✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay Christmas Song 2010! Christmas Lights // behind-the-scenes footage in first post (parts

antshar

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at the start, when Chris finishes the piano and he leaves it to go to the center of the stage, he looks as if he is landing on the mark and staring as he sings "Hey am I standing in the right place?":lol:

:laugh3: I thought the same!

Actually at the end the video looked exactly like how we saw it being filmed except much more closer and in pace with the track. Like for the plank that lifts Chris up went a bit more quicker than on the actual video and it seemed a bit weird/creepy.

Not sure if this has been posted, but this thread is mammoth and I'm a sleepy girl, so if it has, I apologise:

Coldplay’s Christmas Lights by Mat Whitecross

ColdplayChristmas.jpg

All I want for Christmas is a trio of violin-playing Elvis impersonators… Coldplay take time out from recording their new album with a rare one-off single in the form of this seasonal jolly and enlist Mat Whitecross to direct the proceedings.

“Every Coldplay shoot involves a leap of faith” explains Whitecross. “The band are always intuitive and overflowing with great ideas. My job is to try and compress as many of them as humanly possible into a four minute track”.

“Chris and Phil approached me three weeks ago to do a simple low budget video for their Christmas single. Just me, the band and a handycam, walking down Oxford Street at midnight.

“A week later we’d narrowed the location down to their studio, a music hall, a central London rooftop, or possibly even Marble Arch. But finally we found ourselves on the banks of the Thames, building a huge stage, spraying confetti and setting off fireworks in front of a boatful of a hundred fans.

“The band are the most generous, trusting and loyal friends you could ever hope for. Working with them is like making a family video on a Hollywood budget. It doesn’t get any better than this”.

Coldplay

Christmas Lights (Parlophone)

Director: Mat Whitecross

Producer: Hannah Clark

Production Company: Between The Eyes @ Pulse

Exec. Producer: Ben Pugh

Representation: OBmanagement

DP: Robbie Ryan

Production Designer: Misty Buckley

Construction: Steel Monkey

Production Manager: Natalie Bayle

Balloons: iLoom

Post Production: Marc Knapton @ Brewery FX

TK: Simone Grattarola @ Rushes

Commissioner: James Hackett

http://www.loops.net/go/news/15517959/coldplays_christmas_lights_by_mat_whitecross/

:surprised: I would have LOVED a video with a handycam and a walk down Oxford Street!

Not that I don't like this one, of course :D. I just often think simple is better, and that that idea sounds like it could have been beautiful :wacky:. But it wouldn't have allowed for fan participation, I suppose...

:surprised: I would have LOVED a video with a handycam and a walk down Oxford Street!

Not that I don't like this one, of course :D. I just often think simple is better, and that that idea sounds like it could have been beautiful :wacky:. But it wouldn't have allowed for fan participation, I suppose...

And it might have turned out far too similar to The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" video.:P

Or that part of the Scientist, which is what immediately sprung to mind :P. But still, I like those kinds of videos best. It could have become one of those Chris-centric videos, though, which would have been unfortunate.

However, I think their fame is such that filming a walk down Oxford Street, even late at night, could have caused a lot of logistical difficulties.

can someone help me pls?

I'm desperate to download the original track but itunes and amazon won't let me download it from my country :/ I'm from Malta...a tiny little island just under sicily. anyway...

the coldplay website said it can be downloaded from all digital stores. what else is there apart from itunes and amazon? any help would be much appreciated

Ah Chelsea I love your sig pic! That's my gave part of the vid. So pretty :nice:

^ Mine too :wacko:

Mine too :wacky:. It's my desktop as well :P

That beautiful zoom out was the big surprise of the video for me and I just teared up when you could see St. Paul's and all the Christmas lights in the trees and the stage...*sigh*

can someone help me pls?

I'm desperate to download the original track but itunes and amazon won't let me download it from my country :/ I'm from Malta...a tiny little island just under sicily. anyway...

the coldplay website said it can be downloaded from all digital stores. what else is there apart from itunes and amazon? any help would be much appreciated

Hmm, is there a place you usually download music from? I just checked play.com, one of the only other places I know of to legally download, and they don't seem to have it :thinking:.

OH! Can you access HMV? Try this: http://www.hmvdigital.com/artist/coldplay/christmas-lights

In some countries it is just not possible (including mine) :cry:

I don´t understand it, I can order anything from amazon or any other e-shop, but not downloadable stuff. :cry:

We don´t have any such digital music stores.

We have apple store, but only iphones and other devices can be bought there, not i-tunes :-(

hmv still won't let me...i'm oldschool and usually just buy physical opies and stuff

thanx for the help though

I prefer physical copies as well...I'll try to think of other places, but honestly, these days iTunes and Amazon really have the market on legal downloads, which is good because most people immediately think of those places and know where to get things legally without having to contemplate it, but it sucks for people that can't access those sites or who are adamantly opposed to supporting them :\

In some countries it is just not possible (including mine) :cry:

I don´t understand it, I can order anything from amazon or any other e-shop, but not downloadable stuff. :cry:

We don´t have any such digital music stores.

We have apple store, but only iphones and other devices can be bought there, not i-tunes :-(

same :/

THE STROKES :wideeyed:

Can I take credit for that purchase? :P

[O/T sorry]

of course! :P gotta luv the strokes

back on-topic, I would have loved to see how they would have done the walking down Oxford street, with fans as well :P

I think at the start, when Chris finishes the piano and he leaves it to go to the center of the stage, he looks as if he is landing on the mark and staring as he sings "Hey am I standing in the right place?":lol:

I agree! That's the one part of the video that I don't like. It seems awkward. Maybe it's because when Chris isn't at the piano we are accustomed to seeing him either with a guitar or romping around with a mike, not just standing in a line with Jonny and Guy.

I agree! That's the one part of the video that I don't like. It seems awkward. Maybe it's because when Chris isn't at the piano we are accustomed to seeing him either with a guitar or romping around with a mike, not just standing in a line with Jonny and Guy.

And if you look closely you can see a blue chalk cross to the right of Chris' head when he lying on the floor by the piano earlier on (0:41). :)

An auction for a copy of the single just came up on eBay. I added it to my watch list and ten minutes later the auction had ended (I'm guessing the seller took it down because there were no listed bids).

Must've been a fake, right?

There were no pics of the actual single, only the artwork. The seller, however, had 99% positive reviews... :thinking:

Oh, well, it's gone now, anyway.