✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Grande] 14-Jul-08: Forum, Inglewood, CA - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Eva Longoria was there too fact fans.

You know what's annoying? She has a VIP badge? Why?! Does she know them? No? Can she afford good seats? Yes. :dozey:

"Hey I've never met you before but can I have some VIP passes to your gig, I'm famous you see" :rolleyes:

Anyways...:P

ELongoriaIPod071408_10_X17.jpg

http://x17online.com/celebrities/eva_longoria/are_they_texting_each_other-07152008.php

Hey Eva never mind even if you're a celeb.Infact you have two hands and two pair of legs like me right.

enjoyed the show right,just go and fuck off!:P

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ello. I just woke up. I was volunteering with Oxfam so I got to see the show for "free"... but we had to work our butts off though! :laugh3: I got seated in Colonade 34... a bit far, but hey. Srsly. Didn't have to pay for anythign but parking.

Unfortunately I have no pictures and such. :(

Anyway... highlights for me, in no order:

- The riff and the end of "Yes"--and all of "Yes" actually

- Viva la Vida

- Death and All His Friends (the screw up was funny, hehe)

- The cheap seats part! (ARGH if they went to the opposite side of the venue I would've been right next to them. That pissed me off)

- Will singing <3

- Chris's random rants

- Meeting the Oxfam volunteers

And lowlights... which are all not really related to Coldplay:

- Being rejected when asking for emails for Oxfam

"Would you like to help fight poverty with Coldplay?"

"No not right now."

or

"Did you sign up yet?"

*dirty look*

- Everyone else sitting in their seats around me and not standing... (understandable for the volunteers though since we were standing for hours!)

- Being the only one singing in my area

- Not being able to sit with my sister like always

- The lack of the post-concert euphoria I usually get. I don't know why--maybe it's just because I was really tired, but I felt kinda unsatisfied and depressed after the concert. :(

I have to say, I think these reports of all the pre-recorded tracks are WAY overblown.

The only songs where it was obvious were Lost, Viva la Vida and Lovers in Japan...

Other than that, it was pretty much them the whole time. Chris spent just as much time with the piano and organ as he did hopping around.

It's not as big of a deal as that article made it sound like.

d

Wasn't there a bit more than that though, with LiT largely a backing track (including obvious vocals at the end?) and then The Escapist (which has been included on many lists as part of the set) purely a played back recording? It may have changed, and I thought it would do a bit, but that was exactly how it was at Brixton and the BBC.

It's only a small niggle for me really, and hope my comment isn't perceived as too critical, it's just an interesting point to talk about as far as I'm concerned. And let me just say, once again, that the Brixton gig was one of the very best performances I've ever seen from the band, so it's a small price to pay. The new songs were sublime (as they were at the BBC) and really powerful live.

And most importantly the reaction to this gig - even where the backing's been made quite a big point of - has been fantastic, which makes me indescribably happy :)

Here is to sum up the opening act.

The loudest cheer was when the lead singer said "We'd like to thank Coldplay for letting us play with them"

Then the loudest cheer was topped in the next sentence when they said "This is our last song."

Have yourself a double double and make sure you are in the arena by at least 9pm.

Thanks! pretty much what I thought. Looks like alot of Sushi & Saki bombs :lol:P

Wasn't there a bit more than that though, with LiT largely a backing track (including obvious vocals at the end?) and then The Escapist (which has been included on many lists as part of the set) purely a played back recording? It may have changed, and I thought it would do a bit, but that was exactly how it was at Brixton and the BBC.

Well, sure, the very beginning of LIT is pre-recorded, but once the guitar starts - that's the band, not a recording. They played that all live, including the vocals.

As for The Escapist, they just played the CD as they were leaving the stage - I didn't even count that.

I was just saying they played more live than people are giving them credit for.

Ello. I just woke up. I was volunteering with Oxfam so I got to see the show for "free"... but we had to work our butts off though! :laugh3: I got seated in Colonade 34... a bit far, but hey. Srsly. Didn't have to pay for anythign but parking.

- Viva la Vida

- The cheap seats part! (ARGH if they went to the opposite side of the venue I would've been right next to them. That pissed me off)

- Will singing <3

- Chris's random rants

"No not right now."

or

"Did you sign up yet?"

*dirty look*

- Everyone else sitting in their seats around me and not standing... (understandable for the volunteers though since we were standing for hours!)

- The lack of the post-concert euphoria I usually get. I don't know why--maybe it's just because I was really tired, but I felt kinda unsatisfied and depressed after the concert. :(

Thanks for the recap as to how volunteering was. Im trying to volunteer for another show with Oxfam (Bloc Party) as I already have tix for Coldplay here. Ive volunteered at plenty of different things and always hear some lame response. I usually come back with something snarky ;) Sucks to not be able to have sat with your sister. But I think looking back - it will be a great memory. Even when Im dead tired after volunteering - I always feel great the next day. I worked the VIP area at a Summerstage show for Vampire Weekend and had to tell people who were soaking wet from the pouring rain that they couldnt get under the tent. Ive never felt more awful in my life (so at least it wasnt that bad) :)

Sucks about people not standing. At the MSG show, someone nearly got kicked out of the arena, because he refused to sit and the people behind him got mad. Ive never seen such ridiculousness. C'mon people stand up for 90 mins of your life and have fun - it never killed anyone :)

And you were there on night 1. For that im insanely jealous. October is way too far away.

Thanks a million Busybee, your writing gives us poor unfortunates ( if a miracle happens I migth see them in England in December?) a piece of the exhalaration we sooo wish for.

Anybody can tell me in what way Jon Hopkins interferes in show ? Are the so-called recordings not him playing live on computer behind the curtains ?

Coldplay kick off North American tour in LA

The band connect with crowd by performing in the 'cheap seats'

Coldplay launched their highly anticipated North American tour in Los Angeles last night (July 14) with the first of two sold-out shows at the Forum.

The band, whose new record 'Viva La Vida' debuted at Number One in the US last month, came out with guns blazing -- giving it their all from the very first song, 'Life In Technicolor'.

They didn't shy away from playing some of their biggest crowd-pleasers early on, and the crowd ate them up, erupting at the opening strains of familiar songs.

"This is the first night of our tour since we became the new version of our band, frontman Chris Martin said. "We thought where better to kick it off than our home away from home, Los Angeles. It's where we started here in America, but we'll probably end in Vegas," he quipped.

The band -- dressed in their now-trademark pseudo-military uniforms -- focused largely on their new album, playing only a smattering of earlier works.

Martin made the most of two walkways that extended down the sides of the arena by dancing, jumping and sliding down them throughout the night. Mid-set, the band set up on a mid-arena satellite stage for a couple of songs, giving the audience a thrill.

Before debuting a new arrangement of 'Speed Of Sound', Martin warned, "If it sucks, go get a hot dog." But the crowd loved it and screamed their approval. "It's a bit cheesy but we couldn't ask for more from an audience on a Monday night in sweltering July," Martin responded.

Before the night was over, the band ran up the aisles to the top of the arena where they performed a couple of songs. "Sometimes you've got to visit the cheap seats," Martin explained. Drummer Will Champion sang lead vocals on one of the songs. "We know our drummer Will will one day want to make a solo record like Phil Collins, so we thought we should give him some practice," Martin said.

Coldplay returned for two bombastic, confetti-filled encores before saying goodnight.

Coldplay played:

'Life In Technicolor'

'Violet Hill'

'Clocks'

'In My Place'

'Viva La Vida'

'42'

'Yes'

'The Scientist'

'Chinese Sleep Chant'

'God Put A Smile'

'Square One'

'Speed Of Sound'

'Trouble'

'Lost!'

'Strawberry Swing'

'Yellow'

'DWNC'

'Fix You'

'Lovers In Japan'

'Death And All His Friends'

'The Escapist'

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/38176

Well, sure, the very beginning of LIT is pre-recorded, but once the guitar starts - that's the band, not a recording. They played that all live, including the vocals.

As for The Escapist, they just played the CD as they were leaving the stage - I didn't even count that.

I was just saying they played more live than people are giving them credit for.

Cool! At Brixton and the BBC the band played the main instruments over a backing of the rest of the track, and the vocals at the end were as obviously 'boosted' as the pre-recorded vocals at the end of Viva. Really nice to hear they've gone even more live since (although as I say it's not a huge problem for me) :)

I'm so sad i couldn't make it...i cant even read the reviews without almost crying...hopefully they will come around next year for a second tour

Oh I'm so sorry to read this - I just found your comment now. I really feel for you. If venting or even just talking through what happened would help to get it off your mind a bit then please do feel free. Otherwise you are due a really great time at the next Coldplay gig that you can get to in the grand cosmic scheme of things, you know that??!! :)

- Viva la Vida

- Will singing <3

- Chris's random rants

"No not right now."

or

"Did you sign up yet?"

*dirty look*

i cant relate to everything you said b/c I wasnt with oxfam but I am totally with you on being the only one singing in your area thing. I felt like I was the only one too which kinda bugged me as viva has been out for a while. I was really excited after the concert but from walking out through the seas of people it didnt really seem like everyone shared in the excitement. and as for the cheap seats part I was in the section they came too but if you were a couple rows down you couldnt see a thing- everyone was standing on the chairs so you really couldnt see anything. it was awesome but you couldnt see. Some of the people around me were sitting but most were standing up. I stood up the entire time- I would have been bugged if everyone was sitting too!

The band connect with crowd by performing in the 'cheap seats'

Coldplay launched their highly anticipated North American tour in Los Angeles last night (July 14) with the first of two sold-out shows at the Forum.

The band, whose new record 'Viva La Vida' debuted at Number One in the US last month, came out with guns blazing -- giving it their all from the very first song, 'Life In Technicolor'.

They didn't shy away from playing some of their biggest crowd-pleasers early on, and the crowd ate them up, erupting at the opening strains of familiar songs.

"This is the first night of our tour since we became the new version of our band, frontman Chris Martin said. "We thought where better to kick it off than our home away from home, Los Angeles. It's where we started here in America, but we'll probably end in Vegas," he quipped.

The band -- dressed in their now-trademark pseudo-military uniforms -- focused largely on their new album, playing only a smattering of earlier works.

Martin made the most of two walkways that extended down the sides of the arena by dancing, jumping and sliding down them throughout the night. Mid-set, the band set up on a mid-arena satellite stage for a couple of songs, giving the audience a thrill.

Before debuting a new arrangement of 'Speed Of Sound', Martin warned, "If it sucks, go get a hot dog." But the crowd loved it and screamed their approval. "It's a bit cheesy but we couldn't ask for more from an audience on a Monday night in sweltering July," Martin responded.

Before the night was over, the band ran up the aisles to the top of the arena where they performed a couple of songs. "Sometimes you've got to visit the cheap seats," Martin explained. Drummer Will Champion sang lead vocals on one of the songs. "We know our drummer Will will one day want to make a solo record like Phil Collins, so we thought we should give him some practice," Martin said.

Coldplay returned for two bombastic, confetti-filled encores before saying goodnight.

Coldplay played:

'Life In Technicolor'

'Violet Hill'

'Clocks'

'In My Place'

'Viva La Vida'

'42'

'Yes'

'The Scientist'

'Chinese Sleep Chant'

'God Put A Smile'

'Square One'

'Speed Of Sound'

'Trouble'

'Lost!'

'Strawberry Swing'

'Yellow'

'DWNC'

'Fix You'

'Lovers In Japan'

'Death And All His Friends'

'The Escapist'

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/38176

good review,but if they play something like warning sign,sparks or something really we folks like wow that'ld be amazing.

its not that hard for them to do,then why aren't they doing it?:thinking:

good review,but if they play something like warning sign,sparks or something really we folks like wow that'ld be amazing.

its not that hard for them to do,then why aren't they doing it?:thinking:

The set will change (perhaps 'evolve' is a better word for it, as it'll be slow) and songs will be dropped and others picked up throughout the tour. Politik MUST make its way back at some point, and we've already heard they've rehearsed What If for the tour, and Chris said Warning Sign would be back (though that might have changed), so...watch this space!

My guess is that they've rehearsed and got comfortable with all the new tracks (and of course they're much fresher in the memory) so they'll start with this kind of set and make small adjustments all the way along'. Then of course they've also said they'll tailor the set to where they're playing - perhaps the countries they got biggest in first can hope for one or two of the older tracks?? (Here's hoping!)

But at the same time, I really envy this setlist, and would so love to hear something like it one day - almost the whole of the new album all in one night!! :)

The set will change (perhaps 'evolve' is a better word for it, as it'll be slow) and songs will be dropped and others picked up throughout the tour. Politik MUST make its way back at some point, and we've already heard they've rehearsed What If for the tour, and Chris said Warning Sign would be back (though that might have changed), so...watch this space!

My guess is that they've rehearsed and got comfortable with all the new tracks (and of course they're much fresher in the memory) so they'll start with this kind of set and make small adjustments all the way along'. Then of course they've also said they'll tailor the set to where they're playing - perhaps the countries they got biggest in first can hope for one or two of the older tracks?? (Here's hoping!)

But at the same time, I really envy this setlist, and would so love to hear something like it one day - almost the whole of the new album all in one night!! :)

i liked that they played Yes!

its great my favorite song in the new album.:)

I think Roadie #42's rehearsal blog from says alot about it.

The first couple of run-throughs were somewhat tense, it has to be said. The B-Stage section of the show had been particularly problematic. Nobody has been 100% happy with the way it's been going. Will has been playing a drumkit about fifty feet in front of the sound system. This means the audience were hearing his drums once when he hit them, again when the audio from the PA system reached them (sound actually travels pretty slowly) and then a third time when the reflections from the back of the arena echoed around again. Everyone was dissatisfied and with the time available to change things getting short, people were concerned.

As is so often the case, a very small change brought a flood of others. Saturday began with the band merrily swinging sledgehammers at the B-Stage. The second drumkit? Gone. The Vox Continental keyboard? Gone. The songs they were going to play down there? History. The entire crew? Very, very confused!

they've changed a chunk of the setlist last minute because when it came to it, the set didn't work.

Coldplay gets all rock-star at the Forum

41026480.jpg

Coldplay, performing at the Forum in Los Angeles.

The introspective Chris Martin and the group swagger into big-band status touring for 'Viva la Vida.'

IN THE title track of Coldplay's new “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends,” frontman Chris Martin admits that "people couldn't believe what I'd become." He's singing from the perspective of a freshly deposed king, reflecting on the delights of his authoritarian reign, but the line also works to describe Martin's stature as a musician.

Eight years after "Yellow" made him the cheek-pinchable face of a new brand of bravado-less introspection, Martin -- a man once given to lyrical proclamations like, "I never meant to cause you trouble" -- has morphed into an attention-hungry rock star with no shortage of sex-bomb swagger.

Thank goodness for that.

Monday at the Forum, during the first of two sold-out shows that kicked off Coldplay's current world tour, Martin and his bandmates succeeded in proving onstage what strong sales of "Viva la Vida" have suggested on paper -- that right now there is no bigger rock group on the planet. "I can tell this is gonna be a good one," Martin announced after the band opened with the new album's “Violet Hill,” and he was right.

Goaded into experimentation by the producer Brian Eno, perhaps best known for doing the same with Martin's beloved U2, Coldplay shakes up its sound on "Viva la Vida," embroidering songs with sensual Latin grooves, African-inspired guitar lines and bleary keyboard textures Eno might've found on an old tape left over from the sessions for "Achtung Baby."

The music's textural adventurousness is matched by a renewed emotional vitality; these openhearted pleas for peace, love and understanding don't sound stifled, as older Coldplay material sometimes has, by an air of apology.

That yen for connection defined the band's 90-minute set Monday, which drew from "Viva la Vida" as well as from Coldplay's first three albums. Dressed in the vintage military garb they've apparently selected as the new CD's sartorial representation, the four musicians played on a relatively bare-bones set before a backdrop emblazoned with the Eugène Delacroix painting that serves as "Viva la Vida' "s cover.

In place of the Jumbotrons that usually flank the stage in an arena show, video was funneled to a tiny TV sitting atop a bank of keyboards.

The motivating idea wasn't so much a rejection of spectacle -- these guys love nothing more, as demonstrated by the butterfly-shaped confetti that fell to the floor during "Lovers in Japan" -- as it was a minimization of distraction.

Fortunately, the band mostly repaid the audience's attention: Martin sang his little heart out, hitting unlikely high notes while doing dance moves he appeared to have learned by watching clips of toddlers on YouTube.

During "Viva la Vida," Will Champion bashed away at an enormous kettle drum placed at center stage. Guitarist Jonny Buckland filled the Forum with playing that alternated between tart lead lines (as in "Strawberry Swing") and atmospheric washes (as in "The Scientist"). And bassist Guy Berryman anchored the music with a dependably steady pulse, even hinting at a submerged sense of funk in "Lost!"

On several of the weirder cuts from the new album, including "Yes" and "42," Coldplay didn't quite muster its in-studio precision, which made the songs seem unformed rather than unconventional. However risky it's become, this is still a band that thrives on big hooks, and when those disappeared, so did the concert's energy.

The same went for Martin's decision near the end of the show to present a video of Bill O'Reilly calling the singer a "pinhead" on the Fox News Channel. Petulance is rarely thrilling. Of course, an inability to countenance criticism often accompanies a transition into top-tier rock stardom, so it's probably unreasonable to expect a performance as powerful as Monday's without at least a splash from Martin's bottle of whine.

In this economy, that trade-off resembles a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coldplay16-2008jul16,0,1101653.story

i liked that they played Yes!

its great my favorite song in the new album.:)

Me too - fantastic news Pallavi!! :)

I'm going to see them in London twice in December, and so hope to hear it at least once. Would also love to hear CSC and SS again (and DAAHF for the first time live).

Clear videos:

Coldplay (Forum)

Thank ever so much for great reviews, pics and videos from above the stage link !

Can you or anyone tell me about Jon Hopkins ? Is he at the electonic controls somewhere or what precisely ? Does he play before or during main show ? I love his scapes on the album. It's a lovely way for Coldplay from keyboards to prog/electronic , intertwined with their own heavysensitive rock combo.

41026480.jpg

Coldplay, performing at the Forum in Los Angeles.

The introspective Chris Martin and the group swagger into big-band status touring for 'Viva la Vida.'

IN THE title track of Coldplay's new “Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends,” frontman Chris Martin admits that "people couldn't believe what I'd become." He's singing from the perspective of a freshly deposed king, reflecting on the delights of his authoritarian reign, but the line also works to describe Martin's stature as a musician.

Eight years after "Yellow" made him the cheek-pinchable face of a new brand of bravado-less introspection, Martin -- a man once given to lyrical proclamations like, "I never meant to cause you trouble" -- has morphed into an attention-hungry rock star with no shortage of sex-bomb swagger.

Thank goodness for that.

Monday at the Forum, during the first of two sold-out shows that kicked off Coldplay's current world tour, Martin and his bandmates succeeded in proving onstage what strong sales of "Viva la Vida" have suggested on paper -- that right now there is no bigger rock group on the planet. "I can tell this is gonna be a good one," Martin announced after the band opened with the new album's “Violet Hill,” and he was right.

Goaded into experimentation by the producer Brian Eno, perhaps best known for doing the same with Martin's beloved U2, Coldplay shakes up its sound on "Viva la Vida," embroidering songs with sensual Latin grooves, African-inspired guitar lines and bleary keyboard textures Eno might've found on an old tape left over from the sessions for "Achtung Baby."

The music's textural adventurousness is matched by a renewed emotional vitality; these openhearted pleas for peace, love and understanding don't sound stifled, as older Coldplay material sometimes has, by an air of apology.

That yen for connection defined the band's 90-minute set Monday, which drew from "Viva la Vida" as well as from Coldplay's first three albums. Dressed in the vintage military garb they've apparently selected as the new CD's sartorial representation, the four musicians played on a relatively bare-bones set before a backdrop emblazoned with the Eugène Delacroix painting that serves as "Viva la Vida' "s cover.

In place of the Jumbotrons that usually flank the stage in an arena show, video was funneled to a tiny TV sitting atop a bank of keyboards.

The motivating idea wasn't so much a rejection of spectacle -- these guys love nothing more, as demonstrated by the butterfly-shaped confetti that fell to the floor during "Lovers in Japan" -- as it was a minimization of distraction.

Fortunately, the band mostly repaid the audience's attention: Martin sang his little heart out, hitting unlikely high notes while doing dance moves he appeared to have learned by watching clips of toddlers on YouTube.

During "Viva la Vida," Will Champion bashed away at an enormous kettle drum placed at center stage. Guitarist Jonny Buckland filled the Forum with playing that alternated between tart lead lines (as in "Strawberry Swing") and atmospheric washes (as in "The Scientist"). And bassist Guy Berryman anchored the music with a dependably steady pulse, even hinting at a submerged sense of funk in "Lost!"

On several of the weirder cuts from the new album, including "Yes" and "42," Coldplay didn't quite muster its in-studio precision, which made the songs seem unformed rather than unconventional. However risky it's become, this is still a band that thrives on big hooks, and when those disappeared, so did the concert's energy.

The same went for Martin's decision near the end of the show to present a video of Bill O'Reilly calling the singer a "pinhead" on the Fox News Channel. Petulance is rarely thrilling. Of course, an inability to countenance criticism often accompanies a transition into top-tier rock stardom, so it's probably unreasonable to expect a performance as powerful as Monday's without at least a splash from Martin's bottle of whine.

In this economy, that trade-off resembles a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-coldplay16-2008jul16,0,1101653.story

wow great review again!:)

“Welcome to the first night of our tour since we became the new version of our band,” Martin remarked halfway in.

I find this quote so interesting. This must be why they are focusing on new music during the tour and really just the standouts from previous records, IMO.

Um this is what bands do to propmote their new album, expecting quite a few attendees haven't yet bought the new "album" ... then they get those people stoked on the new material, thus they buy the new "album", and consequently the boys make more $$$. Nowadays there is less money on sales though due to illegal downloads/burning, but nonetheless, new album promoting through strong/thorough coverage in the concert is an indirect way to make more $$$

Who can blame them? They gotta make a living. It's another reason why ticket prices for concerts have got up so much the last decade or so.

On top of all that, the boys are excited about the new material, being creative artists, and more-or-less bored w/ "old" material.

I'm a RUSH fan, and you should see what they have to choose from w/ 18 studio abums over a 30+ year career. BUT they still do & have played 3 hour concerts for at least 2 decades, since their discography allows them that selection.

BUT no one fan is probably ever 100% satisfied, right? Hell I'd like them to play all 4 albums in their entirety... ubviously unreasonable.

I would like to see more songs, but I'll be blissfully smiling at 11:30pm tonight!!!