✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-09-24] Chris Martin to appear at The Global Citizen Concert in NYC

Chris is from Whitestone, UK ? Now that's news to me, I thought it was Exeter itself...

Since Whitestone is so close to Exeter people might just say Exeter sometimes because it's the nearest city (Whitestone is a village). I often refer to myself as being from the city a couple miles from where I grew up, even though technically I grew up in a town with a different name that's sort of part of the city. My address even had the city in it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Whitestone is so close to Exeter people might just say Exeter sometimes because it's the nearest city (Whitestone is a village). I often refer to myself as being from the city a couple miles from where I grew up, even though technically I grew up in a town with a different name that's sort of part of the city. My address even had the city in it.

I know, I actually do the same myself (also come from, albeit large, village next to a medium-sized towon)

I was just surprised because I had never heard the name of the village before :)

• Like 1

I know, I actually do the same myself (also come from, albeit large, village next to a medium-sized towon)

I was just surprised because I had never heard the name of the village before :)

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anywhere be that specific, haha. If someone had asked me, I'd have said Exeter too. I mean Whitehall rings a bell so I guess I saw it on Wikipedia or something, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I mean for the first 10 years or so that I liked Coldplay I just assumed he was from London, so I'm not sure I'm really the best at geographic band facts lol.

It must be weird for Chris to play to a quiet-ish crowd . It's so different, and great, to watch him playing / singing standing still. Haha.

Rally enjoyed all that - especially the add lib. As @TheSavage_ said - it made that show.

It was weird indeed! While he was singing Raspberry Beret we could see he wasn't feeling comfortable because the crowd was kind of desperate to see Rihanna and she was taking long. Chris asked the crowd to cheer up to Rihanna but they didn't scream as loud as when the band is on stage. When he finished the song he left the stage as fast as possible! But, I'm sure people really loved the improvised lyrics about waiting for her to take the stage :D

• Like 1

Okay just watched the Raspberry Beret performance, the one time I'm glad the crowd was quietish! That audio is going straight on my iPhone, his voice was ace and the audio is nice and clear! Once again showcasing his on-the-spot improv skills. :laugh3:

My thoughts exactly.

I really love that performance.

And it is a one of a kind version. [emoji4]

So Rihanna was late again...

A few weeks ago she had people at a festival in Belgium waiting for 1,5 hours.

Must take a long time to do her hair and make-up. [emoji16]

Wouldn't mind if Chris is stalling for her though. [emoji4]

• Like 3

OMG the Rihanna verse! Shows what a genius songwriter he is, reminds me of Shakespeare :clap:

Haha poor Chris. Being put on the spot like that till they could find something else to fill the time xD Brilliant performance though :dazzled:

omg Chris and Eddie Vedder together :dazzled:

I had the same reaction :D

Amazing singer and he seems like such a nice person too (Eddie) :dazzled:

Also, am I the only one who was slightly annoyed by the crowd D: They were so noisy when the videos were being shown and the speakers were talking especially near the end. I found it a bit rude :c those were such inspiring people and stories and the audience kept mumbling to each other through it. I mean I get it that a lot of people are probably more excited about watching the pop stars than anything else but it still seemed disrespectful :c

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly.

I really love that performance.

And it is a one of a kind version. [emoji4]

So Rihanna was late again...

A few weeks ago she had people at a festival in Belgium waiting for 1,5 hours.

Must take a long time to do her hair and make-up. [emoji16]

Wouldn't mind if Chris is stalling for her though. [emoji4]

I have heard a report according to which Rihanna has been extremely late for several concerts in a row, her highest achievement being 3 hours !!!! I personally think it's disrespectful to the fans, especially if it's not a one-off (accidents happen) but a regular thing.

Another thing that our band would never do...

• Like 4

I have heard a report according to which Rihanna has been extremely late for several concerts in a row, her highest achievement being 3 hours !!!! I personally think it's disrespectful to the fans, especially if it's not a one-off (accidents happen) but a regular thing.

Another thing that our band would never do...

Yes.l, it is beyond rude, imo. I thought her first song was beautiful and she gave it her all. After that, it was all gyrating and lots of lip syncing. What's with the long breaks between many songs?? Was she ill? Her outfit, especially the flurry of sleeves, was a pretty tribute to Prince. Otherwise, I didn't care for it. Way too many flashing lights for my head to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes.l, it is beyond rude, imo. I thought her first song was beautiful and she gave it her all. After that, it was all gyrating and lots of lip syncing. What's with the long breaks between many songs?? Was she ill? Her outfit, especially the flurry of sleeves, was a pretty tribute to Prince. Otherwise, I didn't care for it. Way too many flashing lights for my head to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't watch the rest of the set...but did wonder about her outfit, so it was a nod to Prince ?

The first song was Stay, one of the two Rihanna-containing songs I care about (the other one being Princess of China) :)

Stay is a very beautiful song in my opinion, and it takes me back to lonely evenings/nights in the lab back in early 2013. I had to work a lot during the night and I would keep the radio on to keep me company and dispel the fears (for it was scary to be in the lab alone at night, and worst of all was the actually well-meant security patrol that passed 3 times per night but never at the same hours and was the perfect jumpscare for me). I "discovered" a lot of songs at that time, and Stay was one of those that often came on during the night, so calming. In the mornings, especially when I had to start early, there was this one song with a soaring melody that always made me turn the radio louder and gave me a good mood. All I ever understood from the lyrics back then was "for some reason I can't explain", which I eventually googled. There was another song that was all over the radio at the time (a bit earlier, since late 2011 and during all of 2012) which caught my attention because its instrumentation sounded so different from the rest of mainstream music, it sounded very orchestral to me, especially the intro and the bridge. To this day, the intro can make me very emotional because it is the signature song of that time in my life...A radio host who once after the song yelled "Paradise, Coldplay !" into the microphone is my first recollection of ever hearing that name.

Oops, sorry for the extended walk down memory lane thanks to Stay... :)

• Like 4