✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Small Reminders/Updates & The Coldplay Messenger (feat. Roadie #42!)

eFlat

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_______

Roadie #42 - Blog #9

July 8, 2008 4:39 pm

#42 sends an update from LA

_______

Back to school.

After the past few weeks of complete and utter chaos, we find ourselves loading into a huge empty space in LA with an entire week until the doors open for the first show of the tour. It's a little like finally getting a chance to move into your new home after a mad month of parties and visitors. Finally, we have time to arrange the furniture, to work out where the fusebox is and to attend to that troublesome leak when someone uses the shower upstairs.

In many ways, the promo shows were a great way to get a lot sorted out very quickly. We didn't so much hit the ground running as get thrown from a moving vehicle. It meant we had no choice but to make things work - and fast! Now though, we're smoothing the edges, refining every aspect. "Good enough" has never ever been good enough with this lot - and now, less so than ever. I expect a lot will happen this week and not all of it fun. I'm also pretty sure that by the time the house-lights go down for the first night next week, the show is going to have grown into something pretty exceptional.

Also by then, with any luck, British Airways will have found my suitcase....

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=59

Jon Hopkins added to support bill

July 9, 2008 4:20 pm

Viva La Vida collaborator to support at six shows

news_line.png

After playing with us at last month's free shows (and collaborating with us on the new album), we're pleased to announce that Jon Hopkins has been added to the bill for the following concerts...

14 July - The Forum, LA (Shearwater also appearing)

15 July - The Forum, LA (Shearwater also appearing)

19 July - MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas (Shearwater also appearing)

22 July - United Center, Chicago, Illinois (Santogold also appearing)

23 July - United Center, Chicago, Illinois (Santogold also appearing)

29 July - Bell Centre, Montreal (Santogold also appearing)

Jon will also be DJing at all other shows between those. Click here to check out his MySpace.

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=60

Roadie #42 -- Blog #10

It struck me today that so far we've spent time in Wembley Arena, Madison Square Garden and the LA Forum - and yet the tour hasn't yet officially begun. Either it's all downhill from here, or this is going to be one hell of a ride...

Somewhat predictably, the week of production rehearsals has passed in the blink of an eye. For the first couple of days, the band were still in the UK. The lighting department replaced them with white towels hung over each mic stand. For some reason, Guy's mic stand was adorned with a bed sheet, which gave stage left the look of a particularly cheesy Halloween party.

But I digress. Once the band did arrive, it was right down to business. The first couple of run-throughs were somewhat tense, it has to be said. The B-Stage section of the show had been particularly problematic. Nobody has been 100% happy with the way it's been going. Will has been playing a drumkit about fifty feet in front of the sound system. This means the audience were hearing his drums once when he hit them, again when the audio from the PA system reached them (sound actually travels pretty slowly) and then a third time when the reflections from the back of the arena echoed around again. Everyone was dissatisfied and with the time available to change things getting short, people were concerned.

As is so often the case, a very small change brought a flood of others. Saturday began with the band merrily swinging sledgehammers at the B-Stage. The second drumkit? Gone. The Vox Continental keyboard? Gone. The songs they were going to play down there? History. The entire crew? Very, very confused!

Will had arrived with a tiny electronic drum-pad setup that plays some glorious 808 drum-machine sounds. They kicked into 'God Put A Smile' and it was utterly transformed, becoming a tight, almost claustrophobic techno rendition. Jonny twisted a demented new guitar part out of his pink Jazzmaster, the lasers rolled around overhead and all around the arena jaws dropped. It had gone from being the least effective part of the show to a new highlight in mere moments. It's the Coldplay way. Hours of uncomfortable stress give way to a burst of frenzied creativity and suddenly everyone is excited again.

The guys made their way back to the main stage and hammered through 'The Scientist', 'Speed of Sound' and 'What If' - all stripped down and without the aid of the orchestral studio parts. They sounded all the better for the simpler approach. The songs breathe and come alive without the mass of technology weighing them down. After weeks of adding, adding and more adding, they're finally stripping away the unnecessary baggage and letting the songs speak for themselves. And this they do, loud and clear.

At 7pm on Saturday night there was a final full show run-through. From where I sit, watching the show on a TV monitor under the stage, it looked like we've finally got a Coldplay show. The band were clearly excited and pleased. So much so, in fact, that Sunday was designated a day off! Production Manager Fin announced that the bar down the road from the hotel was open and he was buying.

Somewhat tellingly, pretty much the entire crew still wandered in on Sunday to do some small tweaks and last minute tidying up. We learnt long ago not to let our guard down just because we have a good day. Tonight is the first full show and everyone wants it to fully blow people away. I have to say, I really think it will.

The Scientist, What If, and Speed of Sound are back on the setlist apparently! And the "techno" version of GPASUYF sounds incredible. Someone PLEASE record that tonight!!

I think What If is an unusual choice yeah, out of the whole Coldplay back catalogue. Daylight, A Rush of Blood to the Head are amazing live. Or a Parachutes song. :idea2:

But hey, I'm sure they know what they're doing and I'm glad we're not going to get the same setlist that we've already heard. :D

Let's say I'd rather have them to play some other old songs, such at these you mentioned Mich :nice:

Nevertheless this blog got me really excited, can't wait to hear news from those going to the concert this evening :dance:

Shearwater interview

July 15, 2008 10:38 am

We chat to Coldplay's current support act

news_line.png

With Austin swoon-rockers Shearwater supporting Coldplay on the opening four dates of the tour, Coldplay.com called up frontman Jonathan Meiburg ahead of the first LA show, to find out a little bit more about them.

shear.jpg

Photo by Stephen Dewall

Hi Jonathan. Are you looking forward to the dates with Coldplay?

Oh heavens, yes. We've never done shows on this scale before. We're really, tremendously excited about it.

How do you prepare for shows in bigger venues like these?

Well, I'll just try to keep the guitar in tune and I'm gonna make sure I don't wear my glasses so I can't see anything. But, really, we're all just gonna try to do our jobs as best we can. I can't wait.

Are you a fan of Coldplay's music?

Yeah. Actually, I was just thinking of all the different places and times that I've listened to Coldplay. I remember listening to them at an albatross colony in New Zealand a couple of years ago.

Ah, so you take your name from a bird because you really are bird watchers?

Yeah, I am. But I try to be surreptitious about it and not let on to people.

Which Coldplay song works best in an albatross colony?

Oh boy, I think it was maybe Clocks.

On headphones, or blasting it out for the albatrosses to hear?

Well albatrosses make enough noise on their own. They're really not quiet birds. They make all these strange guttural, choking sounds.They're very, very weird.

When you play as a support act, do you have to approach it differently to a headline show?

Um, it's sort of like a nice challenge. It's nice to think that these are people who don't know anything about you and this is your chance to really show them a range of what you can do. It's a good kind of pressure.

Will you adjust your set for the Coldplay audience?

No, you can spend too much time thinking about that sort of thing. We're just gonna try to play the set that flows best and that we're least likely to screw up.

For those who don't know Shearwater's music, can you tell us what it's like?

I would say it's sort of lyrical, mystical art-rock for fans of natural history museums.

Do they have good natural history museums in America?

Oh, they're fantastic. When we're on tour, if we ever have a day off in a city that's got one, I always go there. Washington's got a great one, as has New York and we passed one today in Los Angeles that I've never been to, so I might try to get to that. Plus LA has La Brea, which isthe site of the famous tar pits where there were so many interesting animals preserved.

You're with Coldplay in Las Vegas too. That doesn't sound like a natural history museum kind of place.

No, it's not very natural any more. I think some people would argue that Vegas is more of a museum for the misery of the human condition.

What will be on your rider for the Coldplay shows?

I'm afraid our rider is a bit boring; a lot of bottled water and fruit. The things that kill you on tour are all the things that you want to do. It's so easy to not eat very well, drink a lot and not get enough sleep. So we tend to try to go against that. We sleep a lot, don't drink very much and eat hippy food.

Have you seen Coldplay live before?

No, I haven't. I'm really looking forward to it. From the footage I've seen of the shows they've played so far, I think these shows are gonna be something special.

Watch out for the magic balls. Word has it they cost £900,000.

Oh my God, really? I'll give those a wide birth backstage then.

Finally, what is your favourite Coldplay song?

Probably Yellow, just because it's the first I heard of them, as it was for a lot of people. I think you often get the most emotional associations with the song that you hear first. I love it.

Shearwater are supporting Coldplay in LA, San Jose and Las Vegas. To find out more about the band, click here to check out their official site and here for their MySpace

I should have posted about this last night but I was too exhausted from getting out of the Forum. It was one hell of show for sure! Definitely more massive than the previous tours. I noticed they tweaked some things and changed it up a little bit- after seeing videos and hearing songs from the free gigs. It was worth it though.

The band and the entire crew definitely exceeded expectations. We get to hear Will sing and Jonny gets some extra attention too with his guitar. Plus, they move about the arena so much that creates massive energy from the crowd. Really amazing show. Pretty surprised that the audience were singing along with the new songs- very cool.

Also, I was reading LA Times blog. I actually met one photographer when we were doing the Oxfam thing. He did say that they were only allowed to shoot during "songs 3 & 4". I guess the security has their reasons. The woman in charge of security was on top of things and quite intense- I think they were just making sure everything would go smoothly.

Newsreel: See Tonight Show gig tomorrow

July 16, 2008 4:16 pm

First come, first served for tomorrow's LA TV show

news_line.png

Good afternoon. Tomorrow evening (July 17th), Coldplay will play an outdoor show as part of the Summer Concert Series on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. A limited number of tickets will be available from NBC from 8am tomorrow morning. Tickets will be first come, first served. The Guest Relations offices are located at 3000 W. Alameda Ave., Burbank on the California Street or west side of the studio facilities. You'll need to be at least 16 to attend and anyone under 21 should bring photo proof of age. The ticket office information number is: (818) 840-3537.

Anchorman

Roadie #42 - Blog #11

July 18, 2008 10:42 am

#42 expands his role to passport photo snapper...

Two for two.

Well, it seems that we're airborne. The maiden flights of the Viva La Vida tour have been a success and it looks like we're in for a good run. Admittedly, the shows passed in a blur - a mixture of concentration and panic that leaves one utterly shattered. I have to say, the standout aspect of the shows for me is how effective the acoustic section has been. This is possibly because I don't have anything to do at that point in the show. I have a feeling, however, that it's more because it is a truly emotionally resonant moment. You can feel the crowd pass first through confusion that all the lights have come on, then excitement that the band are suddenly wandering through the arena, to the final shrieks of recognition as Yellow strikes up.

From where I stand near the stage, the guys look very small up there at the back of the arena. They also sound pretty fragile - often being drowned out in the choruses by the roaring sing-a-long of the crowd. When they get to "For you I bleed myself...", it's just one huge voice and the band are but a tiny part of it.

Back on the main stage, the ending to is now similarly transformed, as the guys jam up a storm. Monday night saw Will exploding into life as the four of them played off each other, completely freeform. I couldn't tell if it was the anxiety of the first show, or the excitement of the response, but Will was utterly on fire at being let of the leash like this. It was truly a sight to behold.

Thoughts of a leisurely start to day two were scuppered when word came around that, for some reason, the band's passport photos had been rejected from their Japanese Visa applications. Things needed to happen fast, as the consulate would not release any of the passports they were holding until this was resolved. This meant nobody (band or crew) could fly anywhere until we got it sorted.

Luckily, there was a linen trolley outside of my room - where I swiftly swiped a fresh bed-sheet as a photographic background - and there was plentiful sunshine out by the pool. Band assistant EJ rounded up the guys and one by one they gazed blearily into the early morning sunshine as EJ held the white sheet behind them.

I did the electronic equivalent of waiting for the prints to pop out of the machine and we were good to go. The gig wasn't bad either...

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=68

[...]

Back on the main stage, the ending to is now similarly transformed, as the guys jam up a storm. Monday night saw Will exploding into life as the four of them played off each other, completely freeform. I couldn't tell if it was the anxiety of the first show, or the excitement of the response, but Will was utterly on fire at being let of the leash like this. It was truly a sight to behold.

[...]

What exactly does this part mean? What was Will doing here and why?

It's either to early for me this morning or I'm just too stupid to understand it! :lol: