✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

I'd be surprised if it wasn't....

Observation: I'm realizing how much a difference there is when it comes to listening to music on your computer and listening to it on your mp3 player w/ headphones. I just transferred viva la vida, violet hill etc. on to my mp3 player and while I'm listening I'm seeing how many details and subtleties I missed before. (I've noticed this before, especially when it comes to bass but listening to it right now I'm really rediscovering these songs.) Seriously, Viva la vida especially sounds so much better on the mp3 player.

Note to self: When I get the album, have the patience to get the songs on the mp3 player before listening to it all the way through.

OMG I know exactly what you mean!! I was listening to it the other night on my iPod...and it was amazing the minute details that I discovered...like the bells! The bells are beautiful in the song. :nice:

It's more epic-sounding when you hear it with earphones.

VLV is my favorite song ever (for now), with "life in technicolor" as a close second.

annie, when i hear "VLV," all i can think about is being in the netherlands and england this summer too! i don't really think of christmas because i won't be there then, but it just paints this picture of europe for me, especially europe in the 1700s.

two random thoughts:

1. yesterday, as i was driving home from college (seven hours :angry: and missing all the happenings in the coldplay world), my brother texted me and said "dude, they're playing coldplay in the mall right now." i kind of got really excited and thought that he meant "violet hill" or even "VLV," so i called him asking which one it was. and he was like "ummm, it was just 'speed of sound.'" while it's still cute that he texted to tell me...he got me all excited for nothing! i thought violet hill had finally made it to america.

2. last night at 3AM, when i had finally calmed down enough over all the coldplay excitement, i burned a CD which has the 5 new coldplay songs on it and crept out of my room to leave it in front of my mom's bedroom door so she could listen on her way to work today. she called me during her lunchbreak to tell me, and i quote: "that first song blew. me. the fuck. away. and that just doesn't happen to me on first listens!" (the first song was "viva la vida;" she thought it was called "when i ruled the world"). i had to do a little dance when she said that. she really likes coldplay, but ever since i started loving them three years ago, it seems she gets a bit bored by them just because i play them so much. but today she was gushing about the song just as much as we do on here, and i've NEVER heard her do that about a song that wasn't by pearl jam.

i really think this album will win converts from all over the planet. i know X&Y did that, but i think VLV(OD...?) will finally make them respectable in every venue and more widely liked. i hope it silences all those "you know how i know you're gay? you listen to coldplay" comments etc etc.

after listening to "lost!/?" and "life in technicolor" last night and falling absolutely in love with them, i've decided that i ever see any of the guys on the street or somewhere like that, i'm not going to be able to keep my cool and just say "thank you for all that you've done," i'm going to have to be restrained from hugging the living crap out of them.

wow, so that was a long bunch of random thoughts :laugh4:

^Ok now take a deep breath.

Anyway, I just realized I might be the only person in this forum that refuses to:

1. Keep listening to Violet Hill

2. Listen to Viva La Vida for more than a 30 sec clip

3. Listen to Lost!, Lost?, or Lost

4. Listen to or see video of Life In Technicolour

5. Pre-order the album

You may say Im not a true fan, but with the other albums I listened to all the songs for the first time together (I had heard Yellow once before buying Parachutes). And Im extremely superstitious (I know its "Only superstition" its "Only my imagination") but I think if I listen to VLV and/or DAAHF differently I might not like it as much. I feel like if I listen to the songs too much now, Ill get bored of them by the time I get the album. I want to get all the songs at the same time and listen to them in the order Coldplay put them together, because theyre obviously good at putting together albums.

^Ok now take a deep breath.

Anyway, I just realized I might be the only person in this forum that refuses to:

1. Keep listening to Violet Hill

2. Listen to Viva La Vida for more than a 30 sec clip

3. Listen to Lost!, Lost?, or Lost

4. Listen to or see video of Life In Technicolour

5. Pre-order the album

You may say Im not a true fan, but with the other albums I listened to all the songs for the first time together (I had heard Yellow once before buying Parachutes). And Im extremely superstitious (I know its "Only superstition" its "Only my imagination") but I think if I listen to VLV and/or DAAHF differently I might not like it as much. I feel like if I listen to the songs too much now, Ill get bored of them by the time I get the album. I want to get all the songs at the same time and listen to them in the order Coldplay put them together, because theyre obviously good at putting together albums.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of as well. Like you, I was lucky enough to hear 2/3 of their albums as a whole (and hearing a bad quality rip of a leaked version of X&Y, which doesn't really count for me) from start to finish without previously overplaying a specific number of songs from those two albums. And you know what? I just can't think of a better way of listening to an album. This is why I hope and pray that Coldplay don't go and release 42 on the 21st, because by that time i would have heard 4 songs songs of the album, plus the acoustic version of 'Lost'. Because unlike you, unfortunately don't have the will power to decide NOT to listen to a leaked song. I just hope they have the common sense NOT to do that, one because I'll listen to it one way or the other, and two because I find it very strange that a band would want to release 3 different singles before the release of the album.

Now if the WHOLE album is leaked AT ONCE, then I don't really have a problem with that. Because then I'll be able to hear all of the songs in the context of the album, which is (in my opinion) what makes the songs that little bit more special.

All I'm saying is that I'm not keen on the idea of releasing an album bit by bit, song by song... taking what Chris said in the NME interview into consideration (when he said the album plays out like a story, its supposed to be listened to from start to finish as a whole, etc), then that really is like releasing a novel by giving away its chapters randomly (and in a random order)... which makes no sense, right?

Maybe the problem isn't all these song leaks, but be complete inability from restaining myself from listening to them. Argh.

Rant over :P

^All you have to do is find some other great music to distact you. For me, Im rediscovering Dave Matthews Band and finding a lot of great songs I never knew about cuz Im keeping my mind off of Coldplay. Try that, it keeps you away from over-listening, plus you may find a new band to love.

I've heard all Violet hill, viva la vida, a spell a rebel yell, and lost! (acoustic version). Because A. To my knowledge they were all released through legitimate circumstances and B. Because I really only see them as two songs. ASARY and lost! don't really count because they're b-sides, not on the album meaning that I don't feel I'm losing anything by listening to them.

As for the other two songs, the band obviously encouraged us to hear violet hill because it is a single, actively played on the radio and is virtually unavoidable. I felt a similar sensation when it came to viva la vida. But although I still listen to them from time to time, I will not listen to Life In Technicolor or any other track from album under any circumstances, even if the band were to encourage it. Even now I feel that I've somehow heard too much. These tracks will hold me over until the album. I'd hate to know what the first few notes will sound like.

my mom tends to blast music in the car so loud that i can hear it when she pulls into the garage and i'm on the same side of the house. well, today i was in a room on that side of the house when she came home from work...and what was she blasting? "viva la vida"!! :D
Oh my god, thats awesome! :P

Unfortunately my parents are no where near as cool as that... neither do they really blast out music in their cars or really listen to Coldplay :dozey:. They're damn lucky they have me to enlighten them! :lol:

^Well yeah, he does like those bands, but he hardly listens to them now... like ever. His musical taste is a lot more... eclectic nowadays. But I suppose can't really say he's not cool in that sense, since he introduced me to Coldplay! I would probably be musically lost if it weren't for him, haha.

I'll try to get MY mum to listen to VLV when i can, since she wasnt digging Violet Hill, and said she liked their older stuff better (she's only heard what songs they put out on the radio most likely). I hope that song will convert her :D

i just read all of the posts about listening to songs early and spoiling the album and now i feel depressed! :cry:

i've played the hell out of all 5 tracks (except 'rebel') and it's always been in the back of my mind that i was spoiling the album. but like you zemy i have no self control when it comes to this stuff. but i'm REALLY strongly considering not listening to any of the new stuff untill june 17 (US release date). that way, even if it's not completely fresh, it will at least feel good to listen to them after not listening for a long time. good luck to me, right? if i do it, i will start at midnight tomorrow (so technically monday) because then i can keep track on my last.fm charts and make sure there are no listens. hmm i'll have to think it over tomorrow and see if it's worth it.....

i feel the same way, i guess. i feel bad that i've listened to VLV about 70 times (in four days), VH 60 times (in 11 days), and LIT 10 times (in one day), because i feel like the overplaying to the point of bordem with them is imminent. but i just can't resist! they're too good! and basically the only things tiding me over until mid june. i just don't have that sort of self control with coldplay.

and as much as i crave new material (even more now that we've heard such AMAZING things from them), i do kind of know what everyone means when they say they hope nothing else leaks. when chris described the album like a film in the NME article, something that has to be listened to start to finish, i totally got it and realized that all this leaking etc might not be a good thing. part of me just says keep giving us stuff and letting tracks leak just so we can hear it, for heaven's sake, and then i'll piece all the tracks together in the right order once we have them all, but if i'm just going to overplay them, then it won't be the same at ALL.

as grateful as i am for the tracks that we've gotten, both released and leaked, i kind of wish that coldplay would have given us two songs that were not going to be on the album. in that way, they'd kill three birds with one stone and give us what we've been so dying for (new music), not spoil the surprise of the album as one piece of art rather than a collection of songs, and give us the tracks that i'm worried we'll never hear otherwise. i mean, i figure that if those tracks were serious contenders for the album, as they seem to have been, i figure they're worthy of being released by the band's standards. of course, they have very good reasons for releasing what they did, but i just so want those tracks that didn't make it on the album too! perhaps that's why i have a soft spot for the conspiracy theory regarding a double-album...

I'm trying to convince my mom to come see Coldplay with me in June...

I think it'll be a great bonding experience! She always makes fun of me for being obsessed with Coldplay, so I want her to see where all the love comes from... :P

Guest Grace

there was this coldplay videography on MTV yesterday (re-run is today at 20:00! :nice:) and i watched it with my mum. and when "In My Place" came on she said,"ahhh! that's their most famous one, right? that's a nice tune... really beautiful."

HAHAHA.

omg, i know she's always been a fan secretly, but she admitted that she liked coldplay for the first time.

and she was humming along to "The Scientist" later on.

today my friend called me the second she got out of her art exam to share a coldplay moment. i turned this friend on to "VLV," which she loves to DEATH, and she gushes about as much as we all do on here. anyway, one of the essay questions on her art exam was "imagine a painting and describe it" (which is really a very hard question, when you think about it). so what she did is she imagined a painting based on the lyrics of "VLV"!! it had to do with the french revolution, she said, and she didn't have a lot of time to explain it, but it made me happy that she incorprated coldplay on an exam :nice:

(now if only i could have a question to do that on!!)

aaaand my mom is currently whistling "VLV" in the kitchen :D

my mom asked me to evaluate some 3rd graders essays and out of 5 teacher folders she gave me one with the teachers name BERRYMAN

i was like "mom how come this always happens to me..coldplay is everywhere!!"

and my mom knows my obsession with coldplay :D

my lil brother is somewhat into coldplay.

btw my mom isn't a teacher lol

my family secretcly loves coldplay.

my mom loves violet hill, yellow, clocks, speed of sound and VIVA LA VIDA

estoy bien contento con el titulo!