✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Grande] 14-Jul-08: Forum, Inglewood, CA - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they can't please everyone. And the more music COLDPLAY release, the harder it becomes to choose a fair variety of all the songs.

I mean, ten years down the track, when we have 3,4,5 more COLDPLAY albums, it's going to be virtually impossible to choose all the greatest songs + the newest ones and fit it into a 1.5 - 2 hour concert.

I think a setlist of 17+ is a fair effort. I mean, of course I'd love to stay there all night and be serenaded by Chris and the boys for the rest of my life, but performing is a really tiring thing.

I'm extremely satisfied with the song choices and the overall length. And I think those that are all like; "...Oh, it's lame. Only 20. Half of them are short...", should either be appreciative or just:

Shut. The. Hell. Up.

Alright. That's said and done. I'm going to bed now. Nice chatting with the few of you still on the boards; Mimixxx, Zeya, yellowtalk, FlorianLey.

Night all. :D

I agree, 17+ is a fair effort, it's just not spectacular, and to leave out a song like Politik is pretty disappointing, to say the least. I don't think Coldplay will ever play a two hour set - and as you say, with each new album more and more of the old ones will have to be dropped.

You guys think $40 is a lot for a concert, My dad just paid $470 dollars for the one in Boston. Its Freggin rediculous. Each ticket was $198. We baught 2 tickets and then thay added on a bunch of fees. Greatt show though, I CAN'T wait for some pics and videos!!!

Coldplay re-emerges tremendously at sparkling tour kickoff

coldplay0715kas6_.jpgcoldplay0715kas7_.jpgcoldplay0715kas9_.jpg

“I can tell this is gonna be a good one,” Chris Martin declared just two songs into Coldplay’s rousing tour kickoff Monday night at the Forum, the English band’s first of two shows at the hallowed arena.

Even at that point, after the crowd erupted for “Violet Hill,” singing along as if its melody were as ingrained as those of “Clocks” or “Yellow,” it wasn’t hard to determine why Martin felt so optimistic. Here, like at no Southern California show the quartet has played, you could feel waves of ecstasy and electricity rippling through the audience the way they so often do at U2 shows – that overwhelming, inspirational sensation Coldplay has been aiming to achieve all along, and now finally has.

The fervency was palpable and rarely waned; the enthusiasm for and familiarity with material from the band’s justly acclaimed but not even month-old fourth album, Viva la Vida or Death and All his Friends, was startling, fans strongly responding to new stuff as U2 fans did at the time of The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree, or, more recently, like the instant reaction that followed the arrival of Green Day’s American Idiot and My Chemical Romance’s The Black Parade. And the performance itself was tremendous overall, despite the occasional cracked vocal (Martin’s falsetto gave out at one point during “Square One”) and a few flubbed starts during attempts at new arrangements – like the retooled opening to “Speed of Sound,” for instance, which hadn’t been completely worked out.

That they weren’t afraid to let some stitching show, however, was endearing, humanizing compared to U2, which typically strains to have every last kink ironed out before opening night. Such minor errors were also negligible in the face of such an engaging, at times enveloping show — one perhaps not so ironically held on Bastille Day, considering the group’s peasant-revolutionary garb and the use of Delacroix’s iconic painting “Liberty Leading the People” as backdrop here and Vida la Vida cover image. For once, Coldplay has ditched the austerity that has defined its previous tours and designed a sparkling, colorful, intimate production – loaded with lasers, framed by Stones-y catwalks and an enormous backdrop, and sporting several reflective balls that often resembled giant Christmas ornaments (and owe more than a little to similarly ghostly and up-close video tricks Radiohead has used for years).

And the group has one great gimmick up its sleeve – better than throwing in “Clocks” and “In My Place” so early into the set, better than the tribal tom-tom and clanging bell employed during “Viva la Vida,” better than the butterfly confetti that accompanies a main-set-closing “Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love,” better than the INXS-ish groove concocted for an abbreviated “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” and what I think was “Chinese Sleep Chant” while the quartet was amassed amid white-hot footlights at the end of one of the stage extensions.

Toward the end of the performance, just as it seems they’re wrapping up to await the traditional encore, the guys instead book it through the crowd, winding up high in the loge section at the opposite end of the arena, where they lead a sing-along on a mandolin-tinged “Yellow” and then let drummer Will Champion handle lead vocals on the just-released country-spiritual download “Death Will Never Conquer.”

“Sometimes you gotta visit the cheap seats,” Martin said. The crowd understandably went bananas for the move – more so than the Stones sauntering out to second base or Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora strumming acoustic guitars just off center ice, this was an intimate moment like you rarely find at large-scale concerts these days. It was as fresh and compelling as Coldplay’s show itself, a burst of energy so infectious and invigorating (and so resolutely focused on the new, as only “Cemeteries of London” was left out) that even staunch X&Y fans must now realize just how uncertain the band was during that transitional period three years ago.

“Welcome to the first night of our tour since we became the new version of our band,” Martin remarked halfway in. He’s got a point — this is a dramatically improved Coldplay. Here at last, just as he and his mates have insisted they would all along, they have risen to the excitement level of the forebears they so obviously emulate. When next I encounter a cynic who says all the great populist bands are dying off – the ones that can bring together disparate audiences behind a joyful noise – I’ll buy ’em tickets for a Coldplay gig.

Main set: Life in Technicolor / Violet Hill / Clocks / In My Place / Viva la Vida / 42 / Yes / The Scientist / Chinese Sleep Chant* / God Put a Smile Upon Your Face / Square One / Speed of Sound / Trouble / Lost! / Strawberry Swing / Yellow / Death Will Never Conquer / Fix You / Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love

Encore: Death and All His Friends

* Best guess, and radically rearranged from the fade-out of the new album. Anyone who knows better and believes it was a different song I’m just forgetting, please correct me.

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2008/07/15/coldplay-re-emerges-tremendously-at-sparkling-tour-kickoff/

Wow! Fantastic review. And even though I wasn't there, I do believe they deserved it. They have seemingly put their complete heart and soul on this record and will now lay it all out on the stage for us each night. Congrats to the guys! They deserve every accolade they receive for they are making millions of people happy in their everyday lives. And correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't that just a little of what life's about?

NO videos of DAAHF yet?? Come on, that song has to be jaw-dropping live. Why couldn't they have at least practiced it at MSG? :laugh4:

There is a video. Look back a couple of pages where all those vids are. It's there.

“Welcome to the first night of our tour since we became the new version of our band,” Martin remarked halfway in.

I find this quote so interesting. This must be why they are focusing on new music during the tour and really just the standouts from previous records, IMO.

There is a video. Look back a couple of pages where all those vids are. It's there.

Thank you! Totally missed that, although I could discern almost nothing from it except a few guitar bars. Suppose it's better than nothing, though!!

Start Time

How good was the opening band last night, wondering if I need to be there at 730, or if a little later might be cool. Also, the Merch lines, were they horrible, how long did it take for anyone to get some merch? drinks? how long did that take? were there a lot to accommodate or are you searching, to find long lines?

SHOW HIGHLIGHTS:

Being two rows away from the guys as they played Yellow and Death Will Never Conquer in the "cheap seats", as Chris called them.

Violet Hill and Viva la Vida got just as big cheers as the old standbys.

The "techno" version of GPASOYF is brilliant.

For me, the song that sounded best was Lost! There was just a nice energy about it.

As for people asking about the opening acts, they weren't anything special. They're not a waste of your time, but you wouldn't be missing too much either.

d

Thanks for all the info guys, I couldn't stay up very long last night.:laugh3:

Anyway for those complaining, they might change the set list a bit as the tour goes on. Remember what Chris said that what works in one city might not work as well in another, so hopefully they'll keep changing it up.

Coldplay Kicks Off Summer Tour In Los Angeles

Coldplay opened its North American tour last night (July 14) at the Forum in Los Angeles, treating the sold-out crowd to a career-spanning, 20-song set list. The 90-minute show, complete with floating video globes, confetti and flashing laser beams, went heavy on new material in various different incarnations on multiple stages throughout the venue, including a two-song jaunt up in the top most colonnade of arena seats.

"I can tell it's gonna be a good one," singer Chris Martin told the audience while catching his breath after "Violet Hill" -- the first single from the band's new, chart-topping, "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends."

Content to let layers of pre-recorded backing tracks fill out most of the new songs, Martin was free to spend much of the evening hopping, skipping and jumping around the stage like an over-caffeinated gymnast, while his bandmates -- guitarist Johnny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman, and drummer Will Champion -- tucked into their instruments behind him with satisfactory aplomb.

Barring a few to-be-expected missteps along the way, (missed instrumental cues in "Death and All His Friends," botched parts in "Speed of Sound") the show moved like clockwork, as teams of stagehands hustled to move pianos and makeshift drum kits back and forth onstage between songs.

Clever enough to try and keep the audience from getting too bored at any given time, the group successfully interjected a variety of audio and visual amusements throughout the evening. Peppering new material with at least two songs from each of its previous three albums, Coldplay offered older hits like "Clocks" and "In My Place" early in the set.

Eight songs in, the group decamped to a smaller platform that extended outward from the right side of the main stage into the crowd for "Chinese Sleep Chant" and "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face", both of which featured a leaner guitar-and-bass arrangement, as well as sampled 808 electronic drums.

Back on the main stage, the group wisely ditched the orchestral backing tracks, albeit temporarily, for stripped-down versions of "Trouble" and "Speed of Sound," the latter of which sounded refreshingly under-rehearsed.

Later, the group was led by security onto the floor and up the stairs of the venue to a third platform all the way up in the highest group of the Forum's seats, where, huddled together like sardines, it performed acoustic versions of "Yellow" and "Death Will Never Conquer," which featured Champion on lead vocals.

Los Angeles in certainly no stranger to big-budget, high-production-value extravaganzas, and as Martin befittingly joked, "Where better than to kick off the paid professional entertainment portion of our tour!" Coldplay returns to the Forum again tonight.

Here is Coldplay's set list:

"Life in Technicolor"

"Violet Hill"

"Clocks"

"In My Place"

"Viva La Vida"

"42"

"Yes"

"The Scientist"

"Chinese Sleep Chant"

"God Put a Smile Upon Your Face"

"Square One"

"Speed of Sound"

"Trouble"

"Lost!"

"Strawberry Swing"

"Yellow"

"Death Will Never Conquer"

"Fix You"

"Lovers In Japan"

"Death and All His Friends" / "The Escapist"

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003827530