✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Dec-2009: Exeter Castle, Exeter, UK - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Short post, much longer post to follow in the morning.

Have taken lots of video which I hope to upload to youtube/facebook/whatever works tomorrow. Was stood to left of the stage as you look at it about 4 rows back:cool:.

Can't actually process what happened this evening as being real at all at the moment. Beautiful venue, lovely music, fantastic evening. Not as cold inside the venue as I'd feared at all.

Went with my brother, stayed behind afterwards and one of the roadies gave me a couple of black plectrums with 'Vida la vida' written on them, then we met Jo Whiley - had no pen nor battery left on mobile nor film left in disposable camera so just told her absolutely loved the event, then my brother got her to speak on the phone to his fiancee :laugh3: as their parents live a few streets away from one another.

Blissful, my favourite 2 songs more for sentimentality reasons than anything else are The Scientist and Til Kingdom Come, they played both. I was at the back at the top of the stadium at the last of the September gigs and they didn't sing the latter then, they did this time and I nearly cried.

Best £50 I've ever ever spent. It's 1.40 am and I've got to go to bed though I'm still bouncing off the walls!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, thanks for coming here that late and tell us a little about the night!

Funny story about Jo and your brother's fiancee and good to hear they played those songs that made you happy!

Can't wait to see your videos and pictures and read the full review!!

Good night! :nice:

OMG what a day yesterday was!!!

I was one of the people lucky enough to meet Chris and Guy before the gig and never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get that chance. I still can't quite believe it's happened now.

A mention should go to Chris, Mich and Alison who made queueing in the cold much more interesting!! Also Carol, was great to meet you too hun!

Right, so we had been queueing for maybe about an hour and a half, when Chris's dad starts walking down towars us from the castle then we realise Chris is walking next to him!!! He was walking past where we were so he stopped and chatted to us for a bit.

He was really concerned about everyone keeping warm, I think at one point he said he didn't want anyone to die lol!! Bless him, he was lovely! I asked him if there was any chance they'd play Shiver and he said no. So I said what about if I told him I had camped outside HMV for 2 days for my tickets and he said that was crazy and deserved a mention on stage but they still wouldn't play Shiver. Then he said that Guy doesn't like to play it anymore and he also said they just can't play the song the way they used to for some reason :rolleyes:

Anyway, he had a picture taken with us four plus the two Italian guys, one of whom I think is Axe on this forum. :D

Then later on Guy arrived, he drove himself there so he gave us a little wave as he drove past us on the way in and then when he had parked his car he came over to say hello and signed some autographs, which I got and I also had a pic taken with Guy. He was also asked about Shiver and said they wouldn't play it. He also said they would probably be really rusty in the gig and I said I doubted that and he replied that he was glad someone had some confidence :D

Then a bit later Chris came back and that's when I got his autograph. He was in a rush so mine was the last autograph he did.

Now onto the gig (apologies if I'm rambling :laugh3:)

Our queueing up paid off and of course we got front row, so there was at least 5 Coldplayers on the barrier!!! :dance: I coudn't believe how tiny the marquee was and how close I was going to be to the stage when the guys came on.

It was practically a Viva set but the order was changed and they started with Chris singing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas before they launched straight into Clocks. I know someone posted the setlist already so I won't try and remember it :laugh4:

After the first three songs (clock, In My Place and Yellow) my throat was already going from the singing etc, not that I'm complaining. To see the band in that small a venue and to be front row and have them performing so close in front of me was amazing!! They still managed to sueeze a c stage in at the back and did Death Will Never Conquer, Billie Jean and Til Kingdom Come. All of which were fab!! 42, Strawberry Swing and Viva were also awesome. I got one of Chris's drumsticks that he threw into the crowd... well Chris (Jayzo) caught it and gave it to me, so to him I am so thankful, he's a legend and we're lucky to have him on this forum!!!

I think I'm going to stop rambling now and just finish off by saying that yesterday was THE most surreal day ever and it's one that I won't forget for a very long time!!!

(omg sorry about the length of this post :laugh3: )

I was one of the people lucky enough to meet Chris and Guy before the gig and . I got one of Chris's drumsticks that he threw into the crowd... well Chris (Jayzo) caught it and gave it to me, so to him I am so thankful, he's a legend and we're lucky to have him on this forum!!!

Were you the unlucky lady in front of me, who's camera broke just before Coldplay Came on?

oh yeah that was me!!! My camera had been playing up all day!!!

It also decided not to work as I was about to have the group pic taken with Chris earlier on in the day and when I had my pic with Guy so they're both on other people's cameras!!

At least I have them though :D

I take it you enjoyed the gig, you seemed to be last night :D :laugh3:

oh yeah that was me!!! My camera had been playing up all day!!!

It also decided not to work as I was about to have the group pic taken with Chris earlier on in the day and when I had my pic with Guy so they're both on other people's cameras!!

At least I have them though :D

I take it you enjoyed the gig, you seemed to be last night :D :laugh3:

hah yeah i did enjoy the gig, was amazing!! Met Chris after the show too.

Well ive got some photos if you want me to send them 2 you at all?

Thanks for your reviews!!! :)

It must have been amazing to see them playing in a small venue, especially if you were front row!! :dance:

And it's great you met Chris and Guy and talked to them! Congrat's ;)

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and videos (especially War is over!) :)

hah yeah i did enjoy the gig, was amazing!! Met Chris after the show too.

Well ive got some photos if you want me to send them 2 you at all?

Oh great! You met Chris too :D Seems like yesterday was a good day for Coldplayers!!!

If you could send me a few photos that would be fab. Thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM with my email addy etc :D

OMG what a day yesterday was!!!

I was one of the people lucky enough to meet Chris and Guy before the gig and never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get that chance. I still can't quite believe it's happened now.

A mention should go to Chris, Mich and Alison who made queueing in the cold much more interesting!! Also Carol, was great to meet you too hun!

Right, so we had been queueing for maybe about an hour and a half, when Chris's dad starts walking down towars us from the castle then we realise Chris is walking next to him!!! He was walking past where we were so he stopped and chatted to us for a bit.

He was really concerned about everyone keeping warm, I think at one point he said he didn't want anyone to die lol!! Bless him, he was lovely! I asked him if there was any chance they'd play Shiver and he said no. So I said what about if I told him I had camped outside HMV for 2 days for my tickets and he said that was crazy and deserved a mention on stage but they still wouldn't play Shiver. Then he said that Guy doesn't like to play it anymore and he also said they just can't play the song the way they used to for some reason :rolleyes:

Anyway, he had a picture taken with us four plus the two Italian guys, one of whom I think is Axe on this forum. :D

Then later on Guy arrived, he drove himself there so he gave us a little wave as he drove past us on the way in and then when he had parked his car he came over to say hello and signed some autographs, which I got and I also had a pic taken with Guy. He was also asked about Shiver and said they wouldn't play it. He also said they would probably be really rusty in the gig and I said I doubted that and he replied that he was glad someone had some confidence :D

Then a bit later Chris came back and that's when I got his autograph. He was in a rush so mine was the last autograph he did.

Now onto the gig (apologies if I'm rambling :laugh3:)

Our queueing up paid off and of course we got front row, so there was at least 5 Coldplayers on the barrier!!! :dance: I coudn't believe how tiny the marquee was and how close I was going to be to the stage when the guys came on.

It was practically a Viva set but the order was changed and they started with Chris singing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas before they launched straight into Clocks. I know someone posted the setlist already so I won't try and remember it :laugh4:

After the first three songs (clock, In My Place and Yellow) my throat was already going from the singing etc, not that I'm complaining. To see the band in that small a venue and to be front row and have them performing so close in front of me was amazing!! They still managed to sueeze a c stage in at the back and did Death Will Never Conquer, Billie Jean and Til Kingdom Come. All of which were fab!! 42, Strawberry Swing and Viva were also awesome. I got one of Chris's drumsticks that he threw into the crowd... well Chris (Jayzo) caught it and gave it to me, so to him I am so thankful, he's a legend and we're lucky to have him on this forum!!!

I think I'm going to stop rambling now and just finish off by saying that yesterday was THE most surreal day ever and it's one that I won't forget for a very long time!!!

OH MY GOD KAREN :dead: that sounds so perfect!!! I'm so happy for you! :nice: did your friends love it too (of course)? :wacky:

Thanks Linda.

Yes my other friends didn't queue with me cos I was with the crazy Coldplayers :laugh3: but they did enjoy it and said that the guys were fantastic live!!

Let's face it, we knew they would enjoy it, how could they not?! :D

i'm happy and gelous for the fans that could go to this gig:)

yesterday i was thinking maybe i should have traveled from israel to exeter just for the atmosphire, even if i couldn't get a ticket, i would have queued in the cold just to see chris.

i hope coldplay will make other intimate gigs.

Karen, thanks a lot for the detailed review, it was a nice read and I could feel your excitement through your words! :) I can only say it again: You're such a lucky fellow! Getting tickets for such an intimate gig, having a great time with lovely Coldplayers, meeting and talking with Chris & Guy and then ending up at the front - this really sounds like an absolutely PERFECT day to me! :D And I can totally imagine how surreal this must feel! :) I'm really happy for you that you were able to experience something like that! :hug:

Right, have uploaded a couple of vids to Facebook so I'm going to see if I can link to them here, if not, I'll try my hand at youtube :)

Here goes nothing.

http://www.facebook.com/v/209282933595

This is the best of my videos, In My Place. The rest came out ok but as were on mobile phone some were filmed unthinkingly portrait not landscape on my phone so are sideways on the computer, still OK though.

Sinking in now that that was real, my feet are still sore but my ears have stopped going 'eeeeeeeeeee' and I keep looking at the plectrum to check it's still there!

(Karen, were you the girl who fell over fighting for the drumstick at the end with the tall lad? Whoever that was, you go girl but I hope you're Ok! Also, if the girl with short brown hair in the 3rd row back to the left of the stage who was taking photos with a proper big camera is on here, I would love copies of some of your photos because I was literally right behind you!!)

Found these on YouTube, they're not mine ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON1WqFYyhgk]YouTube- coldplay exeter castle big noise gig[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fckF2sZVwE]YouTube- coldplay exeter castle big noise gig[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1keB6ClsoQg]YouTube- coldplay exeter castle big noise gig[/ame]

awwwwwwww! :D Thank you for the reviews, waiting for some viedeos!!! :)

(What does he say at the end of the song?!)

'How loud are we going to be tonight?'

Glad they work, will put links up to more later, I do actually have to brave the cold and do christmas shopping but I'll put more on when I can!

I love the idea that the show was supposed to be acoustic - someone should've told La Roux that!! (as my brother said, does anyone else think she danced how speed ice skaters race?) She was very sweet, had to agree with her, I thought it would be cold in there and it wasn't - yup, the girl who had to stand with all the coats between her knees? That was me. :blush:

I also like the idea that the Tiverton Brass Band members can go to work tomorrow and when asked 'What did you do on Saturday' can shrug nonchalantly and say 'Oh, nothing much, just filled in for Lily Allen, warming up for Coldplay, you know, the usual...'

wow, everything seems so exciting!!

thanks for sharing, you were so lucky guys but you made me feel there-well, almost, I can't see Chris and Guy around here, but anyway :laugh3:

can't wait to see/hear more from you!