✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

14-Mar-09: Coldplay to play Sydney Bushfire Benefit Show, Sydney, Australia [Live broadcast Triple J

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25187470-5001021,00.html

Coldplay are Aussies for a day at Sound Relief

March 15, 2009 12:00am

0,,6531221,00.jpg

IT was the perfect start to Sound Relief: Coldplay, the world's biggest band, performing the iconic song You're The Voice alongside veteran rocker John Farnham.

The unusual musical pairing was a hit with the energetic crowd at the Sydney Cricket Ground - and went a long way to ensuring that yesterday was a music event to remember.

Victorian bushfires: News, photos, video and more

Gallery: All the pictures from both Sound Relief gigs

Interactive gallery: Black Saturday horror revealed

Farnham, 58, came out of retirement for the one-off performance with Coldplay's effortlessly charismatic lead singer Chris Martin saying he felt like an "honorary Australian".

"When you come to Australia and you've only really got two hit singles, which we've already played before, you think to yourself, how am I going to impress everyone from row one to row 5000?," Martin said. "Ladies and gentleman, please welcome to sing the Australian national anthem - John Farnham."

Coldplay was given the task of opening Sound Relief in Sydney, while a simultaneous concert was held in Melbourne.

And the band didn't disappoint.

The UK band began their set of seven songs with their hit, Yellow, as dozens of massive yellow balloons were thrown around in the crowd. They also performed Lost, Viva La Vida and Clocks.

"We are proud to be starting this whole day off," Martin said to rapturous applause and cheers from the stadium crowd.

"For all us foreign guests today, it is the only day we can claim to be honorary Australians . . . thanks for letting us be part of this very special day."

Farnham joined Coldplay onstage for the band's sixth song, confirming one of the event's worst kept secrets.

During Coldplay's final song, Martin leapt off the stage and ran through the crowd, making it half the length of the SCG.

During his dash, he embraced and high-fived fans before taking refuge on one side of the stadium.

Martin then managed to make his way back to the stage and sing the remainder of the song Fix You.

Up to 45,000 people crammed into the Sydney Cricket Ground to see the 14 live acts, including Taylor Swift, The Presets and Josh Pyke.

In Melbourne, Jet kicked off proceedings, followed by Gabriella Cilmi, Kings of Leon, Augie March, Jack Johnson, Kasey Chambers, Paul Kelly, Split Enz and Midnight Oil.

Cilmi, who made a flying trip to Australia from the UK where she is recording her second album, said she had friends who had been affected by the recent bushfires.

"It's pretty close to home," she told a press conference. "I know people that have been affected, people that have had to evacuate their houses."

Pouring rain and chilly temperatures in the Victorian capital failed to dampen the festive mood, with as many as 80,000 packing into the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Many also donned green and yellow plastic raincoats in a show of patriotism.

Playing both Sydney and Melbourne shows were the rock bands Jet and Wolfmother.

Organisers at Chugg Entertainment and Frontier Touring expected the combined events to raise more than $5 million for the Victorian Bushfire Appeal and Queensland flood victims.

Wolfmother lead singer Andrew Stockdale said Sound Relief was one of the most significant events in Australian music history.

"It's an enormous historic moment," he said.

"It's the biggest event in Australian history that just shows what this country does - it gets behind people when they are down and out."

Presenters introducing the big name acts at the SCG included radio and television personalities Ian Dickson, Kate Ritchie and Tim Ross, actors Jack Thompson and David Wenham and cricketer Shane Warne.

"I've played the cricket ground many times, but I've never seen it as packed as this," Warne said.

"To all of you who came out here today, thank you very much, it's a great cause."

The bumper entertainment line-up ended with a comeback performance by the Bee Gees' Barry Gibb and Olivia Newton John, performing Islands In The Stream.

A minute's silence was also held at 7.45pm to honour the 210 lives that were lost during Australia's worst natural disaster.

Guest howyousawtheworld

BLOODY AMAZING!

If some of you haven't seen it already then I suggest you go and look at Coldplay's Fix You performance at the Sound Relief concert! With Chris running into the crowd... it has to go down as the best live moment of Coldplay yet! So AWESOME, it should go down with U2 performing Sunday Bloody Sunday at Red Rocks and Queen at Live Aid! Bloody fantastic! Chris Martin you are the ultimate entertainer!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZORJRMM1XM&feature=related]YouTube - Coldplay - Fix You from sound relief 2009 Chris Martin crowd run[/ame]

lol that was pretty cool, I have a feeling he got a little more than he bargained for there but ... I kinda feel for the guy. I mean his celebrity level is such that its hard for him to do the interaction stuff, but he seems like a naturally really sociable and fun guy so maybe just once he wanted to do something on a whim lol. I don't think he'll be trying that again any time soon though. Kinda reminded me of the Twisted Logic Tour, when everything wasn't so choreographed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH0q91RUTyk]YouTube - Coldplay - John Farnham + Coldplay Live 'You're The Voice' performance at Sound Relief Gig[/ame]

COLDPLAY AND JOHN FARNHAM "YOURE THE VOICE" PERFORMANCE..added to the 1st post!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HS5PIEmCAs]YouTube - Coldplay - Fix You from sound relief 2009 Chris Martin crowd run and chased[/ame]

CHRIS MARTIN RUNS INTO THE CROWD AND GETS CHASED!

For the ones who havent seen it yet..the post i made was deleted:embarassed:

Aww come on, you can't seriously think Chris did that not knowing what he was getting himself into! I mean, he is and international superstar and all... :P I think it just helped him to express how much he feels for all of us affected by the bushfires and floods.. and good on him! He's such a legend!

Vid of the whole thing should be up soon, sit tight! :D

Sound Relief was so awesome! The crowd went wild when John Farnham came on, it was the highlight of the day! Everyone was singing along to You're The Voice. I think maybe part of Chris' run into the crowd was also to add some extra excitement after the duet. I truly don't think the security were impressed though.

A few yellow balloons got carried by the wind right out of the stadium! How funny to be the person walking along and randomly a giant balloon flies towards you :D

Also, Chris mentioned my section!! I think it was before VLV he said something about the entire crowd singing if their voices permitted and they knew the words, even if you're "all the way up there in section 317"!! I felt special, even though it was just a coincidence.

A great day!

hey everyone, I'm a newbie here, but I thought you guys would want to see some of the pics I took of Chris at Sound Relief during the crowd run. It was pretty awesome, happened so quickly. There's a cool one of Chris running and everyone chasing him. The link is below:

http://theindiegirlsguideto.com/2009/03/15/close-encounters-coldplay/

Freakin' awesome, cheers for those!! :D

Whats happened in Australia is a tragedy, if Chris and the lads are able to lend their names to a worthy cause, I'm sure they will, besides they seem to enjoy springing surprises!:sneaky: they always have something up their sleeve!:curtain:

Haha!! Like jumping off the stage into the crowd, by any chance?? :P

hey everyone, I'm a newbie here, but I thought you guys would want to see some of the pics I took of Chris at Sound Relief during the crowd run. It was pretty awesome, happened so quickly. There's a cool one of Chris running and everyone chasing him. The link is below:

http://theindiegirlsguideto.com/2009/03/15/close-encounters-coldplay/

Nice pics:D This is my fave:lol:

p3140459.jpg?w=497&h=372

For the ones who havent seen it yet..the post i made was deleted:embarassed:

no posts have been deleted!

you got there before me, Ian :p

All that has happened is your thread was merged into this thread. The reason for that is that the main site & WikiColdplay both link to this thread, to highlight where you can find videos, photos & discussion of the event. :)