✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which Coldplay Album Would You Consider the Band's Masterpiece?

MICHAELSD

Lol obviously AROBTTH. Viva is second though no doubt.

AROBTTH will always be considered their greatest ever album by the general public IMO. It's always the highest Coldplay album in the 'greatest ever albums' list. They even put the album cover on stamps here in the UK. The album is iconic. Viva is more that one song, the title track.

Just listen to the artistry on the album, the sound. It's just immense. I want this Coldplay back ffs.

I believe that AROBTTH is not only Coldplay's masterpiece, but one of the greatest musical pleasures of all time. The flow of the album goes perfectly, but the atmosphere it creates is just extrodinary. Sure there's the epic singles like The Scientist and In My Place, but the rest of the album shines too. Politik is the angriness and gritty opener. The legendary closer Amsterdam may have well been a single, as it is easily more advanced and tearjerking imo. None of these songs should be removed. Like X&Y and OK Computer (my two other favourite albums), every song plays a part.

It's gotta be Viva for me too. That's where the guys mixed their talent with innovation the right way. Up till then they were already an amazing band, writing great music, but I feel like they were't as unique yet. When Viva struck, they had a sound and style of their own. Their creativity went off the roof in my opinion. Ever since, I feel as though their curiosity to explore music shrunk towards including more and more pop (almost exclusively). Not bad just one directional :)P).. I can see a curve drawn up in terms of musical exploration towards Viva, and then back down after Viva. It's also when the band surprised everyone the most, sonically and musically the sound was mature, fresh, innovative, and varied..

If you're just talking about the album it's AROBTTH.

The Viva Era though was THE grand celebration in almost every way. Incredible (2nd to AROBTTH in this discussion imo) album that felt new and music and themes that felt unexplored by other musicians. Live performances and publicity was above and beyond anything before it and really just put them on another level.

I believe that AROBTTH is not only Coldplay's masterpiece, but one of the greatest musical pleasures of all time. The flow of the album goes perfectly, but the atmosphere it creates is just extrodinary. Sure there's the epic singles like The Scientist and In My Place, but the rest of the album shines too. Politik is the angriness and gritty opener. The legendary closer Amsterdam may have well been a single, as it is easily more advanced and tearjerking imo. None of these songs should be removed. Like X&Y and OK Computer (my two other favourite albums), every song plays a part.

It is live but I have always thought the start of the studio version lacks a bit of 'oomph'.

• Like 1

Viva La Vida Or Death and All His Friends will go down, I'm sure, as either the best or one of the best albums Coldplay ever made. A Rush Of Blood to the Head to me comes a close second, simply because it's also very coherent and has excellent lyrics.

I agree with everyone who said that everything about Viva was perfect - the choreography, the web design, the timeline leading to the release, the concerts themselves were longer, the tour was a heck of a lot longer than anything else before or later - first time we saw the c stage happen, and experimenting with different styles and different people. Also the Prospekt diaries, how great was that, or Roadie 42# blogs!

It opened Coldplay up to new possibilities and they'd never have written the three albums after that if it had not been for Viva like it was.

To me it's just astonishing how much material was recorded and used, even for other artists like Natalie Imbruglia. Even Famous Old Painters sounds great, the instrumental of course. And Prospekt's March was a well done EP of all those songs that weren't recorded for Viva in time.

I don't know, maybe I'm a bit tired of Chris' lyrics nowadays, although I feel they own the new album still (Everglow, Amazing Day, Up & Up).

But the creativity from that era is unparalled.

• Like 2

Guest howyousawtheworld

I find this very difficult.

On a songwriting level it has to be AROBTTH. However on a creative level VLV stands above the rest and it packs more into it in just 45 minutes than any other album of theirs. They are inseparable but if I had to choose one at the moment it would be AROBTTH by a smidgen...largely thanks to the astounding b sides. The fact you can get away with leaving genuinely amazing songs like Crest of Waves, One I Love and I Ran Away off the record just goes to show what a great record it is.

I find this very difficult.

On a songwriting level it has to be AROBTTH. However on a creative level VLV stands above the rest and it packs more into it in just 45 minutes than any other album of theirs. They are inseparable but if I had to choose one at the moment it would be AROBTTH by a smidgen...largely thanks to the astounding b sides. The fact you can get away with leaving genuinely amazing songs like Crest of Waves, One I Love and I Ran Away off the record just goes to show what a great record it is.

No Parachutes is lyrics wise, just because the amount of good lyrics on the album. The only songs on Para that have alright lyrics are High Speed and Yellow, and Yellow still has powerful lyrics. AROBTTH on the other hand while still having great lyrics, only contains great lyrics on Politik, The Scientist, (maybe Clocks and Daylight), Warning Sign, AROBTTH and Amsterdam. That's 8 (or 9) vs. 5 (or 7)

Guest howyousawtheworld
No Parachutes is lyrics wise, just because the amount of good lyrics on the album. The only songs on Para that have alright lyrics are High Speed and Yellow, and Yellow still has powerful lyrics. AROBTTH on the other hand while still having great lyrics, only contains great lyrics on Politik, The Scientist, (maybe Clocks and Daylight), Warning Sign, AROBTTH and Amsterdam. That's 8 (or 9) vs. 5 (or 7)

I'm talking overall songwriting, not just lyrics. So for me the melodies are stronger musically and vocally, as are the song structures. On a lyrical front I wouldn't say Parachutes is anything brilliant although it is consistently good. I actually think AROBTTH is a stronger album on almost all fronts compared to Parachutes including the lyrics.

I'm talking overall songwriting, not just lyrics. So for me the melodies are stronger musically and vocally, as are the song structures. On a lyrical front I wouldn't say Parachutes is anything brilliant although it is consistently good. I actually think AROBTTH is a stronger album on almost all fronts compared to Parachutes including the lyrics.

Yes I agree AROBTTH is stornger melody wise and just musically. While Parachutes is consistent, AROBTTH delivers stronger songs.

It has to be Viva La Vida for me. A lot of critics weren't ready for Coldplay to try to be artsy with a pop-record, but they totally went there and nailed it. My reasoning is this:

Every single track stands out as completely unique and fantastic in Coldplay's discography. After their previous 3 albums which had similar alt-rock sounds, Viva just showed that Coldplay could be really diverse and inspired by different genres.

The album flows wonderfully, addresses grandoise themes of love, life, and death. It has massive choruses and weird subdued moments of experimentation. It it textured, layered, swimming in really cool atmosphere. The guitars are sharp, the melodies sometimes off-kilter. It is an experimental/art pop album with solid alternative rock and radio-ready catchiness.

Quite frankly this era was everything I wanted from Coldplay and this album just takes the gold for me. I hope that in 3 years folks will look back and admit that VLVODAAHF is one of the best pop records of the 2000's.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...