✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Seen that clip of Chris Martin performing Clocks. He sings so well it's unreal!! I mean I watched one live performance recently with the whole band and it was obviously very enjoyable but I mean Chris Martin it almost seemed like was all over the place at some points! He was much better in this performance... goes to show what not jumping around all over the place can do for the actual performance :wink2:

Then again, their newer songs are kind of meant to be bounced around all over the place to. It's Clocks, it's an oldplay song that doesn't need him bouncing around all over the place and barely being able to catch his breath! It's truly amazing what he can do when he just remains... calm.

This isn't meant to be your typical Newplay bashing post btw. Please don't take it that way!! I still love the new Coldplay concerts no matter what. Just an observation and honest thoughts! :)

EDIT: One thing though we know for sure because of the minor mistakes he still makes: It isn't lip synced like most pop acts nowadays. :D

After having it for a few months, I've only just realised that my microwavable Elephant is slightly like the Paradise elephant:

4d57e1f5a49945ffa1ac9717c552faab.jpg

Made me think of our champion, Will [emoji173]:

94f8ac65f5843f211a3d1f08bbc1b22f.jpg

x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Coldplaying mobile app

Microwavable elephant?!! What?! How does that work?

• Like 3

Today's coldception :)[ATTACH=full]5946[/ATTACH]

If only your battery had decreased by 6% more. ;)

I'm not too sure how A Rush is really "experimental" as you claim... it's obviously a very good album but I couldn't see it being totally experimental you know...

And I'd say even Mylo had a fair bit of experimentation, there are a lot of elements in those songs that were never found even in the mainstream music of 2011/12!

And I'd even go as far as to say AHFOD is slightly experimental, I mean take the title track even with the bells, Birds obviously, the alternative R&B elements of HFTW, etc.. No doubt it's a pop oriented album but there's definetely something a little more diverse than your completely typical pop album.

Just my thoughts!

You hit the nail on the head. AROBTTH is only "experimental" because the band didn't want it to sound just like its predecessor. MX is definitely experimental... no other "pop rock" band at the time sounded quite like it. And listen to the kinda ambient stuff they did on Up With The Birds, that's definitely experimental in my book. :nodding: As for AHFOD, several of those tracks are experimental (though at a lesser degree than MX). As much as X Marks The Spot is loathed by a lot of people, even it should count as an experiment in itself.

• Like 2

You hit the nail on the head. AROBTTH is only "experimental" because the band didn't want it to sound just like its predecessor. MX is definitely experimental... no other "pop rock" band at the time sounded quite like it. And listen to the kinda ambient stuff they did on Up With The Birds, that's definitely experimental in my book. :nodding: As for AHFOD, several of those tracks are experimental (though at a lesser degree than MX). As much as X Marks The Spot is loathed by a lot of people, even it should count as an experiment in itself.

I completely agree with what you've said. I don't want to hate on AROBTTH beacuse it's still very good but really you're right about it. (That being said I'm not sure how many bands could do AROBTTH as well as Coldplay have done it :P) I believe Mylo is actually quite experimental as well. I mean, yes, very pop rock, but if you listen closely there's just so much going on that wasn't there even with the style of music at the time! A blend of elements that sounds fresh and new when combined with more mainstream type music... one of the many reasons why Mylo is my favorite album till this day. On Up With The Birds I completely agree, that is in my opinion the best track that has been written and will be written. I love how unique it sounds, there's not one song I consider to be just like it. It packs the best emotional punch out of any song I think I've ever heard, which is likely the main reason why I rate it as my favorite song ever. But the song structure is unconventional, it has ambient influences along with the second part which is more rock based, I mean it's crazy how different they sound when you think about it, how they were able to stick those two ideas together into one song... and make it sound amazing. As for AHFOD I agree with that as well! I personally am not a fan of XMTS and really it should have been left as a B-side (which Coldplay seemed to have forgotten about) but I can admit it's something new for Coldplay that they've tried. Even in the hip hop genre it's a unique track! Like that they're still stepping out of their comfort zone. AHFOD is just the poppier alternative to MX I think. Still with elements that you wouldn't normally find (I like Kaleidoscope as well, that kind of falls into the same category) but just combined with a more pop feel this time. :)

EDIT: With all of these things being said it feels like ever since Viva they've been trying new things. Taking influences from ambient style music and using effects not normally found in mainstream music, and then combining those with more mainstream style music to give a kind of a blend between the two, ya know? You can still appreciate it if you're just a normal music lover but you can also appreciate the unique stuff they've tried with each track. I think Brian Eno is just what they needed, and what started that unique line of music for Coldplay... we have our rock from Oldplay and their new kind of more unique style of music today! :D

• Like 1

:omgomg:I FINALLY had my Coldplay moment. i was watching news on tv an all of a sudden freaking LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR ii started playing! it was only a 5 second intro but i most definitely lost my shit :laugh4:

I know - it totally takes over your brain cells when you unexpectedly hear a CP song in the background or as an intro - all concentration is focused on their sound..... a wonderful little moment in mundane life ! :dazzled:

• Like 2

Every now and then just have a listen to GS songs again. I've just listened to 'O'.... OMG how poor Chris suffered in those sad break-up times. It just rips my heart out. I was SOOOOOOO privileged to have attended the GS concert in the Albert Hall (London). It was sad enough , but more so now, as we've all come through it with him, and then revisit the songs......... phew ! :cry:,

• Like 5

I'm not too sure how A Rush is really "experimental" as you claim... it's obviously a very good album but I couldn't see it being totally experimental you know...

And I'd say even Mylo had a fair bit of experimentation, there are a lot of elements in those songs that were never found even in the mainstream music of 2011/12!

And I'd even go as far as to say AHFOD is slightly experimental, I mean take the title track even with the bells, Birds obviously, the alternative R&B elements of HFTW, etc.. No doubt it's a pop oriented album but there's definetely something a little more diverse than your completely typical pop album.

Just my thoughts!

I guess I should reword my original statement to something more simple. They simply make better things at every other (or even number) album. Chris was at the top of his game in terms of lyricism during the AROBTTH era. X&Y was certainly more "ordinary" when compared to the rest of their discography. They made an extraordinary art rock/baraque pop album with VLVODAAHF. With Mylo Xyloto, they focused more on pop and "getting on the radio" or so to speak (even if there was some experimentation involved). Excluding ASFOS, they didnt care about this with Ghost Stories and made some great ambient music. For AHFOD, they came back to pop and "getting on the radio" once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can now add a tiny bit of Paradise to my tiny bit of piano knowledge :D

Sent from my A0001 using Coldplaying mobile app

I recently added "Homecoming" to my bank of knowledge. It was funny because I sat down and thought I already knew it but when the track came on I drew a blank. But it's pretty short so it didn't take very long to get it.

• Like 2

Seen that clip of Chris Martin performing Clocks. He sings so well it's unreal!! I mean I watched one live performance recently with the whole band and it was obviously very enjoyable but I mean Chris Martin it almost seemed like was all over the place at some points! He was much better in this performance... goes to show what not jumping around all over the place can do for the actual performance :wink2:

Then again, their newer songs are kind of meant to be bounced around all over the place to. It's Clocks, it's an oldplay song that doesn't need him bouncing around all over the place and barely being able to catch his breath! It's truly amazing what he can do when he just remains... calm.

This isn't meant to be your typical Newplay bashing post btw. Please don't take it that way!! I still love the new Coldplay concerts no matter what. Just an observation and honest thoughts! :)

EDIT: One thing though we know for sure because of the minor mistakes he still makes: It isn't lip synced like most pop acts nowadays. :D

Microwavable elephant?!! What?! How does that work?

It's like a hot water bottle except instead of putting hot water in it, you microwave it. It's hard to describe it but it's like a beanbag type thing [emoji4] x

• Like 1

Ah thanks:) Maybe the search function just didn't work.

Yeah, sometimes it glitches out...

I guess I should reword my original statement to something more simple. They simply make better things at every other (or even number) album. Chris was at the top of his game in terms of lyricism during the AROBTTH era. X&Y was certainly more "ordinary" when compared to the rest of their discography. They made an extraordinary art rock/baraque pop album with VLVODAAHF. With Mylo Xyloto, they focused more on pop and "getting on the radio" or so to speak (even if there was some experimentation involved). Excluding ASFOS, they didnt care about this with Ghost Stories and made some great ambient music. For AHFOD, they came back to pop and "getting on the radio" once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, that makes a little more sense. That may be your opinion, seeing as you like the 2 4 and 6 albums better than the 3 5 and 7 albums. I still like Mylo the best, but I do agree that it was more pop oriented and some songs might have been partially written to get on radio, even if I do like it better than Viva :D I like to think of Mylo as the more colorful counterpart to Viva, they almost link together in a way like that just as like Ghost Stories and A Head Full Of Dreams, interesting... For me, both feel extraordinary in the way they are.

I wouldn't call Ghost Stories an "ambient" album, more a dark stripped down synthpop kind of deal which I really dig! Although if you're talking about the overall soundscapes, I do agree, it feels quite ambient and feels like it should be listened to on a winter night. :D Midnight is unbelievable, it sounds like something from Mylo Xyloto without the color, without the added obvious beats and having the ambient side turned wayyyyy up. What do you get? Midnight! :D I agree on AHFOD more so, there are experimental elements within the songs but overall this is the era it feels like they're most trying to get on the radio with. And hey, they kinda suceeded with HFTW. I personally don't hear it a lot on the radio, someone I know told me they heard it in a store recently but that's about it. They said that the song got kind of big. I don't doubt it seeing as it's got much more views than ASFOS already :D So yeah. Thanks for clarifying, your statement makes a little more sense now! :D

I can now add a tiny bit of Paradise to my tiny bit of piano knowledge :D

Wow, I learned the beginning quite a while ago. Never got around to learning the whole thing! Don't know if I ever will, seeing as learning a song you really like takes away the magic of it for a while since you know every part of it inside out, until later when things start to settle down :D And I want Paradise to remain a favorite of mine. I'm pretty sure it still will. Just that if you overplay something or think about something too much, it'll get burnt out. Like with what happened with Viva la Vida because I loved that song so much back when I was young, I played it like 20 times a day at least. Burnt out of that, but still liked it. Simply wasn't the same after a while (now it's gotten back to that level of enjoyment though thankfully... :D)

It's like a hot water bottle except instead of putting hot water in it, you microwave it. It's hard to describe it but it's like a beanbag type thing [emoji4] x

Hmm... still not too sure what you mean. What's the point of microwaving it? Is it meant to keep it warm, just like a hot water bottle I'm assuming (I don't know much about that either)? Still sounds pretty cool!

• Like 2

Okay, that makes a little more sense. That may be your opinion, seeing as you like the 2 4 and 6 albums better than the 3 5 and 7 albums. I still like Mylo the best, but I do agree that it was more pop oriented and some songs might have been partially written to get on radio, even if I do like it better than Viva :D I like to think of Mylo as the more colorful counterpart to Viva, they almost link together in a way like that just as like Ghost Stories and A Head Full Of Dreams, interesting... For me, both feel extraordinary in the way they are.

I wouldn't call Ghost Stories an "ambient" album, more a dark stripped down synthpop kind of deal which I really dig! Although if you're talking about the overall soundscapes, I do agree, it feels quite ambient and feels like it should be listened to on a winter night. :D Midnight is unbelievable, it sounds like something from Mylo Xyloto without the color, without the added obvious beats and having the ambient side turned wayyyyy up. What do you get? Midnight! :D I agree on AHFOD more so, there are experimental elements within the songs but overall this is the era it feels like they're most trying to get on the radio with. And hey, they kinda suceeded with HFTW. I personally don't hear it a lot on the radio, someone I know told me they heard it in a store recently but that's about it. They said that the song got kind of big. I don't doubt it seeing as it's got much more views than ASFOS already :D So yeah. Thanks for clarifying, your statement makes a little more sense now! :D

Tbh all coldplay albums feel extraordinary in a way to me. You can tell they always put their everything into it. But some of course might feel more experimental and less mainstream.

But I honestly love every album so much for what it is. I always try to think of one of their albums that I might like least but it's just impossible cause there always is a situation it's just perfect for. (Though I do have a favorite)

I don't listen to much radio cause I can't stand most music from the charts but they play the singles from AHFOD all the time here! I pretty much only listen to the radio when I'm in the car but even in the short time the chance to hear a coldplay song is pretty high!

• Like 1

Man I owe Coldplaykb on YouTube a big one! From not playing piano to being able to play The Scientist like 80% is amazing. Even though it's not very complicated I'm having huge amounts of fun

he used to be on here, i think :thinking:

but like many moons ago, during the VIVA era of course :P

• Like 2

Tbh all coldplay albums feel extraordinary in a way to me. You can tell they always put their everything into it. But some of course might feel more experimental and less mainstream.

But I honestly love every album so much for what it is. I always try to think of one of their albums that I might like least but it's just impossible cause there always is a situation it's just perfect for. (Though I do have a favorite)

I don't listen to much radio cause I can't stand most music from the charts but they play the singles from AHFOD all the time here! I pretty much only listen to the radio when I'm in the car but even in the short time the chance to hear a coldplay song is pretty high!

True! I can't pick out a least favorite anymore. I've been able to pick out a top 3 albums. But I simply can't decide for the 4 others where they should be! They all have a time and place to be listened to. Sometimes I feel like AHFOD is the worst, other days GS, other days Parachutes... just depends on the mood.

I wish the radio here did that...

• Like 2

he used to be on here, i think :thinking:

but like many moons ago, during the VIVA era of course :P

He did?! Wow I'd love to personally thank him! Idk why but opposed to other videos, his are just so easy to follow. And the more important thing, it's what Chris actually plays and not some weird version with the vocals translated to the piano

• Like 1