✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0s6zfXJa0]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - " God Put a Smile Upon your Face " HQ Live @ Glastonbury festival 2011, Worthy Farm,UK‬‏[/ame]

Start watching at 1:30.

Now watch this around 4:40.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCOp-XznFrE]YouTube - ‪U2 - Glastonbury 2011 Jerusalem Where The Streets Have No Name Live‬‏[/ame]

I didnt think much of U2 playing a bit of yellow. They do 4 or 5 snipets of other artist's songs during a typical concert. Obviously, it was a slight tribute to their co-Glastonbury headliners, Coldplay, however, I really wasn't excited by it.

I haven't watched Coldplay yet, but I've seen most of U2's set and I thought they were very good. However, my one complaint about U2 is they didn't do anything over the top like I thought they would. Aside from playing Bad and Out of Control, it was basically a group of songs that you'd catch at any of their recent shows.

Guest howyousawtheworld

It'd be tough on U2 to judge they were the least impressive of the headliners. After a long festival with so so many great acts it's easy to forget the first performers of the festival on that first day which seems an age away now. I mean people have barely mentioned the fact that two iconic and well loved acts performed on Friday in the form of Morrissey and Radiohead as well. If U2 were on the Saturday or Sunday they'd probably be praised much more than they are.

For me U2 were every bit as good as I thought they'd be. But Coldplay blew everyone out of the water on Saturday night which I wasn't expecting as I really thought U2 would be the act we'd be talking about for years to come but their set was more than good enough to warrant that as well. I really felt it was as good as some of the great headlining performances of previous years like Springsteen, Blur and Paul McCartney. It's just that the next night Coldplay put on a show that can also be considered just that. They did benefit in playing on the Saturday and also the fact that in terms of festival bands they don't come much more experienced than Chris Martin and co. Coldplay weren't inch perfect like U2 (Us Against The World?) but somehow they made the mistake seem special in the sense that they really gave off a human, modest element which was took to everyone's heart. Perhaps U2 were too "subhuman" or out of this world for Glastonbury? Too big for Glastonbury? On Friday it seemed more the case of U2 presents Glastonbury than Glastonbury presents U2. On Saturday it certainly was Glastonbury presents Coldplay. I don't know. The reason why they are probably the greatest live act on the planet is also probably the reason they didn't amaze Glastonbury in the way Coldplay did?

p.s - may I also add that U2 had the headlining set with absolutely no gimmicks or special effects which Coldplay and Beyonce did. People often think as U2 as something of a gimmicks band using extravaganza props as their reason for being such a great band live. They proved on Friday night that that is totally not the reason. Their music is.

p.s - may I also add that U2 had the headlining set with absolutely no gimmicks or special effects which Coldplay and Beyonce did.

Beyonce was one massive gimmick! I fast forwarded over most of her performance. Massive anticlimax after Coldplay.:dozey:

• 2 weeks later...

I have my show in 4 days!

It's going to be weird, from the 28th-3rd I was in the hospital and diagnosed with Colitis, since then I've been recovering but it's been a bit of a struggle, I HAVE to be better to see them!

What do we think the setlist is gonna be for the Philly show? Here's what I'd like it to be:

Even Better Than The Real Thing

The Fly

One

Until The End Of The World

Beautiful Day

Out Of Control

I Will Follow

Elevation

Get On Your Boots

Miss Sarajevo

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

Magnificent