✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-02-07] Coldplay headlining Super Bowl 2016 - Confirmed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the forum is up again....

Oh my, I felt so sorry for Coldplay yesterday evening and I still am. They can do way, way, WAY better shows than this one ! This show was underwhelming for a number of reasons, not all of which are their fault (Beyonce shamefully exploiting it for her own promo; and who the hell mixed this sound ??? At least here on CBS in the US I could hardly hear Chris's vocals, just the surrounding noise. Chris's vocals however were off and he was out of breath at several points, and the beautiful Coldplay melodies could not shine because they were shortened and mashed-up beyond recognition - the Clocks riff was so hidden, for example !)

To be honest, and it pains me to say that, but in these few minutes Coldplay has actually shown themselves to be exactly what the haters always said they were. It's a shame because we all know they aren't and they can do better. (On the other hand, I'm also proud of them because in the end they did not cave in to the commercial extravagant show madness in the style of Katy Perry etc. and just stayed true to themselves and the "Glastonbury spirit". Loved the moving flowers !)

I'll post a more detailed comment later.

• Like 5

Enjoyed the performance so much! Saw it several times already! I think they could have had more time, but the time they had they used it wonderfully!

I loved the change from one song to the other, the incredible colours, the fireworks, the cards in the stadium, the lit-up stage, Chris involving everyone, the young orchestra...I really liked so many things about it! It was also emotional imo in several points: during the video showing past artists (the lovely touch of showing Whitney & MJ just as Chris was singing "losing something you cant replace".

So many good moments and they did very very well!

Bruno and Beyonce were underwhelming for me as I expected, although all in all it was not the worst. I did enjoy Bruno´s song more than Beyonce, mostly because there is no melody in Beyonce song...I waited patiently as those 2 were shaking their boots to some drums and looking defiantly at each other LOL and finally it all ended with the beautiful Up&Up, which , as we anticipated, really is wonderfully suited for a finale sing along!

Overall though I still think Coldplay should have performed alone. Their style and music , the way they are, even the colourful props they use stand in an enormous sharp contrast to the likes of Beyonce and Bruno Mars and this contrast was painfully obvious yesterday, as much as they tried to make a successful blend, it did not work imo. It only worked briefly when they all sang Up&Up.

I was also on Twitter shortly after and many people were positively commenting on Coldplay. There were always some who stil said "boring, but I also noticed more than one who said "Coldplay were actually good!". The proof is also how popular they suddenly became on the charts and iTunes :) So there was also a positive effect from the performance! :)

• Like 2

On a positive note: I liked the first minutes, they were very fun.

Those flower umbrellas looked so pretty :wacky: and it had a very nice message which I feel the world really needs right now :heart:

Yes the first part where Coldplay were doing their thing for a few songs was my favorite as well. It was all working quite nicely imo, they were building a good positive vibe connected with their message and the story they were telling. But thats why when Bruno came on looking gangster like saying "uptown funk gonna give it to you girls" LOL, it was just waaaaaay too contrasting imo with what had been building up before.

Lets just say I understand if some people like that kind of music where its 80% percussions, dancing and fast and both Beyonce and Bruno fit this description. Coldplay certainly don't, thats why together they don't really function well at all imo, though they did give it a try and thats ok.

I truly loved it and I'm still smiling. For me, Beyoncé and Bruno didn't steal the show. Despite being worried upfront because of Bey playing her new single, what I saw in the end was a collaborative effort that Coldplay held together beautifully. They orchestrated the overall message and every artist contributed to that in their own way.

It was not only a celebration of past, present and future coming together, but also of different styles of music, different heritages, different colors, different inspirations (so very nice with the montage - Chris cited U2, Beyonce was citing Michael Jackson's outfit, Bruno his dancing), left and right joining in the middle. All of them celebrating the moment of togetherness in the end: We're gonna get it together.

The show was about collaborating, inviting, empowering, sharing, and giving. I think it speaks volumes about who they are as a band that they agreed to do it this way. It's why some people might see them as soft, too nice and in the end forgettable, but it's a big part of why they are my favourite band.

I thought they did a wonderful job with this opportunity and gave it meaning. I'm very proud. :)

• Like 6

Agree with I ran away. It was underwhelming. But like said before, the fact that coldplay were true to who they inherently are and creating a show showing just that was wonderful.

There have been a lot of unsavory comments about coldplay selling out, etc in the recent years. But if this showed anything, that was how coldplay are still who we fell in love with. They still are the awkward, sensitive guys. The only difference being that they are now willing and confident enough to take risks they didn't before. Love and appreciate how much they put the event and the message they could send in such a platform before maximizing commercial profit and showcasing.

A lot of people missed the point of the show and they finally became a meme, just like Chris said. (It was pretty obvious coldplay never wanted to be the super star in this gig.) But I'm proud to be a fan because this showed they still are the same band I fell in love with.

Anyway, I too feel badly for them. That was far from their capabilities. But they did get an insane amount of exposure, be it good or bad.

• Like 3

Guest diogo_sg

Beautiful show. I was shivering all over while watching. The ending with Up&Up and the crowd holding the cards, creating a message as profound as Believe In Love, was just magical. Loved the umbrella dancers and the aesthetics of the show. The only two letdowns were: too much Beyoncé and Bruno Mars and not enough YOLA and Coldplay (even though it was pretty well ballanced). But, putting that aside, it was a lovely - and definitely memorable -show. If this was the story they wanted to tell, they managed to do it in a great, unique way only Coldplay have the ability to operate. You could feel the warmth, the togetherness, the union during the show. Magnificent.

PS: glad the site is back up. The app isn't, though :/

I loved it so much! Coldplay did a really good job and even though beyonce and bruno didn't really fit in with their parts, at the end it was really beautiful how they all sang together during up & up. This part made me cry because it was so perfect :smug2::bigcry: and - unlike many previous performers - they had a real message! This show showed what a awesome and nice band they are and that's why I love them so much!

• Like 4

what I saw in the end was a collaborative effort that Coldplay held together beautifully. They orchestrated the overall message and every artist contributed to that in their own way.

The best part was indeed when Beyonce and Bruno joined in for Up&Up. Thats also the only time imo that it worked, because it continued the narrative Coldplay started in the beginning. When Coldplay played a few songs and then suddenly Bruno came followed by Beyonce I must say my mood/vibe changed dramatically! It had such a jarring effect like if you were watching say a drama movie and suddenly I switch to a light comedy! LOL It was too jarring for me , thats why I still feel it did not work.

Thats not to say Beyonce or Bruno were bad, on the contrary. I think they did a great show, but its like saying I love chocolate and I also love lamb, but if I was eating lamb and suddenly you gave me chocolate and then I go straight back to lamb again, lets say its not a meal I would enjoy *LOOOL* Separate they are good, together not so much.

They did all 3 the best they could though ! This incidentally also got me to see first hand just how different Coldplay are from mainstream pop music! Its two totally different worlds, even though Chris would like to think its not LOL I think you can appreciate both without necessarily having to merge them.

• Like 1

Beautiful show. I was shivering all over while watching.

I also instantly felt quite moved as soon as they started playing! They certainly managed to put up an incredibly good atmosphere and yes the young orchestra was lovely as well with their colourful instruments! Neither Bruno or Beyonce gave me shivers or any emotion...it was mostly just entertaining dancing/performing, but thankfully it picked up quite nicely again with Clocks and the beautiful finale :)

• Like 1

Btw Im starting to see why Coldplay are deemed boring by some (especially lovers of mainstream chart topping music like Beyonce).

It becomes quite evident to me from the show. If you´re used to bombastic drums, lots of dancing and short "one-liners" lyrics, you certainly don't have the attention span to actually listen to a more complex melody or actually appreciate a lyrical message. To me its just a matter of what they are used to. This is the generation of the short attention span of social media, their brain would implode if they had to sit through say a listening of The Beatles Abbey Road or God forbid a concept album *LOOL* I conclude people nowadays are not "trained" to actually absorb complex melodic/music/lyrical structure anymore. They re just used to short instant pangs.

When are you overstimulated like this, no wonder Coldplay sounds boring...

• Like 2

I hate to say it, but I also thought it was surprisingly underwhelming. It should have been Coldplay ONLY, because I thought Beyoncé and Bruno stole the show.

The good news it that the tour is coming up and we all know it will be light years better than this halftime show. Also pleased to see the "Super Bowl Effect" on the charts.

• Like 2

I still think the true capabilities and beauty of Coldplay totally went under in the muddle of their own truncated mashups and the Beyonce/BM "music". This show did not transport the energy of their tour shows. I have the feeling all the haters see themselves confirmed now, which is truly annoying.

• Like 2

I still think the true capabilities and beauty of Coldplay totally went under in the muddle of their own truncated mashups and the Beyonce/BM "music". This show did not transport the energy of their tour shows. I have the feeling all the haters see themselves confirmed now, which is truly annoying.

From what I saw on twitter and the interest mirrored on the charts there are quite a few people who changed their mind about Coldplay so it certainly had some positive effect :)

The mashups were done well imo. Mashups themselves are never ideal, but necessary during the halftime show. Also their normal live shows are not in daytime, so it certainly gives a total different atmosphere with the dark , xylobands, etc. They did well to colour it up with the flowers, the parades, fireworks and the cards on the stadium. It was really all that could be done during a daytime show!

The show (with Coldplay) was amazing! Especially Up&Up at the end!! So beautiful! I'm wearing my love button today to celebrate! The fireworks, props, cards, etc really added to the show!

Like @I ran away, I too could barely hear Chris. But, as we knew it would happen, B & B stole the show....I mean there was a noticeable difference in crowd noise when they started singing. I do kinda feel bad for Coldplay because it seemed like they were just an opening act to the whole thing.

But, all that aside, Coldplay did an excellent job representing their whole career, and some of the transitions from song to song were really great!

• Like 1

If I could choose one picture to sum up the show aside from the believe in love one, it would have to be this

I truly appreciate the sentiment of that photo and the message it tries to convey, but Chris doesn't fit in there at all *LOL*

This was also commented by others in social media...I must give them right on this.

I was very disappointed. Not in Coldplay's performance but the fact that they were playing second fiddle to their own show. Bruno Mars and Beyonce stole the show and while they were doing their little dance off you could see poor Chris standing there in the back.

Why force out four songs in five minutes? Their entire segment felt rushed, however it did get better after the montage but still, I was extremely disappointed. Not enough Coldplay, even though they were supposed to be headlining.

• Like 4

I really liked the Coldplay part, but I also saw what I feared that would happen: Beyoncé taking over the show and getting away with all the attention.

And surprise, surprise, seconds after the Halftime show she announced an European tour.

This quote sums it up for me:

"Take heart, Chris Martin: You did what you could. But if you're going to invite Beyoncé onto your stage, you'd better be prepared for her to make it her own"

(http://www.vox.com/2016/2/7/10934576/beyonce-super-bowl-halftime-2016-coldplay)

• Like 1