✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

16-Jul-09: Wireless Amphitheatre, San Diego, CA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Pho

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must confess that I am really not that into Coldplay, but I have to admit that last night was one amazing and unforgettable show.

The band gets extra points because of fan service:

The set list consisted mainly of fan favorites and I can say that I had heard most of the songs, although I’ve read that it was basically the same set list from other shows in their continuing Viva La Vida Tour.

For a moment, the band left the main stage and walked to a mini stage that was located in the middle right rows of the venue and played a couple of songs among the crowd. I thought that was very cool. But then, later on, they walked to ANOTHER mini stage in the Lawn Area way in the back of the venue (you know, the Mexican Section of the Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre) and it was right where we were standing!!! It was insane! They played 3 acoustic songs in that mini stage, including a cover of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” and we were right there with the band! I had never experienced anything like that at any other concert I’ve been to. Other artists should take note of what this band does for their fans.

There was a funny moment earlier in the show where lead singer Chris Martin fucked up in the first verse of “Yellow” and said that drummer Will Champion had given him an ugly look. He then had the audience sing along an “I am sorry Will” song for him.

Before the show ended, Martin acknowledged the opening acts Amadou & Mariam, and Kitty Daisy & Lewis. He then said that the audience would receive a free single CD of their song “Left Right Left Right Left” (which you can also download from the official Coldplay website), and we did, when we left the venue.

http://darthisma.blogspot.com/2009/07/coldplay-in-san-diego.html

WHAT YOU MISSED: Coldplay at Cricket

coldplay-wide-blog.jpgcoldplay-vert-blog.jpg

Even before Coldplay sent dozens of giant yellow balloons bouncing into the crowd to the accompaniment of their hit song, "Yellow," I knew this was going to be a great show. Coldplay knows how to have fun and at Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre in Chula Vista on Thursday night, they invited us to the party.

Singer Chris Martin treated the crowd like a bunch of friends, asking us join him in singing an apology to drummer Will Champion after he messed up part of the song. He also joked about the tailgating habits of Americans and repeatedly thanked the crowd -- with apparent sincerity, and once in Spanish -- for singing along.

The band wandered down from the stage twice in the evening to play short sets out in the crowd. The second time, they were standing 30 feet away from me in the lawn seats when they broke into Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean."

Laser lights and swirling confetti added to the spectacle without detracting from band's energetic music and compelling lyrics.

Before the show, text messages from fans screaming COLDPLAY RULES!!!! scrolled across the giant screens at Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre in Chula Vista.

The diehard fans were right, Coldplay rocks.

http://www.signonsandiego.com

Coldplay ‘vivas’ their ‘vida’ at Cricket Amphitheatre

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXxv2Tse5As]YouTube - Coldplay - Billie Jean[/ame]

British alt-pop band Coldplay thrilled a packed house at Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre Thursday night, performing their decreasingly-unique brand of melancholic piano jams to the thousands in attendance. Playing mostly cuts off of their 2008 release “Viva La Vida,” frontman Chris Martin and Co., used an array of dazzling lights and lasers and clever camera angles to enhance the visual experience.

In addition, in typical Coldplay fashion, they had fan interactivity as well, including releasing giant yellow balloons which spectators bounced around like beach balls, during the band’s signature single “Yellow.” Martin also urged fans to start a “cell phone lights wave,” and eager concertgoers obliged, holding up their phones and doing the wave from left to right, in a unique dazzling display.

But the highlight of the night (at least for those in the nosebleeds) was the band’s mini-set performed smack dab in the middle of the lawn seats. Joined by guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion, Martin performed “Green Eyes,” “Death Will Never Conquer,” and a special cover version of the late Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean.” (see video)

It was a real treat for those close enough to shoot pictures or video of the worldwide sensation. Upon leaving after Billie Jean, my friend whose name is coincidentally enough Michael Jackson (no joke), shouted “One more for the peons!,” followed by “We paid the least amount to see you!” Unfortunately, neither of these were enough to keep the boys there for additional songs.

Whether you like Coldplay or not, there’s no denying their global appeal. Undoubtedly, one of the most popular bands in the world, shows like the one Thursday night are the reason why.

http://www.sdnn.com/

The diehard fans were right, Coldplay rocks.

But, OF COURSSSSE:smug: :laugh3:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4SRh7ZLvM]YouTube - Coldplay "Yellow" @ Cricket Ampitheater[/ame]

This vid is so great! It perfectly captures the euphoric chaos that is Yellow live, with all the balloons!:lol: You don't know where to direct your attention---the balloons attacking you or the band playing right in front of you:P Oh and a whole crowd apologizing to Will on Chris's behalf:laugh3: I wish that most deadly look he gave Chris was caught on vid though!:sneaky:

Pit, front row was amazing! Got to meet the lovely Joe, as well as Erick, who had an awesome "Chris Martin" jacket! :P Coolest Coldplayers!

Sang every single song and LiJ was Amaaaazzziiiing. The girl next to me got Will's mallot thing he uses to play VLV and I got to touch it. So cool. Guy saw my shirt! Haha, overall, what a great night!

Pit, front row was amazing! Got to meet the lovely Joe, as well as Erick, who had an awesome "Chris Martin" jacket! :P Coolest Coldplayers!

Sang every single song and LiJ was Amaaaazzziiiing. The girl next to me got Will's mallot thing he uses to play VLV and I got to touch it. So cool. Guy saw my shirt! Haha, overall, what a great night!

Awww Lina!!! Ya im glad that you came and we finally got to meet:nice:

Yes LIJ was amazing, with all the butterflys:D Oh ya and that girl, her face lit up when the guy gave her the stick!

what a night to remember. got to the venue like 5 hours early. joe saved me a spot. my first coldplay luck of the day, well sort of . the oxfam lady i forgot her name saw me wearing a make trade fair shirt. and was like that is an old shirt. come by later and i'll give you a new one. so i was set on meeting her later. anyways so we get in the venue and run for it. and we were front row right on jonny's side in the pit. along with lina and joe. who are awesome! then as i'm waiting to my surprise the oxfam lady comes and finds me and is "i knew you would be in the pit. i didn't bother looking in the seats. can i take a pic of you for the oxfam twitter." lol so i guess i'm on the twitter for oxfam. the opening acts were great! coldplay came on and it was amazing! i can't even describe how great it was. anyways so i was waving my shirt that the lady gave me and says MTF and a big green = sign and chris saw me and waved at me! i couldn't believe it. i was also right next to camera guy and after i heard that girl got the mallet i was like you have to give me something! and he was like ok ok relax. i think i annoyed him but oh well. so he hands me a setlist but the guy next to me tried to take it so a bit of it is ripped but you can still see all the songs on it! and he gave me friend one. my friend got a jonny's setlist! overall great show. best night of my life.

edit: and i saw phil at the beginning. i'm kicking myself for not calling out his name!

oh and i found the twitter

http://twitter.com/sohfresh

the concert was SPECTACULAR!!!!! whoever is in charge of the lights is a genius. all effects were incredible. i actually like some songs even better after hearing them live! and i have to say, one of my favorite parts was the bille jean cover!! the whole crowd screaming michael jackson's added shouts... sooo fun!!!

it was my first concert and i'm glad it was coldplay. =) simply unforgettable.

Go Erick!

SOOOOOO happy for you Erick!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

:wings::wings::wings:

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

:sunny::sunny::sunny:

:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

:crown::crown:crown::crown::crown:

:whistle::whistle:

:hug: