. But he perked right up and seemed surprised someone knew who he was. Certainly made my day.

I'm super happy for the fellas. I was telling my friends that Coldplay aren't really exhibitionists. The last 5 years I think, the halftime show has been all flash and pop with Artist that sing and dance and excel at running a choreographed/scripted show. Coldplay is far more spontaneous and the only real script is the setlist. They don't have dozens of backup dancers and specific moves. They're musicians and they play their instruments not their bodies. But all in all, they were still themselves and that's all I care about.

Thanks for all the hardwork Sparky and Stephen! I was disappointed that I couldn't keep talking to you guys through the day while I was there, but it was all great anyways. AHFOD tour here we come!

• Like 5

Coldplay and Yola kids!!!!

they w-e-r-e great!

overall message is just amazing: love/we are all One...so needed for the world itself...

and HAVING YOLA KIDS there for my little heart is more, more than enough!

i am speechless... R.E.S.P.E.C.T. COLDPLAY!

those kids!

Dear Coldplay you are my heroes! THANK YOU!

Dear Coldplayers you are such an amazing, FANTASTIC tribe !

I'm really happy to be part of this Universe :D <3

• Like 2

I've read in an article today that the SB Halftimeshow artists are not paid for their performance. Only expenses and production costs are covered.

So, the (only) reason they are doing it is to promote upcoming tours or music.

30 second SB ad costs $5 million, show continued for 13 minutes, that's roughly $130 millions - probably the whole Coldplay tour profit. Fair enough, I guess.

• Like 1

finally managed to get on the site!

I got to admit.. wasn't a fan of yellow at the at the start.. i think they could have started it alot better.

It seemed like Chris was a little out of breath during viva/paradise, but i liked how they went from one song to the next... for viva you could see Will was singing his heart out.

With bruno and beyonce.. i think they gave them a bit too much time.. but i like what they did.

The best bit came when Chris got involved with them two. Everything flowed sooo well. clocks going into fix you.. singing bringing Beautiful day, purple rain, independent women and just the way you are... flowed so well from that to up and up!

over all, with a mashup and medley of tracks, i done think they could have done it any better, apart from yellow at the start.

I've been looking forward to this performance for a long time, and have to say while I didn't love it as much on first view it has definitely grown on me. Regardless, I do think they could've done better since I've seen superior live performances by the band -- it wasn't the best as expected. The set list could've been better as well: the version of Paradise they played was not stellar, and I think ASFOS would've fit much better in that slot.

The band did seem to have a great time and even if the performance wasn't all I expected it to be, the Yellow opening was still a good nod to long-time fans. It flowed just decently -- it was clear if the band had an half-hour they could've put on a better show since the abbreviated songs didn't fit as well as I'd hope.

Not to be too negative since I'm still glad Coldplay got to highlight a milestone half-time show but I've seen the band do better.

For me it was awkward than I expected. The rush through the songs trying to blend the hits together was poorly executed. I would prefer if they played only AOL w/Yellow intro and them Up&Up later. Fix You meshed with Up&Up was bad too and rushed to fit the time slot. Positive points: Yellow intro and camera work was EPIC. Awesome stage and special effects. If that was a tease for the upcoming tour we should expect for bigger things than the MX tour. They felt really happy to be performing at Super Bowl.

finally I could sign in the forums. I have a lot to read to get involed with what you were sharing.

my thoughts about the halftime show.

I love it, and I'm not talking about the guest and I won't mention them. The message Coldplay wanted to share was clearly seen. We knew the band would get a lot of bad reviews and nasty comments, so I don't care at all about what has been said around the internet.

If I have to choose one favorite moment I would say it was the four members watching each other enjoying the show. Guy and Jonny were moving around the stage more than ever. I couldn't see Will at all because he has to be at the back rocking the drums but the backing vocals were perfect! And Chris was amazing, he invited us to sing Viva La Vida across the world!

Another moment I loved was the final medley: clocks, Fix You, Up&Up including the lyrics of Beautiful Day. The audience was involved I'm glad they participated (and I hope they kept the LoVe buttons)

It will be remembered the final phrase forever! That's what I'll say for the rest of my life:

BELIEVE IN LOVE

• Like 5

And the reason why HFTW was not played, well I can only guess that Beyoncé wanted to promote her new single and playing HFTW together would make 2 songs. Now it was equally divided with Bruno Mars & Beyonce.

Make very little sense to me :) First because if anyone has the "first pick" at promoting a single clearly it would be the headliners. And also because Chris clearly stated they would not play it because it "would not be right". So clearly they had the impression that it would be wrong apparently to use this occasion to promote something. But then Beyonce does it, so its very odd. And they very easily could have promoted both Hymn and her new song. One doesn't exclude the other: people can go and download both :)

It remains a mystery to me....

A bit like Glasto 2012 when Coldplay smashed it but media reported on Beyonce instead, who many fans at Glasto said was underwhelming.

Oh they surely would say that! haha The crowd at Glastonbury is diametrically opposite to the crowd at the Super Bowl. Glastonbury has been traditionally associated with "non-pop" music for years, so even having the likes of Jay-Z guesting in the beginning was met with a lot of criticism.