✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

25-Jul-08: Philadelphia - Wachovia Center - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FS: 3 Coldplay tix in Philly

I have 3 Coldplay tix for Friday night's show at the Wachovia Center in Philly. They are in section 215, row 5. Selling the 3 for $250, tix were $80/piece. Will meet you in the lot. PM if interested.

[Article] Undergrad to open for Coldplay

b93t3s84.jpg

Check out Jonah Delso opening for Coldplay at the Wachovia Center July 25 at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available, so get them while you can and support your fellow Drexel peer as he takes on his biggest audience to date.

Every year, Drexel students repeatedly excel in academia-related competitions around the world, but this summer, one music industry junior has rocked-literally. Singer/songwriter Jonah Delso won a contest to open for the popular British group Coldplay July 25 at Philadelphia's Wachovia Center.

Delso submitted a video for his song "Elevator" through 93.3 WMMR's "Open for Coldplay" contest. Through an online voting process, Delso's music video was chosen as one of the top three contenders in the competition. From there, the members of Coldplay picked their favorite artist to play a 20-minute opening set to kick off the Philadelphia stop of their 2008 Viva La Vida Tour. Along with the performance, Delso received $2,000 and 10 tickets to the show for his friends and family members.

Following the announcement of his win, The Triangle sat down with Delso and his manager, Callie McGlone, to hear their reactions.

The Triangle: How does it feel to be the winner of 93.3 WMMR's "Open for Coldplay" contest?

Jonah Delso: It feels weird because I'm not really nervous about playing in front of people, but it feels weird to conceptualize the idea of playing in front of that many people. It's not a concept that I'm used to. I'm used to having a nice, quiet, small crowd in front of me and keeping that as my general audience. This is beyond anything I've ever played.

TT: How did you first find out about the contest? When did you enter?

JD: I forget when it was, but I heard [in the car] an advertisement for it on the radio. I usually don't even listen to the radio. I thought it was a cool thing to keep in the back of my head. And then I was on the computer one day, I checked it out and submitted it. It was really easy to do-that's why I did it.

TT: Did you do anything special or out of the ordinary to help promote the contest?

JD: Yeah, I used my manager Callie [McGlone]. She definitely helped me promote it. I found out on Sunday [July 13] morning and by Thursday, the voting ended and I needed to get the most votes. Callie and I used many resources. We went nuts.

Callie McGlone: On Monday, we went to an open mic night in Wayne and had friends hand out flyers. It was at a tiny coffee shop. Lots of people had computers. We asked them to vote online real quick. Then Jonah wore it [a flyer] on his shirt and just asked everyone to vote. I e-mailed Papadakis so he could e-mail all of the faculty. And then Larry [Epstein, Entertainment & Arts Management program director]. Basically any mailing list I had ever been on, I asked them to send the link around to others.

JD: A lot of it was sending it to people who you know would send it to other people. I've worked at a swim club my whole life. I knew to contact the one lady in charge of the mailing list. She sent an e-mail out not only to the swim team, swim club and swim members, but she sent it out to the public school district where I went to school. And it went to my kindergarten teacher, second grade teacher-everyone I ever knew in my life got this link to the WMMR site. That's how I got to where I am.

CM: And everyone knows who Coldplay is, so I think that really helped. Everyone thought it was such a great opportunity. It wasn't just some indie band that nobody's ever heard of-it's Coldplay.

TT: Let's go back to the beginning. When did you first begin playing an instrument and writing your own songs?

JD: I remember getting a guitar the Christmas of my eighth-grade year. That's pretty much when I started everything. I didn't take lessons or any kind of classes in school for music. I just really had a strong desire to teach myself and learn songs and tabs. From there, I've been pretty influenced to write my own songs. In the beginning, they really, really sucked. I kind of got better when I learned to record. That way I could hear myself back and learn how to improve.

TT: Who or what inspires you to write?

JD: I get an idea and just plug it in the back of my head. I hope that later I can remember it and just work from that idea, or rhyme, or phrase and start writing. My newer stuff now comes from simple phrases that embody an original idea and from there, I'll write off of that.

TT: Do you think you can compare your sound to anyone or do you strive to imitate any musicians?

JD: I feel pretty influenced by a wide range of styles. I'm a really big Cake fan, a really big Wilco fan, and a really big Pavement fan-I'd say they're my top three. I think I really try to make songs sound a little unexpected, but you're still able to get to the bottom of them. Stephen Malkmus from Pavement really inspired me to do that because the way he sings and the way he writes is really out there-almost from a different planet. I love Elliott Smith too, with the quiet, chill sound that is very, very dark. It provokes thought.

TT: Since the concert is on July 25, what are you doing to prepare? I'm sure this is the largest crowd you have ever played in front of-you are opening for one of the most popular rock bands of the time.

JD: It's insane. I happen to be really lucky because I have a pool of musicians at hand. I think my best bet is to use the band I'm in right now. I play with Callie's brother, Tim, who is a singer/songwriter. I was debating whether to use myself, or get a band together like my one group, The Goodnight Lights, or Tim's band. I had to decide; it was really hard but once I thought about it, it was really easy. Tim's band is perfect for this because it's already in a singer/songwriter set-up. All we'd have to do is switch the lineup, so that everyone would play my songs. It was a no-brainer to use these guys who are willing and ready to put everything into this. We just need to start practicing. I've never had a band behind me, so this is going to be interesting.

http://media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2008/07/25/ArtsEntertainment/Undergrad.To.Open.For.Coldplay-3394435.shtml

Hey Everyone! Show time!

I will be arriving at the Wachovia Center between 5:00 and 5:30 PM. I will be wearing a jacket designed around the style of jacket that Chris has been wearing at most of the shows on the Viva La Vida tour and will be carrying around two large green bags filled with the 4,000 signs I had printed. Jessica and I will be sitting in Section 113, Row 3, but if you see us running around the arena passing out signs, please stop and say hello and possibly grab a handful of signs.

For the people who are sitting on the floor, unfortunately I will not be able to meet you down on the floor itself considering that I don't have a floor ticket. If you run out of signs while passing them out on the floor, please stop by my section or look around the arena... you'll probably see me jumping from row to row.

If anyone has any questions, my cell phone number has been posted on most of the emails I sent out over the past couple of months. I hope everyone has a great time at the concert and I can't wait to see all of you!

Sincerely,

ColdplayJoe

P.S. -- I never received an email back from the Oxfam coordinator (:()

Hey joe and fellow sign gang members. I see the final design was sent out today. As much as I was hoping to participate in some way at least, I can't. I'm at work til 6:00 no break since we are short staffed. So that means no trip to kinkos. And work won't allow copies to be made here.

Chances are I won't see any of you as I will be getting there late. Sorry guys. I really am. :embarassed:

J.Marie

Coldplay invades Philly.

This is my Fourth show too. Baltimore HSFS Festival - Camden NJ Coors Light Ampitheater - Nassau Coliseum NY w/ Richard Ashcroft . Philly Wachovia- TO FREAKIN NIGHT !!!!!!!!!! I'm pysched . I hope I wont' be the only one yellin out " Cemetaries of London " They've got to roll it out of the Life in Technicolor opener . They roll together so well.. Looks like they've been doing " Yes " . pretty steadily . My request for older , off the wall is going to be , " Daylight " and " MOSES". I was obviously watching the 2003 Live DVD last nite . I have a whole list of stuff , but I better keep it simple . Chris can sing MOSES to his Son. I got your message Jasmyne , We'll be looking for you and your mum.( You gotta remember I was singin w Chris Martin last nite ( The DVD) hence the brogue ) I hope I get a sign , I never got the return E-mail . I'm coming down out of the mountains ( Pocono's ) to party with the best Band in the WORLD. So Let's Rock and Roll Philly.. !!!!! Joey.

Coldplay Sign Gang Members:

I have received an email back from Pete at Oxfam. We might be able to say that we are with Oxfam if we have trouble getting through security. Nothing is certain right now, so please keep checking your email or the forum. We might be passing out fliers or something from Oxfam while also handing out our Coldplay Sign Gang signs. Again, nothing is certain right now... take all of this with a grain of salt.

I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

ColdplayJoe

I have 3 Coldplay tix for Friday night's show at the Wachovia Center in Philly. They are in section 215, row 5. Selling the 3 for $250, tix were $80/piece. Will meet you in the lot. PM if interested.

Tickets are SOLD