✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

The English voice at the end of Bani Adam that says "May there be peace and love and perfection throughout all creation, through God" really sounds like Coleman Banks, the person who reads The Guest House in Kaleidoscope. I think it's the same person.

Perhaps Bani Adam is meant to be a spiritual successor to Kaleidoscope.

The piano in the beginning of Kaleidoscope sounds way too close to Bani Adam.

• Like 1

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute... Is it just me or Bani Adam sounds like the first small part of Kaleidoscope before the static to the other piano part with the poem? Was that a precursor or a demo to it? Or even a hint of something they are working on?

I made that same connection when I heard it too

I have really detailed commentary about all the things I like ;P

Well you've already seen my post..... seems we may have a lot in common :joy:

I like the album a lot but probably put it behind many of the others.

I like every single Coldplay album but it just sucks having to put one last. I don't think this is going last anytime soon personally but yeah, it kinda sucks when you have somebody else looking at your lists and going "why do you not like that one?!?!?!?!" I DO like it, its just that it's the weakest out of them all, ya know what I'm getting at? I'm very open minded when it comes to different forms of music so it's rare I actually dislike something honestly.

Both this and BrokEn I wish would've built into something bigger and badder. A good example for the latter is Blur's Tender and U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, both of which are white man alternative rock bands doing gospel-inspired music. But IMO much more enjoyable songs, because they have big singalongs, big buildups, guitar solos, etc.

Those are also styles of music more familiar to us. Not sure about Blur but U2's song is just little sprinkles of gospel, where this is literally full blown choir and everything. So it's much easier to like U2's song, as it's longer, has good guitar riffs and solos, got a good beat, etc. But with BrokEn it's just so odd compared to the music we usually listen to, it's gonna have to grow on us!

I like U2's song better as well, just because it's more familiar and a genre I like more in general, but I still have to give it to Coldplay for going totally left field with this song and shattering every last expectation we had for this album.

I actually have to say I listened to the clean version first by mistake (*leak*) and it sounds really good and fitting. You should give it a try. Imho it sounds just as good as the normal version when he screams "same.....BLOOOOD !!"

Leak?

My version didn't have the clean version on there.

BTW, Arabesque was out like half a month before the leak. And I'm pretty sure you listened to it when it came out?

Or did you listen to that clean version anyway?

I haven't really listened to the clean version but I do know the Jordan performance was clean, but he doesn't even pause, he just says "same damn blood" or whatever he said, it definitely wasn't "fucking". Threw me off a little but still very energetic nonetheless.

I don't see how they are any different from what the band have done multiple times in their early albums.

Well that's what some people want, they just like that acoustic Parachutes-ey vibe, or some of the more polished and recent acoustics like UATW, which I think Eko and Old Friends more closely resemble. They don't care as much about the band progressing into uncharted territory, because they're more familiar with what they like already.

Which is why some people like the acoustic stuff, and for others it just doesn't do it for them, and they instead want to see the band experiment more and surprise them.

I like everything pretty much so I'm fine with some acoustic tracks that remind me of their older days, and also for them to step outside their comfort zones and grow as artists, and ultimately as people.

same, same. Cant wait to crank it up loudly and just drive.

I almost exclusively listen to music in the car, unless it's a concert or I'm previewing certain tracks I want to listen to, or I'm previewing an album. My main musical entertainment is definitely in the car, the sound just completely surrounds you, and you being in motion somehow complements it so well. For this reason I've also grown very interested in aligning certain songs with certain times of day, weather, mood, season, etc. perhaps to satisfy my synesthesia lol. Kind of off topic, but not when you consider that I actually think more songs on the Sunset side fit better on the Sunrise side, and vice versa. At sunrise itself the colors are definitely right for a lot of those songs, but I think a fair few of the Sunset songs sound like more early-middle of the day type stuff, where the Sunrise songs might fit the colors because they were played very early in the day in the Jordan concert, I would definitely consider them to be more end-of-the-day songs nonetheless.

Because I'm rarely the driver I have TONS of experience making playlists (my parents always let me play my music in the car when we're driving) so I've grown quite picky about what songs fit which. :joy:

I apologize because I went to search for the primary source, and it's partially wrong. I got the information from a twitter user who got it from the italian journalist's tweet. His source was the Daily Star article from October 7 (I assume many know about this article). It said (And I quote from the article): “The first album is the more experimental side of Coldplay, they probably won’t tour until 2020 when the next one arrives.”

I wouldn't see what's wrong in there. He was right about this album being the more experimental side, and the next will likely be more conventional. Coldplay's not touring this album, but they're likely touring the next one, probably in 2020, which will also probably be when they've figured out how to make their shows environmentally sustainable, which is why they want to hold out on touring until they figure out how to do that.

Of course this will be the case. And in this consumerist world we live in where music is primarily an INDUSTRY for earning MONEY I am not surprised at all by the record company so blatantly and shamelessly yearning for new album - > a commercial one which will bring millions of dollars... Am I the only who one who sees this as disrespectful towards the artists? I swear, I am now 100% sure that Coldplay HAS to make commercial albums and this is a part of the compromise - > an album for their soul, followed by an album for their pockets and their greedy 'bosses'. Sad, but at least we get beautiful music like this still on Everyday Life - and it gives me hope that after their prime has gone, they will still make wonderful music together because I swear they got so much that we have not even heard, and might never even hear. Their talent is immense, and beyond Billboard junk.

First off, in the articles I've read they've mentioned that COLDPLAY wants to release another album ASAP, and the label was just making the announcment. So I don't necessarily think they're under much pressure from the label to release anything, just that they're under pressure from the world to deliver yet another happy go lucky outing. Which definitely validates this post:

The irony of it all - the band saying they don’t care about what critics and listeners are saying about them anymore, hence the release of this album...but then they are going on to do just that by releasing something that will appeal to the masses.

Lol.

I half trusted Chris when he said that they didn't care much about success anymore, but after hearing COLDPLAY's decision to release another album quickly after this non-commercial one, that's definitely doubtful. It's GS all over again, but with what is in most eye's a much better and more ambitious album: this album is "intimate" and "experimental" and "something they needed to make".

But it seriously sounds like they're trying to please everybody here. They want to please the fans looking for a more raw/experimental sound (are they listening to us?) and they're also catering to the mainstream crowd with albums such as AHFOD and LP9 (likely). Which is directly contrary to Chris' statements this era.

The only reason I could see them not lying is if the label's hiding that they're pushing Coldplay to release another mainstream record after this one to recoup sales, but they're making it sound like Coldplay's decision (something I could definitely see a corporate driven label doing: even if they've had enough success, it's all about making MORE and MORE money amirite?) Otherwise though, it just sounds like an effort to justify/make an excuse as to why this record isn't mainstream or being toured. Then, they'll go back and make another mainstream album.

They've done this since GS (and maybe even since VLV). Even though that album didn't please many people, I think it's something that perhaps they wanted to deliver for the fans wanting more experimental music, as even though it IS an electronic pop album it does have a lot of space and ambience in the record, things which they might have assumed we wanted. Even though Mylo, the more mainstream record was released 3 years after VLV, the more clear trend starts with GS and AHFOD, now they're doing almost the exact same thing over again.

And as sad as it is that they're being forced in someway to cater to mainstream crowds I personally don't mind them doing album releases in this format. It gives us the music that WE want, and then the music that will earn them money and success. And their OUTSTANDING concerts. As I think I said earlier in this thread (it might have been another, apologies if I'm getting mixed up) I would definitely like a second chance to be closer to the main stage and become more physical with the performance, and to have the opportunity to attend an outside venue so I could witness the fireworks. I know that many Oldplayers don't care for these things either but personally all of that just captivated me, and at least a few times in my life I'd like to go to an AHFOD style concert again, that was just so killer. And if these mainstream albums provide that I'm all for, as long as they throw in some experimental stuff sometimes.

Sadly this kind of results in less live plays of the more experimental stuff, but it's a relatively small sacrifice to be made to satisfy both sides of my personal music taste, and to satisfy both sides of Coldplay's crowd.

Just talking about this makes me realize this is definitely more of a "how can we please everybody?" conversation, which since GS I bet they've been having as well. It just sucks that they have to alter their publicity to fit these eras accordingly, like they're trying to hide what they're actually doing or something.

I swear they got so much that we have not even heard, and might never even hear.

Now I'm secretly hoping a ton of their recordings are gonna be publicly leaked just like Radiohead and we'll be able to listen to all the gems that we otherwise would have never heard :joy:

The next album will be 100% dumb-mass-appealing, just wait and see. It will be even more garbage than AHFOD

I personally liked most of the songs on AHFOD but if they go much further it's gonna upset me as well. Like I know they started up Los Unidades for a reason (oh wait, I guess they do care about what their fans think) but if they go in that direction..... just please no. That was right on that borderline of being too poppy for my taste, if they go any further and keep collaborating with garbage like Big Sean it's gonna be a real bummer, because I liked the concerts so much and heck I can only imagine what the concerts would have been like with the quality of Mylo's music, which is personally still my favorite album from them. Their best music AND my favorite style of concerts, DAMN curse me for not being a Coldplay fan earlier :joy: I just hope they don'y go too poppy, and that if they do they keep it modest like Orphans or Champion of the World, so they keep quality music but are still able to make it mainstream and accessible enough to have concerts like that.

(As much as it impacts the performance, he actually manages to not do a half bad job on most songs even when he's running and jumping around the stage and what not. I know that most people say that the fancy light shows, confetti, fireworks etc. take away from the pure authenticity of the performance and music itself but I personally think they can be used to enhance a show, and again because I'm usually soooooo excited for a concert I don't know how I would have reacted to going to a AROBTTH concert, or a Parachutes concert, etc. When the energy of the Coldplay concerts perfectly reflected me inside last era, I'd be willing to take some sacrifices in performance for that :joy:)

I feel like there is too much pressure on them now that they are the biggest band in the world. I just want them to make music THEY want and not what the world wants from them.

Every album prior to this one has technically been mainstream, including the first three albums.

And this is something I think a lot of people miss. I think the first might have been a little less mainstream, and Viva, and EL but other than that all their albums have been mostly mainstream, partially being made for money. Obviously they could have gone full electrodancepop like some of the music at the time, so I definitely do think that they still have a love for doing rock specifically. And that their tastes leaned more towards the side of mainstream rock as well, at least in some points in their career.

But now that rock has fallen out of the mainstream, whenever they do make music for some success they tend to avoid that these days. And I do think certain people need to stop conflating any "mainstream" music with music they simply don't like. You can say that the style of music that's popular now is not your style and that's completely fine, but to blindly claim all of mainstream music as being garbage is very oblivious, especially when it's a Coldplay fan who trashes their later work for being "tOo mAiNsTrEaM" when there wasn't anything less mainstream about the prior albums, it was simply a matter of differences in taste. And that they've always had some level of desire for success, or their label has forced them to after blowing up with Yellow, but with rock falling out of the mainstream they've been made to go a little more poppy, which has little to do with an increased desire for being mainstream, it's just that they're shifting their style to match the sound, which is the real issue for some people.

(Obviously I'm not defending music being made for mainstream purposes alone. I think it's a good way to make a fortune if you get large enough, but after you experience a certain amount of success why is that desire still there to keep making big pop hits? We just want more and more money. Whether that's from the label, or the musician, or both. It's really an artist's choice for what purpose they want to make music, as long as they're not harming anybody it's fine by me. I think we should just listen to the music we want to listen to regardless of it's popularity or not, which really shouldn't be a factor on its own when deciding whether we like a song or not, it should just be whether we like the sound of the song itself, and other things such as creativity, originality, etc. Mainstream music can still be made to evolve into something more creative, but there's definitely more room in mainstream music to be lazy as most people just want a good tune. And it's plainly obvious to tell whether an artist is just following the trend or not, or trying to innovate and come up with original ideas. And personally that's among my factors in deciding whether I like a song. Like sonically I might prefer the sound of Mainstream Song A even though I'll admit it's nothing original or innovative, to Mainstream Song B which I can appreciate nonetheless as at least the artist has made an attempt to step outside their confort zone and make a statement with it, or trying to further a genre of music in some way, or even pinoeer a genre of music. POINT BEING, I really don't think we should solely judge music based on it's popularity or accessibility, if that was the case we should only like Parachutes, VLV, and EL, and despise most of the rest of Coldplay's discography :joy:)

You should wait and see what it’s going to be instead of getting angry at the thought of a hypothetical.

Of course we should wait and see, but many signs point to LP9 being more commercial:

-We already know that some leftovers from the EL era will be used for LP9. One of these was Orphans, which managed to make it onto this album due to its darker themes. However, this song's instrumental is undeniably very poppy. Given that other leftovers from EL will be used for the next album there might be some experimentality to be had, but a lot of it might have ended up sounding similar to Orphans as well.

-Chris has said many of the same things in this era as he did in the GS era, and the band has made a lot of similar decisions in this era as they did with that era (touring). If GS and AHFOD are considered to be a single era, what's been going on in this era so far practically mirrors that era almost identically AFAIK, thus it's easy to assume that LP9 will also be a more conventional record, also seeing as they have less time to make this reportedly (even though, to be fair, EL didn't exactly have a lot of time to be recorded either, they just had a lot of time off BEFORE then).

-And the Italian DJ who has gotten everything right so far also says next era will be more conventional, so hey.

I'm listening to Flags on repeat and oh my goodness I can't get enough of this. This song is hitting me harder and harder in the feels as I pay more attention to the lyrics...

"I know that I am living, can you show me how to live?" is such a simple lyric, but I think it's my favorite from this era.

Well darn I guess it feels kinda good at least having a single preview of one song I haven't heard yet from this era. I was expecting some spoilers of that song in this thread but I accepted it, as I avoided all spoilers for the album, I figured I'd play the previewer this time around :joy:

-------------------

People above have been mentioning that Bani Adam and Kaleidoscope sound very similar. I can definitely see this connection, they're practically the same in the first half, just that Bani Adam is longer and a semitone up. And then there's the poem for the second half, with similar themes and a really similar voice. I definitely think Bani Adam is Kaleidoscope's more fleshed out spiritual successor.

Also, remember in the AHFOD era when we were talking about how Kaleidoscope sounded eerily similar to a snippet at the end of a live performance of Trouble a while back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS-NYH8_Ce0:248

I guess both Kaleidoscope and Bani Adam were born in this era. :joy:

But this definitely far closer resembles Bani Adam. If somebody were to tell people then that they were witnessing what was to be a song that would only be released 5 years later, then again in a different format 9 years later it would have blown their mind. I listened to this in 2015 during those discussions, and I was totally convinced it was Kaleidoscope. Little did we know, we were more accurately witnessing a spectacle from the future..... a teeny little taste of what was to come..... oh if only the Oldplayers paid more attention to this snippet and perhaps realized Coldplay's future looked more bright than they were letting on..... :joy:

• Like 3

I'm listening to Flags on repeat and oh my goodness I can't get enough of this. This song is hitting me harder and harder in the feels as I pay more attention to the lyrics...

"I know that I am living, can you show me how to live?" is such a simple lyric, but I think it's my favorite from this era.

They ALWAYS do this. They leave the best songs off the albums!

-MX (Moving to Mars, Christmas Lights)

-GS (Ghost Story, All Your Friends)

-AHFoD (All I Can Think About is You, ALIENS)

Flags is way better than Orphans. Man, I swear.

• Like 6

They ALWAYS do this. They leave the best songs off the albums!

-MX (Moving to Mars, Christmas Lights)

-GS (Ghost Story, All Your Friends)

-AHFoD (All I Can Think About is You, ALIENS)

Flags is way better than Orphans. Man, I swear.

Not only is it better, but also it wouldn't be flopping as bad as Orphans on Top 40 radio and streaming services. I mean, I don't despise Orphans. It has some great elements. The production is incredible like the rest of the album; The bass is glorious (one if not the best in a Coldplay song), and the lyrics are meaningful, but I have to admit that the climax is very simple, and I can see why it's not taking off in the mainstream. Flags, on the other hand, is pop perfection.

• Like 2

Not only is it better, but also it wouldn't be flopping as bad as Orphans on Top 40 radio and streaming services. I mean, I don't despise Orphans. It has some great elements. The production is incredible like the rest of the album; The bass is glorious (one if not the best in a Coldplay song), and the lyrics are meaningful, but I have to admit that the climax is very simple, and I can see why it's not taking off in the mainstream. Flags, on the other hand, is pop perfection.

Orphans isn't even in the Top 40 in the UK.

I really avoid looking at the charts these days as they just make me despair..however with streaming, YouTube etc. I don't think they're anywhere near as relevant as they were 20-30 years ago to the state of pop music.

• Like 1

Orphans isn't even in the Top 40 in the UK.

I really avoid looking at the charts these days as they just make me despair..however with streaming, YouTube etc. I don't think they're anywhere near as relevant as they were 20-30 years ago to the state of pop music.

Coldplay was still relevant during the AHFOD era. If you check the numbers at kworb.net, their singles were pretty successful world wide. AOAL and HFTW got more than 2 billion views combined on Youtube, and the album is one of the most streamed albums on spotify from that year (2015).

I just think that one year in music feels way longer nowdays. With streaming services, people can listen to many different artists without even having to rely on radio or TV. Talent is more easy to discover and become viral, so there is more competition to get the attention of the general audience. Just look at how many artists have peaked in popularity since the release of AHFOD: Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Drake, Imagine Dragons, Cardi B, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Shawn Mendes, BTS, etc. Not to mention that Urban music (rap, Hip-Hop, trap, Reaggeton) completely conquered the music industry by the time AHFOD was released. Artists like Kendrick Lamar, Lizzo, Frank Ocean or Tylor The Creator who started as underground can get hundreds of millions of streams with no promotion at all.

Considering all of this, the fact that Coldplay has been the number one digital artist since Everyday Life was released is remarkable.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I think the album's chart struggles just have to do with the low-key promotion and general lack of pre-release appearances to build anticipation as opposed to what they did for past albums. Even Ghost Stories was promoted before its release more than this record ever was.

• Like 4

I'm not sure about the claim that Flags would be doing better than Orphans. It's poppy but not as much as Orphans, it's even further from what the mainstream accepts now than Orphans in any case, so I'm honestly not convinced Flags would do any better.

What they should do is release Church as a single. THAT has potential to get big, thanks largely in part to Stargate.

I don't really look at the charts at all as I don't really care that much, I look every now and again just to see what kinds of garbage is at the top, and I had a phase a few years back where I checked a lot. Most of it is just garbage anyway. Unlike a few years back.

• Like 2

I'm not sure about the claim that Flags would be doing better than Orphans. It's poppy but not as much as Orphans, it's even further from what the mainstream accepts now than Orphans in any case, so I'm honestly not convinced Flags would do any better.

What they should do is release Church as a single. THAT has potential to get big, thanks largely in part to Stargate.

I don't really look at the charts at all as I don't really care that much, I look every now and again just to see what kinds of garbage is at the top, and I had a phase a few years back where I checked a lot. Most of it is just garbage anyway. Unlike a few years back.

I agree, it would be interesting to see how Church would do on the charts these days..slightly biased as it’s my favourite song on the album:D

• Like 1

The irony of it all - the band saying they don’t care about what critics and listeners are saying about them anymore, hence the release of this album...but then they are going on to do just that by releasing something that will appeal to the masses.

Lol.

Though I hope they gonna continue with the Everyday Life vibe for at least three more songs on the next album.

• Like 4

Though I hope they gonna continue with the Everyday Life vibe for at least three more songs on the next album.

I honestly thought they’ll continue VLV for another album but MX happened instead. So I’m not holding my breath on this one. Hahaha

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...