✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

FINISHED! SOUTH AFRICA 2010 WORLD CUP!!

juanif94

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone a page back said Group A is the toughest group. Considering they don't have a single top 8 team, it's by far the weakest group. It's VERY competitive, but certainly not the strongest group. It's also inherently the weakest group because in the group selections, South Africa (the host country) was placed with the top 7 teams in the world.

FIFA Rankings of Group A Teams

France - 9

Uruguay - 16

Mexico - 17

South Africa - 83

I'm too lazy to find that comment, but while you're absolutely right, they probably meant that its one of the most competitive groups, in that, the two advancing teams are anything but obvious.

Because South Africa is in this group, there's no obvious frontrunner, and the mean of the other three teams is considerably higher than most groups where the teams are more widely spaced.

I'm sure France much rather have the US's spot in group C, where England is a shoo-in, but the other teams aren't much of a threat. And vice-versa. You'd be more comfortable with one much better opponent than two equal opponents in a group.

17 votes for Germany? holy shit.....I sooooo hope this is going to be true....youngest team ever----I don't know why....but this time I've got the feeling it will work...:uhoh:

I think the World Cup comes 4 years too early for the very young German squad so I don't really have a good feeling this time! :wacky: But on the other hand I had a similar opinion in 2002, 2006 and 2008. :D

Hopefully New Zealand will be successful, too. ;) I like underdogs!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Someone a page back said Group A is the toughest group. Considering they don't have a single top 8 team, it's by far the weakest group. It's VERY competitive, but certainly not the strongest group. It's also inherently the weakest group because in the group selections, South Africa (the host country) was placed with the top 7 teams in the world.

FIFA Rankings of Group A Teams

France - 9

Uruguay - 16

Mexico - 17

South Africa - 83

I wouldn't say it's the weakest group. Certainly it seems one of the most competitive. South Africa have won 12 in a row, and of course being hosts didn't have to qualify therefore participating in no qualifying matches, so their world ranking may not be entirely representative. Also the FIFA rankings are the biggest pile of crap. Why are Portugal ranked 3rd when they massively struggled to get to the World Cup. Why the hell are Croatia 10th when they've had a poor two years? England are probably a better team than Italy, Germany and Holland but find themselves behind all of them. Italy and Spain's group are arguably weaker groups (F and H respectively).

I wouldn't say it's the weakest group. Certainly it seems one of the most competitive. South Africa have won 12 in a row, and of course being hosts didn't have to qualify therefore participating in no qualifying matches, so their world ranking may not be entirely representative. Also the FIFA rankings are the biggest pile of crap. Why are Portugal ranked 3rd when they massively struggled to get to the World Cup. Why the hell are Croatia 10th when they've had a poor two years? England are probably a better team than Italy, Germany and Holland but find themselves behind all of them. Italy and Spain's group are arguably weaker groups (F and H respectively).

Well said, and I agree, but the FIFA rankings are the closest thing we have to a factual representation of a team's strength. It can give a general idea of how good a team is.

I have a really big feeling that SA is going to win the first game. They're going to be so fired up, all their fans being incredibly obnoxiously loud and excited. From there, I have no idea, but the first game I think is theirs.
I'm calling this one a 1-1 draw.

the difference between the group A and the other groups is that whoever passes the group is ok,and wont be a surprise ;)

South Africa is actually in a much tougher group than it could have been...considering the fact that it was immune from facing a top 7 team in the group stages, it could have been put in a group like Group E without Spain, which they could definitely make it out of.