✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Linkin Park

Hicksy

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I like the album but i'm not sure where to place it. After my first listen it doesn't seem likely to be my favourite Linkin Park record because I think it spends too much time between albums rather than focusing on a definite direction. As different from one another as their previous four albums have been, they've been rooted into a style or achieved a cohesiveness. With Living Things, it's very much the album they've promised in interviews. That is, it combines the albums they have done to date but without being a nu metal album. It's definitely a very modern Linkin Park album which is strongly influenced by A Thousand Suns but arguably has more guitar and a few more screams than we've been hearing as of late. It's a much shorter album than the previous two and contains no interludes but does have an instrumental.

Standout tracks for me are Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery, Victimised, and Roads Untraveled. The album definitely has its standout tracks, but overall it has also left me asking "what now?"

It has grown on me, i've warmed to it and I do like it. But, it's not my favourite Linkin Park album. Probably my third favourite from the ones I have:

1. A Thousand Suns

2. Minutes To Midnight

3. Living Things

4. Hybrid Theory

Overall, I think the album suffers from trying to cover too many bases in a very short period of time. Although it's an ambitious record in the way that it really does bring together the previous four albums, the sound doesn't always marry up the way they want it to. You need to remember that what made Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns such watershed moments in the band's career was their extreme departure from the first two albums. Living Things stands up as an album on its own, but in trying to win back some old fans, fit into the current mould of popular music AND trying to expand their sound, Linkin Park have given themselves the arduous and virtually impossible task of being able to tick all of the boxes.

3 out of 5

Overall, I like the album but i'm not sure where to place it. After my first listen it doesn't seem likely to be my favourite Linkin Park record because I think it spends too much time between albums rather than focusing on a definite direction. As different from one another as their previous four albums have been, they've been rooted into a style or achieved a cohesiveness. With Living Things, it's very much the album they've promised in interviews. That is, it combines the albums they have done to date but without being a nu metal album. It's definitely a very modern Linkin Park album which is strongly influenced by A Thousand Suns but arguably has more guitar and a few more screams than we've been hearing as of late. It's a much shorter album than the previous two and contains no interludes but does have an instrumental.

Standout tracks for me are Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery, Victimised, and Roads Untraveled. The album definitely has its standout tracks, but overall it has also left me asking "what now?"

It has grown on me, i've warmed to it and I do like it. But, it's not my favourite Linkin Park album. Probably my third favourite from the ones I have:

1. A Thousand Suns

2. Minutes To Midnight

3. Living Things

4. Hybrid Theory

Overall, I think the album suffers from trying to cover too many bases in a very short period of time. Although it's an ambitious record in the way that it really does bring together the previous four albums, the sound doesn't always marry up the way they want it to. You need to remember that what made Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns such watershed moments in the band's career was their extreme departure from the first two albums. Living Things stands up as an album on its own, but in trying to win back some old fans, fit into the current mould of popular music AND trying to expand their sound, Linkin Park have given themselves the arduous and virtually impossible task of being able to tick all of the boxes.

3 out of 5

It didn't get me like A Thousand Suns did on the first listen but it is growing on me. Like I said before, it sounds a lot like MtM but better. It has elements of ATS in it which makes it better than MtM in my opinion.

I find that the second half of the album is so much better than the first.

For me, my favs would be:

Castle of Glass

Roads Untraveled

Skin to Bone

Tinfoil

And my album rankings would be:

1. A Thousand Suns

2. Hybrid Theory

3. Living Things

4. Meteora

5. Minutes to Midnight.

To be honest, at this moment, I can't decide whether LT is better than Meteora or Meteora is better than LT.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Hunting Party is available to stream on iTunes!

Not a big fan of it, nothing is really memorable apart from the odd track or two later on in the album. Much prefer Living Things and Recharged was great imo :D

• 2 weeks later...

Still think this is their weakest album so far, its still a good listen now, just nothing special. Final Masquerade is a tune, the best on the album for me.

I do like A Thousand Suns, Blackout is my favourite LP song :D

• 2 weeks later...

LP just announced a germany tour in November.

Here are the dates:

04.11.2014 Stuttgart, Schleyerhalle

06.11.2014 Köln, Lanxess Arena

09.11.2014 Oberhausen, König Pilsener-Arena

10.11.2014 Hamburg, o2 World

12.11.2014 Leipzig, Arena

13.11.2014 München, Olympiahalle

17.11.2014 Frankfurt, Festhalle

19.11.2014 Berlin, o2 World

20.11.2014 Bremen, ÖVB Arena

I'll probably go to the Köln (Cologne) and Oberhausen show.

• 8 months later...

I still need more time to deliver a final verdict on the album but the overall sound of it is superb. And the fact they decided to just say fuck it and go back to their roots and make a pure rock LP record really really pleased a lot of fans. This is what they should be making and its miles better than living things.

By the way could we please have a poll so people can vote which of their records they think is best?!

• 2 years later...

I have been an LP fan for a long time. I couldn't believe the news when I heard this. Terrible. I just started crying. For years, their music has played such a big role in my life. I feel very grateful to have seen them play live and to have met the band. Condolences to the family, the band, and all the other fans. RIP Chester :sob::heart:

• Like 3