✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Unnamed LP9 Thread

jc90

I for one welcome a second MX which includes:

-Hurts Like Heaven, to date, Jonny's most complicated guitar solo and number of guitar solos jammed in 1 song

-Charlie Brown, ETIAW, and DLIBYH all with fun tinkly riffs from Jonny. If you like that tiny bit of Orphans, then why not have LOTS of it? Also all these songs have high energy and great production + xylobands!

-Acoustic masterpieces: UATW, UFO, and Up With the Birds

-Massive singalongs, esp Paradise. If you don't like that song, at least it has a big guitar solo from Jonny! Even if you don't like POC, that has huge guitar and basslines too.

-Major Minus!!!!

-I actually quite like Up in Flames. It's got a simple electronic beat, piano, nice guitar lines, tragic vocals. What's so bad about all that??

Dont get me wrong, I like mylo.. there is nothing from them that I dont like actually.

But I think mylo has some issues.. its not about structure or guitar solos. Hurts like heaven is the best track from it with up with the birds and major. But I think in general the album is a little overproduced.. but ok its not like ahfd, but I think the vibe from the record is..too much you know.. and what really makes me feel like it didnt top their first four albums its that it seems that they are trying to hard to sound like some genre of music..and not being free, themselves. I mean its coldplay..their essence still there but..for me it looks like its more weaker, like they are not bringing much of their identity to the table just to trying to Inhence the genre of pop rock there. Like some melodies follow exactly the voice from chris, it happens on paradise or charlie brown or ETDIWF. But you know thats my opinion..not judging you..I just like otherside from them. thinking about melodies being too close its something that didnt happen so much in past, you can see that in songs like low..or arbth

I think mylo for me feels forced at times, and the slow ballads are not so touching like it is now on EL, (old friends is so good), I think mylo is better than ahfd as an album but thats it. And you know for me its ok cos that was the point of it..be more approachable and acessible

• Like 3

I know you don't want to read this but...I have hope LP9 will allow Car Kids to see the light of day

Coldplay registered Car Kids last year but did not use it for Los Unidades or Everyday Life

They could have used that title for another song (like what they usually do to keep the real title secret) and honestly that would be the most cruel trolling ever :joy:

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

I

I know you don't want to read this but...I have hope LP9 will allow Car Kids to see the light of day

Coldplay registered Car Kids last year but did not use it for Los Unidades or Everyday Life

They could have used that title for another song (like what they usually do to keep the real title secret) and honestly that would be the most cruel trolling ever :joy:

I'd love to see car kids being release, something tells me its a great song. Most of the reminiscent material they hold on from mylo era to now seems to be top nutch, I mean most of the songs they've been releasing so far have been so good. Even the most poppier sound like a great coldplay song, so yeah car kids come right away haha xD

• Like 1

Except they have been trying to duplicate Mylo Xyloto ever since and they will, trust me.

Apart from most of Ghost Stories, yes. And they seem to feel like they need Stargate in order to do that, which they don't. At all. If they really want to be uplifting, they don't have to resort to Maroon 5-style production.

Dont get me wrong, I like mylo.. there is nothing from them that I dont like actually.

But I think mylo has some issues.. its not about structure or guitar solos. Hurts like heaven is the best track from it with up with the birds and major. But I think in general the album is a little overproduced.. but ok its not like ahfd, but I think the vibe from the record is..too much you know.. and what really makes me feel like it didnt top their first four albums its that it seems that they are trying to hard to sound like some genre of music..and not being free, themselves. I mean its coldplay..their essence still there but..for me it looks like its more weaker, like they are not bringing much of their identity to the table just to trying to Inhence the genre of pop rock there. Like some melodies follow exactly the voice from chris, it happens on paradise or charlie brown or ETDIWF. But you know thats my opinion..not judging you..I just like otherside from them. thinking about melodies being too close its something that didnt happen so much in past, you can see that in songs like low..or arbth

I think mylo for me feels forced at times, and the slow ballads are not so touching like it is now on EL, (old friends is so good), I think mylo is better than ahfd as an album but thats it. And you know for me its ok cos that was the point of it..be more approachable and acessible

Mylo is mostly still an alternative rock album at the core. But it's so overproduced in places; Princess of China and DLIBYH are both an absolute mess in that regard. I'd like the album more if it had better mixing and if they toned down the synths on songs like PoC. Most of the songs sound so much better live, which explains why I tend to listen to Live 2012 more than MX, haha. There are some really good songs there, like Charlie Brown, UATW, HLH, and Major Minus, but the rest of the album just feels awkward to listen to. I have a love/hate relationship with this record... sometimes I like it better than Ghost Stories, sometimes I just can't bear to listen to it.

Someone had to say it! :joy: Poor CK, it has been in limbo for 10 years now...

• Like 5

I don't know how the album will sound like but I can see a release date in a year from now, but I don't see it being released earlier. Cancellations of their European festivals plans suggest, to me, that they will be recording and focusing on the album this summer.

Since they are playing Global Citizen, they may want to test one or two new songs then (like in 2015).

If they don't perform anything new then, then I would assume the release date would be early 2021.

• Like 4

Everyday life was the first LP that got me excited about the band in a very long time but this news coming from record execs hinting that LP9 is more poppy and mainstream is disappointing to say the least.

I had this uneasy feeling before AHFOD was released that turned out being correct, and I have it again now. I really do hope I’m wrong.

To clarify, I have no real objection to the band doing something that’s more uplifting and happy than EL, but if it’s going to be pop I’d want to see it being more like MX than AHFOD. The live version of some MX songs seen before the album was released showed that the band can do that style with grace and decorum, but Coldplay’s album versions of poppy songs are horrible, bubblegum, saccharine sounding messes that are just down to awful production.

So if it is indeed true that EL is not a new direction for the band, I do hope “poppy” translates to a better produced MX with plenty of guitar, bass and a few acoustic gems thrown in, less collaborations and more of the band.

• Like 5

Everyday life was the first LP that got me excited about the band in a very long time but this news coming from record execs hinting that LP9 is more poppy and mainstream is disappointing to say the least.

I had this uneasy feeling before AHFOD was released that turned out being correct, and I have it again now. I really do hope I’m wrong.

To clarify, I have no real objection to the band doing something that’s more uplifting and happy than EL, but if it’s going to be pop I’d want to see it being more like MX than AHFOD. The live version of some MX songs seen before the album was released showed that the band can do that style with grace and decorum, but Coldplay’s album versions of poppy songs are horrible, bubblegum, saccharine sounding messes that are just down to awful production.

So if it is indeed true that EL is not a new direction for the band, I do hope “poppy” translates to a better produced MX with plenty of guitar, bass and a few acoustic gems thrown in, less collaborations and more of the band.

I get the worry but I think we need to hold on what chris said here

AE3333F5-46AB-49B0-92AE-0EC61599159E.thumb.png.1ef4ed55328d5f96d08bf117d8a3ea73.png

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting nugget in the album booklet.

Avert your eyes if you dont want to be spoiled

[MEDIA=twitter]1197680360248741888[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/coldplayxtra/status/1197680360248741888

"FFTF2024"

Are we waiting longer than we thought then...?

Possible spoilers below, I don't know how to use spoiler tags.

The year 2024 must have some significance. If it's true that a new album will be "released as soon as possible", then I could definitely see LP10 being released in 2024. It seems strange that they'd already be looking so far into the future when there's technically only 7 Coldplay albums that have been officially released worldwide.

• Like 2

Possible spoilers below, I don't know how to use spoiler tags.

The year 2024 must have some significance. If it's true that a new album will be "released as soon as possible", then I could definitely see LP10 being released in 2024. It seems strange that they'd already be looking so far into the future when there's technically only 7 Coldplay albums that have been officially released worldwide.

yeah, that really threw me off. based off everything we heard previously, all signs point to LP9 being 1 maybe 2 years away max. the rumours, the quotes from executives directly, the band mentioning they had songs for 'another album'. This is the first bit of news that would suggest otherwise. and like you said, how can they plan so far in the future when theyve said 'they put everything they had in this album', and now they're thinking 2 albums ahead?

• Like 2

Coldplay aren't touring this album, it's looking like they'll only play a few shows...

If they want to keep the momentum up, I dare say LP9 will be out mid next year, pretty much like the GS/AHFOD structure.

As for the 2024 thing... That's super intriguing.

• Like 6

Just on "The Spheres" thing.

In a Geological sense, 'the spheres' are the 4 spheres that make up the Earth.

Biosphere - all living things

Lithosphere - The Earth's crust and all non-living things (mountains, rock, ground etc)

Atmosphere - The gases surrounding the planet (in their many layers)

Hydrosphere - All of the water on the Earth's surface.

Seeing as Coldplay like to celebrate life and our planet, wouldn't surprise me if this was the theme.

Never thought my real life job might be relevant to a potential Coldplay album! haha.

• Like 9

It feels like all this news has been coming way too fast lately. It's so hard to keep up with everything. I watched every single EL interview up until a few days ago, when I finally lost track of them all. For an album without many interviews, it's really hard to keep up. I even listened to Guy's hour and a half car interview. Just thinking about a tenth album this early makes me uneasy, because I haven't even caught up with all the EL stuff yet or had a chance to enjoy this era in its entirety.

• Like 6

Music of the Spheres... Spacey retro vibes... Now we're talking, that's the Coldplay I've been waiting for since Viva. But who knows what this really means. I don't even want to picture 2024 right now, way way wayyyyyy too far away.

• Like 7

Music os the Spheres... Spacey retro vibes... Now we're talking, that's the Coldplay I've been waiting for since Viva. But who knows what this really means. I don't even want to picture 2024 right now, way way wayyyyyy too far away.

Yeah, I remember after X&Y, and I think we were getting the roadie 42 blogs, and one of them described chris asking someone to 'build a solar system'. since then, ive been waiting for the space rock I was hoping for.

If we get that, i will gladly wait for 2024!

Well, maybe not gladly, but more quietly : )

• Like 3

Yeah, I remember after X&Y, and I think we were getting the roadie 42 blogs, and one of them described chris asking someone to 'build a solar system'. since then, ive been waiting for the space rock I was hoping for.

If we get that, i will gladly wait for 2024!

Well, maybe not gladly, but more quietly : )

I have my own imaginary parallel Coldplay universe I like to write about in my spare time. This sounds great!

• Like 4