✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

FINISHED! SOUTH AFRICA 2010 WORLD CUP!!

juanif94

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Uruguay can advance to the next round. I know, it's going to be difficult, but I think that we have good players and we will make it. France doesn't worry me too much. In my opinion the hardest match will be the one against Mexico.

Nani's out too - How would this 'injured XI' do in the World Cup?

Goalkeeper

Rene Adler (Germany)

The Bayer Leverkusen stopper was set to compete with Manuel Neuer for Germany's goalkeeping jersey until a rib injury required surgery in May. Adler is renowned as having excellent presence in the box and the mentality to be one of the world's top keepers. The 25-year-old has attracted attention from the likes of Arsenal, having spent his entire career at Bayer Leverkusen.

Defence

Rio Ferdinand (England)

The Manchester United skipper was set to appear in his fourth World Cup finals, an English record matched only by Bobby Charlton. Ferdinand was also going to captain his country in South Africa until he suffered a freak knee injury in training last week which will keep him out of the entire tournament. Ferdinand has struggled with injuries all season, but his natural ability and leadership qualities will be sorely missed by England.

Heiko Westermann (Germany)

Another German star to miss the World Cup. Schalke defender Westermann reads the game brilliantly and his positional sense is second-to-none. The 26-year-old is an all round excellent footballer and versatile too, able to play at left-back as well as centre-back. However, he fractured a bone in his left foot during Germany's 3-0 friendly victory over Hungary a couple of weeks ago.

Michael Essien (Ghana)

Not strictly speaking a defender, but there seem to be more midfielders injured than in any other position, and with Essien having played at centre-back and full-back during his time at Bastia and also having provided cover there for Chelsea, he could fill in. Essien is an exceptional athlete, very strong and tough in the tackle. He would add some steel to the defence, making it somewhat more robust. Essien ruptured medial knee ligaments in January and has yet to recover.

Lassana Diarra (France)

Again, not exactly a regular defender, but Diarra is able to provide cover at right-back and was used as a defender during his time at Chelsea. Diarra provides enormous energy to the side and is usually an archetypal box-to-box midfielder, but in this side he would help provide options both defensively and offensively on the right-hand side. Diarra's ability to stamp his authority on a game will be missed by what appears to be a lackluster France side. The 23-year-old picked up an intestine injury last month.

Midfield

Michael Ballack (Germany)

Possibly the biggest blow to Jorgi Low's Germany side is the absence of its captain and heartbeat, Michael Ballack. The 33-year-old is a veteran of almost 100 international appearances and still performs at the highest level with Chelsea. His dominant style was largely responsible for carrying a mediocre Germany side to the final of the 2002 World Cup, although he missed the final itself through suspension. A late tackle by Kevin Prince-Boateng in the FA Cup final resulted in an ankle injury for Ballack which will keep him out of what would have been his last World Cup finals.

Andrea Pirlo (Italy)

Possibly one of the best midfielders in the world, Pirlo's absence will be a real blow for world champions Italy. The AC Milan player could yet make the latter group games but is set to miss the start of the tournament after injuring a calf muscle against Mexico last week. Pirlo was the man of the match in the 2006 final and his passing ability and threat from set-pieces will be sorely missed by Marcello Lippi's side.

David Beckham (England)

The most recognizable footballer on the planet would add glamour and a different dimension to this side. Many admired the way in which the 35-year-old hauled himself back into World Cup contention, coming in from the footballing wilderness of the MLS to contribute meaningfully at AC Milan. Sadly, a snapped achilles wrecked his World Cup dream in March. There are still few in world football who can match Beckham's range of passing.

Nani (Portugal)

Nani was set to come into the tournament off the back of his best season yet. His six goals and eleven assists for Manchester United last season seemed to be the beginning of a fulfillment of his undoubted potential. However, Nani will be robbed of the chance to further prove himself on the biggest stage of all after it was confirmed that a shoulder injury would keep him out of the World Cup. Nani 's pace and dribbling skills would have been a real threat to defences alongside the ability of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Strikers

Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)

One of the most dangerous strikers in world football, Drogba will be sorely missed by Ivory Coast. Although they have other striking options, such as Dindane and Kalou, there is nobody quite like Drogba. Incredibly strong and powerful, the Chelsea striker is also lethal both inside and outside the box. That he finished as top scorer in last season's Premier League says it all. It is unclear how much of the tournament Drogba will miss, having had surgery on a fractured arm picked up last week against Japan.

Humberto Suazo (Chile)

Suazo was his country's top scorer in qualifying and just enjoyed a successful first season in Spain with Real Zaragoza. However, he suffered a hip injury against Israel last week and will miss at least part of the tournament. Neither particularly good in the air nor quick, yet Suazo has excellent movement, is very strong and has a habit of rising to the big occasion.

There are plenty of other top names who will also be unable to showcase their talents in South Africa. Should the following players have made the 'injured XI'?

John Obi Mikel (Nigeria)

Simon Rolfes (Germany)

Harry Kewell (Australia)

Tim Brown (New Zealand)

Lee Dong-Guk (South Korea)

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Nanis-out-too-How-would-this-injured-XI-do-in-the-World-Cup/8199/

Guest howyousawtheworld

Oh my god I've just remembered Pirlo's injured for the start! One of my favourite footballers that is such a MASSIVE missing link for Italy. One of the greatest playmakers ever.

Italy stinks. Not as much as France does, but it stinks anyway.

Even though I'm brazilian, I'll support Holland. While Brazil plays an "ugly" football, Holland plays a "beautiful" one. Also, they deserve it, specially after 74/78.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Even though I'm brazilian, I'll support Holland. While Brazil plays an "ugly" football, Holland plays a "beautiful" one. Also, they deserve it, specially after 74/78.

I really don't mind Italy. They encapsulate something about football that no other nation can capture! Holland aren't being talked about much which could work for them. Watch them run up the inside and surprise everyone?! And yeah, Brazil very much resemble the style of football of it's manager. Tough, strong but this time not much flair. In all honesty I think this Brazilian side is the weakest, in individual terms, for a good while. But they are very much a team and that's why they are with Spain favourites. I'd put in order of favourites:

Spain

Brazil

Argentina (they're here not because they have the best manager!)

England

Germany

Holland

Italy

France

Guest howyousawtheworld
If I were a betting man I would stick a fiver on Italy retaining the World Cup. Since I live round the corner from a bookies I might find myself wandering down for a bit of exercise....

They've got quite an old squad now and their defence isn't at it's strongest. Still with an old squad there's two arguments. The first is that they are too old and they will run out of gas quickly or their experience will carry them all the way.

In comparison with the last 2 or 3 world cups, it seems to be a lot tighter between the big teams. There's no team that looks like it will definitely rip other teams apart and look a strong favourite.

As exciting as last final was, I'm not fond of France or Italy so I was indifferent to whoever won. I would Love to see Holland finally win, God knows they're overdue.

I don't know that Brazilian soccer is ugly. It's not nearly as regimented as european soccer but its rather stimulating to watch (or maybe that's just my american ADD mentality speaking).

I know what you mean. The whole 'ENGERLUND' culture is pathetic and sickening. You got the stereotype just right - just typified by that **** Keith Allen in music videos such as 'Vindaloo' and 'World In Motion'. Quit the drinking and go on a fucking diet! Anyway - most of them are cockney shits who live make a living by claiming benefits in their east end slum and who gave a bad name to English football by introducing hooliganism! And the sector of the media filled with opinionated arses who make such a fuss about something as small as Rio Ferdinand getting injured! 'Ohhh DISASTER our World Cup is finished!' Stop overreacting you pricks and search for the solution to it instead o making melodramatic headlines you dicks! It's a section of the whole England bandwagon which IS a minority but such a badly tarnished minority that it's able to force it's fat sweaty body in to our camera lenses. But there are thoroughly decent England fans who deserve success from their team. They are loyal and patriotic, but not grotesque.

I even as a Scottish person am part of a small minority who wants to see England do well. I think there are more of us than people think, but obviously I won't be shouting out my support in the middle of the street because it's not accepted. We have to keep quiet! :laugh3: I hate those 'Engerlund' fans as much as those who hate England in general, but for just one moment I'd like many of my fellow Scots to have their mouths shut up and see that their obsession with hating England will bring them much embarassment and pain if England won the World Cup. They should stop with their ancient obsession with the 'auld enemy'. We've got to live in the modern age and the fact that England's major rivals are Argentina and Germany and my countries main rival is STILL England, shows how much we've got a stupid obsession with them AND how crap our football team is. MAYBE if we could set our sights on more ambitious targets in world football than just beating England then we might just stand a chance in the future. Bunch of backward ****s.

Rant OVER!

For some reason I find myself thinking many of these types of fans are Chelsea supporters:laugh3:.

I also fully agree about the England-Germany rivalry it's pathetic, the type of people who still give Germans grief and go on about stereotypes or mention WW2 make my skin crawl, the sad thing is it's only the English that tend to do it, go to Germany and they don't at all and you couldn't ask for nicer,friendlier more welcoming people.

I really don't mind Italy. They encapsulate something about football that no other nation can capture! Holland aren't being talked about much which could work for them. Watch them run up the inside and surprise everyone?! And yeah, Brazil very much resemble the style of football of it's manager. Tough, strong but this time not much flair. In all honesty I think this Brazilian side is the weakest, in individual terms, for a good while. But they are very much a team and that's why they are with Spain favourites. I'd put in order of favourites:

Spain

Brazil

Argentina (they're here not because they have the best manager!)

England

Germany

Holland

Italy

France

France? I'd put there Portugal instead. They have good players but they aren't going through a good moment right now as a team.

Brazilian football is UGLY?! The Brazilians play the most beautiful football of anyone on the planet. Ever since Pele, they've always been a joy to watch.

"The English invented football, the Brazilians perfected it."

interesting, strange how the U.S. disappeared from the WC for 40 years after that.

On a different note, I forgot how close the 2002 U.S-Germany quarterfinal was. We basically got robbed by a clear handball that would've tied a game the U.S. was controlling. With all the casualties in this year's German team, they're hardly the brickwall I've been making them out to be in the likely event the U.S. does qualify second.

really hope australia makes it to the 2nd round. we have little or not chance against germany. ghana is a must win match especially now that they are essien-less. serbia is going to be like our game against croatia at the last world cup. its really going to go down to our players just being on task on the night.

of course beating or drawing with germany to begin with would be ideal but highly unlikely. although we have a experienced team than last time, theyre all 4 years older and most are on the wrong side of 30. and we no longer have guus hiddink.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Brazilian football is UGLY?! The Brazilians play the most beautiful football of anyone on the planet. Ever since Pele, they've always been a joy to watch.

"The English invented football, the Brazilians perfected it."

What?! The Dutch and Spaniards play better football than the Brazilians this time round. The Brazilian side this year breaks from the norm in that it's more akin to a traditional Italy side than that of the traditional Brazil side. They are modelled around a good strong defence and are overall an efficient team but lacks the skill and charisma of previous Brazil sides. There is no player that can match the pure brilliance of a Pele, Ronaldo, Rivaldo or Ronaldinho this time round. Dunga has transformed them into an image of his own style of football when he was a player and he was a tough strong player in his day, not a elegant player who played sexy football. Anyone expecting the same style of football from Brazil as they've traditionally been seen to play have not been told the truth! It doesn't mean they'll be bad on the eye like a team managed by Sam Allardyce, as a team they will look good on the field, but just don't expect 'around the worlds' and nut megs all over this time round.

_48028231_iniesta.jpg

Iniesta scan reveals minor injury

Spain playmaker Andres Iniesta has a minor thigh injury, according to the national team's doctor. The Barcelona player was taken off in the 39th minute of Spain's 6-0 victory over Poland on Tuesday. "As he wasn't comfortable, we made the change - it's a minor muscle injury," said Dr Oscar Celada.

Iniesta, who missed much of the end of the La Liga season because of a thigh problem, helped set up Spain's first two goals in their World Cup warm-up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8729849.stm