✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Head Full of Dreams Music Video

AMDB9

I don't see the irony there to be honest. It's not like Chris and the boys are doing acrobatics in a bikini. It's very nuanced and has a subtle humour to it, which I think is the whole concept of the video.

Let's just wait until we see the video... I'll reserve the full wrath of my judgement til then, athough I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be proved right.

Okay, thats great that youre not offended. I mean, I don't like that video myself (the song is fine), but I dont plan on ever watching it again anyways, so its whatever....

But i'm still having a hard time grasping what the issue is with BMX bikes. Is it with how the band should 'act their age' and ride Vespas instead or something?

I agree we should always wait for the final product first, but if anyone's expecting this to be some sort of Spielberg production, perhaps Coldplay is the wrong band to follow if you want great MVs on a consistent basis. At this point, I just hope they don't embarrass themselves (see AOAL, True Love, etc) and I dont think they'll be doing that by riding around on a BMX bikes.

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, thats great that youre not offended. I mean, I don't like that video myself (the song is fine), but I dont plan on ever watching it again anyways, so its whatever....

But i'm still having a hard time grasping what the issue is with BMX bikes. Is it the how the band should 'act their age' and ride Vespas instead or something?

I agree we should always wait for the final product first, but if anyone's expecting this to be some sort of Spielberg production, perhaps Coldplay is the wrong band to follow if you want great MVs on a consistent basis. At this point, I just hope they don't embarrass themselves (see AOAL, True Love, etc) and I dont think they'll be doing that by riding around on a BMX bikes.

It's not the BMX bikes per se, it's the principle. I don't think you can sit there and maintain the position that the newer material is not aimed at the teenager market (All you have to do is look at the mans shoes) or at the very least, an extremely mainstream audience. Whereas the first three eras were aimed at a different demographic. I pertain to that previous demographic that has been all but forgotten about.

It's the dumbing down of the Coldplay name/reputation into something vapid and childlike which annoys me most. I don't think even you believe the music has the same emotional depth or consistency of character that the earlier work had. It's the continuing erosion and self sabotage of Coldplay's artistry that I lament more than anything else.

I think the riding around of BMX bikes will firmly put the Up&Up video into that embarassing category you mention to join the ranks of True Love, AOAL etc.

• Like 2

I think it's funny we have a whole group of people who are willing to tear apart something they've never heard nor seen before

Let's just wait until we see the video... I'll reserve the full wrath of my judgement 'til then

I also find it baffling how someone can praise something without seeing it. I'm not tearing the video apart which is probably not even produced yet. Just the concept, which I have seen.

Anyway, Coldplay have a track record of scrapping music videos so we'll hold our breath until something concrete comes out.

It's not the BMX bikes per se, it's the principle. I don't think you can sit there and maintain the position that the newer material is not aimed at the teenager market (All you have to do is look at the mans shoes) or at the very least, an extremely mainstream audience. Whereas the first three eras were aimed at a different demographic. I pertain to that previous demographic that has been all but forgotten about.

It's the dumbing down of the Coldplay name/reputation into something vapid and childlike which annoys me most. I don't think even you believe the music has the same emotional depth or consistency of character that the earlier work had. It's the continuing erosion and self sabotageof Coldplay's artistry that I lament more than anything.

I think the riding around of BMX bikes will firmly put the Up&Up video into that embarassing category you mention to join the ranks of True Love, AOAL etc.

I've heard you talk about this before, and its what I assumed you meant when you brought up the BMX bikes. But I didn't want to put words in your mouth.

Y'know, I had a moment the other day when I was listening to Politik after not having heard it in a while. I used to listen to it on repeat for hours. But after years of doing this, I had to stop, as the effect slowly wore off, like most other drugs. This particular evening though, I put my cans on and turned it to 11. And you know what, I got that same feeling again, just like the first time, and it brought me to near tears like it did maybe a decade ago. And I thought, maybe I am an oldplayer myself afterall. It's without a doubt in my mind the pinnacle of what Coldplay have ever put out.

I tell that story so I can tell you this one next. The day AOAL came out, I was due for work. However, the song was being played on radio somewhere in Europe for the first time, so I think 3:00 am local time for me. But I woke up at 2:00 am and waiting for the song to come on, recorded it on my computer, put it in my usb stick so I could listen to it in my car on my commute to work and back. I started off the playlist with AOAL. When it ended, I pressed back to hear it again. And again. And again. When I got to work, I had to wait for the song to finish before I got out the car an hour later. When I left work, I did the same thing on the way back.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Coldplay are so good because they can produce the achey-breaky song and it will touch you the same way the crazy-dance-party song can as well. Of course this is all my opinion. But I know oldplayers long for the return of the achey-breaky stuff. Sometimes I do too, like I did when I heard Politik again. But to take it out on the crowd that likes the dance songs is unfair to them, and unfair to the band. They've given 4+ years worth of those songs to us already. Now, they're giving the other side what they want, and I don't see an problem with that, even if I do secretly want AROBTTH II. Even if I prefer the earlier works, I see the value in the new stuff as well. Look, if you're waiting for Coldplay to score another Politik, you may be in for a long wait. Not because the band are worse (imo), but just because Politik is such a hard song to follow up. We can't keep comparing the best of the past to the worst of today. You're always gonna be disappointed this way.

• Like 3

The day AOAL came out, I was due for work. However, the song was being played on radio somewhere in Europe for the first time, so I think 3:00 am local time for me. But I woke up at 2:00 am and waiting for the song to come on, recorded it on my computer, put it in my usb stick so I could listen to it in my car on my commute to work and back. I started off the playlist with AOAL. When it ended, I pressed back to hear it again. And again. And again. When I got to work, I had to wait for the song to finish before I got out the car an hour later. When I left work, I did the same thing on the way back.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Coldplay are so good because they can produce the achey-breaky song and it will touch you the same way the crazy-dance-party song can as well. Of course this is all my opinion. But I know oldplayers long for the return of the achey-breaky stuff. Sometimes I do too, like I did when I heard Politik again. But to take it out on the crowd that likes the dance songs is unfair to them, and unfair to the band. They've given 4+ years worth of those songs to us already. Now, they're giving the other side what they want, and I don't see an problem with that, even if I do secretly want AROBTTH II

I understand that, but if you don't like the dancey stuff it puts you at a loss. I have no problem conceding that a lot of Oldplayer feelings come from bitterness, but that's understandable. It was the NME readers who built them up, followed them, bought their albums. Essentially made them who they are and acted as apologists for them when they were worthy of defending. Betrayal is too strong a word but certainly there is a sense that Coldplay have taken the soup.

It's just disappointing to see this genius group who produced albums like AROBTTH to devolve into what they are today. Everything is so incredibly safe with them nowadays. They've seem to completely lost the identity they once had and replaced it with this psuedo-boyband image. You can imagine what that looks like to the fans of the earlier work who haven't completely renounced and abandoned them. The music is so different now, I can understand them doing the pop thing for one album but it has gone on far too long.

• Like 3

I understand that, but if you don't like the dancey stuff it puts you at a loss. I have no problem conceding that a lot of Oldplayer feelings come from bitterness, but that's understandable. It was the NME readers who built them up, followed them, bought their albums. Essentially made them who they are and acted as apologists for them when they were worthy of defending. Betrayal is too strong a word but certainly there is a sense that Coldplay have taken the soup.

It's just disappointing to see this genius group who produced albums like AROBTTH to devolve into what they are today. Everything is so incredibly safe with them nowadays. They've seem to completely lost the identity they once had and replaced it with this psuedo-boyband image. You can imagine what that looks like to the fans of the earlier work who haven't completely renounced and abandoned them. The music is so different now, I can understand them doing the pop thing for one album but it has gone on far too long.

I guess I just got lucky myself in the way I can still relate to the new stuff. But I think you described it well when you used the word betrayal or abandoned. Perhaps not quite that strong, but towards that area.

I just skimmed through the debate in this thread. Don't care enough about the Up&Up video to post a detailed comment here, but in principle I agree with most of the things said by @The Adversary except that I would like to note that:

- personally, I think Coldplay's videos were never as great as their songs, except for The Scientist. But for sure video quality, especially for the big singles, has been on the decline recently (AOAL with product placement, POC with stupid Oriental cliches etc., ASFOS with a totally random video that didn't reflect the mood of the song or the album at all....) Don't know where they are going. I'm really worried that in the next Era, Chris will appear in bling bling clothes and be surrounded by scantily clad women shaking their butts into the camera.

- in my opinion, The Hardest Part video is the low point of the otherwise great and cherished X&Y Era. That weird acrobatics footage and the song just don't fit together.

- overall I'm more worried about song quality than video quality. It's true that the target group for Coldplay songs has changed radically, from mature and reflective young people to the YOLO-partying teen generation, to put it provocatively. The videos, especially the ones for the big singles, are obviously reflecting that change.

maybe I am an oldplayer myself afterall

This was the most surprising moment in this thread for me

You'd think there was actually something concrete out already to get in to such a detailed argument as to why this is the next peg down for coldplay on their downward spiral. Let's all just calm down and wait for them to release this thing first. But I get the worry specifically with the MVs going by the recent track record.

• Like 3

This was the most surprising moment in this thread for me

I never made it a secret that I preferred the old stuff. It's what made me a fan to begin with. But what keeps me away from labeling myself an oldplayer is my acceptance of the new stuff as well. That, and the negative association (deserved or not) of that title. I mean, yeah, if I had to choose, I would join team oldplaying over newplaying. But the definition of oldplaying has changed (for the worse) imo from a group that prefers the old material to a group that hates the new. I feel this does not accurately define who I am as a fan. So instead of doing so, i'll simply be a coldplayer.

• Like 4

I never made it a secret that I preferred the old stuff. It's what made me a fan to begin with. But what keeps me away from labeling myself an oldplayer is my acceptance of the new stuff as well. That, and the negative association (deserved or not) of that title. I mean, yeah, if I had to choose, I would join team oldplaying over newplaying. But the definition of oldplaying has changed (for the worse) imo from a group that prefers the old material to a group that hates the new. I feel this does not accurately define who I am as a fan. So instead of doing so, i'll simply be a coldplayer.

#respect

• Like 2

SPIELBERG YOU SAY? I'm calling it now - it will be a Coldplay remake of ET. Beyonce, an funny looking but endearingly cute alien from outer space, arrives on planet Earth where she is met by a group of 4 boys, who are lonely and just want to be popular. Together, they figure out how to send Beyonce back to the planet of JZ by flying their bikes to the moon....up and up and up.....

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...