✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Three more Coldplay albums to come, last one in 2025

Captain Crieff

So Chris said this on BBC Radio 2 (broadcast tomorrow): "Well I know I can tell you: our last proper record will come out in 2025 and after that I think we will only tour,” Martin said. “Maybe we’ll do some collaborative things but the Coldplay catalogue, as it were, finishes then.”

source: https://www.nme.com/news/music/chris-martin-says-coldplay-will-stop-making-music-in-2025-3125014

It's not entirely news, but I think it's the first time he's talked about the timing of it all?

What are your thoughts?

Personally I'm totally okay with 3 more albums, I can live with that but an album almost every year until 2025 feels a bit... rushed? As if they want to be done with it. 'it' being releasing albums, not the band, because they'll keep touring :thinking: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheLostColdplayer said:

Well, if music comes from the heart I can't understand how they could be so determined to carry on such a plan.

It sounds as if they wish to bring the whole thing to an end quite quickly. I'm a bit saddened by this approach, to be honest.

If you go to most news/magazine websites, the comments are all celebrating and comparing them to the pandemic. Can you imagine receiving so much unwarranted hate for 23 years? It takes a toll in anyone's mental health. Then we also have MOTS being hated even by fans.

Maybe I'm wrong and the band have everything planned carefully to give us a nice farewell, but if the case is otherwise I wouldn't be mad at all. I'm only sad because I didn't became a Coldplay fan earlier to enjoy more of the ride, but well, I'll be holding their hand until the very end no matter what.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Thanks 1

I agree, it does seem very rushed. I do believe him when he says that LP12 will be their final album, but I don't think they'll be able to create three more albums, tour and navigate around COVID/any other obstacles within a timeframe of 3 years.

11 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

I'm only sad because I didn't became a Coldplay fan earlier to enjoy more of the ride, but well, I'll be holding their hand until the very end no matter what.

I completely feel you about this, because I became a fan around MX era, so I've missed their beginnings and VLV, not to mention that I haven't still seen them live (but there are still chances for this)... 

Well yeah it seems a bit rushed actually, but on the other hand I think it's the first time he clearly gives us a "deadline", so I'm prone to believe him. I wonder how and when they came to this decision (before or after the pandemic? Or was it already planned many years in advance?)

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 1

Highly doubtful. While i accept it's 12 albums and that's it, Chris Martin will continue to be a prolific songwriter (McCartney., Plant, Bowie, etc, never stopped), as he keeps saying "he doesn't know where songs come from but they just come through him". He either sits on them (no), does some solo stuff (always said he won't), gives them to other artists (possible but more likely he will want them) or release them through Coldplay. If they are going to continue to tour I would expect them to add new songs occasionally to keep things fresh or they would probably feel they're short changing their fans if they didn't. So i would expect digital downloads, EP's etc in the future to compliment tours rather than the investment in time and creativity that albums require. 

10 hours ago, Pepperfish said:

Highly doubtful. While i accept it's 12 albums and that's it, Chris Martin will continue to be a prolific songwriter (McCartney., Plant, Bowie, etc, never stopped), as he keeps saying "he doesn't know where songs come from but they just come through him". He either sits on them (no), does some solo stuff (always said he won't), gives them to other artists (possible but more likely he will want them) or release them through Coldplay. If they are going to continue to tour I would expect them to add new songs occasionally to keep things fresh or they would probably feel they're short changing their fans if they didn't. So i would expect digital downloads, EP's etc in the future to compliment tours rather than the investment in time and creativity that albums require. 

This could also actually make sense... 

Any thoughts about the "musical album"? I mean, I'm curious to see what it will be. He seemed quite serious about it, so I think there is definitely something going on

3 hours ago, only.your.imagination said:

Any thoughts about the "musical album"? I mean, I'm curious to see what it will be. He seemed quite serious about it, so I think there is definitely something going on

I haven't seen much of this, but isn't it a musical/tie-in album, like Lazarus by David Bowie, which had its soundtrack released separately?

I wholly believe the news but something seems off. Firstly, how are they going to work on new material if they have a world tour for the next 2/3 years? Unless they've preplanned everything but that's unlikely. Secondly, didn't they sign a new long-term contract with Parlophone? So why would they stop making music in 4 years? The dates seem too specific to not be true but at the same time it seems off.

11 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I wholly believe the news but something seems off. Firstly, how are they going to work on new material if they have a world tour for the next 2/3 years? Unless they've preplanned everything but that's unlikely. Secondly, didn't they sign a new long-term contract with Parlophone? So why would they stop making music in 4 years? The dates seem too specific to not be true but at the same time it seems off.

They recorded Everyday Life and MOTS kind of around the same time and there's already some stuff on the latter album's thread pointing at them having another project in the works, time is definitely not a problem, specially if there's a few breaks between legs. As for the long-term contract, it probably includes managing the catalogue, which is actually quite important for their legacy. Madonna's discography, for example, started to get remastered content and better promotion in streaming when she returned to Warner Music Group, they own most of her old albums but weren't really working on them because she was in another label. Given how Coldplay own the master recordings of MOTS, I wouldn't be surprised if the other albums go to the band once they release LP12, but they have always maintained a good relationship with Parlophone, so there's no reason to change that.

• Like 3

Anyway, I'm really curious about the whole musical album thing. A musical for Broadway? A concept record like Mylo Xyloto and then we get a movie or a visual project? A soundtrack like Thom Yorke did for Suspiria? So many possibilities going on here! (I would kill for an instrumental/ambient Coldplay album for a space movie).

• Wow 1

So so far the thing seems like they are going to end MOtS, release the musical album (or what ever it will be, Chris was very vague about this so there is something going on, for sure) and the last self titled album

4 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

how are they going to work on new material if they have a world tour for the next 2/3 years? Unless they've preplanned everything but that's unlikely.

Maybe during the pandemic they ended up working on more materials that they had initially planned, so now during the tour they may simply finish what they started. We don't know if their original plan was to release MOTS a little bit before they actually did, but they were forced to wait. If this was the case, then in the meanwhile they may have worked on other stuff...

I mean, the guys have been prolific over time, and I'm sure that somehow they will remain prolific in the future, despite the "deadline"

Edit: I was also thinking about their contract with Parlophone, but I'm not an expert at all about this things, so I imagine that there may be a billion of good reasons to sign, for both parties, and not necessarily tied with releasing new albums. It is difficult to predict something on such bases for us as fans; it may simply be a natural outcome of their career/musical business, and of course it would be ok

• Like 1

CONFIRMED by Chris: 

- MOTS V.2  & Musical by 2024
- Rest in 2024
- Final album reminiscent of their earlier work by the end of 2025

I'm super glad they're ending it this way. I can accept whatever shit we'll get on those two as long as we get an alternative "back to their roots" final album. 

• Like 3

I'm not particularly sad about Coldplay bringing their discography to an end but I am concerned about the 3 albums in 3 years timescale when they're touring at the same time, even if one is a musical as he said. Originally when he said that they were considering finishing in a few albums I thought it would be at least over the course of 8-10 years not 3.

In any event, I'm super curious about the "back to their roots" album. Do they mean Parachutes acoustic-low-key vibes or AROBTTH rockesque bangers? I wonder...

• Like 3

I'm actually ok with this. I do feel bad for all the new fans of the band but I think it's great they have a roadmap for what's coming ahead.

While Coldplay's musical output has been pretty underwhelming for me in the past decade or so, they have always been a band centered around album releases and the whole aesthetic about them. Seeing them become a touring band is going to be quite a change but maybe this way they can explore things they haven't been able to do before (I for one would love a concert in which we can hear Parachutes/AROBTTH/VLVODAAHF played entirely).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nvdmm said:

CONFIRMED by Chris: 

- MOTS V.2  & Musical by 2024
- Rest in 2024
- Final album reminiscent of their earlier work by the end of 2025

I'm super glad they're ending it this way. I can accept whatever shit we'll get on those two as long as we get an alternative "back to their roots" final album. 

I've missed something, when did he actually say that MOTS 2 and the musical album (or whatever it is) will be in 2024? Is there another interview or something else apart from the recent one on the BBC? 

I'm asking because if this is true, FFTF 2024 may be related to the musical rather than to MOTS

I can't wait to see what he intende with the expression "back to the roots"...

1 hour ago, only.your.imagination said:

FFTF 2024 may be related to the musical rather than to MOTS

This is an interesting idea. That photograph in the EL album announced MOTS, so it wouldn't be out of this world to expect the theoretical musical to have been soft-announced in it too. Perhaps it is not, as I had expected it, the 'Finale For The Fans' (or equivalent) final album.

13 hours ago, gustavothehuman said:

Anyway, I'm really curious about the whole musical album thing. A musical for Broadway? A concept record like Mylo Xyloto and then we get a movie or a visual project? A soundtrack like Thom Yorke did for Suspiria? So many possibilities going on here! (I would kill for an instrumental/ambient Coldplay album for a space movie).

David Bowie's musical, Lazarus (which had great presentation but overall wasn't critically succesful) was a retelling of The Man Who Fell To Earth. A retelling of Mylo Xyloto would make sense for Coldplay, although I'd hope they'd change the name; the mispronunciations would be hilarious if they didn't.

The music in the play would probably take from Coldplay's entire library and hopefully not just Mylo Xyloto, which only has Princess of China and Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall as its memorable songs. As well as previews for songs from Blackstar and No Plan, Lazarus mostly featured songs from his discography, albeit performed by a selection of people who just can't sing very well. :escaping2:

8 hours ago, JM-42 said:

I'm actually ok with this. I do feel bad for all the new fans of the band but I think it's great they have a roadmap for what's coming ahead.

While Coldplay's musical output has been pretty underwhelming for me in the past decade or so, they have always been a band centered around album releases and the whole aesthetic about them. Seeing them become a touring band is going to be quite a change but maybe this way they can explore things they haven't been able to do before (I for one would love a concert in which we can hear Parachutes/AROBTTH/VLVODAAHF played entirely).

I would love a Parachutes / Ghost Stories tour to be honest. They could make it in arenas for a more intimate vibe as well (may the Hunger, I mean, Ticket Games begin lol).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought it was supposed to end with AHFOD, I am sure they said on it Radio 1. I don't think it is a bad thing knowing when to stop. Don't think U2 have been much cop in the last 20 years. I find MOTS a bit below par... although it has a few good songs.

Edited by elroy bo
  • Like 1

This news doesn't suprise me at all, I think they already have a humongous catalogue of unfinished songs and suppose that the coming albums will mainly contain the final versions. AHFOD was their highlight. They're now working to their roots and that's definitely a plan. Everyday Life was as intimate as Ghost Stories and MOTS reflected the electronic MX. Next album will be more Viva-esque again? They catched up with Eno recently, if that makes sense..?