✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay To Perform "Viva La Vida" @MTV Movie Awards

IneedYou23

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit later (again, things move slowly), everything was set, and Coldplay launched into "Viva La Vida" — the title track from their new album, which hits stores June 17. Above a massive din of strings, bells and timpani drums, Martin sang about dead kings and failed dreams, skipping about while a Steadicam spun around him. The sheer size of the tune — it's joyously massive, really — was only amplified by the near-empty amphitheater, and as the final notes bounced around the seats and up into the rafters, Martin and the rest of his band stood once again in the middle of the stage, looking a bit shocked.

Sunday's show will be the first time they'll play "Viva" live, and you get the feeling that even they were amazed by just how big it sounded.

But then, just as soon as the moment was over, the stage was filled once again with producers and lighting techs, and the whole circus started up again. Sure, that was great, but let's do it again. And again. After all, it's gotta be perfect.

*http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1588438/story.jhtml

*Squeals in excitement!* A little over 10 hours to go

I finally watched this on mtv.com, since I don't have cable. I must say I wasn't sure how the performance would be or if I would like their new song since I haven't heard it in its entirety yet. But, I must say after watching their performance over more than once, I am digging the Viva La Vida song.

I must say I love the strings (orchestral instruments) on this song. I think it makes the song. I love that its more upbeat as well.

Chris' peformance was good, but probably because it is his first time performing in such a long time, his vocals seemed strained in parts. I felt like he had a little bit of a hard time in parts to get some of the notes. I've never heard him have to try and get notes before. But, I loved the music overall and what they did with the song.

My sis says that maybe it is because the words are so much faster in this song...maybe it was a change for his voice.

Nice pics btw!!!

I think they first hit pop during x&y, but that's not to say that there values have changed. They're just into doing different things. Viva la vida is very pop, but then again, violet hill is the heaviest thing they've done in a while.

like "Fix You"....yeah they went completely mainstream there, but not really "pop."

also, some of the other songs we've heard are more subdued than the regular "pop" materials in that genre. not to mention they still deviate from the rather-simplistic music composition within "pop."

but yeah with exception of "Viva la Vida," Coldplay's works still land them under the "alternative" label.

(and on a personal note, the day Coldplay becomes "pop" is when my Jessica Simpson/Britney Spears/Mariah Carey-lovin' cousins finally decide that Coldplay is HAPPY-HAPPY MUSIC, easy to understand, and that they can do better covers).

OMG, I'm so glad loads of people on here have weird opinions on what constitutes crap, that was bloody amazing! Where were Will's pissed off glances and Chris' "Thank f**k it's over" looks to the girl in the front row?

Absolutely f**king immense for a first performance, and it can only get better. I'm so happy :D