✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [original date 04-aug]

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas, Mel and Lori, A HUGE AWWWWW TO the 3 of you for having such a good encounter!! I havent seen the sign, can you point me out to the right direction of a photo of it? Hehe..:embarassed: Im so glad for you girls!!! :) :D

Wait... Nm. This is the wrong thread LOL. I was talking about the night b4.

This guy was like touching chris and stuff and chris was like " hey man. Hey fuck off."

joking of course... At least I think that hAppened

I wasn't sure if I heard what I thought on Tuesday...but I guess you heard it too. I was like, what? When I heard it, I thought I might have heard it wrong. Chris telling someone to fuck off? I guess I wasn't dreaming...I was kind of confused at why he would say something like that.

He was swearing a bit that night.

I wasn't sure if I heard what I thought on Tuesday...but I guess you heard it too. I was like, what? When I heard it, I thought I might have heard it wrong. Chris telling someone to fuck off? I guess I wasn't dreaming...I was kind of confused at why he would say something like that.

He was swearing a bit that night.

LOL yeah he was... Excited that night :)

I would be honored if chris told me to fuck off.

Viva la Vida con Coldplay

2008_07_Coldplay.jpg

With their fourth studio album firmly entrenched on the charts, Coldplay easily filled the United Center with fans for their two-night concert stand this week, a far cry from their last relatively intimate appearance at The Metro. The enthusiasm we saw from the Chicago stop on their worldwide Viva la Vida tour is arguably a testament to Coldplay’s longevity: ponder all you want about the quality of the music, but a whole lot of people still like the band.

The 90-minute set mainly drew music from their newest album, but Chris Martin and co. still managed to fit in all of the band’s former singles, like “Fix You,” “The Scientist,” “Speed of Sound,” and of course, “Clocks” and “Yellow.” Although we think their recent material is drifting away from their music’s main draw – the catchy hooks and the guilty pleasure of singing along to Martin’s nonsensical lyrics – Coldplay has reached the point as a band where they have built a solid musical catalog, combining old music with new to deliver an enjoyable, feel-good performance.

The Tuesday and Wednesday night shows were also used to record bits for Coldplay’s upcoming “Lost!” video -- and maybe a concert film? -- with Martin claiming that the Chicago shows had been specifically chosen for filming, making everyone in the audience feel very spay-shal. It was certainly a pleasurable concert, so Coldplay seems to be sticking with what works: write and perform music for the fans, and they will be happy.

[Ed. note: Admittedly I think Coldplay can be a tad overly earnest, but I happened to see last night's show too and have to admit the band knows how to put on a rock and/or roll spectacle that can send chills down even this grizzled old vet's spine. It's hard to deny the power of a stadium full of people singing "Yellow" with unabashed glee. Also, I certainly didn't mind hearing the interesting and powerfully propulsive "Lost!" twice while the band got a good take.]

http://chicagoist.com/2008/07/24/review_coldplays_viva_la_vida_tour.php

hello, i've been lurking for a while and never found a need to post until now.....just thought you guys might enjoy this a bit. i went to the show last night and was fairly happy with my seats.....but ECSTATIC when coldplay came RIGHT IN FRONT of us to play! none of my friends believe how close i was.....but chris fist pounded my boyfriend like 3 times (the first time the camera is on his arm, he was shaking his hand)!!! i was so jealous! and so happy! and i felt super awkward with thousands of people facing towards me! what a surprise...

nice !!!! :)

Texas, Mel and Lori, A HUGE AWWWWW TO the 3 of you for having such a good encounter!! I havent seen the sign, can you point me out to the right direction of a photo of it? Hehe..:embarassed: Im so glad for you girls!!! :) :D

the signs can be found here http://coldplaying.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2459490&postcount=468

I'd be shocked :o...I'm sorry...maybe a bit disalusioned too...

I'm not used to that kind of joke...

he was definately excited...did you go to both concerts?

yea LOL I'd be pretty stunned.

But no, I only went to the Tuesday show. I drove up from indianapolitik that morn and went back that night. I wanted to go to the 2 be show so bad after the 1 st

Does anyone know the name of the DJ who performed before the 'opening act'?

He was great!!

Also, as a long time Coldplay fan, it hurts me to say that this most recent show is probably the bottom on the list of 6 other coldplay shows i've been too. I can't blame the band too much....the United Center is the worst possible place to put any concert.

I wish they had performed more of their earlier work.

Oh, and people need to put down their phones and not spend the whole show texting about how great the show is (that they're not watching).

End Vent

He was great!!

Also, as a long time Coldplay fan, it hurts me to say that this most recent show is probably the bottom on the list of 6 other coldplay shows i've been too. I can't blame the band too much....the United Center is the worst possible place to put any concert.

Oh, and people need to put down their phones and not spend the whole show texting about how great the show is (that they're not watching).

End Vent

I have to agree with you on that.

The United Center really isn't a good place at all.

I was hoping maybe the Allstate Arena!

Yes, the UC is a crapshoot.

I know Coldplay is too 'big' for the likes of Alpine Valley nowadays...but a venue like that would have been perfect.

I saw them on their last tour in Milwaukee and even though that arena is smaller...the sound and 'feel' of the show was a billion times better.

Nothing tops seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl though ♥♥

I going to see them in Ft Lauderdale in November so i'm crossing my fingers i enjoy that show more.

It is annoying when people aren't watching the show or talking. That happened on their last X&Y tour in Chicago. I was seated next to some of them. Luckily not this time. I am so glad that the people around me were fans & they were into the songs even in the 300 section.

Yah, I wish they could play smaller venues, but I think it is United Center from now on. I thought from where i was sitting it sounded good though. The show started of kind of rough- sound system wise, but got better pretty quickly, or I didn't notice it anymore.

yea LOL I'd be pretty stunned.

But no, I only went to the Tuesday show. I drove up from indianapolitik that morn and went back that night. I wanted to go to the 2 be show so bad after the 1 st

I didn't go either. I really wanted to after the really good show on Tuesday. I was just wondering how it was compared to Tuesday. I really thought Tuesday was great though!

Yes, the UC is a crapshoot.

I know Coldplay is too 'big' for the likes of Alpine Valley nowadays...but a venue like that would have been perfect.

I saw them on their last tour in Milwaukee and even though that arena is smaller...the sound and 'feel' of the show was a billion times better.

Nothing tops seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl though ♥♥

I going to see them in Ft Lauderdale in November so i'm crossing my fingers i enjoy that show more.

I think they would play Alpine Valley again. I just think just picked a handful of cities in the US to start with. Yah, I liked Alpine Valley last year...but I had pit tickets...which really were awesome...we got lucky cause the pit was so small...but the speakers were almost in back of us, so you had to sacrifice sound for being really upclose. I am sure the people in back of us in the seats had good sound quality.

I was freaking out the whole time during this concert. It was absolutely phenomenal. I was the first to see Chris Martin come out behind the stage and go back in before it even began!! Because from where I was sitting I saw everything behind that curtain. I saw that silhouette, and I just knew it was going to be the best night of my life.

Hey I had those seats! haha where were you sitting?

He was great!!

End Vent

The DJ is Jon Hopkins, he actually composes and has a few albums, and contributions and plays mostly ambient sets.

I have donwloaded the torrent of the album " Contact Note" of 2004 .

Enjoy !:)

Guys we didn't get an unplanned encore both nights because our fans sucked.

I dont see how you can say it was unplanned!? They've had encores at each of the previous 4 shows on the tour havent they (5 including Chicago's tuesday night show)? Coldplay doesnt/wont do something "unplanned" (aka not thought about at least 24 hours in advance) at one of these shows, there is just too much at stake and too much to coordinate!

And I believe that the amount of fans "that suck" at a show directly correlates to bands putting on a "sucky" performance (I'm not saying Coldplays performace "sucked" mind you). I can tell you that I was a lot more into last years shows than I was at this years show. And yes, I might've even gotten out my phone to send a text or two during the performance!

I dont see how you can say it was unplanned!? They've had encores at each of the previous 4 shows on the tour havent they (5 including Chicago's tuesday night show)? Coldplay doesnt/wont do something "unplanned" (aka not thought about at least 24 hours in advance) at one of these shows, there is just too much at stake and too much to coordinate!

And I believe that the amount of fans "that suck" at a show directly correlates to bands putting on a "sucky" performance (I'm not saying Coldplays performace "sucked" mind you). I can tell you that I was a lot more into last years shows than I was at this years show. And yes, I might've even gotten out my phone to send a text or two during the performance!

So when did Coldplay come back on stage after Death And All his Friends this tour? And play another song, let alone a new one that has not been recorded yet? Did you watch the videos at all when Chris and Will come back on? Have you seen the written setlist for the nights? Obviously not. Please find a different thread to bitch in

well we are all entitled to our opinion, however I would just disagree with you. I thought the show was amazing

"There were plenty of empty seats in the 300's on Tuesday night, that's for sure"

Actually, according to Pollstar, both nights were sold out, so I'm not sure what this is about. I was on the floor so I couldn't really see the 300's that much myself. I do know that a large percentage of fans in the nosebleeds are being moved to the front floor rows on this tour, so perhaps that's the reson why "plenty" of upper seats were empty (if indeed they were:thinking:)...

It doesn't really make sense for that to be the case here anyway as the Wednesday show was an ADDED date, as in added due to DEMAND. Why would they add a 2nd date if the first show wasn't sold out? Excuse me if I take your comments with a dose of skeptisism...:dozey:

As for the "sucky" performance/setlist, I've now seen the band 6 times (going all the way back to 2001), and these two nights in Chicago were BY FAR the best I've ever seen them live. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I really don't see how anyone could consider these shows "bad", unless the issue is that you don't like the new songs, inb which case the show will be bad for you no matter what they do.

As to the setlist, I think they essentially HAD to repeat themselves if indeed they were filming a full length concert film. It's not that uncommon for bands to film two nights so that they have more material from which to fashion a finished product. U2 did the same thing when I saw them two nights at the UC in 2005.

So when did Coldplay come back on stage after Death And All his Friends this tour? And play another song, let alone a new one that has not been recorded yet? Did you watch the videos at all when Chris and Will come back on? Have you seen the written setlist for the nights? Obviously not

Whether a guy takes a 2 minute break and walks behind stage and sips off a water bottle or not does not make it special or unplanned to me Mike. My point is that Green Eyes had been played in Vegas a couple nights prior thus losing its specialness or uniqueness to Chicago. They also played 2 encores at the 2nd show at the Forum. Also, played another song after DAAHF in Vegas. The second show in Chicago did get a minute of a new song, cheers.

I mean really why are people using the word unplanned here? Its not like the guys were backstage taking their trousers off and said to each other, "Wow, wait a minute guys, the fans are really clapping louder than we've heard anywhere else on tour thus far. Lets go out and give 'em one more song! How 'bout it fellas!?!? **Group high Five**" Its a little rediculous to me.

"There were plenty of empty seats in the 300's on Tuesday night, that's for sure"

Actually, according to Pollstar, both nights were sold out, so I'm not sure what this is about. I was on the floor so I couldn't really see the 300's that much myself. I do know that a large percentage of fans in the nosebleeds are being moved to the front floor rows on this tour, so perhaps that's the reson why "plenty" of upper seats were empty (if indeed they were:thinking:)...

It doesn't really make sense for that to be the case here anyway as the Wednesday show was an ADDED date, as in added due to DEMAND. Why would they add a 2nd date if the first show wasn't sold out? Excuse me if I take your comments with a dose of skeptisism...:dozey:

As for the "sucky" performance/setlist, I've now seen the band 6 times (going all the way back to 2001), and these two nights in Chicago were BY FAR the best I've ever seen them live. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I really don't see how anyone could consider these shows "bad", unless the issue is that you don't like the new songs, inb which case the show will be bad for you no matter what they do.

As to the setlist, I think they essentially HAD to repeat themselves if indeed they were filming a full length concert film. It's not that uncommon for bands to film two nights so that they have more material from which to fashion a finished product. U2 did the same thing when I saw them two nights at the UC in 2005.

Yeah and according to Cubs.com or ticketmaster every cubs game is sold out after the first day tickets go on sale so go figure what pollstars info is worth. And FYI, it was the Tuesday show that was added, not the wednesday I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was in section 201 in the club level and had a decent view of the joint. I thought it would've been fuller lets put it that way. And also the low prices people were able to get outside the arena and from craigslist is what I am gauging demand by.

I didnt think the show was "bad" either. Just a dissappointment from last years thats all (and lasts years were amongst the best shows I've ever been to, especially in Noblesville, IN where I was fortunate enough to get pit tickets through the fanclub presale, which no longer exist apparently).