✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Dec-2009: Exeter Castle, Exeter, UK - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of people said via PM that they were interested to see what I'd had signed by Chris and Guy yesterday so I went and took a pic and uploaded it:

P1030206.jpg

Album signed by Guy on the front, yes he took up the whole front cover :laugh3:

P1030207.jpg

Signed by Chris in the inside.

P1030205.jpg

My little collection from yesterday. Including Chris's drumstick (once again Chris when you read this THANK YOU SO MUCH!!) and a guitar pick (which quite a few people got as there was a guy who had a little bag of them at the end and he gave a fair few out)

I'M SO JEALOUS! :stunned:

Karen, your signed album is soooo cool!

I have my drumstick here on a shelf, if we'll ever meet we can play together :lol:

:laugh3::lol::laugh3:

Think we'd be good enough to take part in a Coldplay show? :sneaky::laugh3:

I'm not sure where I'll put mine yet...

Hey Rani! :kiss:

How's it going? I can't believe they're standing out there, it must be so freakishly cold :bomb:

Btw, does anyone know if Alison is there already? :uhoh:

I arrived minutes after Guy left :dozey:

Hi Pris!

I haven't heard anything from Alison so far. Her last tweet was 8 hours ago :shrug:

Sorry!

Most welcome Pris! I didn't tell her till I knew she'd arrived safely, but I'd been worried about her (and the others) driving in this weather...but all there safe and sound :)

I spent an hour on Friday night at a complete standstill... the M6 is a lot less dangerous when they don't let the cars move :P

Okay, I've been out and missed quite a lot :lol: Squeeee for front row! :dance:

Did Alison make it to Exeter???

Eventually, Mel! All the delays gave me plenty of time to think about my favourite ep of DC :laugh3:

Oh dear, I feel like such a bad Coldplayer for not tweeting yesterday after seeing you guys asking if I made it there ok :embarassed:

Basically, I had a really rough week at work, and a stressful journey down - even though I cut the journey in to two parts to supposedly reduce the hassle - I arrived feeling very tired and grouchy and just didn't have anything to say. Chris & Mich were doing an awesome job with the vivacrew tweets so I figured I'd just be repeating what they were saying. I didn't feel at all witty or interesting yesterday and didn't want to bring the mood down :(

Anyway, thanks to our amazing Chris & Mich I got to see this very special show. I'll post the best of my bad pix and video later and will get round to writing a review, just dropping by now to say, yes it was amazing, yes I am truly appreciative of how lucky I was to be there, and yes I am blessed to have met such wonderful people through this board.

Coldplay rock and so do their fans!

Review Part 1

Okay I haven't read through this thread so if I repeat anything forgive me, but want to get it all down before I forget.

Let me start by saying that as much as I adore this band, if anyone ever hears/sees me talking about standing outside for almost 7 hours in below freezing temperatures to see them in the future, please remind me of 19/12/09 :P I didn't think I'd ever feel my feet again, I had a pair of thick tights AND three pairs of thick socks and still they were numb. It was worth it in the end, but by god it was hard going at times. And pretty stupid too :P

Anyway. Karen, Chris and I met at about 11.30am and after picking up some supplies from Tesco we headed to the castle, there was no-one queuing so we were dithering for a while about what to do. We thought about going for a drink for a few hours and coming back. Thankfully, we did not. We figured we had nothing else to do and at this point is was still rather mild (well still just above freezing :P) The security guards were a bit taken aback at us queuing so early but they were friendly enough and said it was fine as long as we already had tickets.

About half an hour later we were joined by two Italian fans who had flown in that morning (one of them was axe, who posts here) and a mother and daughter that Chris and Karen knew from the HMV queue. We were all just standing around swapping Coldplay stories and since the only way cars could get into the castle was to drive past us we were squinting into every single vehicle that passed, however clapped out it may have been :P

At about 12.30 we saw someone who looked suspiciously like Chris Martin just casually walking out of the castle entrance, when he was close enough that we could see a certain striped beanie we knew it was him :P I don't think he expected anyone to have been there that early and looked a bit shocked when we called to him. He came over and asked us why we were there and we told him we were queuing for the gig and he was really concerned. Kept saying how long we had to wait and how cold it was. He was lovely as always and was chatting, but kept telling us over and over to make sure we went and got hot drinks and had breaks inside out of the cold :nice:

He told us he was on his way to meet his old music teacher but would happily pose for pictures. Kelly and his dad shared camera duties and took a group shot of us all with various cameras :nice: During the group shot I was shivering and Chris turned to me and said "look, make sure you take a break" I told him my hotel was literally around the corner and he was like "okay, good" :nice:

copy1.jpg?t=1261331076

Karen asked him to play Shiver to which he replied no, even though she had stood outside so long to buy tickets :P He said it'd never sound as good as it did and to ask Guy as he is the one who always vetoes it.

He was so very gracious and it was so sweet that he was genuinely concerned for us. Because it was spontaneous, none of us had expected he'd just wander on out, it was really relaxed and therefore I didn't make a fool of myself like like time :P

We were all obviously pumped for a good hour or so which was nice as it seemed to warm us all up (it had turned very cold by this point) just as we had all finished tweeting and replying to texts, calming down and were starting to feel the cold again we saw Kelly come back out of the castle. There was a some excitement as a car drove past so I looked into the passenger side to see Dave Holmes (Coldplay's manager) and was confused as to why everyone was so excited, not that Mr. Holmes isn't exciting, of course :P It turned out that Guy was driving and had waved on his way past. I had missed it as I was looking at Dave :lol:

Kelly went to meet him and he came to say hello :nice: He asked us how we were all doing and signed some autographs, someone mentioned what Chris said about Shiver and if they would play it and he was like "haha no"

He also agreed to take some photos with us (the one of me and Chris with Guy is on Chris' camera so I don't have that right now) I do have some of him signing autographs though :D

copy2.jpg?t=1261331063

copy3.jpg?t=1261331041

Edit: Guy pic (thanks Chris :D)

me_mich_guy.jpg

We told him to have a good gig and he went inside.

We were sad that Alison arrived mere minutes after he left :( But very happy to see her :D

About ten or fifteen minutes later two more blacked out cars drove past (presumably with Jonny and Will in) but they drove straight up to the marquee, I think they were eager to start soundcheck as it began shortly afterwards.

We were shocked by how loud it was, you could clearly hear every note and we were a fair way away from the marquee:

copy4.jpg?t=1261331147

I think we were all a little worried that we were going to go deaf later on :P I do have a video of the soundcheck (obv not of the band, but the queue as it was going on, I'll post it once it has uploaded)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmFXJqOOJF4]YouTube- Coldplay Exeter Homecoming - Soundcheck from the queue[/ame]

As the soundcheck had been going on a good twenty minutes we assumed Chris had slipped back in through a side entrance, so imagine our surprise when he walked back up towards the castle. Even though there was only a handful of people more than when he had last seen us he still stopped to talk to us and was still telling us to keep warm :nice: He signed some autographs this time and had his picture taken with those who hadn't had one. He was talking in depth to the Italian fans about plans for Coldplay to become smaller but better in the future, I have a video of a large part of it so will post it when it's up. Here's a picture for now :D

copy5.jpg?t=1261331127

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xVkWDQxPU]YouTube- Coldplay Exeter Homecoming - Chris in the queue[/ame]

He told us he was very late for soundcheck (obviously :P) and had to go, so I didn't get a chance to pass on the message Ben Jones (Absolute Radio) had asked me to via Twitter (sorry Ben, if you're reading :shame:)

Part 2 in a bit :)

If someone does have a full video of Merry Chrismas (War Is Over) I'd be very greatful if they'd upload it somewhere :D

just got in and uploaded this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZ5ae0vmrI]YouTube- Coldplay Merry Xmas (War is over) Live[/ame]

Ill post some more vids to youtube soon i expect.

enjoy

Mich!! You're back :dance:

Hope the journey was ok and your feet have returned to normal temperature :laugh3:

It was such a great day yesterday!! I was just looking at that group picture (thanks for posting that!) and thinking how incredibly lucky we were yesterday!

I'm so glad you and Chris were there at those vital moments since my camera had packed in.

Was great to meet you :D

just got in and uploaded this...

Ill post some more vids to youtube soon i expect.

enjoy

A late but warm welcome to Coldplaying!! :nice:

Thank you so much for coming out from behind the lurking :curtain: to share your video with us! :kiss:

Yes, please post more!

You know, I didn't think that if my chance ever came to meet any of them that I'd be able to hold a conversation. But I managed to talk to Chris and Guy and stay calm. I had my little hyper moment once they had gone :laugh3:

OMG! Could you BE any freak'n luckier?!?!?!? :shocked2:

I haven't had a chance to catch up with all the news yet, but I was so excited when I saw that you had got to talk to Chris and Guy! How on earth did you manage to not faint?!?! :laugh3:

BTW, did you pass on my message? ;)

OMG! Could you BE any freak'n luckier?!?!?!? :shocked2:

I haven't had a chance to catch up with all the news yet, but I was so excited when I saw that you had got to talk to Chris and Guy! How on earth did you manage to not faint?!?! :laugh3:

BTW, did you pass on my message? ;)

I'm sorry I didn't get to pass on your message :embarassed: I didn't get much of a chance to talk to guy, he wasn't as chatty as Chris :laugh3:

As for how I managed not to faint? I have no clue, I'm surprised I was as calm as I was!

Part 2

Coldplay soundchecked for a good 90 minutes, maybe more, they ran through the entire Viva setlist, Chris had said they were very rusty and hadn't played since September, as did Guy so I figure they were getting some extra practise in. We heard them practise War is Over which sounded amazing even then! Once it was over time really started to drag, with the excitement over we were all really feeling the cold, even with blankets, hats, scarves, gloves and thermals I think I can safely say we were all miserable for a good hour or so, although wouldn't admit at the time :P

However after lovely Alison got us a warm drink we got over the slump and things started to pick up again. A blacked out gate was erected to shield us normal people from the celebrities who were arriving, at least that's what the guard told us, as we were up the front we could see past it and we didn't see anyone other than the Tiverton Town Band arrive. :shrug:

The ticket scanners had come out and extra security were arriving so we knew things were starting to get going. During this time Phil had a wander down and we called him over. I think he recognised me and Chris from Wembley. He chatted to us for a bit, said we were insane to have waited for so long in the cold. We didn't take any pics cos I think he thought we were crazy enough as it was :lol: If you're reading Phil, I promise you we're not really, we are all pretty normal people usually :P

He was lovely though and said he hoped we made it to the front after we had queued so long and hoped we had fun :nice:

Shortly after that a journalist from the Exeter Express and Echo came and interviewed me, Chris, Alison and Karen and took our pics (I really hope they don't see the light of day, after 6 hours of standing outside I'm pretty sure we weren't looking our best :P) He asked us about where we'd travelled from and various questions about Coldplay and the gig :D

After the VIPs (including Kirstie Allsop, who had apparently helped design the marquee interior) had gone through it was finally our turn. We got to the front row easily and were blown away by how small it was inside, it looked like the venue for a school disco or a wedding reception, not where one of the biggest bands in the world were about to play.

copy6.jpg

We were also very excited by how close we were to the stage! :bomb:

copy7.jpg

We didn't have to wait long before the lovely Jo Whiley came on and said hello.

copy9.jpg

She welcomed us all and told us about Lily Allen pulling out and her replacement. Which turned out to be the Tiverton Town Band (she said on the radio today that Chris had persuaded them to play :D) They played some Christmas tunes and did very well, they seemed a bit nervous (obviously) but we cheered and clapped for them and they seemed to have fun :D

copy8.jpg

La Roux was on next, she was good, very sweet, made nervous conversation between songs, also said she was selling some of her hair for Mencap :uhoh: :lol: She sang well and danced like a loon (in a good way :D)

copy11.jpg

She finished with Bulletproof (which I recorded) and had really got the crowd going by the end.

copy10.jpg

Jo came back on to say thanks and that we should all get something to eat and drink and wait for the next act, which was of course...Coldplay :D

Final part in a min :D