✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [original date 04-aug]

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My live audio recording has been posted on Dime. The direct link to the show is http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=206752. You will need to register to download the show. They limit the number of accounts on this site, so you may not be able to get one right away. However, the system cleans accounts every 10 minutes, so just keep trying. I post all of my live recordings at this site, because I think it's the best.

My recording sounds pretty good. It was recorded from the main floor, several rows in front of the soundboard. It's in FLAC format.

My live audio recording has been posted on Dime. The direct link to the show is http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=206752. You will need to register to download the show. They limit the number of accounts on this site, so you may not be able to get one right away. However, the system cleans accounts every 10 minutes, so just keep trying. I post all of my live recordings at this site, because I think it's the best.

My recording sounds pretty good. It was recorded from the main floor, several rows in front of the soundboard. It's in FLAC format.

Thank you! Can't you just as easily put it on a site without registration let alone one you have to wait til slots come open ?

Just got back to Columbus after my awesome two day trip to the windy city. And all I can say is wow... how did it go so fast? Awesome city, and AWESOME show.

It is funny, I was one that was worried about backtracking and stuff, but at the show, none of that bs matters, it is just the energy and thrill of the concert flowing through your veins that makes it truly amazing.

OK I'm sorting through all my stuff and starting to up load. My pics aren't all that great but I shot some great video. I had an idea for starting threads for each stop on the tour in the MM section just for our pics, videos and audio so I will post all my stuff in that forum as it gets loaded.

The first night I couldn't see just I just raised my camera as high as I could and shot a lot of video so I have several complete songs. Second night I have several complete songs but that video camera crane arm keeps swings through all my shots. :angry:

OK I'm sorting through all my stuff and starting to up load. My pics aren't all that great but I shot some great video. I had an idea for starting threads for each stop on the tour in the MM section just for our pics, videos and audio so I will post all my stuff in that forum as it gets loaded.

The first night I couldn't see just I just raised my camera as high as I could and shot a lot of video so I have several complete songs. Second night I have several complete songs but that video camera crane arm keeps swings through all my shots. :angry:

So where can I find the videos????

Wow. I went to the second show and it was pretty phenomonal... I had a feeling that they'd play most of the songs they did.

I think it was freaking hilarious when Chris improvised during 42 at the end.

Some jerks sat right in front of us (in the aisle before some steps) and started smoking. Completely classy, right? The lady next to us raised hell. It was super annoying, but mildly entertaining. Too bad it was all going on when the best band ever was playing, right?

OMG Thank you so much!!! This show was just amazing! Can you please post on a site that does not require registration. Please :o

Wow. I went to the second show and it was pretty phenomonal... I had a feeling that they'd play most of the songs they did.

I think it was freaking hilarious when Chris improvised during 42 at the end.

Some jerks sat right in front of us (in the aisle before some steps) and started smoking. Completely classy, right? The lady next to us raised hell. It was super annoying, but mildly entertaining. Too bad it was all going on when the best band ever was playing, right?

How did he improvise?

asnigro-

perhaps the tone of my older post was harsher then I would have liked, I'm just getting a bit peeved at people who have signed up here just to b&%ch about things without offering any kind of reason. After reading a few of of you posts, it's clear to me you are not one of these people.

That said, I still must take issue with a few things you've said.

"Yeah and according to Cubs.com or ticketmaster every cubs game is sold out after the first day tickets go on sale so go figure what pollstars info is worth. "

Yes but the key differnce in these situations is that both the Cubs and Ticketmaster have a direct financial stake in inflating ticket sales news. Pollstar on the other hand is an impartial organization that simply reports numbers, and has a reputation for accuracy in doing so.

"And FYI, it was the Tuesday show that was added, not the wednesday I believe, please correct me if I'm wro g.n"

Actually, I must admit I could be wrong on this. If you are right, it lends credence to the possibility that the added show wasn't sold out. (though I still maintain that independant sources claim it was)

"And also the low prices people were able to get outside the arena and from craigslist is what I am gauging demand by."

Don't pay attention to such things myself so I wouldn't know. Still even for a hugely popular band two nights at the UC (one of the highest capacity U.S, arenas is a tough gig to sell out completely.)

Also, I'm aware that the text style of this post went weird halfway through, not sure why and am too lazy to change it...

Oh, sorry if this is a really long quote, but you are wrong. The Tuesday show was in fact added. I bought tickets through TM the second they came out for the Wednesday show, and then tickets went on sale June 21st for the July 22nd show...

How did he improvise?

He sang something along the lines of this.

"And if you're cool you would know to see a Coldplay concert in Chicago."

It was sort of a mouthful, and he commented on how he shouldn't improvise live.

haha.

I was at the concert Wed night and I just have one question. I do not know if this has been asked or said in this forum, but does anyone know who the DJ was before Santogold?

Thanks

There are not many of us around who appreciate electronic techno ambient around here,:)

but check above in the posts. Someone else asked, and this DJ is Jon Hopkins.

Nearly forgot to mention he composed the scapes on Life in Technicolor.:D

I understand he works regurlarly with Brian Eno.

I find his music a perfect link between 70's prog electro and todays ambient techno.

WHAP Concert Series: Coldplay review (23 July)

When: Wednesday, July 23

Where: The United Center, Chicago

As a concert-minded songwriter, one of Chris Martin’s best moves was to name his biggest hits after colors — or colours, as he might say. Just ask the 11,000 strong at last night’s Coldplay show, who over the course of the night heard hits of a vivid trajectory: the early highlight was “Violet Hill,” sans the thirty seconds of white noise that precedes it on new disc Viva La Vida; the ultimate peak was a singalong version of “Yellow,” the sole concert cut from debut disc Parachutes; and the show ended with an acoustic take on “Green Eyes” from the excellent Rush of Blood to the Head LP. Even if you don’t particularly care for these tunes, they sure make sense in the midst of a lights show — which sure makes sense to do in an arena. Coldplay’s entire set, in fact, could be summed up as songs that made sense.

The four-piece Londoner ensemble, of course, is making more than a few cents off their latest album: Viva has sold 5 million copies in a month, and the accompanying tour is selling so well that bigger cities — Chicago included — are being treated to two nights of performance. I caught Coldplay’s second Windy City set, which Chris Martin promised was better than the first. And after two encores, two album-length takes on new single “Lost!” and two full hours of music, I can’t call him a liar.

Essentially, Coldplay excels at being recognizable. Their concert was the first where I knew every single song, even the deep cuts from the new disc — “Death And All His Friends”; a rollicking, pitch-perfect “42″ — and the old ones cloaked in electronica and drum machine reverb — “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face,” from Rush of Blood. Outside of that, two songs tested unfamiliar waters: a traditional folk tune sung by drummer Will Champion and a two-minute take on “The Dubliners,” a new ditty that approximates an Irish drinking tune. The set was otherwise infectious, from a rousing rendition of “In My Place” (with crowd-sung “yeah”s) to a laser-assisted romp through the concert stock of “Clocks” (improvised harmonies included). And the decision to only play singles from X & Y — that’s the wide-eyed balladry of “Fix You” and the contemplative piano pop of “Speed of Sound” — was a wise one, as too much mediocrity would have chipped away the artistic armor of Coldplay’s new material.

That said, two brand new songs provided the night’s lowlights. The first was “Yes,” which was overly-reliant on synchronized stereo strings and plagued by Chris Martin’s ultimately-too-weak lower register. Then came the aforementioned double-take on “Lost!,” whose central organ riff was overwhelmed by an attempt to accurately approximate the song’s jungle-thump beat. (The band played two takes because they’re filming concert footage for the song’s upcoming promo video, but one good rendition in lieu of two formulaic attempts — both dependent on Martin’s anti-rock-god flagellantism — would have been better.)

Blunders aside, however, the show was an exercise in slightly exceeding expectations — which is more than enough from a band who tires of playing their material well after you tire of hearing it. Throughout the set, six giant orbs projected images of the band members high above the stage, and an arching video screen flashed images congruent to their simultaneous song: Bush clips during a soulful and more-relevant-by-the-day “Politik”; Eastern imagery throughout “Lovers in Japan”; even psychadelic fruit displays on “Strawberry Swing.” Then there was Chris, as self-deprecating as ever, who despite fame and fortune seems convinced he could lose it all as quickly as it came. But that’s the science of Coldplay, the science outlined in the lyrics of “Lost!”: “You might be a big fish…[but] along may come a bigger one.” The band’s just big fish for now, but that’ll do for a sea of people on a given night in Chicago.

http://wethot.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/whap-concert-series-coldplay/

quote :

[Ok, one more and I'm done for tonight....a classic Chris fuck up...]

Thanks for your vids Angie ! AND MEL !

The classic Chris fuck up sounds to me more like a classic Chris JOKE ...

it is actually a small exerp of the work by wellknown 20th century composer of beautiful piano pieces Eric Satie !

cant remember which one, maybe Musique en forme de poire ?

Anyway, it shows Chris's extended musical background, if that was needed, and his ability to play the piano not only as a form of melodic percussion, for those who've been doubting !:).... and all that in a matter of seconds ;)

I love it.

think Roadie #42 may have been reading the thread coz his latest blog seems to answer some of the comments made http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php?title=Roadie_42_-_Blog_14_-_25th_July_2008&rcid=7299

Funny to watch that back and realise that plans changing at the very last minute isn't exactly a new thing in the world of Coldplay! Currently, the setlist is receiving the force of the band's tweaking spanner. Every time it changes, the entire crew need to know about it. To this end, production assistant Marguerite prints a heap of setlists and puts them in a folder on the Production Office door, Every time there is a change, the old pile goes in the recycle bin and a new bunch get printed.

Consequently, I'm utterly delighted when tonight, there is a completely unexpected second encore. The show ends as normal and I realise that I don't know if the band are doing a 'runner' (ie getting straight in vans to the hotel and screeching off before the traffic traps them). If they are, I need to be with them, to avoid being left behind. I'm assured though, that Jonny and Guy have left, but everyone else is hanging around for a while. I go back to my world under the stage to grab my things and drum-tech Bash tells me they're going back on. "They can't be, - Guy and Jonny have gone". He points to the stage, where true enough, Will and Chris are climbing back up the steps.

So when did Coldplay come back on stage after Death And All his Friends this tour? And play another song, let alone a new one that has not been recorded yet? Did you watch the videos at all when Chris and Will come back on? Have you seen the written setlist for the nights? Obviously not. Please find a different thread to bitch in

AGREED!! Have any other shows gotten to enjoy "The Dubliners" as an encore??? It was fun, different and unique from all the other shows!! THANKS COLDPLAY!!

I love Angie!!!! She managed to get the final bow from this show and you can clearly see Chris and the boys having a good laugh over the Phil is Hot sign!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

Chris: Hey!

didyouseethatbanner.jpg

Chris: Look at that banner! *points with thumb*

pointingtosign.jpg

philface.jpg

The only thing better would've been Chris's wide eyed expression when he first saw it or video of him seeing it where you can see his mouth making the words - OH MY GOD:D