✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [original date 04-aug]

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There were plenty of empty seats in the 300's on Tuesday night, that's for sure"

Actually, according to Pollstar, both nights were sold out, so I'm not sure what this is about. I was on the floor so I couldn't really see the 300's that much myself. I do know that a large percentage of fans in the nosebleeds are being moved to the front floor rows on this tour, so perhaps that's the reson why "plenty" of upper seats were empty (if indeed they were:thinking:)...

It doesn't really make sense for that to be the case here anyway as the Wednesday show was an ADDED date, as in added due to DEMAND. Why would they add a 2nd date if the first show wasn't sold out? Excuse me if I take your comments with a dose of skeptisism...:dozey:

As for the "sucky" performance/setlist, I've now seen the band 6 times (going all the way back to 2001), and these two nights in Chicago were BY FAR the best I've ever seen them live. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I really don't see how anyone could consider these shows "bad", unless the issue is that you don't like the new songs, inb which case the show will be bad for you no matter what they do.

As to the setlist, I think they essentially HAD to repeat themselves if indeed they were filming a full length concert film. It's not that uncommon for bands to film two nights so that they have more material from which to fashion a finished product. U2 did the same thing when I saw them two nights at the UC in 2005.

BINGO! Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

If people didn't like the show, then fine. If you think Coldplay owed you something more, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

:)

Whether a guy takes a 2 minute break and walks behind stage and sips off a water bottle or not does not make it special or unplanned to me Mike. My point is that Green Eyes had been played in Vegas a couple nights prior thus losing its specialness or uniqueness to Chicago. They also played 2 encores at the 2nd show at the Forum. Also, played another song after DAAHF in Vegas. The second show in Chicago did get a minute of a new song, cheers.

I mean really why are people using the word unplanned here? Its not like the guys were backstage taking their trousers off and said to each other, "Wow, wait a minute guys, the fans are really clapping louder than we've heard anywhere else on tour thus far. Lets go out and give 'em one more song! How 'bout it fellas!?!? **Group high Five**" Its a little rediculous to me.

Yeah and according to Cubs.com or ticketmaster every cubs game is sold out after the first day tickets go on sale so go figure what pollstars info is worth. And FYI, it was the Tuesday show that was added, not the wednesday I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was in section 201 in the club level and had a decent view of the joint. I thought it would've been fuller lets put it that way. And also the low prices people were able to get outside the arena and from craigslist is what I am gauging demand by.

I didnt think the show was "bad" either. Just a dissappointment from last years thats all (and lasts years were amongst the best shows I've ever been to, especially in Noblesville, IN where I was fortunate enough to get pit tickets through the fanclub presale, which no longer exist apparently).

Well the thing is... every other stop in this tour so far, they have stuck with the written, planned set list. Did they do that in Chicago? NO, they have NEVER come back on stage to play after DAAHF. What is your lame excuse for that? It was a fake setlist to fool the fans? Give me a break.

BINGO! Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

If people didn't like the show, then fine. If you think Coldplay owed you something more, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

:)

You've got to be kidding me right? You mean to tell me that they have to do the songs in the order becuase of the DVD filimg??? Like they arent going to edit and cut it to hell in the editing room???

So when did Coldplay come back on stage after Death And All his Friends this tour? And play another song, let alone a new one that has not been recorded yet? Did you watch the videos at all when Chris and Will come back on? Have you seen the written setlist for the nights? Obviously not. Please find a different thread to bitch in

Just adding some perspective Mikey-boy. What are you even talking about? Did you write the set-lists or something? Are you tour manager? Or just offical messageboard enforcer?

Well what would it matter if the songs were in a different order? They had to have the lighting sequence the same so the camera guys would know what was going on.

I never should have said anything. They could've come out and played Yellow 14 times in a row and I would've been happy. It was my first Coldplay gig and no one could say anything to diminish two of the best nights of my life.

End of story.

Just adding some perspective Mikey-boy. What are you even talking about? Did you write the set-lists or something? Are you tour manager? Or just offical messageboard enforcer?

No actually Ang, Lori and Mel got it and I stand by what the biggest Coldplay fans in Chicago that night said was on it

asnigro-

perhaps the tone of my older post was harsher then I would have liked, I'm just getting a bit peeved at people who have signed up here just to b&%ch about things without offering any kind of reason. After reading a few of of you posts, it's clear to me you are not one of these people.

That said, I still must take issue with a few things you've said.

"Yeah and according to Cubs.com or ticketmaster every cubs game is sold out after the first day tickets go on sale so go figure what pollstars info is worth. "

Yes but the key differnce in these situations is that both the Cubs and Ticketmaster have a direct financial stake in inflating ticket sales news. Pollstar on the other hand is an impartial organization that simply reports numbers, and has a reputation for accuracy in doing so.

"And FYI, it was the Tuesday show that was added, not the wednesday I believe, please correct me if I'm wro g.n"

Actually, I must admit I could be wrong on this. If you are right, it lends credence to the possibility that the added show wasn't sold out. (though I still maintain that independant sources claim it was)

"And also the low prices people were able to get outside the arena and from craigslist is what I am gauging demand by."

Don't pay attention to such things myself so I wouldn't know. Still even for a hugely popular band two nights at the UC (one of the highest capacity U.S, arenas is a tough gig to sell out completely.)

Also, I'm aware that the text style of this post went weird halfway through, not sure why and am too lazy to change it...

I so wish I had gotten to meet them, I'm so envious (cept I'm a guy so in a no homo way, but not rlly)! Being so close to them during the concert made them seem so much larger than life.

I felt the same way dude. After DAAHF, when the band came over to face the 120 side and they looked at us I got the chills and weirdest feeling that they are more than just rock stars

As a longtime Coldplay, these were the best 2 nights of my year. Nevertheless, I wished they had played some more "intimate" (or at least less poppish) songs: A Rush of Blood to the Head, See You Soon, Amsterdam, Spies, etc. It probably would not have mattered though, because there were a lot of non-fans at the United Center. I felt like the only person in the venue who knew the words to Yes!, Strawberry Swing, and Death and All of His Friends. Furthermore, I don't even think people there new the words to the hits. The sing-along's were embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows both nights. Yet, the cameras, lame ticketholders, over-sized venue, repetitive setlists (same set list each night), arranged seating, etc. made the event seem like a Las Vegas-type production as opposed to a personal concert for fans.

As a longtime Coldplay, these were the best 2 nights of my year. Nevertheless, I wished they had played some more "intimate" (or at least less poppish) songs: A Rush of Blood to the Head, See You Soon, Amsterdam, Spies, etc. It probably would not have mattered though, because there were a lot of non-fans at the United Center. I felt like the only person in the venue who knew the words to Yes!, Strawberry Swing, and Death and All of His Friends. Furthermore, I don't even think people there new the words to the hits. The sing-along's were embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows both nights. Yet, the cameras, lame ticketholders, over-sized venue, repetitive setlists (same set list each night), arranged seating, etc. made the event seem like a Las Vegas-type production as opposed to a personal concert for fans.

That's the problem you run into with success. And yes, I agree no one was singing to yes which was depressing cause its such a good song

I mean really why are people using the word unplanned here? Its not like the guys were backstage taking their trousers off and said to each other, "Wow, wait a minute guys, the fans are really clapping louder than we've heard anywhere else on tour thus far. Lets go out and give 'em one more song! How 'bout it fellas!?!? **Group high Five**" Its a little rediculous to me.

I can't tell you about Chicago shows because I wasn't there. But I can assure you that you've just described what Chris and Jonny did last year in Brazil. They came back to play Shiver just because the crowd was asking. And the song hasn't been in the setlist for a long time. So don't come and say they don't do this kind of thing. That's why I wasn't surprised they've done it AGAIN.