✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

23-May-2009: Comcast Theatre, Hartford, CT, USA

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the birthday wishes. This is the first part of my recap of the day, it's not very brief.

I got to Christa's house around 1130am and thus began this excellent Coldplay adventure. I met Christa, Steph, and Noelia for the first time. We figured out how to update her Twitter profile while we waited for Pris and Sarah. Yes, Christa literally jumped into the street when she saw them coming. The drive up was nice, hit a little bit of traffic but time flies when you are with good company and music.

We got to the entrance to the parking lot around 250pm and had to wait 10 mins before they let us in. So we were the first to get inside, but I did notice the "drunk girls' butterflies & Coldplay emblazoned SUV near the entrance. So Christa parked the car and then we proceeded to figure out what was going on and the bathroom situation. So obviously we went to the line and cold_love23 and her sister introduced themselves to our group. And we also met Chelsea after we didn't know where the McDonald's was. We spent the time on the line eating, chatting, drinking, and we made 2 small posters with Christa's big bag of art supplies. Christa brought beautiful butterfly cookies for us too.

As it got closer to gate opening time(6:30pm), everyone got antsy and looked ready to bolt. The ticket lady hesitated with the ticket scanner and slowed me down for a few seconds. I freaking sprinted like I was in the 100M race. The scene looked like the running of the bulls w/o the bulls, the obstacles were Hooters girls. I also think someone ran in my path, luckily no one fell down as the flooring was a little slippery. It got fairly heated once we got to the entrance to the GA area since it was so unorganized. People got loud with each other. Two women got way not cool, very unbecoming of a CP concert. Once they finally figured out what to do, they let us go in single file and it was another dash. We all ran to the center towards Guy's side and had to stay there until the end of the show.

Howling Bells were a good opening act, they were complimentary to CP. I thought the bassist? with the facial hair was a hottie, the lead singer is very pretty lady. Pete Yorn & Co were great too and he covered one of my favorite songs of all time, New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle. I don't know if I was one of the only people singing along to that.

Review from Hartford Courant, link

Coldplay Turns In A High Energy Show At Comcast Theatre

By LEAH IGDALSKY Coldplay has plenty of reasons to be pompous. The London-based rock band has won seven Grammy awards, and is currently one of the biggest acts in the world. Still, in its Saturday night performance at the Comcast Theatre in Hartford, the group displayed humility and appreciation, genuinely thanking its fans for its current success.

Early on, lead singer Chris Martin promised to give "eight-million percent" effort, because he appraised his last Hartford performance as "less than fantastic." Coldplay redeemed itself through a nearly two-hour set of nonstop energy.

"Speed of Sound" grew from ethereal piano to a swirl of thrashing guitar and drums, backed by cryptic lyrics of questions and answers. Martin yelped in falsetto behind a piano draped with a flag for "Viva La Vida," the band's latest album, as multicolored laser lights rushed across the stage.

Coldplay started "Yellow" with electric fervor before calming for its emotional lyrics and then rebuilding an attack on the chorus, accompanied by two dozen large, confetti-filled yellow beach balls bouncing through the packed arena.

"42" began as a piano-driven ballad, with black-and-white footage of the band playing projected on a screen, creating the feel of a mysterious film noir. The drums and bass picked up midway to craft a pounding, U2-like rock sound backed by flashing red and black images of the band, before closing with a return to the dramatic style of the song's opening.

After "Strawberry Swing," a rootsy tune with a jig-like feel, band members journeyed into the first tier of seats beyond the pit, where they tore through "Talk" atop a platform equipped with guitars and an upright piano. The rest of the band returned to the stage to allow Martin a spotlighted performance of "The Hardest Part," showcasing his nimble fingers and adroitness on the piano. After returning to the stage, Martin theatrically collapsed on his back, exhausted.

The band later ventured out onto the lawn, leading the crowd in a cellphone light wave throughout the theater, and improvising a song about the importance of playing for the people in the back of the arena. The band returned for an encore that included the simple, driving piano lines of "The Scientist."

Singer-songwriter Pete Yorn's pop with sensitive lyrics and a rough edge opened the show, mixing sentimental ballads and up-tempo, rock-tinged tunes, including some from his forthcoming record, "Back and Forth," to be released June 23.

Speed of Sound? Someone has their songs confused.

This was the first Coldplay show where I was in the floor section and I got to be in front row. :stunned: It was amazing. They had a lot of energy and seemed to be in good spirits. Chris made a point of saying that the last time they were in Hartford, Chris was not at feeling well and that they would try their best to make up for it. (Yes, I do have to agree it was apparent he was sick during that show.) They more than made up for it this time with a 2 hr extravaganza.

My personal highlight of the show have to be yellow balloon drop and the Lovers in Japan butterfly confetti just because I have never be in the middle of it. I got a good smack or two on some balloons. Lovers in Japan with the butterfly confetti is just breathtaking.

IMG_1746.jpg

Our section was smack in front of Guy, I like them all equally but I have to say Guy is even more gorgeous up close. He doesn't make that much eye contact, but I also think he doesn't want ladies to spontaneously combust if he does. He did make smirks throughout the show.

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

I thought it was so cute when Lauren(cold_love23) started freaking out before VLV. Will was in the back center stage all night and a little hard to see behind the equipment so it was a treat to see him so close. I was holding up the small "The Rhythm is Bangin" sign as much as I could during that part(& when Guy was playing the drum).

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

Some of my other personal favorite pics:

If you are also a fan of "The Prisoner" than you'll understand.

th_IMG_1528.jpg

th_IMG_1606.jpg

th_IMG_1617.jpg

More to come.

i think noelia or someone said they thought jonny winked at us at the end, but i missed it if it happened.

OMG :wacky::bomb:

Great review Chelsea!

first video of mine!

again, apologies for the shaking, screaming, and singing. we were all a bit...excited, to say the least :P

Ahhhhhhhh! I got all excited just watching your video here! Ah! It was so good! Extremely happy for you girls! :dance:

jonny belly

coldplayhartford523089.jpg?t=1243220988

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first Coldplay show where I was in the floor section and I got to be in front row. :stunned: It was amazing. They had a lot of energy and seemed to be in good spirits. Chris made a point of saying that the last time they were in Hartford, Chris was not at feeling well and that they would try their best to make up for it. (Yes, I do have to agree it was apparent he was sick during that show.) They more than made up for it this time with a 2 hr extravaganza.

My personal highlight of the show have to be yellow balloon drop and the Lovers in Japan butterfly confetti just because I have never be in the middle of it. I got a good smack or two on some balloons. Lovers in Japan with the butterfly confetti is just breathtaking.

IMG_1746.jpg

congrats on being in the front row! :) This pic is too amazing! can't wait for more

Erica that pic of Guy and the butterflies is stellar, holy crap, that is a siggy pic if i ever saw one.

so more of the show. i forgot to mention when we were standing in line we had a Jackie sighting behind the gate, scared the crap out of me and we all thought of Angie. hehehe

the warm ups were good but we were there for one thing, the boys. they came on the stage from our side ( Guys ) with the sparkle candle thingy and we were so close i was cramming my neck for pics. they were behind the black neglige so it was too dark and went into LIT, one of my personal faves. the ramps were much shorter here and we were like right on top of them. when chris would come on them he moved so fast i could not get good pics but i am loving the dragon one with his belly showing - squeeeeeeeeeee

they loved all of our signs and we were totally jammin and showing the love - had no view of Jonny love to speak so that kind of sucked big time and the berrygirls were like listen lady we are going to guys side and your commmin, we really had no choice cause we wanted to be in front so that was what was left. we were so close i really could not see will at all, ah the trials of being in the front, spoiled that we are. Viva was incredible i thoght i video taped it but will have to look the floor was bouncing, glass of water was devine and the Politik took the cake, holy crap that song never ceases to make my hair stand on end. we were banging our arms in unison and Guy was like holy shit these girls get it and knew we were the real fans. One of my greatest moments as a fan. ok more to come have to show some love to carla and chavi thread

I fell asleep as I was typing out the post last time, that's what I get for being up at 230am. And I'm just tired from the last week of concerts & work and yesterday's beach trip. My voice is still gone as it was since probably 30 mins into the show. Here's some more of my favorites from the 282 best photos I kept from the 389 taken, I don't think it would be polite to post all 282 of them in big format. I really love the LIJ photos.

So many great photos posted on here this time, I think we outdid ourselves. I'm also glad that people were spread out so there's something for everyone.

This one has everyone in it:

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

That dog in that costume is a real kick.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

Here's the link to the album. I'm working on a slideshow and some nice stills from the 2 videos I took.

Here are some screen caps with guest appearances from the "In My Place" video I took which I am attempting to upload:

vlcsnap-65197.png

vlcsnap-67018.png

vlcsnap-68845.png

And once again, much thanks to our gracious host and driver, Christa. She went above and beyond with the whole day. I can't thank her enough.