✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bob Dylan

Reilly

Bob Dylan and VERY Crappy Guests

Christ, I cant believe I sat through Damien Dempsy, Polly Puloca, GARY JULES, Paddy Casey, and tHE THRILLS OMG IT WAS SO BAD

And then, just as I was relieved to see Bob Dylan and his band take stage and the crowd give a standing ovation, 6 or 7 songs into it Bob's songs were getting very repetitive.He opened with a revised version of Maggies Farm, which was refreshing, but worse than the original song. Also, he stayed behind this stupid keyboard and I could hardly see the man, that seemed to also be most peoples complaint. For all I knew it may not have even been Bob.

I wanted to see him get out from behind the keyboard, and the big Amp and PA system which helped in obscurring everyones view of Dylan. We wanted to see him with a guitar, or dancing, or just standing and singing infront of the microphone, but we didnt get this. We wanted to see the entertainer, and he let us down.

BUT- the last 10 songs of his regular set had 3 or 4 beautiful songs, and songs in which you could actually hear Bob playing the keyboard (Before this he was just using Organ setting and keeping in key, it was pointless). Then the encore! He started playing more of what we wanted to hear, including Rolling Stone, which was incredible, we sang with him and the place just lit up. It was beautiful.

But I felt sorry for Bob, people were shouting at him originally to play his old classics, and god help him, he just wanted to do what he felt was right. It reminded me of when he changed to rock and roll attitude in the 60's and the crowd boo'ed him, this was the exact same.

Its not that I hated Dylans rock'n'roll set over the more preferred acoustic, its just that he was secondary to his band. I respect his band, their tight, but I came to see Dylan put on a show, and he only did that for me in the last crowd pleasing songs.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thrills were so funny because the lead singer was trying to, ROCK OUT, and they'd build up into the chorus, and he'd be like "Belfast! I want you to do one thing just one thing!.... SCREAM LIKE FUCKING MAD!- Are you gonna be, gonna be, still livin by the sea?"

It was woeful. :lol:

That stupid Gary Jules song.

Whatever the other guys called, something Andrews, he just rings up Gary Jules one day and hes like "Hey I just learned how to play this wicked song, wanna sing along to it?"

Then they make a video that costs about £8 and get a Christmas number one, bah.

we're talking about 'mad world' right? it was a christmas number one? i didn't know that.

it was never played on canadian radio or tv stations so i didn't have the opportunity to get sick of it. if i never saw donnie darko i wouldn't have known about it.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Is Bob Dylan Mystical...........

I have a feeling I'm going to get some responses that are not very friendly towards Bob Dylan. I know some people can't stand his music. Some unexplained thing how one likes or dislikes a song. But anyways yah I expect some negative responses.

But is there anyone who could agree with me? Or at least see maybe the possibility. Of Bob Dylan being mystical. I think Chris Martin had said similiar things about his music. Although I could be mistaken.

I guess I could give you the link to an interview on CBS that aired back on December 4, 2004. Let me know what you think. I find his answers very deep. Article of interview below. Link and text.

LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/02/60minutes/main658799.shtml

(CBS) This segment originally aired Dec. 5, 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no living musician who has been more influential than Bob Dylan.

Over a 43-year career, his distinctive twang and poetic lyrics have produced some of the most memorable songs ever written. In the '60s, his songs of protest and turmoil spoke to an entire generation.

While his life has been the subject of endless interpretation, Dylan has been largely silent. At 63, he wrote a memoir called "Chronicles, Volume One." Correspondent Ed Bradley got to sit down with this music legend in his first television interview in nearly 20 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylan is mysterious, elusive, fascinating – just like his music.

Over more than four decades, Dylan has produced 500 songs and more than 40 albums. Does he ever look back at the music he's written with surprise?

"I used to. I don't do that anymore. I don't know how I got to write those songs. Those early songs were almost magically written," says Dylan, who quotes from his 1964 classic, "It's Alright, Ma."

"Try to sit down and write something like that. There's a magic to that, and it's not Siegfried and Roy kind of magic, you know? It's a different kind of a penetrating magic. And, you know, I did it. I did it at one time."

Does he think he can do it again today? No, says Dylan. "You can't do something forever," he says. "I did it once, and I can do other things now. But, I can't do that."

Dylan has been writing music since he was a teenager in the remote town of Hibbing, Minn. He was the eldest of two sons of Abraham and Beatty Zimmerman.

How was his childhood? "I really didn't consider myself happy or unhappy," says Dylan. "I always knew that there was something out there that I needed to get to. And it wasn't where I was at that particular moment."

In his book, Dylan writes that he came alive at 19, when he moved to Greenwich Village in New York City – which at the time was the frenetic center of the '60s counterculture. Within months, Dylan had signed a recording contract with Columbia Records.

"You refer to New York as the capital of the world. But when you told your father that, he thought that it was a joke," says Bradley. "Did your parents approve of you being a singer-songwriter? Going to New York?"

"No. They wouldn't have wanted that for me. But my parents never went anywhere," says Dylan. "My father probably thought the capital of the world was wherever he was at the time. It couldn't possibly be anyplace else. Where he and his wife were in their own home, that, for them, was the capital of the world."

So what made Dylan different? What pushed him out there?

"I listened to the radio a lot. I hung out in the record stores. And I slam-banged around on the guitar and played the piano and learned songs from a world which didn't exist around me," says Dylan.

He says that he knew even then that he was destined to become a music legend. "I was heading for the fantastic lights," he writes. "Destiny was looking right at me and nobody else."

What does the word "destiny" mean to Dylan?

"It's a feeling you have that you know something about yourself - nobody else does - the picture you have in your mind of what you're about will come true," says Dylan. "It's kind of a thing you kind of have to keep to your own self, because it's a fragile feeling. And if you put it out there, somebody will kill it. So, it’s best to keep that all inside."

When Bradley asked Dylan why he changed his name from Robert Zimmerman, he said that was destiny, too. "Some people – you're born, you know, the wrong names, wrong parents. I mean, that happens," says Dylan. "You call yourself what you want to call yourself. This is the land of the free."

Dylan created a world inspired by old folk music, with piercing and poetic lyrics, in songs such as "A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall." These were songs that reflected the tension and unrest of the civil rights and anti-war movements of the '60s.

It was an explosive mixture that turned Dylan, by 25, into a cultural and political icon - playing to sold-out concert halls around the world, and followed by people wherever he went. Dylan was called the voice of his generation – and was actually referred to as a prophet, a messiah.

Yet Dylan says he saw himself simply as a musician: "You feel like an impostor when someone thinks you're something and you're not."

What was the image that people had of him? And what was the reality?

"The image of me was certainly not a songwriter or a singer," says Dylan. "It was more like some kind of a threat to society in some kind of way."

What was the toughest part for him personally? "It was like being in an Edgar Allan Poe story. And you're just not that person everybody thinks you are, though they call you that all the time," says Dylan. "'You're the prophet. You're the savior.' I never wanted to be a prophet or savior. Elvis maybe. I could easily see myself becoming him. But prophet? No."

He may not have seen himself as the voice of the '60s generation, but his songs were viewed as anthems that sparked a moment.

"My stuff were songs, you know? They weren't sermons," says Dylan. "If you examine the songs, I don't believe you're gonna find anything in there that says that I'm a spokesman for anybody or anything really."

"But they saw it," says Bradley.

"They must not have heard the songs," says Dylan.

"It's ironic, that the way that people viewed you was just the polar opposite of the way you viewed yourself," says Bradley.

"Isn't that something," says Dylan.

Dylan did almost anything to shatter the lofty image many people had of him. He writes that he intentionally made bad records, and once poured whiskey over his head in public.

He also writes that, as a stunt, he went to Israel and made a point of having his picture taken at the Wailing Wall wearing a skullcap. When he went to Israel, he writes that the newspapers changed him overnight into a Zionist. How did this help?