✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

22-Jul-08: Chicago - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys im gonna hit the hay for tonight. I still have to convert a few files so I can cut them into individual clips. I was so into the show I just kept rolling most of the time. I will post some other stuff tomorrow during the day

Haha so.much.information. :bomb:

I love it when regular posters go to these shows, they always tell us what we want to know! :lol:

Unplanned Chris and Will encore? Lost video? Chris mentioning Jonny's sign? :o

Sounds epic!

Then the boys moved the back of the arena for an acoustic version of the Scientist. The crowd again was happily singing and clapping. At the end of the song though Chris said that they were trying new things in Chicago and he said that it was the first time they performed the Scientist in that version and that it would probably be the last. :( Not sure what he was talking about though because the song sounded amazing.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry: I'd love to hear an acoustic Scientist :angry:

I found an official review:

Coldplay swings for the balconies, and even plays in them

On its 2006 tour, Coldplay figured out how to supersize its shows. Once a fluff-up-the-pillow band of balladeers, built on Chris Martin’s falsetto voice and upright piano, the British quartet muscled up and swung for the rafters, in keeping with its status as a multimillion-selling franchise capable of filling sports arenas around the globe.

With its fourth and latest album, the cumbersomely titled “Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends,” Coldplay tackles big subjects (death, the afterlife) with an equally big sound, brimming with nuances sculpted by producer Brian Eno.

It’s the type of album designed to fill stadiums, and Coldplay swept into the United Center on Tuesday for the first of two concerts with a certain been-there, done-that confidence, if not swagger. “Swagger” and “Coldplay” are words that rarely belong in the same sentence, because Martin and his bandmates have always carried themselves with a scruffy, almost sheepish charm. Yet with “In My Place,” Martin was winding up his left arm and thrusting it skyward like he was throwing uppercuts at the heavens each time the chorus kicked in. With the lights up and the whole house singing along, it was the kind of crowd-pleasing gesture that Martin now delights in.

At other moments, he was the slightly goofy, ever-smiling, ever-earnest cheerleader, U.K. rock’s answer to dithering actor Hugh Grant. Martin pranced around the stage with gawky enthusiasm, leading sing-alongs at every opportunity and waving his arms like a traffic cop at a busy intersection. It all worked because he’s got the Big Music to back it up. Drummer Will Champion rattled his drum kit with eye-catching flourishes, jutting his left arm upward before bringing it down. Guitarist Jonny Buckland is not a speed guitarist; rather, in the grandiose tradition of Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, U2’s the Edge or Oasis’ Noel Gallagher, he played patiently, framing each note and riff with lots of dramatic space. Nor did bassist Guy Berryman overplay. That role was left to the myriad backing recordings the band used to fatten its sound.

The quartet’s latest trick, honed with Eno, is to cobble together bits of what sound like different songs into epic statements. In another time and place, this might’ve been called progressive rock, but with Coldplay it’s more about creating contrasts and mood swings than showing off their instrumental technique. This approach worked particularly well on “42,” a four-part suite-like track that veered from Coldplay’s balladeer comfort zone into more dissident terrain and then back again.

If there’s a weakness, it’s that Coldplay tries to create a sense of profundity where there isn’t any. What’s with the French Revolution-era painting as a backdrop and the tattered neo-military get-ups? They’re really nothing more than eye candy, just like the green lasers and giant orbs that doubled as video screens. Martin’s lyrics toss around big concepts, but he’s best when he sticks to good, old-fashioned heartbreak as a subject.

Not that it mattered. In an arena, it’s all about creating an event. And Coldplay did so; it sang two acoustic songs amid the audience in the first balcony, and two more on a small stage on the floor. It also turned the audience into eager accomplices for “Lost,” which was performed twice for a future video.

The song warns against taking anything for granted. It’s advice Coldplay has taken to heart as it works the big rooms.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2008/07/coldplay-swings.html

OK Lori and I went down to the United Center early this afternoon to see if we could catch them coming in for sound check. WE walk around to where the loading dock is and we see Miller walking up the drive way, by the time we could get over there, he was gone and not sure where he went. The guard was also gone. :wink3: We were waiting when some guy on a bike comes uo and starts talking to us. Then while he's there, first a white van with tinted windows pulls in and Lori is freaking because she could see someone with a hat on. It drives down to the back entry and people are getting out and going into the venue, they are too far for us to tell who it is. Then comes 2 black GMCs with windows so dark that you can't see anything inside. They drive down the ramp and the big doors open and they drive into the venue. A little while later, they come back out empty and park down there. Shit that was the band. So we are kinda easing our way down the drive way and here comes the security man who tells us to get back to the side walk. :angry: Then Lori says hay isn't that bike dude down there! OMG he must have been sent here to distract us! Security man drives down to him and tosses him out. We couldn't ever figure out how he got down there. We went and picked up Mel and when we got back to the venue, we drove up and turned around at that gate just to fuck with security guy. A cop comes up to the window and says we can't go there and we say "oh we're just turning around" and security guy tells the cop "They know they can't be here I already had to throw them out."

meh! bad bike guy :angry:

Same here, sister! I was on the phone with Saffire and I said "Awwww! It's my signature song!"

Where are you staying, love? What are you ladies doing tomorrow?

Another stalking run, this time we are taking the famous sign to see if we can get them to at least roll down the fucking window. Must fuck with security dude since he gave us lip. :P

Then show #2 where I will be able to see something besides the back of people's heads.

I'm uploading some video right now so I have a link soon. I'll do some more after I get back to Houston...or maybe tonight if I can't sleep. :P

Someone can correct me on the exact words that Chris said this evening, I'm sure, but he said something about how he knows it's not always easy being a fan of Coldplay but that he was very appreciative that we all came out to see him.

I know that I am sometimes chastised by some of my friends for my fandom of Coldplay. It was nice (if not odd) that Chris mentioned it. I felt like he was really trying to personalize his interaction with the audience, which was really cool.

GREEN EYES

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Someone can correct me on the exact words that Chris said this evening, I'm sure, but he said something about how he knows it's not always easy being a fan of Coldplay but that he was very appreciative that we all came out to see him.

I know that I am sometimes chastised by some of my friends for my fandom of Coldplay. It was nice (if not odd) that Chris mentioned it. I felt like he was really trying to personalize his interaction with the audience, which was really cool.

I have that on video.

Viva La Vida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhIBgW2xFlE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhIBgW2xFlE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhIBgW2xFlE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Angie did Jonny and Chris go down the ramp for IMP like they usually do? :nice:
Yeah and I have that on video too. My connection at the hotel is slow as fuck so not sure how much video I will up load fro here. I was also far far away but tonight I will be right in front of said ramp of love. :sneaky:

And no Lori did not run across the chair and attack during the song. :laugh3:

ARGHHH. It's seriously only been 5 days and I'm feeling so nostalgic- I want to see them again!

You guys are so lucky, it sounds like your concert was the best yet. :D

I have extra tickets for Houston and offered them to Mel and Lori but they declined and I told them tonight after their show in Orlando, they are going to go into withdrawls and be kicking themselves for passing on Houston.