✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How would you feel if Avril Lavigne someday becomes as big as Madonna or U2?

HBK-79

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea- I hope not to hear sarcastic nonsense like “Lord help us” or “That’s like hell in a hand basket”. I’m just asking for an open-minded and well-thought-out discussion among adults here. That’s all.

It will never happen in a million years. She's totally useless.:rolleyes:

This has to be the most random topic I've ever seen in the music forum.

Oh and Avril Lavigne doesn't even have a career now.

LOL at this whole thread.

WHAT IF BEIBER BECOMES THE NEXT ELVIS!

"How would you feel if Avril Lavigne legitimately becomes as popular and well-respected as Madonna or U2?"

Confused. I would feel profoundly confused.

this is so random

how would I feel?

would I give a damn?

sk8ter boi? If someone was to become the next Madonna, they should at least be able to spell skater boy :|

hi HBK! welcome to the cold harsh place we call World of Music. i hope we didnt scare you too badly, this is just our way of saying welcome :)

• 3 weeks later...
When was the last time she had a hit single? I don't see her going anywhere, to be honest. She's had her time.

She's totally useless.:rolleyes:

Avril Lavigne doesn't even have a career now.

I haven't heard from Avril in ages. Literally. It's like she's disappeared from the face of the music industry.

No chance she'll even come close to Madonna or U2... she kind of disappeared.

One hit wonder with that Skater Boi or whatever it was....and that was YEARS AGO when I was in my last year at primary school!

On the contrary- She's had a handful of hit singles since 2002. She released I'm With You, Don't Tell Me, My Happy Ending, Nobody's Home, Keep Holding On, When You're Gone, and (regrettably) Girlfriend. Maybe those singles didn't chart as high as Complicated or Sk8er Boi, but they did find themselves on mainstream radio. Plus, she's coming out with her fourth album this March.

Maybe you guys weren't paying attention?:p:shrug:

:laugh3: How would you feel if the Jonas Brothers became the next Radiohead?

The last time I checked, Avril wasn't on the Disney Channel.:smug:

Yeah, the lyrics to Sk8er Boi were regrettable. I can't believe I know that song. She does get some radio airplay; I will give her credit for that.

The main idea of this tread was to ask what if she eventually moves beyond writing those types of songs. She's already done that with her sophomore album.

The answer kind of lays in the question, no?

"How would you feel if Avril Lavigne legitimately becomes as popular and well-respected as Madonna or U2?" If she gets that popular and well-respected, than I guess I would see her as a popular well-respected artist .... :thinking:

Good point. Thank you for the positive response.:thumbsup:

This thread is just.. unsettling.

I came up with this thread after seeing the whole buzz about Britney's comeback last year. I was wondering how people would react if Avril achieved a similar level of commercial success.

I don't see what is so unsettling about this topic.:blank:

(I apologize for the delay in my response.)

I used to like Avril a lot as a child, and there are some songs that I like, or maybe I like them just for nostalgia.

One thing I do know, she went down hill and bad.

The last song she did was Alice, and I guess it was nice for a few listens but I got tired of it.

By that, I knew I grew up and moved on.

She has a new album coming up tho, it isn't really an obligation for the artist to make an album right after the last album.

But I lost so much respect for her.

Oddly, she loves Coldplay.. or not so odd since Taylor Swift does so too, and Milerz Czyruz.

And what's up with Black Star? It's so cheesy and the song sucks, wikipedia says that it has some "Coldplay feel to it".

I'm not some Coldplay fangirl mentioning Coldplay, but she apparently has a lot to do with them.

I would be baffled. Not trying to troll or anything, but I cannot see her being as big as U2/Madonna, etc.

If I feel that she tried to recreate her image, it wouldn't go all that well - she's known as a 'punk rock princess' (excellent Something Corporate song, by the way XD), and that's what people will always think of her as. I read somewhere she's trying to go for a more acoustic feel for her next album, but to me, she'll always be Avril Lavigne - female pop punk star.

LOL at this whole thread.

WHAT IF BEIBER BECOMES THE NEXT ELVIS!

HAHAHAHA! :lol:

No seriously, I wouldn't feel anything, maybe a little bit annoyed because she would be on TV all the time, and then I just wouldn't listen to her music.

She's shit.

Personally I hope she never gets that popular unless she changes her style in a BIG way.

The set of hypothetical accomplishments you listed in the first post could be applied to anyone. Which takes away any any uniqueness this discussion would have. I don't see the point in applying this situation to her.

I would be baffled. Not trying to troll or anything, but I cannot see her being as big as U2/Madonna, etc.

If I feel that she tried to recreate her image, it wouldn't go all that well - she's known as a 'punk rock princess' (excellent Something Corporate song, by the way XD), and that's what people will always think of her as. I read somewhere she's trying to go for a more acoustic feel for her next album, but to me, she'll always be Avril Lavigne - female pop punk star.

I couldn't care less.

Listen, guys. I came up with this thread because artists like Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears became quite successful years after their teen idol days. And they've come a long way since 1999. So I was thinking how people would react if the same thing happened to Avril.

All I wanted was a refined, respectful discussion among adults here.

Seriously- How is that too much to ask of you guys?

On the contrary- She's had a handful of hit singles since 2002. She released I'm With You, Don't Tell Me, My Happy Ending, Nobody's Home, Keep Holding On, When You're Gone, and (regrettably) Girlfriend. Maybe those singles didn't chart as high as Complicated or Sk8er Boi, but they did find themselves on mainstream radio. Plus, she's coming out with her fourth album this March.

Maybe you guys weren't paying attention?:p:shrug:

Weren't the first like 3 of those on the same album as Complicated?

And hit singles don't make huge artists, it's albums that do it. People come and go with singles all the time, but it's albums that make their mark on pop music. Will she sell over 100 million albums? No, she won't.

I said her career is over because her peak is gone, and her image is in the middle of nowhere right now, I don't know what kind of artist she is now. Basically 'Girlfriend' was a rare hit but mainly because it was distinct and stupid little kids seemed to like it, its not regarded as a big song. When she started out she reminded us a million times how she plays her own instrument (Very badly at the time) and that she sings live and she doesn't need to dance and dress like a Britney Spears whore because shes a respectable person- and last time I saw her she was lipsynching, not playing an instrument, dancing like a whore, wearing a little skirt, just being everything she said she would never be. Total hypocrite, and a tool, pretentious woman.

My friends brother was listening to Avril Livigne earlier today... and to answer the question: I would thoroughly dislike that :P

I have a question for all of you.

Would you guys condemn and how outright disrespect toward people like me for listening to Avril Lavigne or any other female artist? Why or why not?