✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

THE REAL TITLE: "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends"

BostonSportsTD

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen already said this, I'm gonna say it again because I can though

Viva la Vida is translated to "Love Life" or something (forgot) but that's the positive and uplifting

Whilst "Death And All His Friends" is more pessimistic - negative

So it's the X&Y thing all over except about 100x longer this time around, meaning it's gonna be an album with uplifting and more meloncolic moments like every album should be.

Just Viva la Vida, or Death And All His Friends on thier own doesn't work. Otherwise they'll only show you one side of the album, and we all hope it's not going to be like that

Another very unlikely thought (probably wont happen but stranger things have happened) - double album? hence double title? it's not completely ruled out

I really like the title, if it is indead "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends." I thought "Viva La Vida" was a horrible title and "Death and All His Friends" was okay at best. But when you throw them together it creates something very unique. I like that it isn't a Coldplay-ish title, since I'm expecting this to not be a Coldplay-ish album. If this is the title, I'm really happy with it.

Also, to people conerned about the title being too long, just thank yourself it isn't as long as Fiona's Apple's second album title. Its better known as "When The Pawn..." but the actual title is :

"When the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king

What he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight

And he'll win the whole thing before he enters the ring

There's no body to batter when your mind is your might

So when you go solo, you hold your own hand

And remember that depth is the greatest of heights

And if you know where you stand, then you know where to land

And if you fall it won't matter, cuz you know that you're right"

Now that's a long title!

Ah, she did! Not as long as the Fiona Apple one though.

And of course Panic! At The Disco and Arctic Monkeys are no strangers to that type of thing either

That's right.

I told someone today the title of the new album and their response was "what, you can't put 'or' in an album title, who does that?"

My reaction was why can't you put 'or' in an album title and obviously the answer to "who does that?" is now coldplay.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I just hope the music is as original as the title.

I think it's great, very original and will definately stir up a lot of attention. It's brilliant how it shows one side of expressing life and the joy of it, and yet also showing an embracement of death almost.

Kinda reminds me of the X&Y idea.

Should be good, and I can't wait til it's released, but little steps first ey? ..I can't wait til the TRACKLISTING is released!!

two such contrasting titles!!:confused::confused: While, imo, 'Viva la Vida or Death and all his friends' is AWESOME...it signifies a move away from the colder sadder stuff most people know them for to something brighter, a crossroads if you will. While VLV is just 'BANG' right there and quite unexpected.

I think the title's going to be choosed from either of these two.

But if the title is VLVODAAHF, i hope there will be two separate discs in the album, one for the 'life' part and one for the 'death' part. Now thats Coldplay for you. I read it somewhere that there would be around 9 tracks, so maybe there would be 9 tracks on each disc. The guys were constantly saying that they were coming up with loads of songs, so maybe they decided not to leave out a few songs and instead put them all in. And that would even explain the fact that they were thinking about releasing two front line singles (one from each part!).

I know this is most probably not going to happen but there's no harm in fantasizing!

I think the title's going to be choosed from either of these two.

But if the title is VLVODAAHF, i hope there will be two separate discs in the album, one for the 'life' part and one for the 'death' part. Now thats Coldplay for you. I read it somewhere that there would be around 9 tracks, so maybe there would be 9 tracks on each disc. The guys were constantly saying that they were coming up with loads of songs, so maybe they decided not to leave out a few songs and instead put them all in. And that would even explain the fact that they were thinking about releasing two front line singles (one from each part!).

I know this is most probably not going to happen but there's no harm in fantasizing!

That notion of two discs is so coldplay, and I love it! But an 18 track LP is in no way coldplay, also we've heard all this approx. 40 min LP with a single released seperately.

However, maybe ur dream of two releases, VLV (Album) and Death and all his friends (as the the single to be released as the seperate single or EP) could come true that way...which would be just as sweet! :cool:

^Loved that post, seriously.

this has to be one of the best first posts ever. if we had a hall of fame, this would be my vote to go in it :laugh1:

I'm still laughing after reading it twice, the kidney thing had me in stitches.

Awwwwww such a cute post!! :nice: Bless you!

This forum needs a hall of fame, cuz that would go in it :laugh3:

Awww shucks! You guyyyyyys! :) Bless!

Thanks for the love!

Has no one around here EVER HEARD OF A SUBTITLE BEFORE!? :bomb:

You know, those old (and new) books where you have one title, and then a second smaller title that enhances, expands, or changes the meaning of the first title? Sometimes adds a humorous contradiction or, like in this case, a counter theme that makes both titles far more rich and complicated than either could ever be on their own. Mary Shelly's book

"Frankenstein

or the Modern Prometheus"

is a good example. I bet you didn't even know that it had a second title, did you? Or in a musical example, Sufjan Steven's song "Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!" Most people just call that "Decatur" because the "or" part is a subtitle.

Sorry for yelling, but this whining is really getting on my nerves.

It is a brilliant title dripping with meaning, and it gave me chills when I first saw it. Death in life and life in death. A theme that runs far back into mythology. It makes me think of that Mexican holiday- the day of the dead- where everything is so colourful and happy looking, but they're celebrating death- throwing a party for the dead, but it's all so alive. I wonder if they meant it to refer to that, since there's already a Mexican theme to the title...

Another example...

"The Hobbit"

or "There And Back Again"

Nice touch that all this talk about Life and Death is coming during Holy Week - don't know if that's a conscious decision by CJGW but it's perfect timing either way.

Coldplay Reveal New Album Details

43398.26122.x-news-coldplaysm.jpg

The Ricky Martin revival begins now

It's been well over a year since we last found cause to mention Coldplay in these pages, and whatever your feelings for the soft-rock Goliath, here we are again with our annual (not really) Coldplay roundup.

Coldplay have named the follow-up to 2005's X&Y, and according to the band's website it is called...wait for it...Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. WTF? To be fair, Chris Martin revealed the Frida Kahlo-inspired title to RollingStone.com recently as just Viva la Vida, and I'm sure the people marketing this thing will make sure that's the name that sticks.

The RollingStone.com report cites June 17 as the release date for Viva. As previously reported, Brian Eno helmed the producer's chair for Livin' la Viva la Vida. Joining him: Markus Dravs, who has worked with Björk and the Arcade Fire, among others.

The Coldplay boys claim they're finalizing the album tracklist right now, but they have revealed a bunch of track titles in various website dispatches, including "Lovers in Japan", "Strawberry Swing", "Famous Old Painters", "Glass of Water", "Lost!", "Cemeteries of London", "Violet Hill", "Poppy Fields", "42", "Yes!", "Leftrightleftrightleft", "Rainy Day", and "Prospekt's March". That said, Martin and the gang have also expressed a desire to keep their new album to nine tracks (and 42 minutes' length), so perhaps a bunch of these will wind up B-sides.

So, what can we look forward to musically? Offered the band on its website: "As you'd expect with Brian Eno, there's experimentation and exploration. But the music still has integrity. It's real and honest. There's no posturing or bombast."

Also: "The sights, sounds and flavours of Latin America and Spain have definitely been infused into this album...No maracas or castanets, but a vibrancy and colourfulness that owes much to the atmospheres of Buenos Aires and Barcelona. The effect is subtle but important."

Many a live show will no doubt follow, but for now Coldplay have just three: a spot at the inaugural Pemberton Festival in Canada and two appearances at Japan's Summer Sonic shindig.

Coldplay, meet hot summer:

07-27 Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival

08-09 Osaka, Japan - Maishima (Summer Sonic Festival)

08-10 Tokyo, Japan - Marine Stadium (Summer Sonic Festival)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47981-coldplay-reveal-new-album-details