✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Spotify Singles Recording | Let Somebody Go & Kid Cudi "Day 'n' Nite" Cover

stephen

• Administrators

COLDPLAY RELEASE SPOTIFY SINGLES RECORDING

FEATURES NEW VERSION OF THE BAND’S LATEST

SINGLE WITH SELENA GOMEZ + KID CUDI COVER

Singles.jpg

Coldplay have today released their first Spotify Singles recording. Side A of the two-track release is an intimate and stripped-down acoustic version of the band’s current single Let Somebody Go with Selena Gomez (who also features on the new recording). Side B is the band’s upbeat, synthy cover of Kid Cudi’s iconic 2008 hit Day ‘N’ Nite. Both songs were recorded at Henson Recording Studio, Los Angeles.

Chris Martin said: "I have always loved Selena’s voice and when Let Somebody Go arrived it felt like she was the only person to sing it with. I’m so happy she said yes. She is wonderful to work with and the kind of artist whose work sounds even better after you get to meet them.”

"Day 'N' Nite - I loved when it came out, and I still love love love it.” Martin continued, “This is the first time I think that we’ve really taken proper time to record a cover, because in my head I could hear a version of it quite different from the original, that hopefully just reinforces what a brilliant song it is. One way or another I hope that anyone listening will just think, 'Wow, Kid Cudi is amazing.'"

Let Somebody Go is the third single to be taken from Coldplay’s hit album Music Of The Spheres, which has already surpassed more than a billion total streams.

The single is the follow-up to My Universe, which made history as the first Billboard Hot 100 #1 by two co-billed lead groups, Coldplay also became the first British band ever to debut at #1 on the Hot 100 with the collaboration.

Next month, the band begin their massive 2022 global stadium tour in Costa Rica. The full list of Music Of The Spheres World Tour shows is available at coldplay.com/tour. The tour is accompanied by a comprehensive set of sustainability initiatives which can be seen at coldplay.com/sustainability.

• Like 1

• stephen changed the title to Spotify Singles Recording | Let Somebody Go & Kid Cudi "Day 'n' Nite" Cover
  • stephen pinned this topic
  • stephen featured and unfeatured this topic

One of the best releases of the era so far! 

LSG is heavenly in this version! Jonny’s background riffs sound divine. Bass is intense too, I sometimes think the slight crackle I hear in my AirPods or car speakers is just because it can’t handle it that much 😂 8/10

Day N Nite is ADDICTIVE!!! What an amazing cover, love everything about this, even the Chris Martin beat box loop throughout the entire song. The band go hard at the final chorus. 10/10

• Like 3

I feel like chris should also do solo stuff along with the coldplay albums. as long as they keep it balanced, we could finally have jonny back in coldplay and chris could do his wacky experimental stuff like that cover and biuytiful on the side instead of putting essentialy solo chris songs on coldplay albums.

• Like 1

Great great cover of Kid Cudi's Day 'N' Nite! :earmuffs: I love their complete different version of this hiphop/rap kind of song. And Jonny's riffs elevate it to another level. Chris' beat box sounds good but I came to the conclusion that this cover might have been even better if Will turned up at some point for some extra drum riffs :jonny: :guy: :chris: :will: 

By the way, great review @The Jordanator ! 😆

On 2/25/2022 at 12:25 AM, The Jordanator said:

One of the best releases of the era so far! 

LSG is heavenly in this version! Jonny’s background riffs sound divine. Bass is intense too, I sometimes think the slight crackle I hear in my AirPods or car speakers is just because it can’t handle it that much 😂 8/10

Day N Nite is ADDICTIVE!!! What an amazing cover, love everything about this, even the Chris Martin beat box loop throughout the entire song. The band go hard at the final chorus. 10/10

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, Gideon_Mx said:

:jonny: :guy: :chris: :will: 

These are very cute, don't think I've seen these emojis before.

Relating to the topic, I haven't heard the orginal "Day N Nite" song so I feel I owe it to myself to seek it out before listening to the cover.

• Like 1

The Day'N'Nite cover was excellent. Chris's vocals are fine of course, but what really elevates this track to another level is the instrumental. The guitar, the string swells! Gave me strong GS meets Kaleidoscope EP meets X&Y (that synth at the end!) vibes. I've said it on twitter before, but this dark emotional ethereal sound is where the band stil excels after all these years.

By the way, it's interesting to see that this track (nominally a B-side) vastly outperforms it's A-Side. Currently at 2.4 M streams on Spotify versus 1.0 M streams only for the alternative Let Somebody Go.

Edited by I ran away
  • Like 2

Loved both! LSG with extra Jonny is perfect.

Day n Nite was really cool and I hope at some point they release video for it?!?!?! I have a sneaking suspicion the acoustic guitar was actually played by Guy not Jonny, similar to how he plays a neat little acoustic guitar riff in the We Found Love cover back in 2011/12 for Live Lounge acoustic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Loved both! LSG with extra Jonny is perfect.

Day n Nite was really cool and I hope at some point they release video for it?!?!?! I have a sneaking suspicion the acoustic guitar was actually played by Guy not Jonny, similar to how he plays a neat little acoustic guitar riff in the We Found Love cover back in 2011/12 for Live Lounge acoustic. 

You could be right! But couldn't it be Chris playing the acoustic? I agree, it sounds pretty neat!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, I ran away said:

Could be if it's layered, but if it was a mostly a live take, he was definitely on piano

Agreed - the piano is too flashy to have been Will haha. But Chris does a good job of layered acoustic guitar with heavy delay effects (see Magic, UATW, ends of the C stage songs on AHFOD tour, Orphans) so Gideon’s point makes sense too !

• Like 2