✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday becomes as big as Madonna or U2?

HBK-79

Hey there, fellow CP fans. I know there are tons of people who hate Avril Lavigne. But consider pop music artists like Justin Timberlake. Singers like Timberlake were widely disrespected early in their careers, but then gained a good amount of acceptance from the populace.

So...

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne legitimately becomes as popular and well-respected as Madonna or U2?

Before anyone starts flaming me, there are several plausible arguments that I would like to express.

Hypothetically speaking, let’s say-

- She leaves behind the ‘punk princess’ image, and entirely re-invents her style

- She advances her music and demonstrates artistic growth

- She secures her credibility and establishes her authenticity

- She crafts some unique, high-caliber music that withstands time

- She stops writing cookie-cutter girly songs about boys, and starts recording depth-filled songs that contain vastly profound lyrics

- She ditches the trendy MTV crowd, and reaches out to a more general, adult audience of discerning listeners

- She sets herself apart from all the other female pop artists- i.e. Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Ke$ha, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, Shakira, Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, and Lindsay Lohan

Given these supposed conditions-

How would you feel if Avril builds up a massive fanbase worldwide? How would you feel if she sustains a thriving career, achieves continued relevance, and exhibits considerable staying power?

How would you feel if Avril eventually earns a level of regard and longevity comparable to that of Madonna or U2? How would you feel if she someday cements such an iconic reputation twenty years from now?

Oh yea- I hope not to hear sarcastic nonsense like “Lord help us” or “That’s like hell in a hand basket”. I’m just asking for an open-minded and well-thought-out discussion among adults here. That’s all.

Thank you.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you feel if Avril builds up a massive fanbase worldwide?
She already has done? Otherwise we wouldn't know who she is and you wouldn't have posted this thread! ;)

Her fans did that viral girlfriend youtube thing and she probably filled a void in the industry making her popular in the process. Whether you like her music or not is a different matter and her longevity is down to her own ability to adapt in the music industry. I doubt she would be able to reach the heights that madonna did unless she branched her music out.

(as for my feelings about her, well particularly neutral since I don't listen to her albums nor follow her music)

There's too many questions in your post HBK. Hahahaha.

As for the one in bold. The answer kind of lays in the question, no?

"How would you feel if Avril Lavigne legitimately becomes as popular and well-respected as Madonna or U2?" If she gets that popular and well-respected, than I guess I would see her as a popular well-respected artist .... :thinking:

I don't see the point of this discussion.

To answer the question though, I honestly couldn't care any less. I choose the music I listen to, not a general opinion, so it would not affect me at all because I just don't like that type of music. But comparing Avril Lavigne to U2 or Madonna (coming from someone who isn't terribly fond of either).. not even when hell freezes over. :nice:

LOL at this whole thread.

WHAT IF BEIBER BECOMES THE NEXT ELVIS!

:laugh3: How would you feel if the Jonas Brothers became the next Radiohead?

I'm reminded of a quote by the great sports radio host, Jim Rome:

"If my aunt had a set of nuts, she'd be my uncle." The question acts as if the distinguishing feature is a minor one. Yeah, if Avril could achieve everything that Madonna and/or U2 accomplished, I wouldn't have a problem giving her respect. But the odds of that happening are close to nil.

Guest howyousawtheworld

One hit wonder with that Skater Boi or whatever it was....and that was YEARS AGO when I was in my last year at primary school!