✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which Coldplay Album Would You Consider the Band's Masterpiece?

MICHAELSD

After some consideration, it seems that out of Coldplay's discography 'Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends' is the band's best work. Its style is focused, its themes are precise, its pacing is concise, its melodies are meticulous, and the album as a whole has a story it strives to tell. Not to mention the fact that it launched the band's largest hit in "Viva La Vida," a pop-antithetical song with universal appeal. Its also the band's metaphorically-loudest album, not in sound but in message and vibe. It is a very well put-together piece, and as it stands the most unique out of the discography in a way that it almost doesn't fit yet it also fits perfectly as Coldplay rocking at their most earnest.

After some consideration, it seems that out of Coldplay's discography 'Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends' is the band's best work. Its style is focused, its themes are precise, its pacing is concise, its melodies are meticulous, and the album as a whole has a story it strives to tell. Not to mention the fact that it launched the band's largest hit in "Viva La Vida," a pop-antithetical song with universal appeal. Its also the band's metaphorically-loudest album, not in sound but in message and vibe. It is a very well put-together piece, and as it stands the most unique out of the discography in a way that it almost doesn't fit yet it also fits perfectly as Coldplay rocking at their most earnest.

That's exactly my opinion! :)

The whole Viva era was just amazing. From the lyrics, to the concept, to the costumes to the artwork, I feel like they were trying to take us to another world. It was extremely well-planned out and executed. I miss that era so much </3

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Being from the future I can tell you that their comeback album from 2019 goes down in history not only as their true masterpiece but one of the most loved albums of all time. Five singles in the top 10 three of which hit number 1. Album, Record, and Song of the Year awards across the board. It outsold Adele's 31 three copies to one! Their free outdoor concert to celebrate the end of World War III draws almost one million people and becomes one of the most unifying and culturally significant moments of the new century. Plus Jonny finally gets to play jazz!

Being from the present I'm going to lean Viva...

• Like 1

I think that their masterpiece is A Head Full Of Dreams. So nuanced, so deep, so rocky. Take Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot for example - in hundred years to come people will remember them as being masterpieces, defining songs of the century.

• Like 4

I think that their masterpiece is A Head Full Of Dreams. So nuanced, so deep, so rocky. Take Hymn For The Weekend and X Marks The Spot for example - in hundred years to come people will remember them as being masterpieces, defining songs of the century.

Considering the majority of the forum's first impressions of HFTW and XMTS, I would almost venture to call this post sarcastic :) but I do think HFTW could go down as one of my favorite Coldplay songs.

Wow...tough question. Now if only they had written 7 albums in the same genre, kinda like..I dont know...Bryan Adams? LOL

Kinda hard to evaluate them against one another when they are all so different! So I´ll say this:

*Parachutes is a masterpiece of intimate music. I still remember my very first Coldplay song I ever heard, Spies and how it gave me shivers and still does.

*They never sounded so rock-y and powerful as they did on Rush. Politik in itself is a masterpiece.

*X&Y was bloated we all agree on that, but hard to think of better crafted classic pop/rock at the time.

*Viva was the first experimental album for Coldplay imo. And they pulled off a masterpiece like Viva mostly based on strings and large bells....I mean what a feat! haha Also this is where their live shows began being truly "something else".

*MX has both the exquisite intimacy of Uatw and the R&B beat-heavy PoC. This then must be their masterpiece of experimentation :) Also an album featuring tied-in comics automatically qualifies as a masterpiece for me (I am a huge comic book fan LOL)

*GS was a parenthesis for Coldplay but it yielded such haunting tracks like Another Arms and Always in My head. Also isn't O piano melody just sublime?

*Ahfod: featuring "Jonny on fire blowing your head away with multiple solos at lightning speed". Need I say more...